Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Some really good running there missus. You're in flying form at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Plan: 4 miles @ recovery pace.
    Actual: 14.5 miles @ 9:44 pace.

Yeah I know, actual doesn't match plan :rolleyes: Tomorrow's run should be 11 miles medium/long run so I swapped days. However I was already torn between giving Saturday's 10 mile my full attention and not missing out on my first 50 mile week. So... I added a few miles to tomorrow's run today, so I don't feel too bad about not doing a full 18 this weekend. Confused yet? Me too.

Up and out at 5.30 a.m. - really stupid o'clock. But OH leaves the house at 8:00 a.m. so it was get out then or not get enough miles in. I'd hoped for a full 15, but got stopped at two traffic lights for frickin' ages just before I got home, so 14.5 it was. It felt hard at the start, I was knackered, but I kept ticking off half hours and miles, and sure enough I got back home at 7:58 - perfect timing :) Another bonus was no dodgy tummy so no pitstops needed - just as well, there was nothing open :rolleyes:

Might do a few recovery miles tomorrow or might stay in bed and have two rest days in preparation for Saturday. Will decide tomorrow when alarm goes off :D

I was looking forward to this one. I really felt I was due a good race day out - Dunshaughlin 10k was crap, Irish runner 5 mile wasn't great, Dun Laoghaire 10k was very unpleasant, so I'd some high hopes for today. In my head, I reckoned I'd be able for 88-89 mins, which meant an avg pace of around 8:50.

Alarm went off at 7:30 but I took my time getting ready and eating brekkie. As a result, I was later than usual getting to my parking spot - which meant no parking spot :rolleyes: But, not to worry, I found one 100m back down the road. Headed off for a little warmup just to see how the legs felt. Did about 1.25 miles which brought me to the start area. Queued for the toilets for ages and eventually headed over to the start. As I walked down past all the starters, there seemed to be a hell of a lot of people in wave 1. I'd planned to go in wave 2 but wave 1 seemed endless. Eventually found a way into 2 and worked my way up. 10 a.m. came and went. It was very hot, the sun was already high and it was till early. It was 10:14 by the time I started and as I passed over the start line, the announcer mentioned something about "now wave 3 people, enjoy your run". Holy crap, was I in wave 3??? It certainly felt like it. First mile was 9:05 :eek: Way too slow. Passed what felt like hundreds of people in the first mile and a half. Mile 2 was quicker - 8:14 - but I had to be careful not to try and make up the time too quickly, and then lose out in the second half. 3 & 4 were 8:31 and 8:50. Reached halfway in about 43 1/2 mins. Heat was still getting to me but I'd brought water so I was doing ok.

Mile 6 was a bit crap, back on the footpath and getting caught up with people again - 8:56. But I kept chugging away. Mile 7 seemed to pass in a blur and all of a sudden I'd passed the 8 mile landmark. My garmin said I was at around 70 mins so I knew sub 90 was safe. I reckoned I was heading for sub 89 which was brill. Mile 9 was 8:13, happy days! Mile 10 was the worst of the whole day. I knew I was so close to home but I was knackered, legs were wrecked and the sharp left and short uphill nearly killed me. Walked for about 20 secs and a man behind me said, come on nearly there, come on. So I did. The last few hundred metres were so hard. The finish line couldn't come quick enough and finally it did. Over the line in 87:34, 10:07 miles, avg pace 8:41. Halle-frickin-lujah! I couldn't believe it. About 4 mins off last years time. I know the course is different but I don't think it's that much faster. Collected my tshirt, ate my banana and did another 1.25miles back to the car as a cool down.

So, I got my good day. I'm really really happy with that time, and according to Macmillan, it's edging me ever closer to a 4 hour marathon - 5 mins away now! All in all, very happy with my Saturday :D

Plan: 18 mile lsr
    Actual: 13.02 mile @ 9:36 avg pace.

