Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well under what you had hoped, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks v much! Almost 2 mins faster than last year's Great Ireland run which is same course, very happy with myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

racheljev wrote: »
    Thanks v much! Almost 2 mins faster than last year's Great Ireland run which is same course, very happy with myself :)

You should put the feet up now with some chocolate ;)

as much as it niggles at my mind, no way I would have been able for Waterford today after the chest infection all week, went out for 6 miles and couldn't go any faster than 8:47 when my target was about 1:27-28. Rest tomorrow and LSR during the week. Barca is fling up on us now like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Almost 2 mins faster than last year's Great Ireland run which is same course, very happy with myself :)

Great run - especially given the horrible weather!
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to get these races done isn't it? They can really prove to be great confidence boosters, so much more valuable from a normal long run. Well done.

• Advertisement

Decided to give myself the morning off yesterday, with the intention of going for a run in the afternoon. Got hit by the warning signs of a migraine about 1p.m. Took tablets which turned it from migraine into just bad headache, but wasn't able for run then. So last week was VERY BAD MILEAGE.

Anyway this week started with 4 miles this morning in 38:57, nice steady pace. 7 weeks of training left for Barcelona at this stage. Not feeling massively confident about a great time, but would be happy enough with a 4:1? That's what I'll aim for. The next few weeks have to have big mileage and long runs, no matter what. Definitely time to HTFU and SIU I think....

4.6 miles in 43:43. Did my mini-hill workout this morning, 5 little up-and-downs as quick as possible. Conpletely knackered because smallest girl was up during night with cramps and bad dreams about "piders", possibly caused by show in school called "Mini-beasts"... She did say the bad dreams weren't about ladybirds because she likes them... Anyway when the alarm went off I couldn't move, but basically bullied myself out of the bed. Went out with the intention of a quick 2.5 miles and did a bit more, so happy now.

6.8 miles in 64 mins. Should have been 8 but dodgy tummy struck around mile 4 and I did well to get home in time - NOT pleasant...:eek: Really glad that's over! Will try 6ish tomorrow to make up for today.

4.6 miles in 43:17. Didn't go out yesterday - calves and shins felt awful, really tight and stiff. I am literally terrified that something bad is going to happen again before Barcelona, like the stress fracture before DCM, so I took yesterday off and did some serious tennis ball work and stretches. They felt ok this morning so headed out nice and slowly. Picked the pace up over miles 3 & 4, only a little bit but still felt ok. More tennis ball rubs and stretches today, and hopefully 18 miles tomorrow... please...

18.16 miles in 2:58:09. Very happy with that. Had to go out early to fit in the miles - Saturday in our house is split between GAA for oldest and gymnastics for middle child. Normally youngest goes with OH and stands at side of pitch so I can run, but she's not well today so I had to be home in time. So... I left the house at 5:50 :eek: Did the same as last time - broke the run down into half hour stints, had a jelly baby every 20 mins up till 2 hours. The last half hour was very tough because my stomach was playing up again and I honestly didn't think I'd get home in time. It's happened a few times to me now, mainly on long runs - something that might need to be checked, maybe the jelly babies aren't working? Anyway got home before 9 a.m. with a very smug smile on my face. Very happy it's done and I feel ok (except for the dodgy tum). Off to put my feet up and mind my baba for a while, just hope I don't get what she's got!

• Advertisement

7 miles in 65:32. A bit knackered after yesterday's early start but the legs felt ok, just a bit stiff. Headed out with the intention of 5 but kept going for 7. Speeded up a wee bit after first mile of 9:41 - following miles were all between 9:15 and 9:19, last mile 9:22. Also did a route that meant I had a good bit of uphill, and of course a bit of downhill ;) A good one this morning, and a total of 45.16 miles for the week.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great going Rachel. You're going to run a cracker in Barcelona. How are the legs? Any trouble with them?

Great going Rachel. You're going to run a cracker in Barcelona. How are the legs? Any trouble with them?

Thanks RQ. Calves still tight after most runs, so doing extra stretches and tennis ball rubs through the day to loosen them up. Tempted to go for a sports massage but the massages hurt too frickin much! Honestly, I'm constantly nervous now, in case something happens over the next few weeks - it's getting too close now for something to go wrong again! Just once I get to the start line in one piece, and I get around in 4:1? I'll be happy :)

Thanks RQ. Calves still tight after most runs, so doing extra stretches and tennis ball rubs through the day to loosen them up. Tempted to go for a sports massage but the massages hurt too frickin much! Honestly, I'm constantly nervous now, in case something happens over the next few weeks - it's getting too close now for something to go wrong again! Just once I get to the start line in one piece, and I get around in 4:1? I'll be happy :)

Sports massage doesn't technically have to hurt to be beneficial! :pac:

Mondays for the next few weeks are going to be cross training days, so walked for 4.1 brisk miles this morning. It's strange walking, when you want to run, but I swung my arms and opened up the lungs! I'm also doing a Zumba class tonight (not a frickin clue what it is) for an hour so that will be the second part of my cross stuff.

Found this on youtube, it's the song my log title is from - enjoy the '80s fashions!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw2o_Go4QWI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

It's a great song alright, I heard it on the radio yesterday, and the first thing I thought of was your log :pac:

I realise that makes me sound like some kind of wierdo :o. I'm not, honestly!!

