Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Plan: 14 miles (according to P&D, but actually hoping for closer to 18 because of next week's half)
    Actual: 15.3 miles @ 10:27 pace

Another run to forget. Crappy and horrible from the start. Left calf seized up again. Had to stop at least 3 times to stretch, and most of the last mile was walked. Stopped at 11.5 miles for toilet stop and took a gel to try and get moving again. Gel was horrendous and made me retch. Stomach then felt horrible for the rest of the way and the legs felt worse. When I restarted after toilet stop, legs just weren't co-operating so I knew 18 miles was a dream and just concentrated on getting home. A horrible horrible run where unfortunately the head won out over the legs :(

Not feeling very confident or enthusiastic about next week's half marathon. Seriously contemplating not doing it. If it goes well, then great. But, as is more likely, if it's a stinker I'll be gutted. 8 weeks to NYC tomorrow and really not feeling the love today...

Plan: 7 miles w/6 x 100m strides
    Actual: 7.3 miles - 5.22 @ 9:33 pace, 7 x 100m @ 6:49 pace with 7 x 100m recovery, 1.25 mile cooldown @ 9:30 pace

Took Sunday off because I felt so awful after Saturday. Spent a lot of yesterday trying to work out what's wrong. Firstly, I'm tired, exhausted to my very bones - but everybody training for an Autumn marathon is knackered at this stage so not much I can do about that. Second, I'm still trying to lose weight so I'm dieting, which is probably not the best idea if I'm lashing into the miles. So, get some more sleep and eat a bit more decent food. Also, my nutrition strategy, if you could call it that, is all over the place for long runs. I need to get that sorted and quickly. My left calf is still causing problems - something else to get sorted quickly.

Went out this morning not expecting to do very much and go very far. Thought that if I got to 5 miles feeling ok, I'd give the strides a go. Did a longish loop which brought me to a nearby park at just over 5 miles, didn't feel too bad so gave the strides a go on the football pitch. The wind was a bit all over the place but I still kept it going. Couldn't remember whether I was supposed to do 6 or 7 strides so did 7, just to be safe. Jogged home nice and easy to cool down.

Happier now than I was first thing. I really need to put the last few crappy runs from my head and try to concentrate on the good ones. Still not completely decided about Saturday but at this stage, will probably maybe possibly give it a go....

Plan: Plan? What plan??
    Actual: 6 miles @ 9:21 avg pace.

Took a while to get myself out the door this morning, kept inventing excuses. But I finally HTFU'd and went out for an easyish loop. Added my little mini-hills in as well, just to make my already red face slightly redder. Might do another few tomorrow, will decide then. Or might take it easy for Saturday - at the minute, I'm doing it. That may change later...

On a totally unrelated note, the postman delivered two tickets for the All-Ireland - a friend of a friend works for a charity who were given two tickets for fundraising. No raffle, no auction, just straightforward purchase at face value. Still a bit in shock I got them. There are two very happy boys in my house, I've definitely earned myself some brownie points :D

Not the most fun race I've ever had. Too depressed to write a decent report. Bad tummy issues this morning, leg felt ok though. Met Vagga at the start, had a chat for a few mins. Had hoped for something around 1:55. Lined up and got ready to go. Felt okay for first few miles. Mile 6 it all went crap. The up and down on Chesterfield ave did for me mentally. Just before mile 9 I passed the nearest park gate to my car and it took every bit of self discipline to stop myself walking out and giving up. Kept going. Finally got a little bit of second wind around mile 10-11. Kept going, just kept going. 1:55 was long gone, just wanted to finish under 2 hours. And did, just about. Chip time 1:59:37, avg pace 9:04. Only other half was 2009 and time was 2:13 so I've knocked a whack off that. But it's still a very soft pb. And I reckon it's knocked sub 4 in NYC on the head. Think it's time to reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sounds like it was a tough day for you, but don't give up on the NYC goal just yet. Remember, you'll have the amazing support of the New York crowd (which is actually quite unbelievable!) to cheer you on and no room for self doubt to creep in. Keep going. The hard work done up to now will win out!
    Good luck! ;)

• Advertisement

I took a week away from Boards and from my log - I think I was getting caught up in describing sh**ty runs and it was making me feel worse :( So this is what I got up to this week.

Monday: rest.
    Tuesday: 8.4 miles @ 9:25 pace
    Wednesday: 11.5 miles @ 9:42 pace
    Thursday: 5.1 miles w/4x100m strides - avg pace 9:29
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 20.42 miles @ 9:53 pace

Yay I got my first 20 miler in - finally! First 10 were no problem but I had to amend route for a toilet stop and water bottle refill at 10.6 miles. Headed back out again and needed another bloody toilet stop at 14.5 miles. Had intended to run around the Botanic Gardens because it was such a nice morning and use their toilet as well but apparently it's against the rules to run in the Bots :rolleyes: Walking only as the security guard who stopped me going in the gate told me. Ah well, used the toilet anyway. Stopped at 18 to stretch and at 20 to buy a carton of choc milk. Continued to middle girl's gym to collect her and finished at 20.42. Happy days.

