Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelinman to Superman

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The ramp-up continues.

Went for a relatively easy 2.5 miles this morning, took 34 mins 37 seconds. I had considered running Friday morning too but decided to hold off as I don't want to do too much too soon. I had some stuff to do yesterday morning (Saturday) and I find that if I don't go for a run first thing on a weekend morning, I just won't go at all.

I somehow managed to force myself out this morning, despite the wind and rain. Thankfully the rain stopped a few minutes after I left the apartment. I did wear a long sleeve running top which seemed like a good idea when I started out but by the end it nearly seemed a tiny bit excessive. Although I didn't feel too much of a wimp when I saw another guy across the road with a cap on and another guy with a long sleeve top and tights on :)

Might do another 2.5 miles before work tomorrow, will see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Have you any races planned to go with your training ?

Have you any races planned to go with your training ?

The only thing I'm currently registered for is the half marathon this weekend. However I've missed several weeks of training and I'm not massively pushed about doing it. I will see how I feel closer to the time.

Other than that, nothing lined up. I'm considering doing the Jingle Bells 5k this year seeing the snow f*****d up my plans to do it last year. But that's about it really.

G-Money wrote: »
    The only thing I'm currently registered for is the half marathon this weekend. However I've missed several weeks of training and I'm not massively pushed about doing it. I will see how I feel closer to the time.

Other than that, nothing lined up. I'm considering doing the Jingle Bells 5k this year seeing the snow f*****d up my plans to do it last year. But that's about it really.

Ya i have the half on Saturday myself and treating it as a training run for DCM.

I find my running goes better if i have a race goal in mind.

Another 2.5 miles done this morning before work. Was a bit tough to get out of bed, still didn't get to bed early enough last night but will try tonight.

• Advertisement

Despite not getting enough sleep over the weekend and last night, I somehow forced myself out of bed and went for a 2.5 mile. Despite being sleepy I had a surprisingly large amount of energy and managed to run the 2.5 miles just over 1 minute faster than normal.

Also walked to work today so that will be an extra 2 miles+ to add on to the daily total.

Forgot to update this.

So far this week I've been out for 2 runs before work, 6.30am on Monday and 6.45am this morning. On Monday I did 2.5 miles in 35 minutes so a bit slower than previously. Then this morning I did 2.7 miles in 35 minutes so I'm not really sure what's going on with my speed. I wasn't intentionally running faster this morning, apart from when I put a short spurt in to pass a pedestrian to avoid her thinking I was stalking her.

Knees feel surprisingly good seeing I'm doing the first 1.5 miles or so on a mix of concrete and tarmac, before finishing off with a few laps of my local park then heading back to the apartment.

The plan is to get out for another 2 runs this week, will perhaps do 2.7 miles and then move it up to 3 miles from next week.

Managed to get out the door this morning at 6.25am despite not sleeping very well and getting about 5.5 hours sleep max. I guess it helped that the wind and rain were not howling at the window. Did another 2.7 miles again reasonably fast (for me) in 35 minutes 46 seconds. Again I wasn't trying to run fast but it just seemed to happen. Had a surprising amount of energy too considering. I'll aim to head out tomorrow morning too for another 2.7 miles but this time hopefully I can have a bit of a lie in, then take Sunday off. Then from Monday, start doing 3 miles. I could easily do 3 miles as it is but I want to ramp up and avoid injuries or niggles if possible.

I like this early morning running, even though it's tough to get out of bed. I seem to have more energy in the morning compared to after 4pm when a day at the office can just drain the life out of me.

Good to hear you got out.

Have you thought of going slighly slower but increasing the distance, you'll be in the fat burning zone for longer and might see more results ?

Early is the best time and its done and you won't spend the day talking yourself out of doing it.

I'm going to be increasing my distance over the next few weeks so I guess I will be able to do that then.

• Advertisement

So my plan of running over the weekend was a spectacular failure. I stayed up far too late on Friday night and was too wrecked to go on Saturday morning and Sunday morning, well I can't remember why I didn't go, might have been because I was planning to go Monday and guess what, I didn't go Sunday, Monday or yesterday.

Somehow managed to force myself out of bed this morning and did 3 miles in 39 minutes 03 seconds. I felt heavy and slow, especially on the last mile. I actually did a bit more than 3 miles as it took my garmin close to 10 minutes to get a signal and I never start running until it's got a signal and is ready to go. Plus I had about a 5-10 minute slow walk back to the apartment too.

Am showered, fed and watered now. It's amazing how tasty and filling 1 slice of brown toast with peanut butter is.

Off to work now, another 2+ miles of walking roundtrip. Would love to stay home today though :(

The howls of wind threatened to derail me this morning but I somehow managed to get out the door at 7am. Although as things would have it, I woke at 4.45am, tossed and turned for a while and just started to drift off to sleep when the alarm went off at 6.10am. I lay there for another 20 minutes or so before finally getting up and getting out the door. I think I deserve extra credit as there was live Formula 1 practice on from Japan that I could have watched for another 40 minutes or so but I skipped it and went for a run.

