Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think the clock was 23:32, but you can take your watch time. Well done, you made it look ridiculously easy, chatting on both laps.

Haha, I think the "chatting" on the 1st lap consisted of eyes raced to heaven and mouthing "f***ing hell" as I went past!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on a fantastic PB. Love the marathon photo you posted!!

2 January
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3.2 miles
    Nice and easy, miles done in just under 30 mins. Just shaking the legs out after Sunday's race.

3 January
    Plan: 45 min tempo run
    Actual: 5.26 miles in 46 mins
    Warmup mile 9:50, then 3.33 miles @ 8:10avg pace, and 0.94mile cooldown @ 9:36 pace.
    Out before 7 today and for rest of week until kids go back to school. Wind caused trouble with the run this morning - found it hard to keep tempo pace in the middle of the run because wind in my face, almost blown backwards at one point. But let's face it, it'll be windy and rainy for a while until the Raheny 5 (and probably on the day of the race as well) so that's no excuse - HTFU and all that jazz :D Got it done, kept within the pace according to McMillan so happy out :) 400's tomorrow - I don't like them at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wow, tempo run 2 days after a race and intervals the day after?

Take it easy now. The general rule of thumb is to allow a day recovery (easy runs are fine) per mile raced. You should also take a recovery day between hard sessions (like tempo's intervals and long runs).

I'm following HH's 5 mile (or 8k) plan and it has 9x400's in for tomorrow. Should I not do them? or maybe not do 9?
    (Please, please, please say I shouldn't do them, I won't feel as guilty if you say it :D)

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    I'm following HH's 5 mile (or 8k) plan and it has 9x400's in for tomorrow. Should I not do them? or maybe not do 9?
    (Please, please, please say I shouldn't do them, I won't feel as guilty if you say it :D)

Sorry, you should do them alright but not 3 days after a race and a day after a tempo run.
    Personally I'd leave it another day at least.

Just looking at the HH plans, I am surprised to see he programmes intervals the day after a tempo run. I Think the problem is that our deifinition of 'tempo run' is different to his- he sees them as ony hitting the tempo pace for a few minutes. Our definition of tempo run is more like what he calls 'pace runs'.

I'll swap days - I'll do Thursday's 6 Wednesday and Wednesday's 400's Thursday. At least I get to delay the pain for another day...

I was wondering about his tempo runs. He seems to emphasise that it's not necessarily a hard session - only hitting pace for a few mins in the middle and the aim is to feel refreshed as opposed to knackered at the end. But I think I prefer using it as an almost-pace run, I find I'm getting less afraid of holding pace. It definitely helped me in Sunday's race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the 5k Rachel. Brilliant running out of you recently!

If I manage to stay away from the orange roses after this evening's 10 miles, I'll pop them in the post for you! Just don't count on it - I said I didn't particularly like them, I didn't say I wouldn't eat them! :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    If I manage to stay away from the orange roses after this evening's 10 miles, I'll pop them in the post for you! Just don't count on it - I said I didn't particularly like them, I didn't say I wouldn't eat them! :rolleyes::D

There is such an inevitibility about that quote that the orange Roses are currently unwrapping themslves in readiness..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done on the 5k Rachel, you passed me on the first loop but I saw you too late, you looked tres comfortable, 5k's are supposed to hurt! ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Well done on the 5k Rachel, you passed me on the first loop but I saw you too late, you looked tres comfortable, 5k's are supposed to hurt! ;)
    Jeez I wish I'd felt as comfortable as I looked. I was hanging on for the finish from the start of the 2nd lap! Saw your kiddies singing, very cute!

Jeez I wish I'd felt as comfortable as I looked. I was hanging on for the finish from the start of the 2nd lap! Saw your kiddies singing, very cute!

You see, you shouldn't have even noticed this :pac:

Grand so, will make sure I operate tunnel vision next time out. No eye contact, no looking around. Eyes on the prize and all that. Looking around at cutiepie children and shouting at people just before the finish line is for losers. Sorry, won't happen again etc etc ;)

4 December
    Plan: 9x400s
    Actual: 6.08 miles in 57 mins
    Swapped Weds 400s with Thurs 6 miles. Just as well, mad winds and gusts out there. Had to go out at 6a.m. instead of 7 because OH had to get to car NCT early. Was very happy I wasn't doing 400s into that wind.

5 December
    Actual: Stay in bed because mad gusts of wind scaring me.
    Swapped Thurs 400s with Fri rest day. Again, I know a good dose of HTFU was in order but the wind was bonkers - it kept me awake most of the night and I thought it'd mess up the 400s. So I cried off - what a wuss.

6 December
    Actual: 6.5 miles with 1 mile w/u, 1 mile c/d & 9 x (400 @ mile pace, 400 @ recovery pace)
    Yay, I finally did the bloody session! I was honestly dreading it. Having put it off from Wednesday, it had to be done today or I could just give up. Had a very bad night's sleep - there's a laneway very close to our house and last night, a group of lads decided to have a party in it. Party didn't finish till 2 a.m. I know, typical northside :rolleyes: Anyway, when the alarm went off, I really didn't want to go out. So gave myself a Bishop Brennan kick and a very serious HTFU and SIU, and out the door I went.
    Mile 1 w/u 10:15
    1:41, 2:36, 1:45, 2:37, 1:44, 2:41, 1:39, 2:41, 1:39, 2:36,
    1:42, 2:43, 1:44, 2:37, 1:45, 2:31, 1:44, 2:33
    Mile c/d 9:46

