Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes - Strange behaviour after the thaw

Options
  • 01-01-2011 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Ever since the thaw, I have heard foxes barking louder and more often than ever before.

They start as early at 7PM and bark well until 5AM. They are coming closer to the house, barking and mating in the garden under light, which they have never done before. Very unusual.

Has anyone else in the fringes of South Dublin noticed this?

Perhaps they are making up for lost time? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Cycling home from work at 2am last night I heard what sounded like a raping in Stephen's Green. As I listened more it became clearer that it was a fox or some animal screaming away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah a fox's scream can be bloodcurdling! It's horrible to hear outside your window!

Seems some of the animals got lulled into a false sense of spring after the first snow & subsequent thaw, when the temperatures started to rise slightly, they thought it was spring & therefore began to mate. (happened with rabbits so I've been told) So this might be affecting other animals too, when the temperature goes up after the freezing weather, the thaw might be tricking them into believing it's spring and they're mating too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The poor critters are starving in this weather, people should show compassion and leave out food scraps, dog food, milk etc for them and all this commotion would soon stop. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

My aunt in Dalkey handfeeds them at her door....i think its only right, poor feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

benwavner wrote: »
    My aunt in Dalkey handfeeds them at her door....i think its only right, poor feckers.

If you look after a young fox it will become very loyal and friendly. These are very intelligent creatures and should be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

If you look after a young fox it will become very loyal and friendly. These are very intelligent creatures and should be protected.

I agree. In the summer I noticed an increase of foxes around the Dalkey/Killiney area, on the roads and in the gardens. mainly when I was driving.

Since then if we are driving that way, myself and the OH will make sure we bring whatever spare meat we have in the house and toss it out the car window to the foxes as we crawl by.

Poor feckers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i was told the opposite:confused:..... you can never tame a fox,....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

thebullkf wrote: »
    You only hear that from fox killers (Hunters)

Foxes make the most adorable affectionate pets.

I would love to have one as a pet now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjqkBcZLwVY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

thebullkf wrote: »

That's a myth.

Though some animals cannot be tamed, usually due to their size, Foxes can be, and make good pets. They are not popular due to their menacing and "un-cute" look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7898259.stm

In fairness, they do look a bit scary.. and that banshee bark! :eek:

On the extreme side, hippos are fierce animals, and kill the most people in Africa than any other animal. Yet, they can be tamed.

And lions :)

Anyway, I'm glad this thread raised some awareness about our foxes. They are slowly but surely being pushed out of our suburbs with nowhere to go.

In Dublin, the fox population is decreasing, along with deer and badger. :(

Final thoughts:

The now extinct Irish Elk was the largest deer of it's kind in the World.

pBpQj.jpg

lTx4wfxIBZ.jpg
    Bfzn4
    jmRwy.jpg

And don't forget about our wolves. They were a very important part of Irish life and mythology.
    They became extinct on this island only 300 years ago.

Our anscestors called them 'Mac tíre', "Sons of the Land". They were highly respected but eventually died out. Your own dog has Irish wolf blood. Respect your dog!

Ekpb2.jpg

And finally, the native Irish Eurasian Bear. It became extinct on this island about 1,500 years ago.

9h97c.jpg

But you will be glad to know that some Eurasian bears are still living wild in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. Also in Russia and parts of Northern Europe.

But they are on the edge of extinction. :(

You will now understand how important foxes are in Ireland.

Listen to them bark and be happy that they are sill around, because they, too, will become extinct in Dublin County.

We have feck-all native animals left, so please respect the foxes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you shouldn't tame a wild animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

That's a myth.

Though some animals cannot be tamed, usually due to their size, Foxes can be, and make good pets. They are not popular due to their menacing and "un-cute" look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7898259.stm

In fairness, they do look a bit scary.. and that banshee bark! :eek:

On the extreme side, hippos are fierce animals, and kill the most people in Africa than any other animal. Yet, they can be tamed.

And lions :)

Anyway, I'm glad this thread raised some awareness about our foxes. They are slowly but surely being pushed out of our suburbs with nowhere to go.

In Dublin, the fox population is decreasing, along with deer and badger. :(

Final thoughts:

The now extinct Irish Elk was the largest deer of it's kind in the World.

pBpQj.jpg

lTx4wfxIBZ.jpg
    Bfzn4
    jmRwy.jpg

And don't forget about our wolves. They were a very important part of Irish life and mythology.
    They became extinct on this island only 300 years ago.

Our anscestors called them 'Mac tíre', "Sons of the Land". They were highly respected but eventually died out. Your own dog has Irish wolf blood. Respect your dog!

Ekpb2.jpg

And finally, the native Irish Eurasian Bear. It became extinct on this island about 1,500 years ago.

9h97c.jpg

But you will be glad to know that some Eurasian bears are still living wild in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. Also in Russia and parts of Northern Europe.

But they are on the edge of extinction. :(

You will now understand how important foxes are in Ireland.

Listen to them bark and be happy that they are sill around, because they, too, will become extinct in Dublin County.

We have feck-all native animals left, so please respect the foxes. :)

I was completely ignorant to all of the above.. :o I saw what looked like a starving fox on Tivoli Road a few months ago and thought it was highly unusual.. obviously not. :(

Thanks for the really interesting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bradidup wrote: »
    You only hear that from fox killers (Hunters)

Foxes make the most adorable affectionate pets.

I would love to have one as a pet now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjqkBcZLwVY

That looks completely unnatural, the fox looks absolutely wired and startled.
    Seems quite cruel to keep a naturally nocturnal animal awake during the day.
    I can understand if the fox has been rescued or whatever but just getting a fox for sake of having it as a pet seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The person in the video said that the fox was just like a dog. For a person running a wildlife sanctuary he seems to know nothing about animals. He should have released it ages ago. It proabably has no experience hunting now so he has totally made it dependent on him.

Advertisement