Another 3 miles this morning, thankfully the Garmin picked up the signal almost straight away rather than the almost quarter of a mile distance it took the last day. The left knee was sore for the first few minutes but then eased off.

The run felt ok today, was a tiny bit slower than the last day but I sort of take into account that the last day the Garmin didn't start working until I'd completed the slight 0.2 mile incline from my place initially.

I have to admit I did put the tights on this morning for the first time since last winter. I checked the temperature before I went out and saw it was an completely unreasonable and unacceptable 9 degree's. So that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I also threw on a long sleeve top and wore my hi-viz jacket as it was still a bit dark. So all in all, the combination of the 3 kept me warm.

Thinking of another 3 miles tomorrow morning then taking Sunday off. Horrible cracking from my knees though as I was drying myself off after the shower :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I think I deserve extra credit as there was live Formula 1 practice on from Japan that I could have watched for another 40 minutes or so but I skipped it and went for a run.

Good lord, do people actually watch that?! Watching F1 Practice sessions is the equivalent of watching Haile go for a training run on his own. Hardly riveting.

Have you any races planned? No better way of tracking progress than by getting out there and doing a few races. It's good for the motivation aswell to have something short term to aim for that helps break up the training. You'll surprise yourself on race day and go much faster than in your sessions. Race day adrenaline is a great thing.

04072511 wrote: »
    Good lord, do people actually watch that?! Watching F1 Practice sessions is the equivalent of watching Haile go for a training run on his own. Hardly riveting.

Have you any races planned? No better way of tracking progress than by getting out there and doing a few races. It's good for the motivation aswell to have something short term to aim for that helps break up the training. You'll surprise yourself on race day and go much faster than in your sessions. Race day adrenaline is a great thing.

You bet people watch it! :)

No races planned. I might do the Jingle Bells 5K in December but I haven't registered for any races now. I definitely want to do the Dunboyne 4 mile race again next year, but that's not until March.

Bit of a sore left knee has me on the sidelines. I'm thinking of easing off on the running completely until it clears up and until I get perhaps a stone and a half more off.

If not, I will have to stick to grass 90% of the time I think.

Still on the sidelines myself. Nothing seriously wrong, just a bit of a sore left knee. I've been resting it for about a week and a half now at this stage and it seems to be getting better. I might go out and do an easy 2 miles on grass this weekend to see how I get on.

The right knee feels fine but I've noticed a lot of cracking coming from it when I bend down or lean weight on it. The wonders of becoming a runner :) Thankfully it's not sore at all.

Really need to knuckle down and get the weight sorted.

I probably also should start doing some sort of quad exercises at home, mine are ridiculously tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Nothing seriously wrong, just a bit of a sore left knee.

If this is all it is then I think you need to HTFU a little. Being involved in athletics is going to mean lots of aches and pains. It's a part of the life of a runner/athlete and is perfectly normal.

If it is a bit more serious than you seem to be suggesting then I would suggest doing some cross-training and getting into the pool for a bit of swimming. Be a shame to let all your fitness work just count for nothing while you sit around for weeks waiting for a sore knee to heel.

I also think you need to target a race. It will give more direction to your training which being honest, is a bit aimless at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Still on the sidelines myself. Nothing seriously wrong, just a bit of a sore left knee. I've been resting it for about a week and a half now at this stage and it seems to be getting better. I might go out and do an easy 2 miles on grass this weekend to see how I get on.

The right knee feels fine but I've noticed a lot of cracking coming from it when I bend down or lean weight on it. The wonders of becoming a runner :) Thankfully it's not sore at all.

Really need to knuckle down and get the weight sorted.

I probably also should start doing some sort of quad exercises at home, mine are ridiculously tight.

Get a foam roller or a grid for the quads, tight quads can be murder on the knees.

and +1 on what 04072511 said

04072511 wrote: »
    If this is all it is then I think you need to HTFU a little. Being involved in athletics is going to mean lots of aches and pains. It's a part of the life of a runner/athlete and is perfectly normal.

I like it that I'm probably still the only person who here who hasn't started using these HTFU, STFU, HPTB, BBC, PHD, HSBC abbreviations :pac:

Get a foam roller or a grid for the quads, tight quads can be murder on the knees.

What is a grid?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What is a grid?

It's a trigger point foam roller - http://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-GRID-Revolutionary-Roller-Black/dp/B002KE6TMC

I prefer the black foam rollers myself. They're like rolling your muscles over rocks.

• Advertisement

It's a trigger point foam roller - http://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-GRID-Revolutionary-Roller-Black/dp/B002KE6TMC

I prefer the black foam rollers myself. They're like rolling your muscles over rocks.

I've never used a foam roller before. Are they any good? Any benefit for those with tight quads?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement