Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just coming to the end of my NY recovery plan, this race fitted in very well with the HH plan. Ideally, it should have been tomorrow but I'm not splitting hairs. I've felt quite good after NY, legs have felt good and I've even managed a few tempo runs. Still, I didn;t have any real expectations for this morning. I thought I'd like to break my 5 mile time from the race series (42:04) but I honestly wasn't pushed either way. Aim was to just enjoy it.

And holy crap, it was freezing. My feet were total iceblocks, hands and face sore with the cold and breeze. There was a course inspection apparently, there was ice and frost all over and it wasn't thawing, but the race went ahead a bit late - just about 10:15. The announcer kept telling people to take it handy and watch their feet because of the conditions. It was hard to hear him above the chattering of teeth and general shivering.:) Anyway, off we went and mile 1 was 8:36. I wasn't too panicked at all, I had in my head to keep an avg pace of 8:20 because then I knew I'd break 42. Mile 2, similarly fine but with the bit of hill to sort us out a bit - 7:54. Mile 3, legs getting a bit heavy but still moving, another bit of hill and drag - 7:55. Mile 4, I'm tired, but I've 60% of the race under my belt now and I'm still ok - 7:58. By now, the avg pace is creeping closer and closer to 8:00. I can't quite believe it, is sub 40 a possibility? I tell myself even if I slow down to 10 min/mile pace, I'll still break my previous time. No pressure then. Avg pace now 7:59. Last half mile is getting hard, I'm pushing and pushing. I turn the last corner with a girl from Raheny - we consciously don't cut the corner. She says to me, sub40? I say, not sure. She goes and I try to follow. The wind was in my face for the last 200m and I look at my watch. Holy sh**, I might just do this. I try to peg it as fast as I can, even though I feel like throwing up. I cross the line at 39:47 on my watch, last mile 7:36. Yahoo!!!!:D

Absolutely delighted! I honestly honestly didn't think I had that in me this morning. It was my goal for January and the Raheny 5. My feet still haven't thawed out but I've a smile all over my face so I'm happy. Off to celebrate with a cup of coffee and any chocolate I can find. Happy days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats Rachel, great stuff! :)

Sunday:
    Finished off the marathon recovery plan with a nice slow one - 50 mins for 5 miles.

Monday:
    I've decided to stick with HH for now, and give the 8k programme a go. It's 7 weeks to the Raheny 5, and the programme is 8 weeks so I'm jumping into week 2. And that means 3 miles today - which has just been done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah fantastic run on Saturday, well done!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great time rachel well done.

• Advertisement

Plan: 35 min tempo
    Actual: 4.06 miles in 35:04 as follows:
    9:38 (w/u), 8:07, 7:47, 9:31 (c/d)

Jeez that's some day out there. Thought I was going to Mary Poppins it over a few houses at one point. The wind was in my face for the warmup mile and 1.5 of the 2 tempo miles. 2nd half of 2nd tempo mile and most of the cool down had wind sideways or behind me - 2nd half of 2nd tempo mile much faster than the first!

I'm starting to enjoy these tempo and pace runs now - maybe because they're still quite short ones, just 2 or 3 miles at a time. And I'm trying to fix the head as well - sometimes when the head sees 7:?? on the garmin, it thinks "whoa neddy" and slows the legs down. I need to stop doing that. 7:?? is nothing to be afraid of, it's to be embraced... And some day, in the distant future, I might even see 6:?? - eh not for a while though ;).

Plan: 7 x 400 @ mile pace
    Actual: 5.25 in 46:15 as follows:

1.35 mile w/u @ 9:18 avg
    1:44, 2:09,
    1:51, 2:00,
    1:45, 2:08,
    2:30 *, 2:09, (*didn't read watch correctly so did .35 mile instead of .25)
    1:47, 2:08,
    1:47. 2:01,
    1:47
    0.85 mile c/d @ 9:19 avg

A hard one. Wind made it very hard to hit the target for each 400. But I got close enough. A 7min mile (which is definitely about as fast as I could go) means my 400 speed should be 1:45. I was bang one for two and close-ish for the rest (with the exception of the 2nd one - slowed down to avoid dog and 4th one - I read the watch wrong, d'oh ) I almost gave up after the 4th one because my legs were tired and the wind was howling and there were dogs in the park who wanted to "play" with me. But I finished the session, yay me ;)

15 December
    Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 4.7 miles
    Had to go out at 6:30 a.m. for this one. Paths very slippy, nearly fell twice but kept going until tummy trouble hit. Had to leg it home and so, didn't complete the full 5 miles.

17 December
    Plan: 7 miles
    Actual: 7 miles in 67:37 mins
    Very cold and slippy again this morning. Had two bad skiddoos, twisted my back trying to keep upright. Not a morning for speed. Safety first today :) Tomorrow is supposed to be 4 miles with 2 @ 5mile pace but may end up just being a straightforward 4 - all depends on the paths, weather and how much I drink at the party I'm going to tonight...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great sessions there Rachel.

Sunday:
    Plan: 4 miles w/2 @ pace.
    Actual: Get up, sway a bit with slight champagne hangover, look at frost outside, shiver, get back into bed.

Monday:
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 5.1 miles
    Felt shockin' guilty about missing yesterday. So did 2 miles (9:19, 9:08), then 2 at pace-ish (8:20, 7:42) and another 1.1 mile sorta cooldown. Immediately felt less guilty and much happier at another 7:xx mile done. :)

• Advertisement

Plan: 30 min tempo.
    Actual: 31 min tempo (3.4 miles) as follows:
    9:56 w/u, 1.4 miles @ 7:58 avg pace, 10:00 c/d
    Not a bad session, legs still a teeny weeny bit tired from yesterday's unplanned pace miles, but no real problems. Had to get out early this morning - the boy has a carol service at 10am and town has to be hit for various last minute Christmas emergencies. So, run at 6:30 or don't run at all... Saw a good few people out running as well, obviously a few people with the same idea as myself - get it out of the way early :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

6.30 Rachel? Were you having a lie on?! ;)

Haha. Nice run though :)

Wednesday 21 Dec
    Plan: 5x400m @ mile pace
    Actual: 4x400m @ mile pace, 0.5 @ "I'm so tired, I'm going to puke" pace
    Warmup was 1.25 mile. 4 repeats varied between 1:44 and 1:50 (for 0.26 mile) with approx 1:50 in between. The last repeat was uphill and I was completely knackered so only did half. 0.9 mile cooldown.

Thursday 22 Dec
    Actual: 3 miles in 27:25.
    Left calf getting a bit achy again. Not too bad but want to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. Off for some ice and sticking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been very bad at reading logs lately. Whats up next for you Rach?

I've been very bad at reading logs lately. Whats up next for you Rach?

Raheny in January. Next biggie after that is possibly the Luxembourg Marathon in May - sister in law lives there and would put us all up. It's an evening one, starts at 6 p.m. and is apparently great craic. If we can get flights sorted, this might be my spring option.

Plan: rest or 3 miles
    Actual: 3 miles in 28 mins
    Had decided to use the rest part of today's plan. Until the kids, in Christmas excitement overload, decided to start beating the head off each other. So I took full use of OH being off work and legged it out for 3 nice miles. Much better now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

racheljev wrote: »
    Raheny in January. Next biggie after that is possibly the Luxembourg Marathon in May - sister in law lives there and would put us all up. It's an evening one, starts at 6 p.m. and is apparently great craic. If we can get flights sorted, this might be my spring option.

Rach, do you have to leave the country and come back in to cover the 26.2 miles? ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Rach, do you have to leave the country and come back in to cover the 26.2 miles? ;):D
    Nah, I'll just have to run up and down the main street a few times and twice around the airport ;)

Plan: 5 miles w/2 @ 5mile pace
    Actual: 5.1 miles as follows:
    1.7 miles @ 9:20 pace, 7:33, 7:29, 1.4 miles @ 9:20 pace.

Very pleased with this one. The pace miles were slightly too fast - should have been around 7:40. But it was a flat enough route, no cheaty downhills to speed up the pace. And the first mile was into the wind. A good way to start Christmas Eve. Off now to clean the house and cook the turkey while eating my body weight in chocolate and Christmas pudding - Happy Christmas all :D

Plan:4 miles
    Actual: 4 miles in just under 36 mins.

Up at mad o'clock with Santa excitement so went out at 8:30 for a few pre breakfast miles. Nobody on the streets at all. Ran at what felt like an easy pace, very surprised to see it was 8:?? miles. Happy Christmas everyone, hope Santa was good to you and yours. :)

• Advertisement

Actual: 3.25 miles
    Very windy out there this morning - and not just because of all the Christmas pudding (br-rumpumpum). First mile ok, mile 2 into the wind, mile 3 wind at my back. Nice run, followed by coffee and trifle for breakfast.... Lurve Christmas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Actual: 3.25 miles
    Very windy out there this morning - and not just because of all the Christmas pudding (br-rumpumpum). First mile ok, mile 2 into the wind, mile 3 wind at my back. Nice run, followed by coffee and trifle for breakfast.... Lurve Christmas :-)
    I had coffee and christmas cake for mine.... thought it was just me ;)

Plan: 40 min tempo run
    Actual: 42:04, 4.9 miles as follows:
    9:24, 8:09, 8:03, 8:04, 9:24
    Everything felt a bit heavy at the start of this, too much rich food and junk over the last few days. Once I got moving though, I felt ok. I checked the tempo pace on McMillan, using the Aware 5 mile time and it gave me a pace of 8:02 - 8:28 (I think). Pace slipped into 7:?? a few times but got it back to 8ish. Another nice session to have in the bag. Off to the zoo now to burn off some of the kids excess energy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Plan: 40 min tempo run
    Actual: 42:04, 4.9 miles as follows:
    9:24, 8:09, 8:03, 8:04, 9:24
    Everything felt a bit heavy at the start of this, too much rich food and junk over the last few days. Once I got moving though, I felt ok. I checked the tempo pace on McMillan, using the Aware 5 mile time and it gave me a pace of 8:02 - 8:28 (I think). Pace slipped into 7:?? a few times but got it back to 8ish. Another nice session to have in the bag. Off to the zoo now to burn off some of the kids excess energy :)

Yeah for 3 miles it is fine for you to take 8:02-8:28 as your tempo pace. This 'tempo pace' is just slower than your 10k equivalent pace so you should never try to hold it for more than 25 minutes in training.
    For longer tempos (>25 minutes at the faster pace), look more to what Mcmillan calls 'steady state' runs. They are to be done at 10 mile-HM equivalent pace, that's 8:21-:8:28 for you I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Nules10 wrote: »
    I had coffee and christmas cake for mine.... thought it was just me ;)

Christmas cake for breakfast for me too this morning :D

Plan: 8x400m @ mile pace
    Actual: 5.7 miles with 8 x (400m @ mile pace, 320m @ recovery) as follows:
    1.09 mile w/u,
    1:56, 2:09, 1:50, 2:02, 1:48, 2:15, 1:50, 2:09,
    1:45, 2:02, 1:46, 2:04, 1:45, 2:03, 1:47, 2:03
    1 mile c/d

This was a tough one today. I wasn't looking forward to this. I'm not mad on 400's (or any type of hundreds actually ;)) Added to this, OH is in work today so if I wanted to get it done, it had to be early. So 6:50 a.m. and I'm out of the house. There's a green quite close to my house and the path around it is just about 400m so if I was prepared to run around it 16 times, I'd get the session done. Ran up and down the road for a bit to warm up and then started the sessions. Found it very hard to get the pace up enough for the first few (the very first 400 was closer to 420 so that's why the time is longer). And the wind kept hitting me halfway around the green. I was going to give up after 4 but kept going. Strangely enough the 2nd 4 were much better - maybe I was stretched out a bit better and more fluid. Anyway, session done by well before 8 a.m. - feel very satisfied/smug about that :D

I've signed up for the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's day in the Phoenix Park. No time expectation, just want to see if the 5mile training program is helping. The goal is the Raheny 5 so this will be just a "see what happens" run.

Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 5 miles in 48ish mins

Didn't look at the watch at all for this. I knew the loop was just about 5 miles so I turned on the garmin but didn't look at it. Ran very very easy and just took my time, enjoying the rain. Will probably do a few miles tomorrow before OH goes to work and that will be my last 2011 run. Today was 11 days in a row, happy happy :)

CIMP.gif?CXNID=2000002.0NXC
    Plan: Rest or 3 miles
    Actual: 3 miles in 29ish mins.
    Grand and easy, no big deal with this one. 12 days on the trot as well, nice :)

And that's my last run for 2011 - I'm taking tomorrow off as a rest day for the 5k race on Sunday. It's time for an (early) end of year assessment.

A lot of decent stuff done in 2011 - lots of runs, lots of races, 1328.8 miles covered. I'm pretty happy with the running year - and I broke 40 mins for 5 miles a few weeks ago so that's a pb to stick in my pocket at the end of the year. I hit 40 and didn't disintegrate with the horror. OH and kids and family are happy and healthy, so far, so good. However there was an awful lot of crappy sh**ty stuff in real life as well. I've posted before about my Nana's passing so no need to do it again. But it coloured everything that followed. I'm a good crier at the best of times, but this year I achieved Olympic qualification standard in tears shed. To finish the New York marathon and not be able to ring her straight after, like I did after Barcelona, broke my heart another teeny tiny bit. So on balance, and without too much snottin' and cryin', I'm very happy to say "buh-bye and get lost" to 2011.

The big highlight was of course the New York marathon. Barcelona in March was brilliant and I loved it, but New York was something else. The atmosphere, the crowds, the emotion - everything about it still gives me shivers. The picture below was taken just about the 40k mark in Central Park and my face says it all...
    marathon5.jpg

So what's on the horizon for 2012? I'll start early with the 5k on New Year's day. A pb would be nice - I've only ever done one 5k race, in March 2010, 26:35, so I should (??) break that. But I'm not too bothered tbh, I'll wait and see.

The Raheny 5 mile is next at the end of January. The Luxembourg marathon is in May and I'll have another go at sub4. If I don't do it in Lux, hopefully sub4 will be Dublin in October - DCM, the rematch ;)

A sub50 min 10k, sub85min 10 mile and a half marathon closer to 1:55 would be the main other goals for the year. But again, it's a wait and see. I thought that everything had to be done before I was 40, but - and it's the oldest cliche in the book - life begins... etc etc.

I'm going to keep this log going for another while, I still like the title and it is nice to have a read back every now and again. Thanks for all the support I've been given here, it's great and really appreciated. So Happy New Year one and all, may 2012 kick 2011's butt big style and may all your runs by pb's. See ya next year! :D

Nice start to the New Year, this one. Got there ridiculously early so had loads of time for a warmup, cooldown, warmup again. I felt distinctly intimidated by the amount of very serious looking club runner-y people. Met RQ during one of my many warmups and had a whine about how there were no fun runner types like me. Saw Meno just before the start and he says "23 Rachel". Ha, says I, not a hope. Sub 25 was my 5k goal for 2012 and that would do me today.

Got off to a decent start, a few seconds after the gun. I seemed to hit a decent pace quite quickly, I had 7:30 avg pace on the garmin as I rounded the first corner. Mile 1 7:27. Mile 2 7:38, the wind on Furze Road caught me on the 2nd lap, found it quite hard around then. Mile 3 7:34. I was hanging on at this stage but found enough breath to shout at Meno "look at the clock!" in amazement as I crossed the line in 23:25 (by my watch) I reckon the gun time will be 23:3?

Absolutely delighted with that. My Aware 5 mile time, in McMillan, gave me a 23:59 5k time which I didn't think I had in me this morning. But I did, and 30 extra seconds as well. Happy days. Lovely to start 2012 with a pb - long may it continue! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think the clock was 23:32, but you can take your watch time. Well done, you made it look ridiculously easy, chatting on both laps. You have definitely another 30 seconds in there at the minute. Remember the aware race you are basing predictions on was a very tough course. You'll smash that time in Raheny. Well done again.

Advertisement