Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is monday a bank holiday?

• 01-01-2011 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

seeing as how today is a bank holiday and it's a saturday... don't they carry over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Yup it's a bank holiday, I'm off work and I work in a regular office (not a bank)

Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Monday Bank Holiday.

Services that run today, tomorrow [Sunday] and Monday will run as Sunday Services. Opening times will also be Sunday Times for those that open.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Don't think it's officially a bank holiday though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

seeing as how today is a bank holiday and it's a saturday... don't they carry over?

Today is the bank holiday, anyone who is normally off work today is owed a day in lieu, usually the employer gives that day in lieu on the next available work day which would be Monday, However they do not legally need to give it then, i think they can give it whenever they want within a certain timeframe, but most compnaies treat the following Monday as the bank holiday.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Don't think it's officially a bank holiday though is it?

Strictly speaking, no, it's a public holiday the Bank Holiday is today. But as outlined above, it's treated like one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think a lot of retailers treat Monday as a normal working day as they already have given today as a bank holiday to their staff. I know that what my employer does. No one really complains as we all have Saturday off which is the main trading day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

gbee wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, no, it's a public holiday the Bank Holiday is today. But as outlined above, it's treated like one.

Funnily enough - Monday is not a Bank Holiday , but the Banks remain closed .

The Banks close on all public holidays , even though them days are not Bank Holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Funnily enough - Monday is not a Bank Holiday , but the Banks remain closed .

The Banks close on all public holidays , even though them days are not Bank Holidays.

Banks eh, funny bastards.

(Puts head in hands and weeps uncontrollable)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Does anyone else find it kind of funny that the banks dictate when people have days off?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

damienmcd wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it kind of funny that the banks dictate when people have days off?....

not at all my good man

they dictate everything else including economic policy...why not holidays?

in for a penny in for a pound I always say and so do they!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I don't keep one cent in any bank so they dictate nothing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bank is such an ugly word now days.:rolleyes:

Jonybgud wrote: »

you sir are labouring under an illusion!

Jonybgud wrote: »

Apart from Bank Holidays.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm sure a lot of small firms and their staff didn't find it funny when they lost jobs because of the banks.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

They don't. It's dictated by the Dáil.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of small firms and their staff didn't find it funny when they lost jobs because of the banks.:mad:

A little morbid I think but anyway, back on topic....
    I'm uncertain about Monday being a bank holiday, it's purely up to the individual company regarding the bank holiday carrying over to the Monday. Only reason I know this is because I am in work now and getting Bank Holiday rate. Not much getting done so I'm not complaining about being in!

m@cc@ wrote: »
    They don't. It's dictated by the Dáil.

meh...they are merely puppets.

I know who is really pulling the strings.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm not in a union, but there's some good info here about labour law in general:

http://www.siptu.ie/YourRights/TUFGuideToLabourLaw/HoursHolidaysGeneralConditions/OrganisationOfWorkingTimeAct1997AnnualLe/
    Public Holidays

There are nine Public Holidays. They are –

New Year’s Day, 1 January;

Saint Patrick’s Day, 17 March;

Easter Monday;

first Monday in May;

first Monday in June;

first Monday in August;

last Monday in October;

Christmas Day, 25 December;

Saint Stephen’s Day, 26 December.
    What Is The Difference Between A Public Holiday And A Bank Holiday?

A Public Holiday is a day declared by law to be a Public Holiday. A Bank Holiday has no legal status.
    In everyday language, Public Holiday and Bank Holiday are often used interchangeably. The only Bank Holiday that is not also a Public Holiday is Good Friday. Good Friday has no legal basis as a holiday. Always use the expression Public Holiday. The State occasionally declares days to be ‘Public Holidays’ as they did for 31 December, 1999, Millennium Eve.
    In some employments – local authorities and creameries – employees also take the Church Holidays. The Church Holidays were 6 January, Ascension Thursday, Corpus Christi, 15 August, 1 November and 8 December. With a fortnight’s notice these can be substituted for Public Holidays. Employees in the sectors mentioned often take both Public and Church Holidays, the extra days being subtracted from their Annual Leave entitlement
    What Is The Qualification For Public Holiday Benefit?

Employees, other than part-time, have an immediate entitlement to Public Holiday benefits. Part-time workers must have worked at least forty (40) hours in the five (5) weeks ending on the day before the Public Holiday to qualify for the Public Holiday benefit.
    What Should An Employee Get On A Public Holiday?

In respect of a Public Holiday, an employee is entitled to whichever of the following the employer determines –

a paid day off on that day;

a paid day off within a month of that day;

an additional day of Annual Leave;

an additional day’s pay.
    If the employer does not nominate one of these options at least twenty-one (21) days before a Public Holiday, the employee will automatically be entitled to a paid day off on the holiday.
    and
    What Should An Employee Be Paid On A Public Holiday?

Where the Public Holiday falls on a day on which an employee normally works, they are entitled to a day’s pay for the Public Holiday.
    Where the Public Holiday falls on a day when the employee does not normally work, they are entitled to one fifth of their normal weekly wage for the Public Holiday. Where an employee is required to work a Public Holiday, the employee is entitled to an additional day’s pay for the Public Holiday – or to a paid day off within a month of the Public Holiday or to an additional day of Annual Leave.
    It is common industrial relations practice, and recorded in employer-trade union agreements, that where this occurs – an employee being required to work a Public Holiday – they receive an extra day’s pay on the Public Holiday plus a paid day off at some later date. If the employee ceases to be employed during the week ending on the day before a Public Holiday, having worked in the previous four weeks preceding that week, s/he is entitled to receive pay for the Public Holiday.

Advertisement