Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4:24 in the sun for Rachel. Well done missus, 23 weeks to DCM. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Looking forward to hearing all about it Rachel! Need a congratulations package from NZ?? Just say the word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Chip time 4:24:55. 4 mins faster than NY, 4 mins slower than Barca. Got through 10km in 57:50 but knew from then sub4 was well gone. Heat and sun crazy, 21degrees at 7pm, 18 at 9:30, humidity v high. Disappointed with time but honestly couldn't have given more last night. Full report when I get home, off to bury myself in macaroons and cremant for the next day or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel, I remember hating the 'sun' we got in Limerick so can't image running in lux heat.
    Can't wait to read your report. Enjoy yourself now, you've earned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Well done Rachel. Can't wait to contrast and compare with my Chicago experience ;). Stick with the DCM for a guaranteed non-hot non-humid experience (hope I'm not jinxing it now!:eek:)

Looking forward to the race report. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Great time in those temps. I always admire people who head off to a marathon where the chances are that the weather won't play ball.
    Well done on a great time, enjoy the few days off with the family and you'll get your Sub 4 in Dublin where temps probably won't be a problem!:D

Right, pull up a chair and get a cuppa, we'll be a while :D

We headed off on Friday morning, bright and early, at 5:30 a.m. We had to fly to Charleroi and then bus it to Luxembourg. Arrived about 2 p.m. and it was nice running weather - about 15 degrees, mild, a bit of rain in the air - that was all about to change. Friday was spent getting the kids sorted, bit of grub and lots of laughs and chats. It was the first time in a while that OH and all his sisters were together so everyone was in great form.

Saturday started warm - 18 degrees already by 9 a.m. Humidity was high as well. Sun was shining and everyone was loving it, except me of course. The day seemed to drag and drag - it took a long time to get to 7 p.m. Eventually got to the start area before 5 p.m. and it was boiling hot. We were all trying to recover from the jampacked bus to the expo with no a/c and it was just getting hotter. Had a drink of water to try and cool down, and left my supporters around 6ish. Every minute seemed like ten. Left it as long as possible to get into the start pen because it was so frickin' hot. 7 p.m. came and off we went.

My aim was sub4, which meant 5:35/km avg pace. For the first 10k, I wasn't far off. I got through it in 57:50. But the heat and sun was just killing me. Also, the course felt really tough. It was constantly up and down. There were very few flat parts where I could just keep a steady pace. Looking at my splits and elevation, the ups and downs weren't much but they were continuous. There were also a lot of turns and corners, so it felt as if I was constantly trying to speed up and slow down. After 10-12k I knew that sub4 wasn't going to happen and that really hurt. From then on, every km was a slog. It was very disheartening to know so early that my goal was gone, but I had to keep going. I got through halfway in 2:05:51, my goal at this point was to try and finish ahead of the 4:30 pacers. (I did think of following the 4:00 pacers at the start and kept them in sight for about 1.5 kms but I think they went out too fast - they might have been trying to get some time in the bank for later but I think they burned off a lot of people in the heat, apparently there weren't a lot of people with them at the finish.)

The course was fairly congested, lots of people started and kept together. When it split between the half and the full, it changed. 1600 people did the marathon, compared to 12000 starting, so it got a bit lonely out there. There were a good few teams for the team run. And of course they were much fresher than the marathon runners. Any time someone passed me, there was a disappointed "Oh no there's another one" thought, followed swiftly by a "Ah they're only on the team run" happy thought when I saw the team run note on their back. Still, it's hard seeing them all go by.

Looking at the splits again, it seems like I kept getting bursts of energy and trying to get moving - my average pace keeps going up a bit and then down a bit, I was really trying not to give up! As well as that, the clif shot bloks, which were grand on the training runs, completely sickened me on Saturday. I was trying really hard to keep them down because I knew I needed something. I didn't stop to be sick until close to 35k, but there was a hell of a lot of retching and stitches from early on, God help anyone who was behind me for that fun :o

My supporters were brilliant, I saw them a good few times and it kept me going to know that they were out there. They told me later that they just missed me at 35k and, to be honest, it's just as well they weren't there. If I'd seem them at that point, I might have thrown in the towel completely. Anyway I kept going. The last 5k was fairly crap. It was a bit cooler at that point because there had been a bit of rain but it was still 17-18 degrees and mad humid and heavy. It was also the least populated bit of the course, nobody around from 37 till 41k. Kept my eye on the watch to try and get in under 4:30, I thought I would make it but my head couldn't calculate times anymore. When I finally hit the 42k sign, I tried so hard to pick up the pace. I wanted to finish at least as fast as I initially intended. My gang were just inside the door and they were roaring their heads off. I sprinted as fast as I could and got over the line in 4:24:55. The announcer called my name and of course, then the tears started. Met up with my gang and got out of there as quick as I could.

I was 4 mins slower than Barca and 4 mins faster than New York. I was 82nd out of 160 women, and 18th out of 34 F40s. Overall 704 out of 1280 runners. So I was pretty much middle of the pack all round. I was, and still am, very disappointed with how the whole thing went. I honestly thought my training should have given me much closer to a sub4 time. The heat and humidity took a huge amount out of me and after 10k I felt as if I'd already run 30 - not good. I know people run faster in hotter, but I'm not one of them. The one thing that's cheering me up and depressing me at the same time, is that I know I could not have tried any harder, I honestly left everything out there - and lost 3.2kgs in the process, some diet plan :rolleyes:

So what's next? When I finished, I said that's it, no more marathons. Within a half hour, I was saying - maybe I'll give Dublin a go. Now, I'm not sure. I'll take a few days and decide. I'll probably give the Dunshaughlin 10k a go. Probably the Race Series in the Park as well. After that, who knows? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Rachel, you have been terribly unlucky with the choices of your last few marathons. New York and Luxemburg are just not PB courses, too hilly and in the case of luxembourg you also got unlucky with the heat.
    It's no coincidence that i leave my PB attempts for flat courses like Blackpool and Berlin ;)

I think definitely try Dublin. A lot of people complain about the little hills there but overall it is a very fair course and quite fast I think. It's very unlikely you will get any hot weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I agree - DCM is yer only man :) In the meantime, if you would like to choose your congratulatory chocolate from this range it will be in the post ASAP: http://www.whittakers.co.nz/#/products/blocks/

I agree - DCM is yer only man :) In the meantime, if you would like to choose your congratulatory chocolate from this range it will be in the post ASAP: http://www.whittakers.co.nz/#/products/blocks/

Aw Lisa, has to be either the peanut butter or the dark orange :D I'll return the favour in Galaxy and Cadburys if you like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I really enjoyed your report Rachel and I can feel your disappointment, completely understandable.
    As everyone else has said DCM is a super marathon, not too many crowds, not too many hills and a very high chance of perfect running weather. I think you're right to sign up for the race series with no pressure on yourself, I'm sure when you have a summer of enjoyable races here at home you'll sign up for DCM:)

Congratulations on another marathon under your belt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Definitely do Dublin Rachel. You know deep down that you're not finished marathon running yet. A couple of days and you'll sign up. :)
    And as always great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Definitely congratulations on finishing this challenging course in hot weather. You're one tough cookie!! And take a little consolation that you fell short of your goal time by approximately the same margin as one Clown on these boards did in Boston, so I'd say you're in pretty good company. And that should tell you just how heat really does affect time/performance, no matter your preparation. Sounds like you should give Dublin a go to me. You've got that sub 4 in you for sure!! ;)

Great report Rachel, and some really brave running out there!
    If you do decide to do DCM (no pressure!) you'll definitely have some company. I'm on the "sub-4 overdue" comittee...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done in Lux Rachel. Love the report :) I know you didn’t get the time you were looking for but the conditions were far from ideal. A 4:24 marathon in those conditions is far more difficult than a sub-4 in Dublin in October – mentally and physically. That one was character-building and just goes to show how tough you are. It’ll stand to you big time.

As an aside – I was away at the weekend (only in the UK so a mere 60 minute flight) and it absolutely killed me running-wise. I could definitely feel it in my legs. My body does not take kindly to planes. I would have cried had I had to race on those legs. They’re only getting back to normal now. I don’t know how you did it with a flight in the morning and then an awful bus journey. It has me seriously thinking about the strategy for Berlin. We’re flying out the morning before and I think I’ll be wearing those anti-clot socks you get in the hospital after an operation to try save me.

Well done again – you do deserve to bask in the glory.

claralara wrote: »
    As an aside – I was away at the weekend (only in the UK so a mere 60 minute flight) and it absolutely killed me running-wise. I could definitely feel it in my legs. My body does not take kindly to planes. I would have cried had I had to race on those legs. They’re only getting back to normal now. I don’t know how you did it with a flight in the morning and then an awful bus journey. It has me seriously thinking about the strategy for Berlin. We’re flying out the morning before and I think I’ll be wearing those anti-clot socks you get in the hospital after an operation to try save me.

