Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelinman to Superman

Options
  • 01-01-2011 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello again,

I previously had a thread on here that I've neglected for a while, mostly because I haven't been training much over the past month or so. In fact the last time I trained was the 12th of December, ahead of possibly running the re-scheduled Jingle Bells 5K.

To be honest, with the snow and everything, I didn't really do any training and my diet went downhill quite a bit. I've put on some weight, not tons, but I can definitely see it in my face and feel it in my clothes. Due to that first big freeze we had, I didn't run for about 2 1/2 weeks and the Jingle Bells 5K got post postponed to the 18th which was grand. The week of the 18th the snow had finally cleared so I went out for a run and managed to get 5K done in very slow 45 minutes. I wasn't really going for speed, I simply wanted to get a workout done and it was purely a 'maintenance' workout from my perspective.

I had gone off the idea of doing the Jingle Bells 5K by that stage and with my lack of training in the lead-up to it, plus another sprinkling of snow the night before the race, I had decided not to take part. I feel a bit bad for not going through with it but what's done is done.

Which brings me to this day - the 1st of January 2011.

In previous years I've made all sorts of new years resolutions and have posted about them several times on boards and gave up on just as many. I think part of this is that I seem to focus on things better if I don't tell anyone about them and just keep them to myself.

So with this in mind I've decided to not really bother making any grand proclamations about what I will or won't do this year. Other than to say I'm just going to keep my goals to myself and hopefully when I achieve them, I will allow myself to talk about them to other people. In the meantime, I'm going to say nothing via any means. I'm just going to shut up.

However I think I will keep updating this thread with my workout details and how they went.

Having completed the Couch to 5K programme and sort of lingering around half following something else, I am planning to now begin the Hal Hidgon Novice Spring Training Programme - http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm

My reason for doing this is that I want to increase my mileage a bit and it seems like a nice manageable enough programme to get me back into running after a very slack month of little or no running at all.

With that in mind, I went out this morning just to do a 1.5 mile run. With all my Christmas and pre-Christmas excess firmly attached to my body and my lack of running mixed in with it, I decided I needed a nice easy workout to get back into the swing of things.

I initially thought the first workout was 3 miles but in the end it turned out to be 1.5 miles which was a blessing in disguise as it was a torturous workout. It started out ok but gradually got worse as it went on. I've been trying to shake off the tail end of a cold for the past few days and I made myself go out running this morning as I didn't feel that bad.

But boy o boy did the workout feel tough. Towards the end I was feeling upset at how tough it was and I was definitely feeling anger and frustration that I'd let myself a: lose some fitness and b: that I had let myself get so overweight to begin with.

Anyway I forced myself to complete the workout and my pathetic stats are:

1.69 miles in 22mins, 30 seconds.

Pretty slow but I'm just trying to remind myself that I'm easing myself back in and I haven't lost all the fitness I've gained recently, just some of it.

So there you go. If you are wondering about the name of my training log, it's mostly to do with me being a huge Superman fan. I don't know everything about him and I don't profess to either. But I've always been a Superman fan and I guess having a physique somewhat similar is appealing. I know weights would be required to look exactly the same, but to be honest, it's more about the inspiration for me.

As I realised last night, it doesn't really matter where inspiration comes from, Music, film, TV, books, fact, fiction, cartoon characters or real life, as long as it allows you to change yourself and your life for the better, does it really matter?

-GM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Been slacking for the past few days but forced myself out today for a 1.5 mile run but actually ended up doing 3.2 miles. My workout the last day was quite tough even though I only did 1.5 miles so I was aiming to do another 1.5 miles today just to get a bit of exercise in.

I ended up feeling rather good as I slowed the pace a bit and as a result was able to push on and do over 3 miles. Very slow pace I have to admit, took me about 47 minutes but I'm trying to build up my speed and fitness again after probably a month of very little running and a lot of bad food.

Good to know that I'm still well capable of a 5K distance without stopping which shows that while the speed might have dropped somewhat, the capability/endurance is more or less still there.