Didn't do the full lsr today because of yesterday's 10 mile race and the 14.5 midweek run. Legs feel tired and sluggish today, left leg in particular a bit achy. It was this time last year I got injured so I'm going to be very careful and pay attention to twinges and aches. My parents organised a sports massage for me tomorrow, so I'll go along and see how it goes. I've been working with the tennis ball and doing extra stretches so hopefully it's just a mad tight calf which is the problem. That said, it didn't really affect my run too much today - more ache than pain definitely. I stopped twice for a bit of stretching during the run and it helped. And....drumroll, my mileage for the week is 50.03 miles - woohoo! My first ever 50 mile week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done rachel, great work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great race report Rachel. And well done on your LSR yesterday! Puts some of us to shame! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on a great race Rachel! Brilliant stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Savage stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on a great race Rachel! Brilliant stuff :)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Savage stuff ;)

Do you two always go on the internet at the same time? :confused: :P

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you two always go on the internet at the same time? :confused: :P

Well, it's where we met! I always wanted an Internet bride but was hoping she'd have a tan ;)

• Advertisement

Well, it's where we met! I always wanted an Internet bride but was hoping she'd have a tan ;)

FFS!!

To answer the original question - I am not online that often at the minute as I have limited access. I do however, post an update when I'm at home looking for a new job. Digdig, on the other hand, appears to go online only when he is attempting to lose his job so he can be at home watching Jeremy Kyle. :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

bride

:eek: it's official.... ladies it's time to start hat shopping!

littlebug wrote: »
    :eek: it's official.... ladies it's time to start hat shopping!

Do people wear hats to castration ceremonies of smart a*ses these days?! :pac:

Jeez I don't post for a day and the log goes a bit nuts... I love it when that happens :D

Plan: 7 recovery miles w/ 6x100m sprints.
    Actual: 7.1 miles - 6 @ 10:24 pace, 6x20sec sprints w/40sec recovery (0.67 mile), 0.43 mile cooldown.

Not a bad one at all. Made sure to keep the early miles really slow. Left calf still a bit achy and sore - physio last night couldn't believe how tight muscle was. But it was okay once I warmed up. Did some stretches before the sprints and it was fine. Feels grand now, will continue stretches and tennis ball massage later. 12 miles tomorrow, and supposed to be rest on Thursday with LT miles Friday. But I'm going to switch that around so it's rest on Friday in prep for 20 on Saturday - already feeling nervous about that one and it's only Tuesday...

Plan: 12 mile med/long run
    Actual: 8.2 miles in 9:47 pace.

It's the usual story - want to make God laugh? Make plans :rolleyes: Yesterday's run was grand and the plans for the week were all good... But my calf and shin felt sore. And still felt sore all day. I iced it and massaged and stretched. But the ache/pain was still there. I decided to take each mile this morning as it happened, and see how I felt. It was quite sore at the start but eased after the first mile or so. I ticked off each mile and assessed each time - will I go on? Will I go back? After 3.5 miles I stopped and stretched. That definitely helped. Eventually I got to 8 miles, very close to my house. Would I go on for another loop or would I go home? It wasn't very sore but what if... Common sense prevailed and I came home - 8.2 miles.

I KNOW it's nothing like last year - it's an ache rather than a pain and I was able to run through it. But I don't want to HAVE to run through aches and have them all of a sudden become something that's a disaster and stops everything. I'm 93 days away from NYC - yes, I've counted :rolleyes: So now I'm sitting with the leg up, icing away. And I'm taking a few days off. Training has been going very well - the 10 mile on Saturday was better than I expected, I've done a few LT and sprint runs and got the hang of them. At this stage, I don't think a few days will have a huge effect. I'll miss a 20 mile this weekend, but I WILL make it up later on. I would really really hate to miss something I've looked forward to so much, just because I wasn't prepared to accept that my body needed a break for a few days. And let's face it, I'm getting old, I'm knackered! Hopefully a few days will recharge the batteries and help the calf/shin - fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

No harm in taking it easy or doing less mileage. You did the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I think us girls are better at listening to the body than the boys are. Good on you.

Missing a few mile now won't make a huge difference in the long run, but running yourself into injury would!
    Enjoy a few days rest.
    Get your stretches in or get out the foamroller :(:p

...and sure aren't we all getting older :D You can't use that as an excuse!

