Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great run there Rachel! Delighted it's back on track and going well for you after that pretty unpelasant wee spell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Plan: 6 miles, slow
    Actual: 7 miles @ 9:47 avg pace

Thicko here didn't check the plan before I went out. Had it in my head that I had to do 7, so I did 7. Took it very easy; whenever I felt like I was speeding up, I slooooowed down. Left thigh is a teeny bit on the sore side, feels like a bit of a strain. Didn't affect my running but it was niggly enough that I noticed it. May not do fartlek session tomorrow if it still feels achy. Anyway, got home after doing my slow 7 to see that the plan said 6. d'oh! Ah well, no harm in an extra slow mile :)

Plan: 20 miles
    Actual: 20 miles in 3:15:30, avg pace 9:46

Wow, that was a tough one. Didn't run on Thursday, thigh still achy so took the precaution of getting it checked out with the athletic therapist. She gave it a good bashing and got some knots out as well - oh fun :rolleyes:. Anyway took Thurs as unscheduled rest and Friday as scheduled. And on to today.

Out early as per usual, 7:30 on the road. Initially planned to do loops in case of toilet troubles. Got to my turnaround point at 4 miles for the first loop and said fiddle it, out to Sutton I go. Got to the Marine Hotel at Sutton Cross at 9 miles, went to the loo and headed back in. And the wind I hadn't noticed at my back on the way out was now in my face the whole frickin' way back in. It made it a lot tougher than I wanted.

Caught up with a nice man just after 10 miles and we had a bit of a chat. He spent the best part of a mile or so singing the praises of Raheny Shamrocks and how I should join up, it'd be great, "sure you're only 40, you've loads of running ahead of you, we'll sort you out" :) Helped distract me from the breeze for a while so that was good. Kept plodding in from the coast. Turned up into Clontarf and did a loop around Vernon Ave to eat up the miles and then headed up Sybil hill Road into Killester. At 17 miles I felt like crap. I knew if I wanted to make the 20, I had to go up the Malahide Road and I was so tired, it felt like bloody Everest. Managed to keep going and eventually fell in the door, 20 miles done.

Looking at my pace, it was actually fairly consistent, even with the breeze on the way back. The slowest mile was the one up the Malahide Road and that was 10:00. Every other mile was 9:40ish. Long story short, it was a tough one but another good one to have in the bag. Off to overdose on chocolate milk and bananas - I KNOW how to enjoy myself...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great stuff Rach, nice to have the 20 miler under the belt now. Think of the wind adding a nice challenge so it will feel much easier come race day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Fair play to you rachel, you're doing great.

• Advertisement

Didn't think I'd get out this morning - OH in Galway with oldest boy for GAA match and no one to mind the other two. But my sister came up for a visit and I was waiting at the door in my gear - "I'll be 30 mins, honest!" And I was, just about - 3.25 miles in 30:11. Legs a bit stiff this morning, particularly the left thigh. Something to keep an eye on over the next week or so. 40.25 miles done this week, slightly better.

Plan for this week is to try to keep the miles up - will do mid/long run on Wednesday instead of Saturday because I've the Samsung night run on Sunday. Would love a decent time, something under 50 would be fab, but 10k is not the goal at this stage. Just doing it to get a feel for running in the evening, looking forward to it - sort of ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done rachel. Things seem to be picking up for you now.... you are doing great. nice one on the 20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Always nice to get the 20 milers done. Good going in tough conditions. Can you send your sister over my way, no running yesterday or today, hubby away golfing.
    Need.....to.....run..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

racheljev wrote: »
    Didn't think I'd get out this morning - OH in Galway with oldest boy for GAA match and no one to mind the other two. But my sister came up for a visit and I was waiting at the door in my gear - "I'll be 30 mins, honest!" And I was, just about - 3.25 miles in 30:11. Legs a bit stiff this morning, particularly the left thigh. Something to keep an eye on over the next week or so. 40.25 miles done this week, slightly better.

Plan for this week is to try to keep the miles up - will do mid/long run on Wednesday instead of Saturday because I've the Samsung night run on Sunday. Would love a decent time, something under 50 would be fab, but 10k is not the goal at this stage. Just doing it to get a feel for running in the evening, looking forward to it - sort of ;)

Yeay! I'm doing this too, so might arrange to meet up before hand? No PB plans for me though (sub 50? Suits you!:p)

Plan: 6 miles w/4 fast
    Actual: 5 miles w/3 fastish.

A crappy crappy run. Saturday's 20 miles are obviously still in my legs and head because this morning's run was over before it started. Head in a bad place today and legs hadn't a chance once the head started. First mile was ok, 9:34. 2nd mile it all started to fall apart. Tried to get close to supposed 10k pace - 7:51 (yeah right), but anything faster than 8:10 was torture. Kept at it for a while but just couldn't do it - mile 2: 8:21. Mile 3 not much better, had to stop and stretch a couple of times - 8:19. Mile 4 got slightly better, helped by the fact that I ran downhill for half of it - 7:53. Headed home then because I was totally peed off at myself - mile 5: 9:39. All in all, a horrible run. Left thigh still sore. Off to find something on which to take out my bad mood.

• Advertisement

Aww shucks Rachel. We all have bad ones. Put it behind you, have a good nights rest and try again tomorrow (or take a rest day and try again the day after? :D)

Plan: 12 miles
    Actual: 13.2 miles in 2:06:02

Better than yesterday, praise be :rolleyes:. I knew yesterday was just a shi**y day so put it to the back of my mind and tried to enjoy today's run.

The plan for this week had 7 miles for today, but if I want to do the Samsung 10k on Sunday, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do a very long run on Saturday - so a med/long run today. Decided before I went out I'd do about 12. Felt ok for most of the miles - depending on whether the wind was with me or against me, the avg pace went from low 9:20s to high 9:30/40. And wow, that's some wind. And rain. And hailstones. I'm a bit bruised and battered by the weather but at least the miles are done. Thigh held up ok, I can still feel it but it's definitely achy rather than sore. Appt booked with athletic therapist tomorrow for another quick rubdown, hopefully it'll be ok for Sunday. A bit happier now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good on you for getting out in this weather...I'm heading to the gym this eve :D

Signed up for this a while ago for the simple reason it was a night run - Luxembourg marathon starts at 7 p.m. so I wanted to see if I could handle running in the evening when I normally run early morning. Dunshaughlin 10k last year was my first evening race and I hated it! Because it was so close to the end of my marathon program, I didn't hold out much hope for a decent time - a pb would be nice (last 10k was 52:44, Dun Laoire 2011) and if I got close to sub 50, it would be a bonus.

Headed into town around 6:30 last night. Got soaked heading for the bus and that was how things continued. Cold and wet for the whole evening. When I got to Trinity, I huddled under a bit of shelter with loads of other hardy folk. Then we got hooshed out of there because it was the baggage point, curses! Headed over to Nassau Street and watched the watch tick slooooowly down to 8:30. Nassau Street was cold, wet and windy and there was no shelter to be had. By the time the warmup lads came along, the only sound was teeth chattering and the odd moan as the wind whipped down the street again. And then it was almost time. We all got into the right wave (or at least some of us did :rolleyes:) and we slow walked down Nassau St to Trinity. A brisk walk over the line and finally, we got running. I knew, to get close to 50, I'd need to be going 8:00 ish pace. Last night, that wasn't going to happen. I was too cold and my thigh had been sore all week (so sore, in fact, that I hadn't run since Wednesday). Mile 1 8:19. Mile 2 came in slightly better - 8:13. But mile 3 went out again, 8:21 - that part on the quays where it was up and down with sharp turns was dreadfully slow. Got a shout out from RayCun at the Point, thanks Ray :)

Over the Samuel Beckett bridge was very cool, and would have been even better if the shaggin' wind hadn't been swirling around like a bloody dervish. Onto the southside and the buildings seemed to give a bit of shelter - mile 4 8:03. And then I started to feel really crap. I had toast and tea at 5:30 and it was obviously too late, as it threatened to make an appearance around this time. Slowed down a bit until the nausea passed but that made mile 5 my slowest - 8:23. As I watched the garmin and realised I'd only another mile to go, I tried to speed back up as much as possible - mile 6 8:00. I knew then we were nearly home, so just tried to leg it - last 0.22 done at 7:00 pace.

So, 6.22 miles in 50:51 (chip time). On a better night, I might have gotten closer to 50 or even sub 50, but combination of the weather before and during the race, and the too-late toast and tea meant I had to be happy with an almost 2 min improvement on my previous 10k time - I'll take that :)

So lessons learned from the night run:
    1. Yes, I can run at night, and fairly quickly (for me) as well
    2. I should manage to break 50 for 10k soon - either Dunshaughlin in June or Dun Laoire later on.
    3. I should not leave my (already wet) rain jacket in the portaloo and then forget which loo it was in.
    4. I should not eat tea and toast 3 hours before the race.
    Job done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel, super time in awful conditions

Great running Rachel. It was a stinker out there last night, but that doesn't seem to have affected you that much! Congrats on the PB!
    Here's hoping Lux will be a little kinder, weather wise ;)

Great running under very difficult conditions rachel. Well done on the PB, you go girl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on the PB Rach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome to have shaved 2 min off your time in such conditions! Congrats!! :)

Plan: 9 miles, steady pace
    Actual: 9 miles @ 8:49 avg pace.

Another rainy day run. Honestly, if it's sunny in Luxembourg I won't have a clue how to handle it! Soaking wet before I even got out of the garden.
    Anyway, steady pace run today. So somewhere around PMP, 9 min/miles. I wanted to go a tiny bit faster, and hold it as long as possible. And that was it. Each mile, bar the first and last, were between 8:43 & 8:51. First mile was 9:19 warmup, last mile was 8:23 because I was pegging it home. A grand run, bit of downhill, bit of uphill - and I managed to keep the pace steady on the up. Happy out.

1st May so 18 days to Luxembourg :eek: In other news, I'm off to put up the Christmas tree because there is no frickin' way that it's summertime out there ;)

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    In other news, I'm off to put up the Christmas tree because there is no frickin' way that it's summertime out there ;)

Love it! You're right though. It does feel more like November than May! :(

2 May: no run. Older girl sick during night and all day yesterday, off school, no run.

3 May
    Plan: 6x800s fast
    Actual: 5 miles w/3 fartlek

Set the alarm for early this morning, as older girl still sick and I knew she'd be off school again. 2nd night in a row with virtually no sleep - trying to bring down a temp of 104.1 at 3 a.m. sort of screws up my sleep patterns :rolleyes: Anyway, I knew I wouldn't be able for 800s, and if I had a bad session I'd be gutted, so I thought fartlek was the way to go. HTFU goes a long way but common sense told me that trying to do 800s at 6:30 a.m after 2 nights of very little sleep would not help me in 2 weeks time in Lux. Warmup mile of 9:44 and off I went. I counted lampposts, trees, stop signs, any type of landmark and ran for 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever, and then slowed down. It varied throughout the 3 miles. For quite a lot of it I hit 6:45 pace for the fast bits so happy with that. Over the 3 miles I ran 12 fast bits. Cooldown mile of 9:30 and home. 5 miles in 44:21, avg pace 8:52 (fartlek miles avg pace 8:20). Happy with that, decent enough session :)

Plan: 19-20 mile lsr
    Actual: 18.2 miles @ 9:40 pace

So, didn't hit the 20 for my last lsr before Luxembourg. Knackered for the last few days - older girl has been very sick since Wednesday, 2 doctors visit required and a letter for Temple St just in case she didn't get better yesterday. Anyway, it's all excuses excuses, but I honestly didn't think I had 20 miles in my legs this morning. I headed out to Sutton and Howth, as I've done for the last couple of long runs. Felt ok on the way out, but very tired. Got as far as Sutton and almost to Howth. Quick pit stop in the Marine in Sutton and back home. Instead of music this morning, I listened to an audiobook - Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking. Very funny, and a bit of a change to help pass the time. Each mile was a steady pace - no faster than 9:35, no slower than 9:47. Eventually got back to within a mile of my house at just past 17 miles, so decided to head home and take the 18 rather than go on and have a crappy last couple of miles.
    18.2 miles in 2:55:54

