Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options
  • 01-01-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

That's a line from one of my favourite 80's songs - In a big country. I'm not sure why I think it's a good title for my log but the song came on this morning when I was running and it just sounded good. And let's face it, it's been a long enough wintertime and I need to believee there's a bit of sun. So that's it!

2011 - what's the story? Well, first race will be the Raheny 5 at the end of January. Did this in 44:11 last year, would like to better that but not sure if I'm in the shape yet. The first big one is Barcelona in just about 9 weeks, 6th March, really looking forward to that. The ultimate aim is New York, 9 months later on 6th November. Let's see how the year goes...

So to start - 1/1/2011, 12.47 miles in 2:02:33. Kept the miles slow, between 9:50 & 10:00. Belted the last mile in 9:10, because I liked the song on at the time! Not a bad start to the year, and 5th day consecutive running :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

racheljev wrote: »
    That's a line from one of my favourite 80's songs - In a big country. I'm not sure why I think it's a good title for my log but the song came on this morning when I was running and it just sounded good. Let's see how the year goes...

:)

Ahh...The wonderful Stuart Adamson RIP......Good luck with this year's running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

All the best for the new log and goals Rach.

Roll on Barcalona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the new log Rachel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with your goals for 2011 Rachel, sounds like an exciting year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

4.3 miles in 41 mins, should have been 6 but didn't have time. But... 6 consecutive days and 35 miles for week - more than I've done in a loooong time. Now, off to support the boy in GAA tournament, come on the Vins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Great first week in new log!

3.8 miles in 34:18. Decided to try a quick one this morning.
    Mile 1: warmup 9:34.
    Mile 2: 4x1min fast, with 30sec recovery, 8:23.
    Mile 3: Steady speed, aiming to keep below 8:50, actual 8:45
    0.8 mile cooldown 7:35.
    Best pace was 7:11 (for about 20 secs probably ;)). Right calf like a fricking rock now, off to do some work with the tennis ball. 7th day in a row...

Felt like absolute sh** yesterday morning when the alarm went off, so wussed out of yesterday's run. Felt crap all day, really thought I was coming down with something. Alarm went off this morning and didn't feel too bad so got out of bed before I could change my mind. 8 miles in 1:17:48. Kept a fairly steady pace and felt like I could have done a couple more by the time I got back. Happy enough with that after feeling so bad yesterday... hopefully whatever it was has passed me by.

4.2 miles in 39.35. Couldn't find my jacket and it was very fricking cold out there - horrible little bits of frost to slip on in the dark. Stupid snow better not be on the way back, Barcelona is too close now... Thinking of doing the Aware 10k next week. Didn't sign up for it in December, just forgot about it in the end. But closing date is extended I think, so might just do it. Already signed up for Raheny 5 so that would be two races in January, nothing in Feb and Barca in March, yahoo! Still feeling a little on the sh** side, hoping mind over matter keeps me well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Finally found your new log as I was wondering how you were doing. Good luck with it. I can't beleive Barca is so close...not long left before Taper :eek:

How are you set for it - you seem to be looking forward to it?

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    I can't beleive Barca is so close...not long left before Taper :eek:

How are you set for it - you seem to be looking forward to it?

Bit nervous tbh, haven't done enough long runs yet. But Barca is not a goal race, it was my plan b after DCM got canned. Just going to try and enjoy it if possible! Long run this weekend and Aware 10k next week will give me an idea of where I stand.

3.9 miles in 37:27, avg pace 9:31. Did my mini-hill workout, 5 inclines of about 0.2 miles each. Pumped my arms, as instructed in chi running workshop :) They're only small little hills but they help me feel a bit more confident. Signed up for Aware 10k yesterday - finally! Just have to collect my number (or get OH to do it ;))

Tomorrow is a big lsr for me, it should be 17 miles. It was at this stage of the last program that I got the stress fracture so I'm quite nervous about it. I really need this one though, I've nowhere near enough long runs done so fingers crossed it goes ok. And I don't have to get a taxi after 3 miles like last August...

Best of luck at the Aware 10k this weekend.

I know how you feel about tomorrow, felt that way when i did the same distance NYE last Friday - had been my longest since I came back from injury like yourself but it was grand, just slow it down, you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the 17 miler racheljev, I know you are nervous after your what happened during the summer, but just head out the door and take it handy, mile by mile. It will be a huge confidence boost for when you get it done, and injury-free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Fingers crossed for your lsr rachael. Nice and slow, you can do it!

17.1 miles in 2:47:02, avg pace 9:46. Hurray! Got my lsr done, yahoo. Had to stop at 10.5 miles for desperately needed loo break, almost a baaaad situation, but got back out and finished my run. Injury free as well, unless you count the big jammy dodger of a knee I now have from slipping and falling on a drain thingy with only a mile to go. My feet went left, my body went right and I went down. Ripped my running tights and took a lump of skin off my knee, which is now feeling stiff. Crap. Anyway, the main thing is I got my 17 miles done. Broke it down into half hour stints, didn't think beyond that. Had a jelly baby every 2 miles and that seemed to work. So apart from the dodgy belly and bloody knee, all is good. Happy out.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Rach that's cracking stuff, well done and at a great pace :D. Sounds like a sore fall and I hope its nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ouch...Hope the knee is ok... R-I-C-E (disclaimer: that's not medical advice I'm merely stating a food type);) It was quite slippy out there this morning though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

17 miles...Wow! 2hr 47 run...WOW! And a great pace!!
    Thats fantastic. You must be delighted. Hope your knee is okay and not too stiff. In fairness though, you deserve a rest after that run so put it up and smile at you accomplishment. Like the idea of the half hour stint to :)

Thanks folks, happy it's done! Currently icing my knee in the hope it'll be ok. More upset that I ripped my running tights :( Off to Wiggle to see if they've any bargains...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fair Play Rachel!! You must get some time off and come for a long group run some weekend. Your pace is exactly what we're doing most of the big group runs at...deffo looking good for Barca now. Any particular time goals? I'll be available for 4hr pacing gigs I think....