3.2 miles @ 14.30 min/mile average pace. Avg Heart Rate: 161 bpm.

Started back out training today after a few maintenance type workouts over the past week or two. As mentioned before I've started Hal Higdon's Novice Spring Training Programme but I'm thinking I don't really need to begin it from week one. I still have a reasonably solid level of base fitness and I can still crank out 5K non-stop with not a load of effort, albeit very slowly. So I'm thinking about starting it from either Week 4 or Week 6. The only indecisiveness coming from the fact that while I can do the distance, my joints may not be totally used to it seeing they've had a few weeks off and stuff.

Anyway today I went out to do 2 miles but ended up doing 2.24 miles which took 29 minutes, 42 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The other thing to watch in the spring training programme is that it involves running three days in a row. If you've been alternating day on/day off up to now, your legs will be used to having some recovery time between runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    RayCun wrote: »
    The other thing to watch in the spring training programme is that it involves running three days in a row. If you've been alternating day on/day off up to now, your legs will be used to having some recovery time between runs.

Looks like a good programme though! I agree with Ray Id be worried about 3 days in a row especially after I had time off. Would you change it slightly and run Tues/Thur/Fri to start with? Mileage looks to build up nice and slowly.

maria74 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Looks like a good programme though! I agree with Ray Id be worried about 3 days in a row especially after I had time off. Would you change it slightly and run Tues/Thur/Fri to start with? Mileage looks to build up nice and slowly.

I might try that, will see how it goes. I'm not back to work until Thursday so I want to get out for another few miles tomorrow. I'll see how it goes and then decide whether to go again on Thursday or leave it until Friday.

Although I might end up tweaking it slightly from next week as I won't finish work early enough on Wednesdays to get out for a run while it's still bright. I do have a head torch though so I have the option, will see how it goes anyway.

• Advertisement

Went out and did 3 miles this morning which took 40 mins, 36 seconds. It was a kind of tough workout I felt this morning. I went to bed late last night and was a bit tired this morning, my legs felt heavy too. I hit the wall a bit around the 1.5 mile mark but I kept going and once I got over 2 miles done, I had more energy and I got the 3 miles done then without too much bother after that.

Was slightly worrying when I was thinking about the half marathon in September and how tough the 3 miles were today but I still have 7 or 8 months training ahead of me and hopefully I'll be a few stone lighter by then too.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Keep at it, its a long way to September, if you work steadily there is no reason you cant do a half mara. Relax when youre running and in your head instead of thinking how tired you are, tell yourself youre doing well. It works!

Just back from my workout and I'm currently continuing with Hal Higdon's Novice Spring Training Programme. Today was supposed to be an easy enough 1.5 miles but I put the hammer down a bit.

1.72 miles - 21 minutes, 6 seconds. Avg Heart Rate 170bpm.

The weather is a bit cold and windy today so I think that is why I ran a bit faster to get the workout over and done with. I was tempted not to go out at all but I managed to force myself out the door as I finished work early and it was still nice and bright.

A friend of mine is trying to get me to do the Great Ireland Run in April. I'd never heard of it until the other day and he said I should do it. Then today he asked me had I registered yet and he seems quite keen to get me to do it. He's a very good runner himself, close to elite. So obviously I wouldn't be running it with him, he's likely to finish under 40 minutes as he's coming back from injury and he completed the race a few years ago in 31 minutes and something so he's very good. I reckon I'd be lucky to finish in 1hr and 31 minutes!

Anyway I'm toying with the idea of the St Patricks 5K and perhaps this 10k a few weeks later. I was looking at Hal Higdon's 10K plan and I could start it Valentines week and complete it the week of the 10K race. And perhaps until then I'll continue the Novice Spring Training.

So much for me not getting distracted with other ideas and plans!

So much for me not getting distracted with other ideas and plans!

