Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

3 miles in about 30 mins, nice and easy again this morning. No twinges again - left hamstring still tight but not a problem. Just discovered the Aware 10k is now the Aware 5 mile because of roadworks in the Park. Ah well, either way it'll be fine, because I'm doing the Hal Higdon 4 week recovery plan and he's a race at the end of it. The Aware one will fit the bill nicely. Another few miles in the morning and zero week will be done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Rach. Huge congrats again on NY. It sounded tough out there - makes the medal all the more sweeter I suspect. Loved the report. It made me a little sweaty eyed… But don't tell anyone because it'll ruin my heart-of-stone exterior ;)

Sunday: 5.3 miles, no mad rush, just a nice wander for a few miles on a Sunday morning. Lovely :)

Following HH marathon recovery plan.
    Monday:
    Plan: 30 mins cross training
    Actual: 30 mins brisk walk.

Tuesday:
    Plan: 3 mile run
    Actual: 3.1 mile run - took the pace up a teeny bit from last week's runs. Not up by very much though - up to about 9:30ish, nothing too fast.

Tomorrow should be 3x1mile marathon pace, so that'll be 3 x 11 min miles then (my actual pace at mile 20:eek:, at least I picked it up for the last few ;))

Plan: w/u, 3 x (1mile @ marathon pace + recovery), c/d
    Actual:
    1 mile warmup, 1 @ 8:43, 0.25 @ 9:10, 1@ 8:29, 0.25@ 9:20... and then the garmin died :mad:

It actually died in the middle of the 3rd interval mile, which was around 8:20 pace. Kept up the pace for a bit longer when I realised the garmin was gone - until I thought I'd completed the mile - and then trotted home. Intervals were much faster than my marathon pace and they shouldn't have been - must work on that. Legs felt great, still have a big red face though :rolleyes: Mapmyrun'd it when I got home, total distance was 5.6 miles in approx 50 mins.

Thursday:
    Plan: 3 miles. Actual 3.1 miles

Friday: Rest

Saturday:
    Plan: 45-75 mins run.
    Actual: 6.9 miles in 66 mins.
    Swapped Saturday and Sunday's run - Saturday is just easier for longer runs. Would have stretched this out to 75 mins but had to get home to let OH bring the boy to GAA match, (g'wan the mighty Vins (u-11):D). Nice run this morning, ran at comfortable pace. Didn't look at pace or miles done until I got home, just used the time setting so I knew when to go home. Really enjoyed that.:)

Edit: entered the Aware 5mile during the week. Would have done the 5k as well the previous week, but going to party on Friday 2nd Dec and think I might be a bit, ahem, delicate on the Saturday. So Aware 5 mile it is. Won't break 40mins for this one - aiming to do that in Raheny in January instead.... Crap, maybe I shouldn't have typed that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    Won't break 40mins for this one - aiming to do that in Raheny in January instead....
    Same goal here... fingers crossed!

Plan: 30 min tempo run.
    Actual: 34 min run - 10min warmup, 12 min @ 8:00 pace, 12 min cooldown.

Wasn't too sure about this one. Took the middle bit too fast again - thought it was supposed to be 5-10k pace. But just checked the plan and it should only be marathon pace. Ah well, it was a good enough session, no complaints for week 1 recovery anyway.

So mileage so far:
    wtd: 22.4
    mtd: 67.8
    ytd: 1180.7

21 November:
    Plan: 30-40 min crosstraining
    Actual: 42 mins walk + 20 mins bike

22 November:
    Plan: 4 mile run
    Actual: 4 mile run + 20 mins bike

23 November:
    Plan: 3x1mile @ 10k pace
    Actual: 5.2 miles as follows
    9:48 (w/u), 8:18, 0.2mile @ 9:30 pace, 8:03, 0.2mile @ 9:30 pace, 8:07, 0.8 mile @ 9:24 pace (c/d)
    Really happy with this session. Didn't want to do it - knackered, as usual! But once I got out and started moving, it came together nicely. I did cheat a little and run a route that I knew had nice downhills - but of course, that means uphills as well so it all balances out :)

Didn't take the bike out today - I'm trying to get used to the bike, it's been years since I cycled at all so I'm fierce nervous on the road. If I could get adult stabilisers, I would.:rolleyes: So on Monday and Tuesday, I went around the block, feeling the fear and doing it anyway! I'm never going to try a tri, my swimming is appalling but it'd be handy to use the bike for cross training and to give the legs a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're going great guns girl! No ill effects after NY? Recovery seems like it's well under control.

Pity you're not doing the Jingle Bells. I'm not doing Aware for the same reason you're not doing that one :D Hope it all goes OK for you anyway.

You're absolutely flying since NY Rach! :)

Have my eye on 40 mins in Raheny too... Also shouldnt say that out loud!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Um, you could go out tomorrow and probably run about 38...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:rolleyes: I hope you're joking?

Um, you could go out tomorrow and probably run about 38...

Ah let's not get too excited... More like 36..! Ha ;)

You're absolutely flying since NY Rach! :)

Only 40? Are you kidding me?? You've already broken your 5 mile pb twice in training, you'll be well into the 30s. You go girl :)

Emer, no illeffects so far from NY. Legs feel good, no issues. Knackered of course, all the time. I had an iron and b12 deficiency a while back so I'm due another round of blood tests soon - will see if the doc says its just cos I'm an auld one now ;)

Only 40? Are you kidding me?? You've already broken your 5 mile pb twice in training, you'll be well into the 30s. You go girl :)

Emer, no illeffects so far from NY. Legs feel good, no issues. Knackered of course, all the time. I had an iron and b12 deficiency a while back so I'm due another round of blood tests soon - will see if the doc says its just cos I'm an auld one now ;)

Less of the auld one chat. You're just getting into the good years now :D

Emer911 wrote: »
    Less of the auld one chat. You're just getting into the good years now :D

So that'll be a Horlicks as a post-run recovery drink then? :)

24 November
    Plan: 4 miles. Actual: 4 miles.

26 November
    Plan: 35 min tempo
    Actual: 36 min tempo, 4 miles.
    Warmed up for mile 1 (10:17), then got quicker for mile 2 (8:14) and even quicker for mile 3 (7:50). Cool down for mile 4 (9:30). Lovely run, really enjoyed it.

27 November
    Plan: 60-90 min run.
    Actual: 75ish min run.
    Stupid Garmin battery went again. Turned on mapmyrun on phone when I realised battery gone so adding it all up means 8.15 miles in 75ish mins. Not happy though, thought I did closer to 80 mins and bit miffed to realise it was 75. Stupid Garmin and stupid mapmyrun and stupid phone that I can't look at while I'm running.:mad: AND when I got home and realised I hadn't really done enough, I was too knackered from fighting the frickin' hurricane outside to go back out and do another 10 mins. Stupid wind - no matter which way I turned, it was in my face.:mad: Last 2ish miles were uphill and the wind was in my face the whole way. Stupid weather.:mad: AND I was freezing. Stupid deceptive sunny mornings, making me think it's alright to run in shorts and tshirt.:mad: Everything's annoying me today.

On the plus side, 27.5 miles for the week, 95.3 mtd, 1208.2 ytd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And breaaaattthhhhe. :)

Yep, cold one out there today. Wore a windbreaker and shorts for my run. Don't think I ever warmed up. Once it doesn't snow.

You're doing great training. What's up next?

Next up is the Aware 5mile but that's just a "see how it goes" run. Target 5 mile is the Raheny 5 in January. I've made a list of my race times and the targets for next year - life begins at 40 and all that jazzz!

RQ, You were the first person I thought of today when I heard about Gary Speed - awful news. As a ManU fan, I've always been taught to think the worst of Leeds players but he and, for some reason Gary McAllister, were always exceptions to the rule. (and of course I fancied him something rotten back in the early 90's ;)) Very sad, RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

He was still hot in his old age sure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

And breaaaattthhhhe. :)

Yep, cold one out there today. Wore a windbreaker and shorts for my run. Don't think I ever warmed up. Once it doesn't snow.

You're doing great training. What's up next?

I was saying the exact same thing to myself this morning...that I never actually warmed up at all during my run. Cold one for sure.

Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 5 miles

Wow, some weather out there today. First mile was ok, 9:35, then the rain got worse and the wind picked up as well. Had to stop twice because I couldn't see with the rain in my eyes and nearly ran into a lamppost, d'oh. But am I complaining? Heck no, I frickin' LOVED it.:D I love love love running in the rain. Only problem was I went faster than intended because the weather was so bad - I was fighting the wind for miles 2 & 3 (9:27 & 9:17). And then when the wind died down cos I turned a corner, I was still putting in the same effort - and so, miles 4 & 5 were 9:05 pace. Lovely run, really enjoyed the looks I was getting from the people wrapped up in rain jackets, trying to keep umbrellas up. I did make some concession to the weather though - capris and a long sleeved top ;)

Go you, nice pace in those conditions. I bet you got some funny, I mean admiring looks.

Plan: 3 x 1 mile @ 5k pace
    Actual: 5.6 @ 8:24 avg pace as follows:
    9:34 (w/u), 7:39, 0.2 @ 9:48, 7:30, 0.2 @ 10:05, 7:17, 1.2 @ 9:12 (c/d)

Absolutely delighted with this session. Had to go out at 6:15 a.m. because otherwise it wouldn't have been done. And because it was so early, I didn't think I'd be able for 5k pace. Instead, I got home with a big smile on my face after running my fastest mile ever :eek:. Some of it was downhill, so that's one reason for being faster than usual. But still, the last mile and a bit was uphill and I was still keeping a fast enough (for me) pace. Really happy with that, long may it continue :D

Plan: 3 x 1 mile @ 5k pace
    Actual: 5.6 @ 8:24 avg pace as follows:
    9:34 (w/u), 7:39, 0.2 @ 9:48, 7:30, 0.2 @ 10:05, 7:17, 1.2 @ 9:12 (c/d)

Absolutely delighted with this session. Had to go out at 6:15 a.m. because otherwise it wouldn't have been done. And because it was so early, I didn't think I'd be able for 5k pace. Instead, I got home with a big smile on my face after running my fastest mile ever :eek:. Some of it was downhill, so that's one reason for being faster than usual. But still, the last mile and a bit was uphill and I was still keeping a fast enough (for me) pace. Really happy with that, long may it continue :D

Wow, well done and in rubbish conditions. Nice way to start the day, I can't seem to get out of bed at all these mornings for a run.

Thursday 1st December
    Actual: 5.2 miles. No problems, nice easy mileage.

Friday - rest

Saturday
    Plan: 40 min tempo run
    Actual: 42 mins, 4.9 miles - mile 1 w/u (9:26), 3 miles at tempo pace (8:00), 0.9 mile c/d.
    Another good run, one more I'm happy with. At a party on Friday night but didn't overindulge. Wasn't in bed till 3 but still got up at 9:30 to run - jeez I'm a tiny bit obsessed.

Sunday
    Plan: 90 min run.
    Actual: 90 min run, 9.4 miles covered. Nothing to report, a nice run with bits of ups and downs to keep me moving. Very cold but the rain held off till I got home.

Just a tip over 30 miles for the week, very happy with it. Body seems to be fine after New York, all well so far - but as usual, I'm waiting to see what part of me will get injured because things are going well :rolleyes: Week 4 of the recovery plan next week, bringing me nicely to the Aware 5mile next Saturday. I don't have a time goal for this, will wait and see what happens on the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good going Rachel, you're running 3 miles @ 8 min/mile in training so I think you'll easily break 40 minutes next week!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good going Rachel, you're running 3 miles @ 8 min/mile in training so I think you'll easily break 40 minutes next week!!

+1. sub 40 should be a breeze! Best of luck with it Rachel.

menoscemo wrote: »

Would love to think I could do that, but it's not my goal. Next week is just for fun, maybe take a bit off the pb (42:04). Hopefully the sub-40 will happen in Raheny in January :) It'd be nice to start 2012 with a decent (for me) time :D

• Advertisement

Forgot to log my runs this week.
    Tuesday:
    Actual: 5 miles in 46:58 - cold and windy but grand.

Wednesday:
    Plan: 30 mins tempo
    Actual: 33 mins tempo - 3.73 miles as follows:
    9:58, 7:51, 0.43mile @ 7:37, 9:21, 0.3mile @ 8:52

Thursday:
    Plan: 3 mile run
    Actual: Hid under the covers while the wind and rain howled around the house.

Advertisement