To be honest everything felt quite tired, not just the legs: combination of early flight and long bus trip, change in diet, the fact that we weren't just away for my marathon, it was a family weekend. Lots of little things that, on their own, wouldn't have caused a problem. But together? Not good :(
    Re the legs, the compression socks would definitely be worth a try.

Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments folks. I'm finally coming out of my haze of self pity ;) Massage and slow jog planned for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on a gutsy race Rachel! That'll stand to you for Dublin ;), where you'll nail that sub4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done Rachel. Great report. I only saw it now half asleep i am these days. DCM a must i think. Just think no travelling, your own bed the night before, all the home comforts, a definite sub4. Do it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just got to read your report there Rachel, brilliant as usual. You are some woman. Well done on another great run. Some day I hope to be back running marathons, you are my inspiration.

On Thursday I did a nice 2.9 miles in 29 mins, followed by a massage. The miles were grand, the massage was not. Holy crap, it hurt. And because I'm obviously a masochist, I'm going back next Thursday for more :rolleyes:

Today Hal Higdon's recovery plan had an hour of easy running. I tried not to use the Garmin and just run by feel. But of course I kept looking at the watch, and looking at the pace, and beating myself up about the fact that I was running faster this morning than I did last Saturday. "Huh, it was like this last week, sun and heat. And oh, I can run this morning but I couldn't last week. Stupid body" etc etc. I've been giving myself a hard time all week about Saturday and going through an extended remix of Shoulda Woulda Coulda. And then this morning, about half way though the run, I finally gave up giving out. Epiphany! And it was all because of bloody Take That. :confused:

I have loads of sh1te music on my phone, I love pretty much every 80s song and I have a special soft spot for cheese from any decade - Journey's Open Arms, Boston's More than a feeling, etc etc. Take That's "Never Forget" is in there. I was in the middle of making myself feel like crap again while trotting up the Malahide Road and the song started. And I listened to the words. "We've come so far and we've reached so high and we've looked each day and night in the eye, and we're still so young and we hope for more" - ah lads I was nearly in floods. Goosebumps and everything. Never in a million years did I think that Gary Barlow, of all people, could sum up the whole thing. "Never forget where you're coming from...someday soon this will be someone else's dream" Hugely corny I know, but for some reason it hit a nerve this morning. "I understand the meaning of 'I can't explain this feeling' now, and it feels so unreal". Honestly, if someone else had written that and put it to a less catchy/corny melody, people would love it and rave about it. I played the song again when it finished and got the goosebumps all over again.

Anyway, as usual I've posted too much about other stuff but it helps to write it down and it saves me from bothering OH with it again ;). I finished the run with a smile on my face and 6.5 miles done in an hour. Another couple of miles tomorrow to finish zero week. Happy out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah, great post above....one that many/most of us can totally relate to, so thanks for thinking out loud and sharing it with us. Oh, and great selection in music too! ;)

27 May
    Plan: 3 easy miles
    Actual: 3 miles @ 9:25 avg pace.
    Didn't look at the watch, ran by feel. Nice easy end to zero week

28 May
    Plan: Crosstraining, 30 mins
    Actual: 40 min walk

29 May
    Plan: 3 easy miles
    Actual: 3 miles @ 9:01 avg pace
    Faster than intended. Ran to 1.5 miles and turned around for home, very straightforward.

30 May
    Plan: 3 x mile @mar pace
    Actual: 5.2 miles w/3 tempo
    As my marathon pace was abysmally slow, I thought I'd treat this as a bit of a tempo run instead - maybe hit halfmarathon pace. Very hot and sticky out there. First mile warmup was 9:23. Then 8:40, 8:24, 8:15 were the 3 tempo miles - based on Raheny 5 time according to McMillan, half marathon pace should be 8:20. Cooldown 1.2 mile were at 9:10 avg pace.
    Enjoyed that one, even though I had a big purple/red head by the time I got home - shockin' warm and sticky out by the coast.