Plan: 6 recovery miles
    Actual: 6.2 miles @ 9:33 pace

Took it easy for the last five days. I was dying to get out but held back to make sure the leg felt okay. I've iced, massaged, nurofened, sticked and stretched that buggering calf since last Wednesday :) I was very wary when I went out first thing - I did a few stretches and warm ups, and then took it very handy for the first mile. The plan was to take each mile as it came, same as the last day - if it felt sore, straight home. And thankfully, it felt okay.

Last week, I did a quick assessment and decided to change a few things. For instance, I've been wearing sandals all summer, which are probably not helping my plodlike flat feet. So back into shoes with insoles. I changed the arch lift on the orthotic to a slightly higher one. I bought The Stick and have been using that, as well as my trusty tennis ball. I've made sure to do my stretching and exercises every day, at least twice. And I took some Nurofen for 3 days and iced to help the inflammation.

Right now, there's still a bit of an ache, like the muscle is being caught between someone's fingernails but there's no pain when running and no pain (so far) after. It's achiest first thing in the morning but gets better as the day goes on. I'm icing right now as a precautionary measure but fingers crossed, it seems okay. I will definitely keep an eye on it and amend the schedule as required for the next few weeks - I'm getting to New York, one way or the other.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Rachel, you're training has been going fantastic, taking it a bit easier for another few days won't do you any harm at all. Loads of time til NY :) Mind yourself.

Plan: 14 miles med/long run
    Actual: 6.31 miles @ 9:42 pace

Playing around with schedule a teeny bit - kids back in school tomorrow so try to do today's 14 then. Didn't really want to push too much this morning, just in case. Shin/calf ok, did my stretches and stick yesterday, will continue today. It felt fine while running, one or two twinges but no pain. Long may that continue :)
    Edit: another change - I find it hurts more if I run on the left footpath of the road (if that makes sense). It must be the camber that makes the arch drop further and increases the strain. So, right hand paths only from now on - honestly, I look like such a plonker crossing backwards and forwards to find the optimum path height!

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »

It must be the camber that makes the arch drop further and increases the strain. So, right hand paths only from now on - honestly, I look like such a plonker crossing backwards and forwards to find the optimum path height!

I always thought your short leg would negate the camber Rach ;)

Plan: 14 miles
    Actual: 12.5 miles @ 9:46 pace

Well that was a doozy :mad:. An absolutely sh*tty crappy awful horrendous (insert your own favourite word for bad) run. From the start I felt crap. I was tired, stressed out with getting the 3 school goers ready and out the door. By the time I got back from the school run, I was already in bad form. I very reluctantly put my gear on and headed out the door. I went to a small park a mile and a half away and decided to run around it - the path around the edge is 0.65 miles. After 10 laps I was like an antichrist. I had to stop and stretch a few times. I got 3 phone calls - my phone never normally rings! I even tried a lucozade gel but couldn't get the frickin thing open - I had to stop and wrestle the top off the stupid yoke. Memo to self: don't buy the lucozade gels again. I ended up with about half of it squeezed through a teeny hole in the top - I used more energy getting the bloody thing open than I actually got from taking it.

I headed out of the park at that stage and ran part of one of my usual routes. It was hot, I didn't have enough water and I was getting into an even fouler mood. At this stage, the aim was 10 miles. I got to 10 miles and turned around to go to oldest boy's school - he was off early. By the time I got there, I'd just hit 12.5. And that was it for the day.

My leg hurts and I have a headache from not getting lunch after my run. I'm off now to see if I can find any chocolate in the house - what are the odds that there isn't any? :mad::mad::mad:

But you still did a 12.5 miles so forget about the horrors of a bad one and chalk it down. Trust me - I'm the queen of bad runs, and I'm a firm believer that they're good for the mental strength. Everyone has a few bad days so don't think it's the end of the world. Look back at your log at how well your training has gone - you're doing great. You're a week behind me in the schedule and I had that type of week last week. Feel so much better this week! Keep up your good work!

