Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

in his 70's

• 01-01-2011 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondered if any of you have any advice on where to start?

My fil is in his 70's, he recently had a fall and smashed his arm, he came to stay with us in our apt. We have a small child so this is not ideal.

The home he shares with his brother is 1920's to say the least with no heating or inside toilet (it's the family home), so I am very reluctant to send him back there, although we cannot keep up the arrangement we have at the moment for much longer.

My questions are, (he recieves state pension and as far as I know doesn't have any other income.) would he be entitled to a rent suppliment if he was to find somewhere local to us, (he stays southside we stay northside Dublin) like a 1 bed apt? He also has never applied for a medical card, how do we go about getting that?

I'd appreciate any help as I just don't have a clue where to start....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

As far as Im aware he wont be eligible for rent allowance if he owns a home. However there are grants available which will put heating in his home, if you look at the Warmer Homes Scheme you will get some information. To apply for a medical card he will need to fill out an application form which can be printed from the internet or picked up from the community welfare officer at the local health center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

bernyh wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondered if any of you have any advice on where to start?

My fil is in his 70's, he recently had a fall and smashed his arm, he came to stay with us in our apt. We have a small child so this is not ideal.

The home he shares with his brother is 1920's to say the least with no heating or inside toilet (it's the family home), so I am very reluctant to send him back there, although we cannot keep up the arrangement we have at the moment for much longer.

My questions are, (he recieves state pension and as far as I know doesn't have any other income.) would he be entitled to a rent suppliment if he was to find somewhere local to us, (he stays southside we stay northside Dublin) like a 1 bed apt? He also has never applied for a medical card, how do we go about getting that?

I'd appreciate any help as I just don't have a clue where to start....

That really all depends if his pension is means tested or not and what cash he has stashed under the floorboards.

Advertisement