As long as you keep on running consistently, and keep on pushing yourself to improve, there's no harm done

As long as you keep on running consistently, and keep on pushing yourself to improve, there's no harm done

You are probably right.

Am completely b*****xed today. Ended up going out last night and have been unable to function all day since. Might force myself out for a run tomorrow but will see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Must be bored, or mad. I just entered myself in the Great Ireland Run! :eek:

I don't know why but I've been dilly dallying a lot recently with regards my training. But like some mad hoor, I've signed myself up for not one, not two, but three separate races! :eek:

St Patricks 5K - 20th March
    Great Ireland Run 10k - 10th April
    Dublin Half Marathon - 17th September

I went out today and knocked out 5.03K and it took me 39 minutes, 25 seconds. I was fairly wrecked during most of it I have to admit but I wanted to speed up my time. Someone I know has managed to cut about 8 minutes off their 5K time in the last few weeks and it's motivating and depressing at the same time. I was going along today a bit faster than normal but I still felt so incredibly slow and heavy, especially towards the end.

Not so long ago it would have been a big deal to dip under 40 minutes but today it didn't seem like enough. It's hard to keep motivated at these times but I guess you just have to stick at it.

I'm aiming to go out for another 5K tomorrow after work.

I think thats great! WHy are you not delighted?
    I am trying to ignore the whole speed thing as I am just so slow, and concentrate on putting in the miles (injury free)
    You have signed up for your runs now so thats what you should concentrate on and try not to focus on what others are doing (unless they are slower and then you have permission to focus on them!!!:D)

I think thats great! WHy are you not delighted?
    I am trying to ignore the whole speed thing as I am just so slow, and concentrate on putting in the miles (injury free)
    You have signed up for your runs now so thats what you should concentrate on and try not to focus on what others are doing (unless they are slower and then you have permission to focus on them!!!:D)

Cheers for that.

I feel I may have picked up a slight niggle on my left ankle. It's not very sore, but it's a little uncomfortable and slightly painful at times. Hopefully it will wear off today and I can get out for 5K this evening. I won't be running tomorrow at all so it will be a rest day.

No run today. Left work and something unexpected came up and by the time it was sorted it was almost dark so I didn't go for a run. Probably a good thing as I can still feel my ankle a little.

Debating about going for a run in the morning before work. I've plans tomorrow evening so if I don't go tomorrow morning, I will have to wait until Thursday. That in itself might not be a bad idea. Give the ankle an extra day to rest and I can go for a run on Thursday and Sunday (heading home to the north on Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ah go on ,get out tomorrow morning, think of how great you will feel after you have finished ;)

Been really slacking recently with regards to my running. I've also gone and entered the Operation Transformation 5K in the Phoenix Park which is in two weeks time. Thankfully I'm still capable of a 5K distance but todays was a massive struggle, probably not helped by the fact that it's been at least a week, possibly more since I last ran. I've let work and the weather get in the way.

Today I did 3.21 miles in 41 minutes 7 seconds. I guess that's not too bad but it was complete torture. I went out far too fast and felt like I blew up after about 1 or 1.5K. I slowed to an absolute crawl and felt like giving up at several points.

Thankfully I got over the 4K mark and that seemed to give me a little more energy, probably as I knew I was nearly finished.

Avg Heart rate was 170bpm and max was 188bpm which probably shows how wrecked I was at the end.

Next time I'm definitely going out slower at the start and I will put the hammer down towards the end if I feel I can.

Aiming to head out tomorrow morning first thing and stick another 5K on the clock.

[HTML][/HTML]
    G-Money wrote: »
    Thankfully I got over the 4K mark and that seemed to give me a little more energy, probably as I knew I was nearly finished.

Know that feeling! I try mind games with myself..I am only doing 1 or possibly 2 miles and try to see how I feel after that.
    Am also slacking a bit, I blame the universal social charge!!!:D Has us all in the dumps (any excuse really)
    Good luck with training before Operation Transformation 5K, I have entered also, think there will be a good atmosphere at it.

