Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What changes would you like to see in Galway in 2011??

Options
  • 01-01-2011 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the title says really. Are there things you would like to see changed in Galway city/county in 2011?

I'd like to:
    -see that hoarding around the supposed art cinema be removed, and the proper two lanes restored on the Dock road as it causes traffic chaos

-see the drop in peoples income/quality of living reflected in prices around the city. Most cafes still charge what they did during the Celtic tiger years and it's ridiculous. We still pay above the odds up here:rolleyes:

-a Wagamama or Yamamori to come to Galway(/crosses fingers)

-an end to the roadworks in Tuam

-a train station to open in Oranmore and a commuter service to be established to ease the congestion coming in from that side of the city.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's all the hangover will allow right now:p

Happy New Year to all the Galway Boardsies, and best wishes for 2011!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

An end to the City's obsession with fast food restaurants.

The hoarding on Dock Road taken down; because the cinema is actually finished.

Less people in cars; more people on bikes. And more measures around town to encourage this.

People of Galway to show other people of Galway more patience.

People of Galway to show their politicians less patience.

And maybe now, and not this time next year, is probably the right time to start preparing for the biggest show ever to come to Galway, VOR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

The outer bypass approved, financed and fast tracked

the airshow to return

the senate to be scrapped and those senators who objected to the above i.e unelectable galway politicans to have to get real jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bypass and Airshow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fifteen minute frequency on bus routes 2w/d, 7, 33, 34, 1, and 3 (in that order of priority, IMHO).

A city bus-service going a lot further along the Tuam Rd, including a stop at the An Post parcel centre. Hmm ... maybe even run it as a circular service out that way and back thru Parkmore, or vice versa.

A bus-shelter at Parkmore

A decent bus-service to/from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Airshow

More action on Galway Bay (Powerboat Racing etc.)

Peace & Love (Or Coke & Hookers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Less tolerence of pick-pockets, general gurriers, they made our beautiful city trash.
    Less litter.
    More appreciation of the musicians and buskers on the streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bypass and Airshow for me too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A roundabout usage education course/campaign.........:D

More supporters in Terryland for Galway United

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Another vote for the airshow!

Also would be good to see the city bike scheme implimented with cheap year-round rate for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JustMary wrote: »
    A bus-shelter at Parkmore
    I was amazed that it didn't have one. I had to go out to Parkmore a few times last year and thankfully the days was warm and dry.

Is the cost not usually covered by advertising anyway or how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

More supporters in Terryland for Galway United
    Over 300 season tickets sold.

The €99 deal is doing great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

A bus service that isn't ****e and actual timetables on the stops, it's ridiculous that there's only time at points 'A' and 'Z' on the route, and everything in between is a lottery - it's not like the buses are reliable enough that you can guess the frequency.

Less annoying scummy wee pricks acting the maggot all over the place.

Less puke & broken glass on the streets.

The replacement of the glut of overpriced boring samey cafes with places that have better food/atmosphere/everything.

No more fast food joints.

The arthouse cinema to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was amazed that [Parkmore] didn't have [a bus shelter]. I had to go out to Parkmore a few times last year and thankfully the days was warm and dry.

Is the cost not usually covered by advertising anyway or how does it work?

The cost of all the shelters on routes 9 and 33 was covered by advertising. I believe the same is the case with the 12 more shelters the council recently approved, and the ones recently installed (or still to be?) on route 7.

The cynic in me says that the Parkmore stop is mainly used by foreigners (ie language-speakers) working for SAP and disabled people working for Rehab, so it wasn't a priority. But I I know there are others too - after work, there are easily 20-30 people standing there, and the stop gets use all day too, due to people coming and going from the places that work shifts.

When I'm not being cynical, I wonder if perhaps there are plans to change the bus-stop location out there: currently the bus juts out into the road and a space for it to pull in to would be a very good idea. As would extending the route down into Parkmore West estate, which is really large.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Zero tolerance towards illicit parking of vehicles.
    A more pedestrian focused city rather than the current 'motorist have priority' scéal.
    Fahey's split-second reaction as he realises he has been sacked.
    Heavy enforcement of housing standards legislation, penalise landlords who rent substandard accomodation.
    A compulsory day in winter where everyone must wear a bright clothing article.
    Seaplanes to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

fewer gypsies around the place would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bypass and Airshow for me.

That would be a good start.

I would love to see Eyre Square get its soul back (but it was a wasteland for so long I'm even half afraid to mention it..:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    fewer gypsies around the place would be nice.
    Agreed.

More people in Terryland for Galway Utd games would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I agree with nearly all of the suggestions so far. And so many of them would be so easy to implement or encourage; it's surprising to think that they haven't been brought about already. Well it's not that surprising either I guess, given the sort of country that we live in.

I wish they'd do something to sort out the mess that is the traffic light/t-junction/pedestrian crossings/taxi rank situation by Garveys/bus station exit on Eyre Square. It's an accident waiting to happen, and is a danger to motorists and pedestrians alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I would wish for a clean straight N59 with some lamp posts to get to Clifden easy at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

More things to do of an evening/night around town that doesn't revolve around booze... not that I'm against booze or anything, just tired of the same old ding-dong and have a lot less disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

More things to do of an evening/night around town

What things would you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Agreed.

More people in Terryland for Galway Utd games would be great.

maybe they should build a car park there as well so people do not clog up the dyke road with their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

• A Big Outdoor Concert - NOT Jedward
    • School Portacabins been replaced with proper buildings.
    • An effective communications system that the County/City Councils can use in times such as floods/cold snaps.
    • A serious investment in Wind/Sea Energy off our cost.
    • A proper road along our coastline to promote us for Wind/Sea Energy investment.
    • A Homecoming for the likes of the Liam McCarthy Cup, Sam Maguire Cup, FAI Cup would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe they should build a car park there as well so people do not clog up the dyke road with their cars.
    There is a car park in Terryland??????!!!!!!!!! And there tends to be very little traffic on the Dyke Road at 745 on a Friday night, hardly causes large tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Mactard wrote: »
    What things would you have in mind?

I don't really have anything in particular, kinda hoping somebody else will :(

However, I did look on t'interwebs to see if I could find some decent suggestions. There were very few outside the usual "go to museum" stuff. I only found one that seemed original - BYOB Dodgeball in an empty carpark.

Another, courtesy of HIMYM, was Laser Tag in a suit. Though that costs and it'd probably want to be indoors. Is there any places left for that anymore? City Limits don't have it on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Make an amusent park maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

An Indian summer would be nice. A real one.

A cheap gym

And a big new financial services centre with lots of international companies (not going to happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

The Cellar to reopen. :(

Also for selfish reason, some good cultural events.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Same as everywhere else in Ireland.
    J.O.B.S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Wouldn't like to see too much changed. Hopefully Mayor Crowe will be elected to the Dáil and the great craic and atmosphere will continue in Galway.

Advertisement