Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm past the point of caring about the neighbours now. I stand outside my front door for however long it takes to get satellite reception on my garmin (sometimes it takes AGES :p) and I'll run up and down and round and round the estate until I hear that mile beep. :cool:

Rachel, some of those miles times yesterday - very impressive. Just take the training day by day. Try not to think too far ahead. Yeah not easy I know. What is it with us women lying in bed awake worrying about stuff. :rolleyes:

Thanks K, have to make myself take it one day at a time and not get too caught up. I actually did that run this morning, between 6:30 and 8 - is it any wonder I'm frickin' knackered... With kids off school and OH not home till between 7 and 8 every evening, it's just better to get out early, even though it's a pain in the a$$. Re the garmin: I put mine outside the door first thing, before I put my shoes on and get myself sorted. By the time I'm ready to go, it's normally found the signal and even though I live on de nortsoide, it still hasn't been robbed yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Claralara let you go anywhere near Mortons? :eek:

Shhhhhh.... She thought I was in the Ice Bar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    There's a rumour going around Mortons that there's a woman waving to aliens up the road every morning!:D

The last alien to leave our neighbourhood and surrounds left a few months ago, so that is a blatant lie. ;)

The last alien to leave our neighbourhood and surrounds left a few months ago, so that is a blatant lie. ;)

:D

What or where is Morton's - and no, I'm not being slow, I'm being a northsider :D

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    What or where is Morton's - and no, I'm not being slow, I'm being a northsider :D

I can't really comment as I've never been in there. It looks very inviting from the outside though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a pub in Firhouse - about 1km down the road from my mammy's and close enough to jcsmum.

It's a pub in Firhouse - about 1km down the road from my mammy's and close enough to jcsmum.

and wasn't digger banned from there for being inappropriately dressed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Claralara let you go anywhere near Mortons? :eek:

I did not. If I find out he was hanging out around RK and jcsmum's Firhouse "wind tunnel" again, he can take a hike!!

claralara wrote: »
    I did not. If I find out he was hanging out around RK and jcsmum's Firhouse "wind tunnel" again, he can take a hike!!

RK's not living in Firhouse any more - Dublin 8 these days :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh no.... Please don't bring up the running tights and my Linford Christie impression again....:eek:

claralara wrote: »

I did that already.... It's a long way from the gate of your Parent's house to the front door! ;)

Why did a picture of a mankini pop into my head when I read that statement. Oh jeez, my eyes! my eyes!

Why did a picture of a mankini pop into my head when I read that statement. Oh jeez, my eyes! my eyes!

Jeez Rachel if you had problems sleeping last night..... you haven't a hope tonight! :eek:

Plan: 16 miles w/10 @ MP
    Actual: 16 miles, 3 @ 9:24 pace, 10 @ 8:50-9:09, 3 @ 10:50 pace

For a sub 4 marathon, I need to be doing somewhere between 9 and 9:08 miles so that's the pace I aimed for today. Only one was 9:09, I had 3 in a row that went 9:05, 9:04, 9:03. 6 of the miles though were 8:50 - 8:55 so I was definitely too fast at the stage. That probably explains why the final 3 miles were such slow jog/walk torture - I just wanted to get home! Had to have a toilet break just before mile 7, nowhere was open and I was getting panicky. But luckily someone inside a pub saw me desperately trying to open the door and let me in. Phew. Needed a stretch around mile 10 and as I said, from 13 on wasn't great. But... and it's a big but... I feel that was a good session today. One that's definitely a bit of a confidence booster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Plan: 16 miles w/10 @ MP
    Actual: 16 miles, 3 @ 9:24 pace, 10 @ 8:50-9:09, 3 @ 10:50 pace