[HTML][/HTML]

Know that feeling! I try mind games with myself..I am only doing 1 or possibly 2 miles and try to see how I feel after that.
    Am also slacking a bit, I blame the universal social charge!!!:D Has us all in the dumps (any excuse really)
    Good luck with training before Operation Transformation 5K, I have entered also, think there will be a good atmosphere at it.

Cheers Maria, good to know I'm not the only one that's struggling at times :)

Forced myself out this morning despite the wind and rain and managed to put 5.3K on the clock in 43 minutes 44 seconds. I started at an easier pace today and the workout on the whole was much easier. I was naturally getting faster on each lap. I also used my Garmin today to try and workout a good pace to run the Operation Transformation run at. I was running with someone else yesterday and I kind of tried to keep up with them and I blew up almost straight away so I reckon something similar could happen during this race so I need to have an idea of a maintainable pace and I can then see how it goes on the day.

The bad news is that my left knee is quite sore :( It was a bit achy after yesterday and I could feel it straight away this morning when I started out but it kind of went away. Although it's kind of sore when I bend it in certain ways when I walk and stuff. Definitely resting tomorrow!

5.3K 43 mins, 44 seconds. Avg Heart Rate 167bpm Max Heart Rate 187bpm (I put the hammer down over the last few yards).

• Advertisement

I haven't forgotten to train or anything. I'm basically resting up my knee as it was sore after the 5K I did on Saturday and the 5K I did on Sunday.

I might test it out on Saturday for 2 miles or something but I'll see how it goes. I'm due to start my 10K training plan next Monday so I don't want to jeopardise it or my chances at the OT 5K on the 19th.

I've been sidelined by a bit of a knee injury. I was out the weekend of the 5th and 6th and did 5K each day and noticed it getting sore but sort of pushed on. Walking around is fine, even stairs are ok but walking up inclines and down declines are were it seems to be at me.

I finally relented and went to the physio on Monday. He didn't seem to think it was too bad and has give me some stretches to do to help the area. Aiming to go out and do a little bit of jogging, perhaps 2 or 3K tomorrow to see how it feels. The OT 5K is on Saturday and I'm still thinking about doing it.

Just frustrating more than anything.

Went out this evening and did 3K ahead of the OT 5K on Saturday. To be honest, the knee is not much better. I was kind of limping a bit at the start but not so much out of pain, just not really wanting to put my full weight on it. I did grimace a few times and I stopped to stretch a bit but then I kept going and it wasn't so bad after that.

Hard to know what to do. I'm thinking about doing the 5K race on Sat and then taking about 2 weeks off to rest my knee completely and to keep doing the stretch the physio gave me.

Very annoying. :( :mad:

3K 24m 55 seconds - Avg heart rate 164bpm/Max heart rate 179bpm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I advise to to the race. If that physio is the same one you went to first time, he knows what he's talking about.

After your first race you won't look back and it'll give you real motivation to continue improving.

So I did the OT 5K race last Saturday and managed to complete it in 42 minutes 18 seconds and I jogged every step of the way. I was happy that I didn't walk any of it, even though after that hill I was wrecked.

My knee was fine on the day but I just did a 5K there now in the park and it was f*****g with me again which is really annoying. It wasn't massively sore, but a bit achy or something and I felt like I was hobbling a bit even though it wasn't that awful sore. It felt more like my leg or quad were stiff or something.

I did my 5K today 1 minute faster than the 5K on Saturday in the Phoenix Park but it was quite tough today. I felt like I was going quite well then about 2.5K into it I really slowed down. I felt like I was going so slow. I think I was on course to possibly dip under 40 minutes today but by the end I was just glad to finish.

I've a friend who's an excellent runner and who has a PB of 31 mins, 50 seconds for 10K and he told me to forget about speed. He kept saying it doesn't matter how slow you are, just do the distance.

Anyway, a little disheartened today with how tough it was and how the knee is nagging me a wee bit. Guess I need to keep doing those stretches the physio told me about.

That was much, much better.

I went out for 5K run this evening and it went so much better than on Tuesday night. I'm pretty sure some smart ass teenager shouted something at me when I was running as he was surrounded by his friends but I ignored him and if he did say anything, he seemed to shut up after that anyway. Stupid p****k.

Anyway the run went really well. It was a lovely evening, about 12 or 13 degree's so I got to run without a jacket for the first time in months. I also donned some shorts for the first time ever and they started to slide down as they're not elasticated at the waist and the drawcord didn't seem to be up to much. I guess I will have to bring my armband for my iPhone again as that was what was weighing them down.

The run was very enjoyable. The knee gave me no trouble whatsoever. I started out at an easy enough pace and kept going and even after 2 or 3km I was still motoring along quite nicely without too much hassle. I upped the speed a wee tiny bit during it but I could easily have went faster I felt. My time overall was about 30 seconds slower than Tuesday but it felt so much easier and I don't think that was because of the pace.

My splits from Tuesday were:

8:16, 7:52, 7:59, 8:18, 8:35 for 5K.

Today my splits were:

8:58, 8:18, 8:10, 8:00, 8:00

So they seemed more consistent today and I was actually faster over the last 2 kilometres which is nice.

Really good workout today. I felt fresh, no problems with my knee although my legs were getting tired by the end, but other than that I felt pretty much 100%. Long may it continue.

Great you had a good run.

Are you going to follow a plan now, aren't you doing Great Ireland Run? I had sore knee before christmas and had to cut back a little. I was just thinking going out and doing 5K x3 times since Sat and trying to increase speed each time is probably not best thing for your knee (although I am no expert)
    In my humble opinion, park OT 5K (or at very least the dissapointment you felt after it) and concentrate on next race and even think of next years OT 5K when you will be happier.

Also book by John Bimngham "No need for speed" for us slow runners is great! Appreciate the journey rather than the end !!! :)

Cheers Maria.

I was going to follow Hal Higdon's 10k Novice plan but I kind of feel like it's a bit of a step back when it comes to distances as I'm getting quite comfortable doing 5K distances again thankfully. So I was thinking of doing 5K's during the week and maybe longer runs during the weekend and then as a result, increase my week day mileage.

I think I will have to look up that book you were telling me about. I'm defo quite slow when I'm jogging but as a friend keeps reminding me, its the time on your feet is that is the most important, forget the time.

What's your own plans for the 10K?

Just back from a 5.04K run and it went quite well. I got a bit adventurous and went a different route and racked up 5.04K and it took me 41 mins 20 seconds.

I usually run in the same park all the time and it takes me about 20 laps to rack up 5K. I've been starting to get a bit bored with that so I just went out running on the footpaths instead. And it was quite nice too. I messed up the route a wee bit at times and along the Luas there was no footpath where I expected one to be so I had to cross the road at the lights so that fecked my rhythm a wee bit but not too much. Stopped the Garmin anyway to avoid it showing a pause or whatever.

My splits today were:

8:29, 8:26, 8:05, 7:52, 8:08

5.04k Avg Pace 8:11 min/km, Best Pace 6:33 min/km Avg Heart Rate 166bpm, Max Heart Rate 179bpm.

I'm not really surprised my last km was a bit slower, it had a bit of a steep incline in places.

Am half thinking of going out tomorrow and doing 6K but I'll see how it goes. The knee felt ok today and I'm starting to feel my fitness increase a bit so I want to do more. The balance act is between not doing enough and doing too much.

Stopped the Garmin anyway to avoid it showing a pause or whatever.

Which model do you have? On the 305 and 405 you can set it to pause automatically when you stop running, I think it's called AutoPause.

• Advertisement

Which model do you have? On the 305 and 405 you can set it to pause automatically when you stop running, I think it's called AutoPause.

It's the Garmin Forerunner 110. Not sure it has autopause but I'll check.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement