Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »
    fixed that for you Shaz :D

Ah thanks Emer - still blaming you though too :D

Rachel, take it handy on the runs for the moment as the energy levels come back up. The heat does take alot out of you so don't under estimate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Plan: 12 x 60secs fast
    Actual: 5 miles in 44 mins
    10 mins warmup, 12 x (60sec fast, 60 sec recovery), 10 mins cooldown.

If I was knackered after Tuesday's fast miles, jeez I'm completely shattered after today's run :eek: Headed to a little park close to me, warmup mile and a bit on the way. Had a bit of a stretch and started the fast bits. Avg pace of the 60secs bursts was 6:48 - a few of them were in the 6:30's but two were 7:00. Took the recovery minute very easy, walked for the first 15 secs and then jogged the rest. Told myself I'd do 6 and then see how I felt. Kept saying, just one more. Got them all done and then cooldown mile or so back home. Very tired now - smallest girl was up during the night and that doesn't help. Rest, hydration and sticking today and tomorrow, and then hopefully a decent lsr on Saturday.

Plan: 15 miles, steady.
    Actual: 15 miles - 10 miles @ 9:38 avg pace, 5 miles @ 9:18 pace

Hurray, finally a decent lsr :) Headed out early as usual, and I'd planned to do loops close to home so that if tummy trouble struck, I'd be close to the loo. After 3 miles though, I felt ok so instead of turning left to head back home and complete the loop, I turned right and moved on. Very uneventful running, praise be. I had glucose tablets with me and took one every half hour or so. At around 10 miles I had an ominous feeling and I was in town, so I headed into the Jervis centre to use the facilities (note to self: don't use Jervis again as the toilets are far from the door and the length of time it takes to reach them gives everyone in the centre a chance to look askance at how ridiculous I looked in my shorts and running top :o). When I left the centre, I knew I could handle another 5 miles so I picked up the pace a teeny tiny bit. Got home feeling like I could still do another couple of miles, with a smile on my face.

So, not a bad week - still 4 miles to do tomorrow but the week is nearly done. Despite feeling like a big pile of doodoo for most of the week, I got 2 decent sessions, a mid length run and an lsr all done. Longest run since last year done, and about time too. Still not 100% but coping. 7 weeks today to Lux. Happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Rachel, I wouldn't worry about the running attire in town. If you had gone to the ilac centre, you'd be considered over-dressed ;)

Sunday: 3.2 easy miles, nothing to report. 35.2 miles for the week.

Tuesday:
    Plan: 8 miles, steady
    Actual: 8 miles @ 9:14 avg pace

Oh wind and rain, welcome back my old friends, how I missed you :) Kids off school for Easter break so this week and next week's runs will be done at ridiculous a.m. Up and out at 6:20 for this one. As I've mentioned before, I'm still not sure of the various paces this program requires, so I took "steady" as somewhere faster than easy and slower than tempo. The plan was to do the first mile or so slow, and then speed up as each mile went by - and that's pretty much exactly what I did - 9:40, 9:28, 9:24, 9:24, 9:19, 8:58, 8:51, 8:47. The wind was in my face from the middle of mile 3 until mile 6 but it was ok, and the rain was lovely. An allround nice run, nothing too difficult. Should maybe have had a slightly lower avg pace for a steady run, but not bad for first thing in the morning.

Right heel is a bit sore, feels slightly bruised so wearing a cushioned insert in my regular shoes to give it a bit of a break. I haven't noticed it while running but it was sore on Saturday after the long run and a bit sore this morning - another part of my falling-apart body to keep an eye on:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

racheljev wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before, I'm still not sure of the various paces this program requires, so I took "steady" as somewhere faster than easy and slower than tempo.

What plan are you following?

Yeah steady is definitely slower than a long tempo Run and faster than easy. For me steady is in and around Goal marathon pace (maybe a touch slower).

