Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania... Contact Manufacturer

Options
  • 01-01-2011 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Last January I bought a Razer deathadder mouse from Pixmania, a few days ago it stopped working. I filled in a form on Pixmania using the "Returning a product to the After-Sales Service" link. I then waited for a response from Pixmania, which I didnt receive.

Yesterday I emailed Pixmania, explaining the situation and asked them for an RMA. I received this response:
    Thank you for your e-mail.

In reply to your question, please note that The best people to help you regarding your questions would be the manufacturer.

They will give you further information on where to get the problem fixed.

We thank you for your comprehension.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions regarding your order.

Best regards,
    Your customer care agent

I didn't expect such a nonsense response, they obviously didn't read my email properly.

I just wanted someone to tell me whether or not Pixmania are responsible as the retailer to handle faulty goods and offer a repair or replacement, Pixmania operate under French law which is stated on their website. As far as I am aware, under Irish law they would be responsible and not be allowed to basically fob me off with a reply to contact the manufacturer. Surely French and European Union law are similar to the Irish law.

So, is Pixmania wrongfully advising me to contact the manufacturer or should I send them another email asking for them to set up an RMA?

Thanks for any responses.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Pixmania is part of DSG (PC World & Curry's), they are responsible for handling the item as it was they who sold it and it is under 12months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

Pixmania is part of DSG (PC World & Curry's), they are responsible for handling the item as it was they who sold it and it is under 12months old.

Thanks, I have emailed them again, will update on the situation when I receive a reply from them.

OH you'll get the run around alright, they are past masters at not answering and passing the buck just search on here for horror stories about them

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

I would'ent even bother dealing with them, as Muster says search here for horror stories. I had an issue with them this time last year over a computer case that arrived in pieces. They tried the same tact with me i eventually opened a dispute resolution with paypay who fully refunded me. Their service is a disgraceful to say the least, would never order from them again.

I would forget about it but the mouse was €45 and I really like it :o, the only reason I use Pixmania is because they offer next day delivery and more importantly, payment by Laser Card.

A MoneyBookers Mastercard is in the post for me as we speak, so it'll be Dabs.ie from now on I think.

Once I had a problem with an order from Dabs, I emailed them got a terrible response so emailed them again, and the situation was solved instantly with no problems.

Its shocking that in 2011 a big company like Pixmania gives responses such as contact the manufacturer.

If only Maplin & Pc World had realistic/reasonable prices on computer hardware then there would be no need for all this hassle, just jump in the car, and have the item in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

But buying from PC World is the exact same thing, they are the same holding company: DSG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'd have to agree with the other posters - pixmania are the worst in the world when it comes to customer service - I would never buy from them again after not receiving a refund for a product that was never even received - their very unhelpful responses took weeks to be sent out, were of no relation to the issue and just seem to be designed to pi$$ the customers off to the point where they give up. I can only presume their corporate strategy is focused on getting new suckers customers on board rather that promoting any kind of customer loyalty or satisfaction. Best of luck with your problem - you'll need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But buying from PC World is the exact same thing, they are the same holding company: DSG

But PC World are fairly decent when it comes to returning faulty hardware, Pixmania are not, regardless of what the parent company is.

Only if you are savve enough of the relevant consumer law etc but yes its easier shove the faulty equipment and tell them where to shove it if they don't sort it when you can stand in front of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Only if you are savve enough of the relevant consumer law

That hasn't been my experience with PC World at all, they've been brilliant each time I've had to deal with customer care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I suggest that you try the manufacturer as if they're willing to help they'll be easier to deal with than Pix. They have no obligation to help you unless they've provided a manufacturer's warranty but that doesn't mean that they won't.

Pix "have" to help you but they're notoriously hard to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anything I've bought in PC world with regards video cards/mouse/keyboard/and similar, if there's a problem, it's generally easy to resolve it there and then in store. Pixmania....don't want to accept any responsibility full stop. I had a board that developed a fault after a few months and I was told I had to ship it back to Taiwan!

Right, got a reply from them
    Thank you for contacting us.

You indicate that you desire to return the product for a repair.

We inform you that right now this product is on its first year of warrantee, which has to be covered directly by the manufacturer.

We attatch you the steps you have to follow, in order to obtain the manufacturer´s data:
    Enter in you personal field Pix & Me in our web page, by clikcking here.
    On the field "order tracking", cose the order related to this product.
    Once on the order, on the coger part of the page, click on the link "You want to obtain help over your product?"
    Choose the order related to the defective product.
    After that, you will find the details of the manufacturer, or a link to the corresponding website.

We hope that this process will help you on the repair of your product.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any other question.

Isn't it the other way around, the first year is covered by Pixmania then the following years is the manufacturer?

The steps they suggest to take, I have actually done twice.

I emailed Razer asking them for their advice regarding the situation, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I've got a feeling Pixmania are trying to fob me off until after the 14th so they wont be responsible.

It seems no matter what I say in the emails, they ignore most of it and send back an almost automated response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This from the consumer connect website, it is an interperation of the act elating to your problem:

Faulty goods FAQs

Q1. What are my rights in respect of faulty goods?

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 gives legal rights to consumers in their dealings with retailers and service suppliers. The Act empowers consumers to take action for themselves. Most issues under the Act are civil legal matters to be dealt with between the parties to the contract.
    Under the Act, goods should be:
    Of merchantable quality - the goods are of an acceptable standard
    As described - false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
    Fit for intended purpose - be fit for the purpose they were bought for
    Correspond to the sample
    Where goods do not conform to the above criteria, you are entitled under the Act to seek a repair, replacement or a refund.
    The legislation does not specify whether it is the retailer/supplier or the customer who chooses the form of redress to be offered.
    However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.
    You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

As it says the 2 parties to the contract are the retailer (pix) and you. No mention of the manufacture.