For a sub 4 marathon, I need to be doing somewhere between 9 and 9:08 miles so that's the pace I aimed for today. Only one was 9:09, I had 3 in a row that went 9:05, 9:04, 9:03. 6 of the miles though were 8:50 - 8:55 so I was definitely too fast at the stage. That probably explains why the final 3 miles were such slow jog/walk torture - I just wanted to get home! Had to have a toilet break just before mile 7, nowhere was open and I was getting panicky. But luckily someone inside a pub saw me desperately trying to open the door and let me in. Phew. Needed a stretch around mile 10 and as I said, from 13 on wasn't great. But... and it's a big but... I feel that was a good session today. One that's definitely a bit of a confidence booster :)

That's a great session there Rachel!! I did that run a few weeks ago and it's a real killer but a great one to get through. What's the plans for the half? If you can hold 10 @ sub 9min/mile av pace in training, you'll go a fair bit faster in the race.

Thanks Meno. Not sure about what to go for in the 10 mile. Based on 5 mile and last week's 10k, McMillan has me somewhere between 88:26 and 88:57 for 10 miles. So I suppose somewhere around 88 would be the plan. Last year's 10 mile was 91 mins and I should def beat that - fingers crossed....

Plan: 5 miles @ recovery pace
    Actual: 5.1 @ 9:46 pace.

Slightly faster than intended. Legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's run, so ran at a comfortable pace. Miles all between 9:40 and 9:50.

For some reason I really really enjoyed this morning. Not sure why - probably a combination of not too hot, legs feeling good, great songs on my playlist... Just an enjoyable run, smiled most of my way around. I LOVE when I have a run like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Brilliant I love those runs

Plan: 8 GA miles w/ 10x100m strides
    Actual: 8.15 miles - 6.65 @ 9:32 pace, 10 x 80-100m strides @ 7:10 pace with 30secs recovery, 0.55 mile cooldown.

Loved this session this morning - what a turn around on strides :D
    Aimed my route so that I'd be close enough to home for the strides. There's a little green circle just down the road from me, it's 400m around the outside so I thought I'd use it for the strides. Got there nice and handy in just over an hour, did my stretches and started the strides. I made sure to count properly this time, so only did 10. I ran fast for between 15 and 20 seconds, and then slowed down for 30. I even hit 6:37 pace for one of them :eek: Did a few laps of the circle and then did my mini hill home as my cool down. Very happy with that one.

And I've decided to throw myself a party for my 40th. My birthday is the day after DCM and the week before NYC so I'm booking the friday of the bank holiday weekend - 28th October. It was either Friday or Saturday, but P&D have a rest day scheduled for the Saturday and miles for Sunday, so Friday night it is :D It's just a room in a pub nearby but I don't care. It'll be nice to have all my family and friends around me for something that isn't a funeral or a memorial mass, and if Nana was still here, she'd be giving out to me for NOT having a party so decision made :)

• Advertisement

Plan: 5 miles @ recovery pace
    Actual: 5 miles @ 10:18 pace, miles between 10:12 and 10:28

Soooo sloooow this morning, as intended. Reread the bit in P&D about recovery runs last night so made sure not to go too fast this morning and keep it nice and flat. Mad and all as it sounds, it's harder to run slow than fast. But if it works and keeps me fresh for the next session, so be it.

And I've decided to throw myself a party for my 40th. My birthday is the day after DCM and the week before NYC so I'm booking the friday of the bank holiday weekend - 28th October. It was either Friday or Saturday, but P&D have a rest day scheduled for the Saturday and miles for Sunday, so Friday night it is :D It's just a room in a pub nearby but I don't care. It'll be nice to have all my family and friends around me for something that isn't a funeral or a memorial mass, and if Nana was still here, she'd be giving out to me for NOT having a party so decision made :)

Big mistake mentioning parties on here. Did you not see the way people invited themselves to RK's house warming. :rolleyes::)

Great running there by the way

Big mistake mentioning parties on here. Did you not see the way people invited themselves to RK's house warming. :rolleyes::)

Great running there by the way

Teehee, I didn't mention WHERE the room was though did I? :rolleyes: Only joking, the more the merrier. If anyone wants to venture over de nortsoide, they're welcome. Although it's only 3 days before DCM. Any boardsies would probably be sitting in a corner, muttering to themselves -calculating carb loads, discussing mile paces and splits, not talking to or shaking hands with strangers in case they caught something before the big day...It'd be like a scene from One flew over the cuckoo's nest...