It's a Run Republic one for sub 4 hours. It was supposed to be a 16 week program but I only had 12, so I hopped in 4 weeks late. It's actually a grand prgram - 5 days a week (because when I tried 6 last year with P&D I wasn't ready for it): 1 fastish run, 1 med/long run, 1 speedwork, lsr and then easy miles. Judging by what you said and my miles this morning, I think I had "steady" right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's a Run Republic one for sub 4 hours. It was supposed to be a 16 week program but I only had 12, so I hopped in 4 weeks late. It's actually a grand prgram - 5 days a week (because when I tried 6 last year with P&D I wasn't ready for it): 1 fastish run, 1 med/long run, 1 speedwork, lsr and then easy miles. Judging by what you said and my miles this morning, I think I had "steady" right.

Well I'd say that since there is no specific PMP miles in the programme, there'd be no harm in doing the 'steady' runs at PMP.

I did one of my midweek runs at PMP in the weeks leading up to Blackpool and found that they really helped bring me on as the pace felt easier every time I did them.

Plan: 7 miles, slow
    Actual: 7 miles @ 9:49 avg pace.

Up again at some ridiculous hour to brave the wind. And Jeez that was some wind. I was blown into a wall twice and managed to take most of the skin off both my knuckles. And it didn't matter which way I turned, the stupid wind was in my face. In a way, this helped to keep the pace down because there was no way I was fighting the wind too much. Pace was consistently around 9:50, until miles 6 & 7 when it came down a tiny bit. 200s tomorrow - oh, the joy :rolleyes:

Plan: 12 x 200s
    Actual: 5 miles - 1 mile warmup, (0.13 mile fast, 0.12 recovery) x 12, 1 mile cooldown.

Note to self: next time doing 200s, 400s or any type of 00s, change the garmin from miles to km before starting...
    My head was too zonked at 6:30 a.m. to change the watch. I knew 400m was 0.25 mile so I reckoned 0.13 fast, 0.12 recovery would be ok. For quite a few of the repeats though, I ran 0.14 fast and then 0.11 recovery. And my head is too tired and melted to make sense of the garmin trace. Anyway, the avg mile pace for 6 repeats was between 6:28 & 6:40, the rest were 6:45 to 6:55 - one rogue 7:03 but I was legging it around a corner so slowed down a tad. I got bored running around the same circle so ran up and down some of the roads around.

I think it was a good session. I was certainly running hard enough to need the recovery sections and maybe the recovery was a tad short. And next time, I'll definitely change the garmin. And I got all 12 done before 7:30 a.m. which is a bit bizarre. Rest day tomorrow - actually not really a rest day, organising party for smallest girl who will be 6 and who has invited 24 5-6 yr olds to come to our house for bouncy castle fun... Holy crap it had better not rain...

• Advertisement

Plan: 17 miles slow.
    Actual: 17 miles in 2:45:47, avg pace 9:45

Not in the best form this morning for this. Oldest boy and middle girl very sick all Thursday night, lots of vomit and horribleness. This meant no sleep at all on Thursday night - followed by a party for 20 5-6 yr olds on Friday. Absolutely knackered this morning. I headed out the door with a face like thunder and a mood to match. I'd initally planned to do 3-4 mile loops near to home, but I knew that would make it too easy to come home if I felt crap. So I thought I'd run out for 8ish miles and then turn around and come back. As it happened, I ran to Howth from my house, via Raheny. I did my usual - break the run down into percents. 10% done, 20% done. I got to Howth Dart station at just under 9 miles, had a quick stretch and headed back towards home. Just kept ticking off the miles and minutes for the next while. Closer to home, I took a little short cut which cut just under a mile off the final tally - didn't need to do 18 today, 17 enough. When I got home, I was fairly knackered but I probably could have done another little bit so I'm happy. A big bonus was the fact that the stomach didn't play up at all today so no need for a toilet stop at 10 miles, just kept going. Very happy with the morning's work. :)

Well done Rach, glad that the tummy is behaving itself. Lsr's are tough enough without any extra trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're playing a blinder recently Rach. Great running!
    Hope the kids are OK after the tummy bug. I had it last week and it was NOT Fun! Only catching up on the logs now.:rolleyes:

Stupid bug. WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS QUITE A LOT OF SELF-INDULGENT WHINING AND MOANING. DON'T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED.

