Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debenhams - Buying online - feedback???

• 01-01-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

first off - Happy New Year to all!

there's a dress that I want in Debenhams, but the 2 Cork stores haven't got it in my size - it's super reduced now online, but I've seen some worrying feedback on boards that Debenhams take money from a/c and then don't deliver, etc...........just want to get a more rounded picture before I part with my hard earned cash...........is it a risk to buy from them online??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭Killed

Got a jacket off them online, delivered in a few days from Nightline couriers. Had no proplems whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know my neightbour bought a good bit off them over Christmas and was happy with the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Debenhams are a huge company so they won't take your money and run. Since you can't buy it in the shops and it's reduced you have nothing to lose. If you do have problems, you will either get it late or get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Only ordered off them once, but had no problems, and in fact the item was delivered within two days of the order, which I was very impressed with.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I had a bad experience with them, but all in all it was just them not delivering 90% of what was ordered and listed as in stock on the site. The did take too much money also, but refunded it. So the main risk is you won't actually get what they say was 'in stock', but if you can't get it anywhere else you may as well try.

Their site is seriously overpriced compared to UK one, badly organised, unreliable etc etc, but they aren't going to scam you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Ordered from them before Christmas, it took about a week for the order to arrive. Not great compared to other Irish sites, but not too bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

No problem. 2 items ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

thanks for that - what's the story if it arrives and it doesn't suit, etc? can I return to store and get a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I put in an order last week and have only got one item so far, and 2 were unable to fulfill, but they were all highly reduced items and I did make the order on Christmas eve!! If its an in stock non sale item I would say you will have no problems. As far as I know you can return items in store but you would be best off double checking that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Only ordered off them once, but had no problems, and in fact the item was delivered within two days of the order, which I was very impressed with.
    I think the issue with Debenhams online is that many times the products aren't in stock, and sometimes you confirm your order only to find out a day or 2 later that the items you wanted weren't in stock. This is probably due to the fact that their stock amounts are only updated at the end of every day, so really if it says its 'in stock', this is really only true of the previous update.

As stated already, they are a large company and will certainly not 'take your money and run' so rest assured. Thinking of ordering a couple of bits off them myself as the Debenhams in Galway had a very poor selection of winter hats/gloves & I wanted me some new ones!!!

Also seriously tempted by those boots Kantari linked to in another thread, but afraid they'd drown my 5'3 frame!! Have enough pairs of knee high boots anyway ....... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Put another order in with them just after Christmas, it went through, but I got an email after a few days saying one of the items was out of stock. They'd already taken money from my credit card for the other, but then I got another email saying "return in process". I had to email them to ask them what this meant, but basically they were refunding the money for that too. Glad they weren't items I was really looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deadlywoman

do not buy from on line with debenhams. their service is awful still waiting on item which i bought 10 days ago when i rang their 0818 number kept me on the line over 12 min's cost me 6euro's and no one still answered my call just took my money, all i can say is a major money making racket really back after service but they are very fast at taking your money. i also sent them an email 3 day's ago still no reply so people beware keep your money or else buy in the store it self

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

Hi,
    I was wondering if you finally got your order or money back ?

I made two orders on December and I still haven't got any of them.
    I rang them last Friday, talked to a guy, he took my order number and told me to wait, put me on hold and I waited for 10 minutes or so and then I got disconnected.
    I've been calling them today but can't get through.
    Has anyone had similar problems with them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I ordered something from them about 2 weeks ago, got an email a few days later saying that deliveries would take longer than usual because they were getting so many orders in the Christmas/New Year period. Got my stuff delivered last Thursday by a lovely Nightline courier, who waited for me for 20 minutes outside my apartment because I was out for a run when he called me! I'd have no problems ordering from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They're a nightmare, you only need to look at their facebook wall to see the oodles of seriously hacked off customers whose orders never arrive. I'm having a similar issue with two orders at the mo so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They do refund eventually but it can take an age.

Edit: Just saw the thread is a year or so old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

I ordered 4 pairs off runnners with them last Saturday as they do not stock any footwear brands like adidas instore for some reason. All had 20% off and an extra 20% off with the sun code (still valid- TH96).The 4boxes arrived yesterday (Thursday) to my work address, so very speedy delivery. However, it is not consistently so. I have ordered off them before, one item arrived in 3days, the other part of the order came over 10days later. Also, the dispatch email they give you to track your order is bogus. Nightline have no tracking numbers like the ones they supply you. I had to ring customer sevice in the UK, who seem to have general info for debenhams UK. They insisted the tracking numbers were valid, though were unable to even say who the Irish courier company is that I could look for them with! It was like talking to a answering machine with an English accent. You can return to store too, though the staff from my experience (3 occassions) take ages- they have to ring customer service in UK and are on hold for a while and then they have a chat with someone else in the store to make sure that they are doing it right! Also, the UK site has more stock and, as usual, sterling/euro rip off applies.

Moral of my story: Delivery times are hit and miss (generally a hit). Customer service seems to be only any use to UK customers really so hopefully your delivery is a hit. Tracking numbers seem to be bogus. You can return to store. Cheaper to buy in the UK in sterling if you're paying a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I've never had a problem with them. They have always delivered within time. I havent used them since last summer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭JudyD

I've ordered from Debenhams online a couple of times - most recently last week (wednesday night). The order arrived yesterday short one of the items but when I checked my account I was already refunded the money for it without me having to follow up. Always found delivery quite quick and can be good for finding bargains quickly. Still prefer to go to the shop and try stuff on if I can at all though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i ordered shoes on Tuesday and they were delivered today :D Plus they fitted my huge feet so I am so delighted

Advertisement