Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber recommendation?

Options
  • 01-01-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi there, can anyone recommend a good plumber in the Trim/Navan area?

I have 2 rads (either side of a wall) that don't heat up properly, so I'm assuming they need to be flushed? I've tried bleeding them with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Probably just something simple like an airlock.
    Have you opened the square nut at the top corner of the rad?
    Just trying to save you a few quid, if it's not that my brother is a plumber in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

chewed wrote: »
    Hi there, can anyone recommend a good plumber in the Trim/Navan area?

I have 2 rads (either side of a wall) that don't heat up properly, so I'm assuming they need to be flushed? I've tried bleeding them with no luck.

Is it for heating the cow shed

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Larry Kelly Heating and Plumbing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Probably just something simple like an airlock.
    Have you opened the square nut at the top corner of the rad?
    Just trying to save you a few quid, if it's not that my brother is a plumber in your area.

I've tried this and when I open these, clear water gushes out immediately so I'm assuming it's not an air lock.

chewed wrote: »
    I've tried this and when I open these, clear water gushes out immediately so I'm assuming it's not an air lock.

Was talking to the brother and he said the rads might need to be balanced.
    Not a complicated job and one you can do yourself, he said people have different ways of doing it so I'd recommend searching YouTube or google for talk you trough it DIY fix.
    Failing that I can tell you what the brother told me.
    Failing thaaat, call a plumber and failin that the world as you know it will end:D

• Advertisement

Was talking to the brother and he said the rads might need to be balanced.
    Not a complicated job and one you can do yourself, he said people have different ways of doing it so I'd recommend searching YouTube or google for talk you trough it DIY fix.
    Failing that I can tell you what the brother told me.
    Failing thaaat, call a plumber and failin that the world as you know it will end:D

Thanks bitemybanger! I'd appreciate if you could tell me what info your brother had on this. Otherwise I might get him out if he's available.

Ok, hope you can follow this.
    1: turn off all the valves on all rads in the house
    2: turn on the heating
    3: after about 10-15 mins go to your first rad (in no Perticular order)
    4: open one valve and if the pipe coming from the ground dosnt start to heat up after a few seconds close it and go to the valve on the other end of the rad and repeat. This will let you know which side is the flow.when you establish which side is the flow open it fully. Go to the other valve and open it slightly until you hear the water flowing trough the valve.
    5: repeat on all rads to balance whole system.

If this dosnt work I will pass you on his number.

Forgot to mention it's best done when the rads are all cold.

Thanks a million for the advice! I'll try this over the weekend and hopefully all will be fixed. :)

No problem. Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Well Chewed, did it work?

Advertisement