This is the actual act is here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

You are right, stick to your guns, they are responsible. As long as the fault is a manufacturing fault they have to rectify it. If it due to ware ant tear, your on your own.

Minimum they should do is look at the item, decide if it is a manufacturing fault and then fix or replace it. They could offer a refund but after 11 months use it would be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dkmedia wrote: »
    Right, got a reply from them

Isn't it the other way around, the first year is covered by Pixmania then the following years is the manufacturer?

The steps they suggest to take, I have actually done twice.

I emailed Razer asking them for their advice regarding the situation, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I've got a feeling Pixmania are trying to fob me off until after the 14th so they wont be responsible.

It seems no matter what I say in the emails, they ignore most of it and send back an almost automated response.

Razer give a 2 year manufacturer's warranty on their wired mice.

After sending them the email yesterday, with a copy of the "EU DIRECTIVE-1999/44/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 25 May 1999" and asking them to comply with the law or else pass me onto their superior, I've just received an email from them:
    We apologise for the trouble with your product.

Please note that a return coupon has been filled in and sent to you with the invoice via a seperate email (returns will not be dealt with without it). Explain exactly why you are returning the item and also include a copy of the invoice inside the parcel.

Finally getting somewhere with them, they said expect a month delay.
    It amazes me that they know full well that they are responsible, yet they try and pawn me off hoping that I will forget about it.

I betcha its going to be quite a battle getting the shipping refunded though, but I'll make sure I get it no matter how little it is!

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I will update on the situation whenever theres an update.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This from the consumer connect website, it is an interperation of the act elating to your problem:

Faulty goods FAQs

Q1. What are my rights in respect of faulty goods?

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 gives legal rights to consumers in their dealings with retailers and service suppliers. The Act empowers consumers to take action for themselves. Most issues under the Act are civil legal matters to be dealt with between the parties to the contract.
    Under the Act, goods should be:
    Of merchantable quality - the goods are of an acceptable standard
    As described - false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
    Fit for intended purpose - be fit for the purpose they were bought for
    Correspond to the sample
    Where goods do not conform to the above criteria, you are entitled under the Act to seek a repair, replacement or a refund.
    The legislation does not specify whether it is the retailer/supplier or the customer who chooses the form of redress to be offered.
    However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.
    You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

As it says the 2 parties to the contract are the retailer (pix) and you. No mention of the manufacture.

This is the actual act is here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

You are right, stick to your guns, they are responsible. As long as the fault is a manufacturing fault they have to rectify it. If it due to ware ant tear, your on your own.

Minimum they should do is look at the item, decide if it is a manufacturing fault and then fix or replace it. They could offer a refund but after 11 months use it would be unusual.

That's all well and good - Apart from the fact Pixmania operate under French law, not Irish.

Well done OP, quoting the EU Directive seems to have jolted them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

dkmedia wrote: »
    After sending them the email yesterday, with a copy of the "EU DIRECTIVE-1999/44/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 25 May 1999" and asking them to comply with the law or else pass me onto their superior, I've just received an email from them:

Finally getting somewhere with them, they said expect a month delay.
    It amazes me that they know full well that they are responsible, yet they try and pawn me off hoping that I will forget about it.

I betcha its going to be quite a battle getting the shipping refunded though, but I'll make sure I get it no matter how little it is!

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I will update on the situation whenever theres an update.

Your getting the exact same email responses as i am. Pix are ridiculous. I bought 2 dvd players for my sons for xmas and when they opened them that morning one of the screens wasnt working and I have to go through the same route you do! its a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

whiterebel wrote: »
    That's all well and good - Apart from the fact Pixmania operate under French law, not Irish.

Well done OP, quoting the EU Directive seems to have jolted them a bit.

Correct:
    from here: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/conditions.html#cgv_7

13. Litigation and responsibility
    This contract shall come under French law. Pixmania will not be held responsible should our contract with you fail, for example, because of an Act of God, such as defined by French courts, or because of the User’s fault, or because of some unforeseen or insurmountable problem with a third party. We remind you that it is wise to save your data for purchased products. Pixmania will not be held liable for the poor use and their consequences on the products purchased from our Site. Although our products have performance that is compatible with professional usage, Pixmania does not sell products for professional.

I didn't realize this, does that apply to all internet sites; your rights are the rights afforded to consumers in the country the company is registered in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

I am still trying to get a refund from them for a product returned and received by them almost 5 months ago! They should be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I know what it's like to deal with Pixmania and to be honest, I would now always contact the manufacturer directly myself.

They will either send out a courier or SAE to have the faulty product returned, provide you with a tracking option and send the repaired / replaced product back to you much quicker than Pixmania.

You are completely correct in asserting your rights, but if you want the item returned in working order as quickly as possible, dealing directly with the manufacturer is far easier & quicker.

Hi everyone,

On Wednesday I received a brand new mouse from Pixmania as a replacement, they sent it to me with next day delivery. I didn't expect to receive a replacement so soon, I woke up and saw the email saying the mouse was shipped & about 2 hours later UPS were at the door with the mouse.

Its a pity that its so difficult to get Pixmania to take back the products in the first place as they seem to replace the faulty items quite fast.

I'll email them the An Post receipt later on to get the return costs reimbursed, hopefully it'll be straightforward.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!:)

A final update for this thread, I got the postage cost refunded around 2 weeks ago, it was only 4.85 but its better in my bank account than Pixmania's :D

Thankfully everything worked out for me in the end, got a new mouse and ended up costing me nothing.

Best thing I ever did was to quote that EU directive, worked recently with Dabs.ie :p

Advertisement