Very happy with those times, considering how tired and crappy I felt. Both 1:45s were just over 400 (0.26 mile to be precise). And I didn't go over 1:45 this session, like last time. Glad it's done, but holy crap, I hated it :P 5 miles w/3 @ pace tomorrow. Woohoo. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great session this morning Rachel. I will be steering well clear of sessions like that for the next three months. Yuck. Plenty of time before Berlin for that malark! What mile time did you use for your planned pace? I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could figure it out but I can't do sums good...:rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    What mile time did you use for your planned pace? I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could figure it out but I can't do sums good...:rolleyes:

I used 7:00/mile when I started these a few weeks back - 1:45 is a nice roundish figure to aim for :) I should probably now aim for closer to 1:40, which would be 6:40 pace. But I almost puked this morning after the last one, so maybe I'll stick to 7:00 for now ;)

Plan: 5 mile w/3 @ pace
    Actual: 5 miles in 42:28 as follows:
    9:48, 7:54, 7:44, 7:39, 9:21

Another tough one out of the way. Very tired again this morning, told myself I'd do a loop I know is 4.5 miles and leave it at that. First pace mile and a half was a bit windy. So the first bit was way tougher than the other two. By the time I got to the third pace mile, I felt like I was flying. On the cooldown I knew if I took a right turn instead of going straight on, I'd make the 5 miles so that's what I did. I'm happy I didn't wuss out of this one. That's 3 decent session this week - a tempo, decent 400s and a pace run. 8 tomorrow - hopefully very easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Some great sessions there Rachel, keep up the good work.

Well done Rachel, some great sessions there.

Plan: 8 miles (3/1)
    Actual: 8.1 miles in 1:18:06

HH wanted 8 miles done as a 3/1 run, by which he means 3/4 of the run done easy with the final 1/4 done at a faster pace. He doesn't specify how much faster, just that your body will dictate the pace. So miles 1 to 6 were done at 10:00 avg pace, mile 7 was 8:37 and mile 8 was 8:33. Only problem was keeping pace to 10 min/mile, legs wanted to move faster and were very happy when pace picked up on 7 & 8. A nice way to end a tough week.

Just over 34 miles this week. Very happy with sessions over last two weeks, but really looking forward to next week's mini step back. 3 weeks left in this program till Raheny, then into a marathon program for Luxembourg - which I still haven't definitely decided on :o Note to self - get flights sorted and enter marathon asap....

• Advertisement

9 January
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3 miles in 28:30
    Nothing to report, nice and straightforward

10 January
    Plan: 35 min tempo run
    Actual: 4.06 miles in 35:14 as follows:
    9:34, 8:03, 8:01, 9:05
    Wind in my face for 2nd tempo mile which made it feel harder, even though it was a teeny tiny bit quicker. Think I have to dig out the hrm to give myself a better idea of how hard I'm pushing during sessions. 400s tomorrow - only 6 because it's a stepback week :)

WEll done Rachel. Great running.

No running Wednesday or Thursday. Right leg was a bit sore after Tuesday's run, on the inside just above the ankle, so I'd decided to take it easy for the next few days. And then somebody made a very cruel comment to me, I really hope unintentionally. But it put me in a bit of a dark place so I kept my head down for Wed and Thurs and tried to put it out of my mind. Felt a bit better this morning so went out for a few miles. Leg still a bit niggly so I didn't do my 400s. Instead I did 3.64 miles at 9:15 avg pace, and then did 7x120m @ 6:20 avg pace. Recovery and cooldown brought it up to 5.3 miles in total. Will decide tomorrow about pace miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You're been putting in great training Rach.

Hope the leg is ok, mind it :) - plenty of ice & voltorol. Hopefully it's just a niggle that will diappear as quickly as it appeared.

As for the comment, try not let it get in on you. Sometimes people just insensitive and don't realise it, and sometimes people are just knobheads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

And then somebody made a very cruel comment to me, I really hope unintentionally.

Remember compliments you receive, forget the insults! ;)

Plan: 6 miles w/3 @ 5mile pace
    Actual: 6 miles in 51:22 as follows:
    1.75 miles @ 9:20 pace,
    7:50, 7:44, 7:54,
    1.25 miles @ 9:20 pace

Found the pace miles hard this morning. Hadn't definitely decided to do them until I hit the lap button on the garmin and actually started running faster:rolleyes: Even while I was doing them, I kept saying to myself - I'll only do another half mile. 3rd one was very frickin' hard. A good bit of it was uphill and it was tough keeping the pace from creeping up into the 8:00's. When I finished the last one, I had to stop and catch my breath for a minute, completely knackered. At least it's done, that's all that can be said. Leg/ankle still bit niggly so icing it now and will voltarol it later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's savage running Rachel. Dunno how you manage that in the mornings. You're set for a great run in Raheny.

Nothing like a good run to clear the head, hope you're okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You seem to be in great form recently Rachel. Take care of the leg and forget those a$$hole comments... some people just aren't worth it <assume the zen pose...ohmmmmm>

• Advertisement

Plan: 6 miles
    Actual: 6.1 miles in 55:47, avg pace 9:09

Much faster than intended, this one. Ran a loop that I know is close enough to 6 miles, give or take. So started the watch and didn't look at it, judged my pace by how comfortable I felt. Got to my turnaround point and looked at watch for first time - avg pace 8:55 - argh! Tried to slow down but the legs weren't having much of that slow lark. Definitely, definitely getting battery for hrm this week and using that on runs, can't be getting into the habit of doing slow runs too fast again.

24.5 miles this week, not as many as planned. Lost Wed's reps and Thurs run, made up a bit with Friday. It was supposed to be a stepback week anyway, hopefully next week will be ok.

Advertisement