Bit disappointed I didn't get a second 20 under my belt, but I have a 17, 18.2, 18.5 and 20 so that will have to do. 2 weeks to go so it's taper time. I don't feel like I deserve the taper because I don't feel like I've done the program justice - 2 stomach bugs, 1 cold, a sciatic issue, dodgy leg tendon and several sick children causing sleep loss have made the last few months difficult. I've done just about 300 miles in the 10 weeks since the program started, broke my 10 mile pb in training and broke my 10k time last week. But still.... shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Anyway enough with the navel gazing, taper time, yahoo. All hail taper madness :D

Ah Rachel I think you are being a but hard on yourself. Throughout all the sickness over the last while you still went out and did the required sessions. I think you have done brilliantly. You managed to go out today and knock out an 18miler after the week you have had. It will stand to you in lux. Now I hope you do taper madness better than jcsmum she was very calm and sane during hers make sure you do something mental and give us a laugh ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ah Rachel I think you are being a but hard on yourself. Throughout all the sickness over the last while you still went out and did the required sessions. I think you have done brilliantly. You managed to go out today and knock out an 18miler after the week you have had. It will stand to you in lux.

+1 to all of this. You have put in the training, you've gotten 2 PBs, your here in one piece. You are ready for this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Ah Rachel I think you are being a but hard on yourself. Throughout all the sickness over the last while you still went out and did the required sessions. I think you have done brilliantly. You managed to go out today and knock out an 18miler after the week you have had. It will stand to you in lux. Now I hope you do taper madness better than jcsmum she was very calm and sane during hers make sure you do something mental and give us a laugh ;)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    +1 to all of this. You have put in the training, you've gotten 2 PBs, your here in one piece. You are ready for this!!!!

+1 on the +1:D
    I am so impressed with your dedication and early mornings in spite of sleepless nights!
    Marathons aren't only just about the miles you put in they are also very much about discipline and strong will.
    Enjoy your well deserved taper and hopefully the kids are on the mend and you can get some sleep too

Now I hope you do taper madness better than jcsmum she was very calm and sane during hers make sure you do something mental and give us a laugh ;)

Will do my best C, helped no doubt by the fact that we're all going to Luxembourg for the weekend and I have to pack enough clothes for 5 of us in bags small enough not to annoy Ryanair cabin staff - yahoo :rolleyes: It'll be something to keep the head occupied... or perhaps to knock me over the edge into full blown madness - not just the taper kind :)

Today:
    Plan: 5 miles, easy
    Actual: 5 miles @ 9:50 avg pace.

Legs quite stiff and tired this morning. Found it difficult to get going. Made sure to add in some of my least favourite inclines as well. 37.2 miles for the week, not the best, nothing to be done now - it's taper baby! :D

Plan: 5 miles - 1 easy, 3 fast, 1 easy
    Actual: 8.1k @ 5:20 avg pace

What's this I hear you say? Has she gone over the to the dark (metric) side? Just for the next 2 weeks - Luxembourg is marked in kms rather than miles, so I thought I'd better switch the Garmin early and get a feel for running in kms.

So, warmup of 1.5k @ 6:04 avg pace. Then 5k fast of 5:04, 5:00, 4:56, 4:57, 5:02. And then cooldown of 1.6k @ 6:09 avg. Happy enough with those kms - they're close enough to 8:00/mile for first thing in the morning. Head a bit melted with kms rather than miles though. Have to check McMillan again for km paces, should have switched over earlier... aw crap :rolleyes:

Yea, switching over is a real head wrecker so you're probably doing the right thing getting used to the km paces before the big day.
    One smart cookie ;)

Enjoy the taper (madness) :D

• Advertisement

how is the madness coming along rachel and how are the nerves holding up?

Advertisement