Ooooh I'd love to think I could give 4 hrs a smack... I'm registered as more than 4 hours cos I honestly didn't think I'd be able for anything else, but maybe we'll see closer to the time. I might be calling on your expertise Meno!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Injury free as well, unless you count the big jammy dodger of a knee I now have from slipping and falling on a drain thingy with only a mile to go. My feet went left, my body went right and I went down. Ripped my running tights and took a lump of skin off my knee, which is now feeling stiff. Crap.

I had to laugh when I read this... There must be something in the air!
    If it's any consolation, my knee is doing fine now, nice and scabby :D You'll be right as rain in a day or so.

5.06 miles in 47:36. Knee very stiff to start with, got a bit easier and then got a bit more painful so cut short the proposed 7-8 miles. Finally, common sense reigns! No soreness at all from yesterday's lsr, except of course my knee and my pride. Mileage for the week 42.06, chuffed with that. 5 days in a row as well. Have to decide now what to do for next week - do I take it easy in preparation for the Aware 10k on Saturday or do I say, sod it, Barcelona is more important and run the 10k as part of the week's mileage. Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Have to decide now what to do for next week - do I take it easy in preparation for the Aware 10k on Saturday or do I say, sod it, Barcelona is more important and run the 10k as part of the week's mileage. Decisions, decisions...

Second one.;)

4 miles in 36:09. Felt like there was absolutely nothing in the tank this morning - had initially intended to do sprints but did 3 quickish miles instead.
    Mile 1: 9:31 warmup
    Mile 2: 8:56
    Mile 3: 8:43
    Mile 4: 8:56 supposed to be cool down but just went quicker than intended.
    Avg pace 9:01. Better than expected outcome - really not in the mood this morning, very tired and head feels a bit like there's a cold coming on - dry and itchy throat, snuffly nose. But now I'm smug and happy because I did a decent enough session even though I didn't want to... Nice cup of tea and a biccie now (not choc, back on the healthy eating plan as of this monrning :rolleyes:)

I KNEW I didn't feel right on Monday! And sure enough by Monday evening I was poleaxed with a bad cold. Only a cold, not the flu, but enough to wipe me out till yesterday. As soon as the kids were in school, I got back into bed and that's something I never ever do. And my new Mizuno shoes, courtesy of the Running Review, arrived Monday and I was too ill to do anything except open them up. I used them to walk to the school on Tuesday and Wednesday - couldn't trust myself in the car cos I was dosed up to the eyeballs on paracetemol and Nurofen cold and flu. (I know they're not supposed to make you drowsy but they space me out a little bit...) Wednesday evening I felt a wee bit better, and better again yesterday. So this morning did 3.3 miles in 32:47 in the new shoes - soooo sloooow and it felt really hard :( So, not holding out much hope for Aware 10k tomorrow. I'll go along and give it a go but if I finish in under an hour I'll be happy.... So much for "this will be a good week, I'm doing so well for Barcelona" yadda yadda yadda. Sometimes real life really kicks you in the a$$.

I feel your pain, my chest still is no better this morning Rach. I know there's no chance of me racing Waterford now.Was chatting to Brian as I was heading down with him and he said to wait til the morning, maybe I can do it as an MP run but I know right now I wouldn't be able to breathe and sure I'd just make myself sicker then. So I am trying to think about Barca - the bigger picture.

Don't be too down on yourself, you're flying it. Remember you just whooped that LSR last week too. Better off not getting sicker and taking it easier and doing great in Barca rather than having to take longer off.

Sitting outside the park, waiting to head into race. It's raining, it's cold and I have my usual pre-race dodgy tummy. Why do we do this?? Not holding out much hope for anything good today - if I come in under an hour, it'll be ok. Update later.

• Advertisement

Started today with my usual pre race dodgy tummy and headache so wasn't holding out much hope for a good time. The cold poleaxed me for most of this week and I honestly didn't think I'd do ok today. Added to that, the wind and rain were just mad. I said to myself before I went, just finish under an hour. That was my goal. Got to the park nice and early and parked in my usual spot just outside the park walls. I stayed in the car for ages because I just didn't want to get too wet too early - what a wuss! Eventually headed up to the start line and left my bag. There was a warmup with the bootcamp crowd, which was a bit of a distraction and helped pass a few minutes in the cold and rain. Got started and headed off. The crowd seemed to thin out quite quickly, possibly helped by the man in the lime green mankini who passed me around the 1km marker... jeez, that was a sight ;) Anyway, at that stage my pace was about 5:30/km which was my ideal pace last week before I was sick. It didn't feel too tough so I thought I'd keep it going. 1&2km were ok because they were flat and the wind was behind, but going past the Pope's cross was mad windy. Heading down by the back of the 15acres, the trees shaded a bit but heading up the first of the hills, the wind was back. I just kept plodding and plodding and the time was still okay. I had a bit of a head/legs battle around 5/6km, the head wanted to walk but the legs said, nah we're alright for another bit. Hitting the top of the second hill close to 8km was a great feeling and I was still hitting 5:31/32 pace. Knew when I came out of the Furry glen that I was nearly there so started to speed up - came over the line in 5:06 pace:D Final time 54:27. Absolutely frickin delighted with that, confidence restored after last week's small illness setback. Headed back to the car with a huge smile on my face. Happy days.:)

Advertisement