Anyway today:
    Plan: 8 GA miles (9:30+ pace)
    Actual: 8 miles @ 9:19 pace.

I KNOW this was too fast but it just happened, honest. A lot of it was into the wind and because of that, I was battling. Then, when I turmed a corner out of the wind, I was flying. Added two incline sections as well, one a half mile, the other a mile. Not a bad one, 21.15 so far for week.

Anyone know if it's ok to swap long runs on P&D? I've 18 miles scheduled for next week and not sure about how it'd work with Frank Duffy 10 mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Training is going great there Rachel - well done. I haven't been attending to the midweek runs properly at all :o Trying to get back on track this week but it's not going so great.

I did my 18 miles on Tuesday this week in anticipation of the 5k at the weekend though I don't think there'll be much in the legs to get a useful time at all. Ive been told it's fine to swap days and even split the longer midweek runs in two if necessary.

Plan: 12 mile lsr
    Actual: 12.65 miles @ 9:24 pace.

Again, too fast for an lsr. Did an out and back route, so that any problems/benefits with inclines would be evened out on a return leg. The out leg was quicker because I had the wind in my face on the way back. Trying to experiment with nutrition now, so took a jellybaby and a slug of water at the start of every mile. Seemed to be ok until start of mile 12 when dodgy tum kicked in. Just got in the door in time... Loads of runners around this morning, and they all said hello. Love when that happens :)

Plan: 4 miles @ recovery pace.
    Actual: 4 miles in 39:08, avg pace 9:47.

Nice end to a quite good week. Legs felt good, took it nice and easy. There was even a little bit of rain to help me cool down, happy days.
    Plan for week was 37 miles, actual 37.8 so only a little bit over.

Big week next week - it should be my first 50 mile week :eek: But it also includes the Frank Duffy 10 mile so I'm still not exactly sure how that's going to work out. Time to sit down with P&D again...

You going to Croker this afternoon?

(solid week btw :D )

I'm not going, have to mind the smallest one. OH and the other two are heading down. I learned through hard experience that I'm not good at Dublin matches. I'm better watching it at home, where I can abuse the telly/referee and leave the room if necessary :D

I learned through hard experience that I'm not good at Dublin matches. I'm better watching it at home, where I can abuse the telly/referee and leave the room if necessary :D
    I was sat next to the Tipp version of this today. Don't think I've ever heard so many variations on "Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint Joseph" in my life. :pac:

• Advertisement

Plan: 10 w/5 @ LT pace (8:46-9:06)
    Actual: 10 - 9:56, 9:18, 8:41, 8:25, 8:28, 8:19, 8:25, 9:21, 9:23, 9:24

I was dreading this one. 5 at LT pace seemed a bit much for first thing in the morning ;) The plan was 3 warmup, 5 LT, then last 2 cool down. But as I started mile 3 I realised I was within the LT range so I threw caution to the wind and started the LT there and then. And it wasn't as bad as expected. I had a bit of a dry heave attack in the middle of the 8:19 mile but apart from that it was ok. The only real problem was the weather. It was really warm, even at 6 a.m. so I was sweating profusely, big red/purple face on me. Then, just after the LT miles finished, it started to rain in my face. Which I normally like. But not when it means it's making the sweat run in my eyes. Honestly, I looked like a nutcase, blinking and squinting while trying to run and wipe my eyes at the same time. I'm sure I entertained lots of people sitting in traffic today :rolleyes: But... another decent session done and dusted. Happy days. :)

Advertisement