(but I do admit that I did turn a little scary during the 3 week taper last October).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

18.16 miles in 2:58:09. Very happy with that. Had to go out early to fit in the miles - Saturday in our house is split between GAA for oldest and gymnastics for middle child. Normally youngest goes with OH and stands at side of pitch so I can run, but she's not well today so I had to be home in time. So... I left the house at 5:50 :eek: Did the same as last time - broke the run down into half hour stints, had a jelly baby every 20 mins up till 2 hours. The last half hour was very tough because my stomach was playing up again and I honestly didn't think I'd get home in time. It's happened a few times to me now, mainly on long runs - something that might need to be checked, maybe the jelly babies aren't working? Anyway got home before 9 a.m. with a very smug smile on my face. Very happy it's done and I feel ok (except for the dodgy tum). Off to put my feet up and mind my baba for a while, just hope I don't get what she's got!

Thats brill Rachel, congrats. In shock at the time you got out bed to do it - very impressed!
    I used to get stomach problems on any run I did but especially the long runs. A doc friend of mine recommended fibre supplements to combat it and I have to say its working a treat - no more hassles.

4.6 miles in 44 mins. Very tired this morning after last night's Zumba class - great craic, basically dancing for an hour with no real break, great cardio workout! But it finished just after 9 and I was back up at 5:55 to run, so I'm knackered... Anyway, 4.6 ok miles. Calves still stiff, mainly right one, so will book a massage for next week I think, after the Raheny 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

after the Raheny 5.

Didn't know you were running it. See you there so!!

17 miles in 2:47:03 (15.1 in 2:25:14, 1.9 in 21:49). Jeez that was very frickin tough. Because of the Raheny 5 mile, I didn't want to do lsr on Saturday. But I didn't want to miss it, so I decided to do it this morning after school run. That meant I had my porridge and I reckoned it'd be a fairly good indicator of where I am. Also, because the tum has been playing up on long runs, I thought I'd give the jelly babies a break to see if they were causing the problems. So just water for the long run. Ran out past Raheny, then back in and did some of the 5 mile route and ran up Watermill road so it won't spook me on Sunday - it's actually grand, it's prob just because it's at the end of the race that it feels tougher than it should. Headed all along St. Annes Park, back towards Clontarf, up and down roads. Felt fine for a good while, then bam. 12 miles hit me like a bloody hammer. 12 to 15 were as tough as I've had in a long time. At about 12.5 miles I ran up one road that has a steady uphill for about .5 mile and I was absolutely f**ked when I got to the top. At 15.1 miles I hit the reset button on the garmin and just jog/walked the last 1.9 miles. No tummy problems at all but no energy either. :( I'm sort of happy I've another 17 under my belt but I'm gutted it's not 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done rachel, you really are getting the miles in.

Regarding you finding it tough after mile 12.5, I'd put it down to having only water. Have you tried out any energy drinks before? Do you know what will be supplied during the marathon? If you don't like energy drinks, have you tried glucose fruit sweets? Personally, I find them great. Jellies can sometimes make me feel a bit ill but glucose sweets do the trick.

Keep up the great work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fair play to ya, no way I could do a 17 miler on just water! :eek:

And it wasn't even very much water, a piddling 300ml bottle! Ruby, thanks for that, will try the glucose tablets on the next run. I'm not mad on energy drinks, I find they make me thirstier and leave a taste in my mouth. I really should try gels but bit nervous because of the dodgy tum. The oul' belly has been a bit suspect since picking up parasite in India in '98 and baba no. 3 born by c-section in '06 - both events combined to screw my digestive system up completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on your log Rachel. How impressive are you???! :D
    I need to go lie down now.

4.1 miles in 38:28. Went out with intention of 3 slow recovery miles, but legs felt good so let them tell me how fast and far to go. Bit faster than intended but still feel okay. Will do another few miles tomorrow and take Saturday off in prep for Sunday's 5 in Raheny. Almost 30 miles so far this week and just over 149 for the month, chuffed with that!

Not the best prep for this, as usual. Felt like sh** Friday and Saturday so didn't run at all. And middle child not well yesterday so up during the night watching to make sure she was ok. Got up this morning to discover strange pain on outside of right leg when I walked. Went up to Raheny early enough to collect my number and leg felt really dodgy, like there was no real power in it - very dodgy. Collected number and jogged slowly back to the car. Got back home and organised dinner before heading back out again at 2 p.m. Because of the bad preparation, I had no real expectation at all for this. Met Meno and RK before the start. Started with RK but her blue cap soon disappeared into the distance... The first half mile was awful, very congested. As usual I started too far back so spent the first bit passing people out. Once we got out onto the main road I felt good and looked at the watch, 8:50 average pace. Not bad, that would bring me in at last year's 44:10. Then, I just started to get a bit faster each time. First mile 8:38. 2nd 8:20, 3rd 8:18. Felt great. 4th mile 8:17 and then Watermill road hit. Got up as quick as I could but felt fairly shagged by the time I was heading around the little park. Trying desperately not to check watch because I was afraid it was bad. Crossed the line in 42:03 - final mile of 8:26. Couldn't be happier with the way it went. Saw RK, Meno, RQ, Cinquetti, Claralara and a few other people I was too embarrassed to introduce myself to, and I reckon I was the slowest of the lot of them. But I didn't care. 2 full minutes faster than last year and faster than the short Adidas 5 mile laster year. So, it seems the trick for me to have a good race is to have a sh** few days beforehand... 1 mile extra for warm up and cool down, so 6 miles today, 35.8 for the week. Happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good running! I was one of the guys at the end, in the half-marathon top.

RayCun wrote: »
    Good running! I was one of the guys at the end, in the half-marathon top.

I thought that was you Ray! I was just too morto to say eh hello are you Raycun? Next time I'll say hello, honest! Good running yourself, great time.

Well done again. You're going great. You'll breeze Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel, great time!

Advertisement