Thanks CL, have to keep the head up and not get caught up in a self pity party :o Still feeling crap today, leg still a bit achy and feeling generally sh**ty. Missing my Nana something rotten today - stupid things setting me off and making me cry, I'm an emotional and mental wreck this week! Plan is for 18-20 tomorrow but will review as I go and see how I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Rachel, just catching up on your log. Sorry to hear you are having a tough time of it at the moment but as claralara says it will pass. Fair play to you for easing off and minding yourself, that takes a very strong will, most of us would have kept running and ended up injured. There is nothing wrong with emotional days too, they are part of what makes us human. Hugs x

Plan: 16 miles w/12 @ PMP pace.
    Actual: 17.3 miles @ 9:48 avg pace.

I decided to ignore the plan this morning. I knew if I had a bad PMP run this morning, my confidence would be smacked way down and it might not come back up again for a while. So, I decided on a straight forward LSR. I couldn't shake this ridiculous feeling of doom this morning, which made me want to not stray too far from home - just in case. I headed up the road on my usual route and decided to measure about a half mile. For those of you northsiders who know the Beaumont area, it's 0.65 mile from the Beaumont House to Artaine Castle. For anyone else, that makes no sense at all :rolleyes: So, I ran up and down the Beaumont Road 10 times :). Which, by the time I got back to my house for an emergency toilet stop, got me to 15 miles. I stopped twice to stretch along the way and the calf felt okay - mad tight but not painful. After a very quick pit stop, I did another 2.3 miles up to the boy's GAA club. Total: 17.3 miles in 2:49:40. All of the miles were between 9:45 & 9:57, except for the last 3, which were 9:30.

So... not exactly a big confidence booster, but more importantly not a confidence smackdown. No real issues this morning - a tight muscle and only a very small dodgy tummy. I haven't had a good week but I've still done over 42 miles and I plan another few tomorrow. Time to put the bad runs and the emotions out of the way and start visualising 9 weeks time.

Plan: 8 GA miles
    Actual: 8 miles @ 9:09 pace

I hadn't run since Saturday - decided to take Sunday off as my achilles was feeling a teeny bit sore after Saturday, and Monday was a scheduled rest day. Went to physio yesterday for maintenance massage, she said calf wasn't as tight as it had been, so keep up stretches and stick rubs.
    Headed out this morning into the mad blustery storm, my favourite:D Decided on an out and back route, which was great. It was uphill and windy on the way out, and downhill and windy on the way back - perfect. I wanted to keep the pace fairly high but not too fast. However the legs felt great so the last three miles were 9:09, 8:57 and 8:50. Happy days. Again, not necessarily a confidence booster but not a smackdown.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a VO2 run. However seeing as every time I try to work out my VO2 max I drift off into another world, it might just end up being strides :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff, glad to see legs are easing out and you're back on track,

Plan: 8 miles w/5 x 800m @ 5k pace - VO2 max
    Actual: 8 miles w/5 x 0.4 mile (643m)

Well that was a toughie :) but in a good way. The session went as follows:
    1.7 miles warmup @ 9:30 avg pace
    7:09, 7:17, 7:17, 7:24, 7:17, 5 x 0.4 recovery @ 11 min avg pace
    2.3 miles cool down.

I know I didn't do the full 800m, 643m instead - I found a good place down on the seafront and ran from one shelter to another which meant distance was 0.4 mile instead of 0.5. I also did more recovery than P&D recommend - I did the full 0.4 mile instead of 50-90% of the distance. But for my first VO2 session, I'm very happy with it. I was much faster than I've ever been - ok, for less than 3 mins but still, I'm happy.

Left calf still playing up, very tight. But once I'm warmed up and stretched, it doesn't seem to affect my running. Hopefully that continues. 5 recovery miles tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Plan: 5 miles @ recovery pace
    Actual: 5.1 miles @ 9:58 avg pace.

As close to recovery pace as I can get without actually stopping in the middle of the road ;) Left calf felt ok while running and then seized up when I stopped, very painful. Deep heat, a bit of massage and some nurofen seem to have worked - still a bit painful to the touch but feels looser. More stretching and sticking today methinks...

Advertisement