Felt ok after Saturday's lsr, very happy to get a decent one done. Stomach felt a teeny bit queasy but put it down to dehydration from not enough water on run. Oh how wrong I was. Didn't sleep most of the night because of cramps and stomach ache. I'd set the alarm for 8 a.m. to do 4 miles, but at 8 a.m. I was talking to God on the big white telephone - again. I continued to chat for quite a while on Easter Sunday - no running. Sunday night / monday morning youngest girl was then struck with the frickin' thing so spent most of the night rubbing her back / holding her hand / wiping up vomit / putting on the washing machine. Monday was Nana's 1st anniversary so that was always going to be a sh***y day. No food, quite a bit of snotting and crying, no running. Tuesday, alarm went off at 6:20 a.m. and I could not move from the bed - very little sleep and only 2 slices of toast over the space of 3 days meant, again, no running.

This morning, alarm went off at 6:20 again. Dragged myself from the bed and got out the door. There was no way I was doing anything other than slow miles this morning. Eventually got 6.26 done in just over an hour, avg pace 9:46. Legs felt, and still feel, like blocks of concrete.

Can't believe I've been struck again with this stupid bug. I had plans for another decent week of sessions but that was smacked on the head. Any miles I get in this week will be slow. Bit down in the dumps now - just over 5 weeks to Luxembourg and my training has been crap. 2 bugs, 1 bad cold, dodgy leg tendon-y thing - not happy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

poor Rachel, I feel so bad for you.
    I would say it couldn't last much longer but it seems to be a long-lasting tummy bug. You still have lots of time left before Luxembourg and you may need to revise your plan.
    Just think how good you will feel when you are one hundred per cent better and toeing the line and all this crap will be a distant memory:), fingers crossed.

PS I was up last night with my youngest guy and the middle guy has it now, it's a madly contagious bug, I'm disinfecting everything hourly....

PPS I thought of you the other day when my friend who is headed for Paris marathon told me she dreamt she forgot to pack her trainers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I read your post and felt like crying for you! Take care of yourself and get recovered from that nasty bug... I feel your pain.

Thanks for the support gals, appreciate it.

Hmm, a strange run, this one. Felt like crap all day yesterday and didn't sleep great again last night. Alarm went off at 6:20, dragged my sorry a$$ out of bed and hit the road. Mile 1 9:57. I followed a route I normally do, but the wrong way around, so the uphill bit was tougher and longer. But it felt ok, strange. Mile 2 9:29. Took a detour off to the right to get another teeny tiny uphill, legs moving well, breath flowing nicely. Hmm, what's going on here - Mile 3 9:26.

Stopped looking at watch and ran at what I felt to be a quick enough pace - not too fast but definitely not as slow as yesterday. Nearly had a heart attack when I heard watch beep and it said Mile 4 8:52. A smallish downhill followed and brought Mile 5 8:32. Still felt ok: legs ok, tummy ok, breathing ok, so sped up another little bit. Flat road, no incline at all - Mile 6 8:06. Did another 0.75 mile @ 8:44 pace to cool down. Total done: an unintended tempo of 6.75 miles in 60:55, avg pace 9:02.

Really really bizarre, it's like as if yesterday's shi**y run and the previous few days horribleness hadn't happened. If I couldn't see the garmin link, I'd think I dreamt it. Very happy with my miles but still a bit confused how two days can be so completely different...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Amazing isnt it. What it does show you Rachel is that you have a great base fitness and a bout of illness or a few missed runs wont do you much harm in the long run.

Well done on that run Rach, great going after feeling so awful. Hopefully all is better in your house again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Rachel hope all is good in your house. Running is funny like that some days it just falls apart other days it all comes together especially on the days we least expect it to. You are doing great

• Advertisement

Ok, so what was today's plan? An lsr of some shape or form, something in double figures, the higher the better :D Ideally, I wanted 3 hours on the road or 18 miles, whichever came first.