Still not feeling mad confident about New York. I'll definitely get around without too much problem but whether that will be in 3:59:59 or 4:1x:xx remains to be seen. Trying not to obsess about it, just trying to enjoy the running.... not easy at the minute.

Followed on from last week and kept away from describing how crappy I was feeling :rolleyes: Leg was very very sore after last weeks lsr and really made me think long and hard about things. So, made an appointment with an Active release technique therapist for last Wednesday. Wow. That man knows how to make a body hurt. But it seemed to help - leg felt a lot better this morning.
    (Of course, that may because I took it fairly easy this week as well - gym sessions Tuesday and Thursday with 5 miles on treadmill and 10k on bike each day is not a whole lot for the week until today's lsr. But if it gets me to NY in one piece, I'll do it every week :))
    He also gave me a load of new stretches to do, to open up the hips as well. My ankles, achilles, calfs, everything is mad tight and it's causing problems all over. So, more stretches and more sticking and rolling.

Anyway, today's lsr was one of those runs that remind you why you love running. I was out just after 7 and the rain was torrential. But I didn't care. I loved loved loved this morning's run. 17.3 miles in 2:50. No need for a toilet break, tummy behaved itself. Stopped to stretch once, just to make sure leg was ok. Used a pack of Cliff shot bloks for a bit of a boost, they were grand, no ill effects at all. Only one problem today - one of the racer back straps on the sports bra undid itself after 3 miles. Only options were to take top off in middle of Donnycarney and fix it, or run on. I opted to run on :D There was a bit of a "swing low sweet chariot" going on with one of the girls but it didn't affect me too much ;) Anyway there was no one out because of the lovely rain. Great run, hopefully leg is still okay later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thank you for the post...one of the few things that made me laugh today :D

I will never be able to watch the english (try to) play rugby again after this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Yippie- Im delighted to hear you had a great run.

Staying away from my log seems to be paying dividends. Because I'm not logging every run, I'm not panicking about how to describe the crapness and so, it seems the crapness is not occurring as much :) I've pretty much discarded P&D for a while, I'm nursing my legs and minding the body a bit more for now - just want to get to the start line in 4 weeks. So this week:
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 8 miles w/4 x 640m VO2 max
    Wednesday - unplanned rest day - dental appt for Oldest Child took up morning.
    Thursday - 7.2 miles
    Friday - Stretching and mini conditioning session

Today was another good session to have in the bag - 20.2 miles in 3:17:04. Time on the road was the aim today, no worries about pace or speed, just get some time on the road. I went out just at the start of the 2nd half of the Ireland match - I knew the nerves would go before the end so got out and ran, kept myself up to date on the score with the RWC iphone app (which meant I frightened the bejeezus out of one poor woman just outside Beaumont Hospital when I saw that Wales had scored another try and I let out a "ah fcuk that" shout, very sorry :o) Pegged it home just at 10 miles to use the facilities and then back out to finish. Added a couple of my least favourite mini hilly roads onto the route as well - just to give myself the required ass kick for the morning. When I got home, I felt a wee bit woozy and light headed - emergency food consumption required, banana and choc milk hit the spot.

Quite happy with today. Leg still reminding me it's not 100% but it's ok. And I finally broke 1000 miles for the year this week, 1021.9 to be precise, so very chuffed with that. I've never done that before so it's a big thing for me. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel on the lsr. I'm with you on the preservation thing...just get to the start line intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good to see you again this morning - totally with you on preservation thing too :)

Good luck over next few weeks :cool:

Wow well done Rachel, you are doing so well. Congrats on passing the 1000 mile mark- very impressive indeed:)

So, what did I do this week?
    Sunday: 4.6 miles
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 6.1 miles
    Wednesday: Stretching, strength and core work.
    Thursday: 9.5 miles
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 17 miles in 2:49

Time on feet was goal of today, just like last week. It was tough today, really tough. From the first step out the door, I knew it was going to be a hard one. Initial goal was to get to 6 miles and see how I felt. At 5 miles, I almost went back home. Got to 6, then 7, and on I went. Eventually, around 10 miles, I finally felt half normal again. Between 10 and 17 were grand, no real problem at all. And because I'd been so slow for the first 10 miles, the rest were fine. I would have liked to get closer to 20 this morning but had to get back for mammy duties. And tbh, the 17 I got done while feeling like sh**e probably did me more good. 3 weeks and counting to the big day...

A strange week. Started off with middle child being violently sick in the middle of Sunday night/Monday morning. While I was cleaning up the puke (it's all glamour :rolleyes:) at 2 a.m., half of me was saying "ah poor child, hope she's ok" and the other half was saying "I'll kill the little rip if I get what she's got". Early onset taper madness alive and well and living in my house...
    Got up and out early on Tuesday morning because I was afraid I'd miss another day if she was off school again and that was 5.25 miles.
    Wednesday was a mental day and squeezed in 4 miles @ 8:37 pace because I thought I'd be late to collect smallest child from school.
    Thursday, sports massage and another 5 miles, slightly easier pace than the day before.
    This morning, 12.5 miles @ 9:40 pace, with the last two miles at sub 9:00 pace, just to see if I could try it. Feel okay now, leg as sore as it has been for the past while - I'll cope ;)
    Tomorrow will hopefully be another 5-6 and then it's taper time... Mileage ytd: 1086

Next week is already shaping up to be a bit mental. There's loads on and I've to start getting stuff ready for my party next Friday night, so the miles will be squeezed in wherever and whenever possible. Looking forward to heading off to New York now, but feeling quite apprehensive. Already obsessing about breakfasts and clothes and temperatures and getting the kids sorted for staying in their grandad's house. Head feeling severely befuddled already with all the preparations, but it's keeping the mind off the fact that I'm turning 40 in 10 days :eek:. So if you're over de nortsoide this week and you see a shortish redfaced woman with curly hair, running towards you muttering under her breath while typing reminders into her phone, that'll be me - please say hi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sounds like you're well ready for the NYC marathon.
    Word of warning, it'll be (very) cold on Staten Island before you start so throw-away layers are a must!
    It's a really great race, top class support and fantastic atmosphere, so remember to enjoy it :D

...and congrats on joining the F40 category. Only the best of us are allowed to join :cool:

5 miles in 50 mins, nice and easy. And now it's time for taper.... and the accompanying taper madness ;) Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Enjoy the taper madness...you're in good company on this forum!

5.2 miles in 48ish mins. Didn't want to go out because of the rain but, after a quick HTFU to myself, out I went. It was raining when I went out the door and lashing by the end of the road. I was soaked through in a minute. But that's ok, I said to myself, I can't get any wetter. Ha! Running up the Howth Road, a driver of the 31 bus decided to lash his bus through a very large puddle at speed.:eek: A tidal wave of water went up and over me, I was spitting out water and dirt while shouting obscenities at the driver. Honestly, if I get a dodgy tum from this, I'll sue the f**ker :mad: Anyway, got home and had a shower so feel much better now. And I'm glad I got my miles in...:)

Wednesday: dodgy tum + sniffles + sore leg + mental day = no running :(
    Today: girlies off school because of election so up and out at 6:45. 4.7 miles in 43:41. Last mile in around 8:50. One of those runs when you hit everything perfectly and the stars align and the right music is on and the goosebumps go up on the back of your neck because you've just remembered why you love running - glorious. I felt like I could keep going for ages - but unfortunately OH was standing at the door, tapping his watch because he had to go to work :P Ah well, back to reality. Off to buy enough food for somewhere between 50 and 100 people for my 40th tomorrow night. Woohoo, it's nearly party time...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

racheljev wrote: »
    Wednesday: dodgy tum + sniffles + sore leg + mental = I'm turning 40 :eek:

Have a great party Rach and sorry I can't be there... ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by racheljev viewpost.gif
    Wednesday: dodgy tum + sniffles + sore leg + mental = I'm turning 40 eek.gif
    Have a great party Rach and sorry I can't be there... ;)

Honestly Digger, I'm disappointed. A post with comments like "and the right music is on and the goosebumps go up on the back of your neck" and "I felt like I could keep going for ages", and you pick on the turning 40 bit?:eek: Not a double entendre in sight. Frankly, I'd expect a bit more from you...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

racheljev wrote: »
    Honestly Digger, I'm disappointed. A post with comments like "and the right music is on and the goosebumps go up on the back of your neck" and "I felt like I could keep going for ages", and you pick on the turning 40 bit?:eek: Not a double entendre in sight. Frankly, I'd expect a bit more from you...:D

He's clearly losing his wit and intelligence. That'll be you in 4 and a half years... ;)

Except you'll at least still have your good looks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have a great birthday. Life begins at....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Happy Birthday Rachel !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Happy birthday Rachel!

Enjoy the par-tay of the century tonight :D

Happy Birthday Rachel. Have a ball!

Thanks for the wishes folks, much appreciated. The big birthday is actually next Tuesday - I'm planning on a birthday week, not just a single day :D I'm hanging onto my 30's by the skin of my teeth... And the party was last night - no running yesterday, but dancing for 4 hours in high heels counts as cross training and calf stretching, right? ;) Had a great party, stone cold sober - body is a temple and all that jazz. Instead of pressies, I asked people to sponsor me for New York for Temple Street and raised 835 euros last night - chuffed with that. 8-10 miles hopefully tomorrow morning. 8 days and counting...

30 October: 9.1 miles @ 9:30 pace
    31 October: 3.44 miles @ 9:07 pace.
    Left the garmin at home, used stopwatch on phone and mapmyrun'd it when I got home - goin' oldskool ;) Ran by feel, honestly didn't think I was running at what could be my marathon pace, thought I was slower than that.... Watching DCM now, good luck to everybody!

• Advertisement

3.6 miles at 9:30 pace at 7am to celebrate turning 40 :) Off to carb load on birthday cake ;)

Advertisement