Headed out early, as per bloody usual - on the road by 7:15. I had an almost 6 mile loop planned so that if I needed to come home, I could. Did the first loop, got close to home but didn't need to go back so headed off on loop number 2. Instead of completing the loop, I ran on and out towards the coast. Got to 12 miles just before Sutton so stopped and stretched and then headed back home. I felt fairly ok throughout - the pace was ok (around 9:30 avg) and legs and tum felt ok. I kept ticking off the percentages again.

At 15 miles my tum lurched quite badly but luckily there was a toilet in the garage I was just about to reach. Quick pitstop and a water refuel and on I went. I took a clif shot blok every 3 miles or so with a bit of water and it seemed to work well. At 16.5 miles I had the choice of going straight and finishing at just under 18, or going right - which meant up an incline and finishing at 18.5. I went right, yay me :) Got home in 2:56:13, 18.5 miles, avg pace 9:32. Apart from the first mile which was 9:44, the rest were 9:26 - 9:36.

Not a bad run. Not the best ever but good considering the past few weeks - that said, since the first dose of the bug I've gotten a 15, 17 & 18 miler done. Happy out :)

Well done Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done on getting the 18.5 done. A great boost after the last few runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brill, great to hear you got a good run under the belt and no detours to Jervis St ;)

When's Lux?...too lazy to google it, sorry :rolleyes:

shazkea wrote: »
    When's Lux?...too lazy to google it, sorry :rolleyes:

It's 5 weeks today, 19 May. Think it starts at 7pm, course closes at 1am, should be finished by then ;)

Legs quite tired after yesterday so today's slow miles were indeed slow miles ;) 3.1 miles @ 10:05 avg pace. Wanted to speed up at the end but didn't, kept going slow slow sloooow.

34.6 miles for the week - not great. Must. Do. Better.

Legs quite tired after yesterday so today's slow miles were indeed slow miles ;) 3.1 miles @ 10:05 avg pace. Wanted to speed up at the end but didn't, kept going slow slow sloooow.

34.6 miles for the week - not great. Must. Do. Better.

Ah don't be so hard on yourself, you had a rough week.
    What's the goal for Lux?

jcsmum wrote: »
    What's the goal for Lux?

In an ideal world, with a perfect training program behind me, sub 4. Realistically, somewhere around 4:10-4:15. It's a night marathon and I run in the mornings. Also, it's quite an up and down course, with the last 10k being a fairly steady climb. Here's the altitude profile. I know for the serious climbers it's not tough, but it bloody is for me ;) !

Plan: 10 miles, steady
    Actual: 10 miles in 85:51, 8:35 avg pace

Wow, can't believe that one! Broke my 10 mile pb (Race Series '11 10 mile) by 1:44 :eek:

Intended to try PMP of around 9 min/miles. route was up to the local park, around the park 10 or 11 times and back home. Mile 1 9:02, bang on. Then it just got a bit faster each time. There were a load of dogs and owners in the park today so I kept having to dodge them, which upset my "run around and around 10 times" plan. Up one bit, down the next. I was concentrating so hard on avoiding the dogs that I wasn't paying attention to my watch. Miles 2,3,4 8:29-8:39. The wind was fairly bad as well and I thought it was slowing me down. It was, but only by a small bit - Miles 5,6,7 8:41-8:43. At that point I realized I could do a 10 mile pb if I kept the pace up - Mile 8 8:36, Mile 9 8:25. Last mile home, just pegged it 8:08. Hit stop at 10 miles and did a little happy dance when I came in the door.

Very happy with that one. It was a lot faster than intended, but there's only one more steady session in the program so it's not as if I'll be lashing out loads more PMP miles to wear me out. I intend to enjoy my slooooow miles tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

Well done Rachel, lovely pace there. Congrats on the PB!

Advertisement