Signed up for the Dunshaughlin 10k on 23rd June. It's at the end of HH's marathon recovery program so I'm not sure what shape I'll be in - just have to wait and see :)

racheljev wrote: »
    Signed up for the Dunshaughlin 10k on 23rd June. It's at the end of HH's marathon recovery program so I'm not sure what shape I'll be in - just have to wait and see :)
    Me too. Can we organise a sub 50 pacing group and get each other over that line? :D
    On Thursday I did a nice 2.9 miles in 29 mins, followed by a massage. The miles were grand, the massage was not. Holy crap, it hurt. And because I'm obviously a masochist, I'm going back next Thursday for more :rolleyes:

Today Hal Higdon's recovery plan had an hour of easy running. I tried not to use the Garmin and just run by feel. But of course I kept looking at the watch, and looking at the pace, and beating myself up about the fact that I was running faster this morning than I did last Saturday. "Huh, it was like this last week, sun and heat. And oh, I can run this morning but I couldn't last week. Stupid body" etc etc. I've been giving myself a hard time all week about Saturday and going through an extended remix of Shoulda Woulda Coulda. And then this morning, about half way though the run, I finally gave up giving out. Epiphany! And it was all because of bloody Take That. :confused:

I have loads of sh1te music on my phone, I love pretty much every 80s song and I have a special soft spot for cheese from any decade - Journey's Open Arms, Boston's More than a feeling, etc etc. Take That's "Never Forget" is in there. I was in the middle of making myself feel like crap again while trotting up the Malahide Road and the song started. And I listened to the words. "We've come so far and we've reached so high and we've looked each day and night in the eye, and we're still so young and we hope for more" - ah lads I was nearly in floods. Goosebumps and everything. Never in a million years did I think that Gary Barlow, of all people, could sum up the whole thing. "Never forget where you're coming from...someday soon this will be someone else's dream" Hugely corny I know, but for some reason it hit a nerve this morning. "I understand the meaning of 'I can't explain this feeling' now, and it feels so unreal". Honestly, if someone else had written that and put it to a less catchy/corny melody, people would love it and rave about it. I played the song again when it finished and got the goosebumps all over again.

Anyway, as usual I've posted too much about other stuff but it helps to write it down and it saves me from bothering OH with it again ;). I finished the run with a smile on my face and 6.5 miles done in an hour. Another couple of miles tomorrow to finish zero week. Happy out :)

Great post Rachel. Sometimes things just connect? You totally captured the moment there. :cool:
    ...and I have to admit I love that song too

Emer911 wrote: »
    Me too. Can we organise a sub 50 pacing group and get each other over that line? :D

Yes! Let's do this - I was in such bad form after Dunshaughlin last year, and if it starts to go pear shaped again half way through, I'll just walk off and go home. If I'm running with you, I'll be too embarrassed to DNF.

Thursday
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3.1 miles @ 9:20 avg pace
    Up and out early for this because the girlies' school was a polling station for the referendum. Reminded me why I like running early and walking around with a smug smile for the rest of the day.:D

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Plan: 45-75 min run
    Actual: 7.47 miles in 69 mins, 9:15 avg pace
    Very little garmin watching this morning. Didn't look at the avg pace at all, had the odd squint to see what distance was covered but mainly used it as a stopwatch - set up the main screen with the 3 field but "time" was biggest ;) It was really starting to heat up as I was coming back, I'd say it'll be a hot one out there today. (And again with the smug face because I'm done and dusted for the day :D) 30min tempo tomorrow and week 1 of marathon recovery over. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Yes! Let's do this - I was in such bad form after Dunshaughlin last year, and if it starts to go pear shaped again half way through, I'll just walk off and go home. If I'm running with you, I'll be too embarrassed to DNF.

please add me to that sub 50 group, i have to beat my pb of 50.00:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Team effort here for the sub-50 in Dunshaughlin, I like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »

Oh my god, dunshaughlin last year was a nightmare! I'll never forget it - digger was going to send out a search party after 54 minutes because I had set out on a sub-50 attempt and was nowhere to be seen! Ugh.

A pacing group is a brilliant idea for the motivation when the pain kicks in. Just make sure everyone knows that the evil looks, insults and bad language that will be exchanged aren't really meant - how I haven't been dumped in light of some of the races I've been paced in is beyond me!!

Deffo think we should have a go at sub50 as a group - any of you faster 4?:?? peeps want to pace us there (yes MarthaStew, Claralara, DigiJem, RQ - I'm looking at ALL of you :D)

Today:
    Plan: 30 min tempo
    Actual: 3.37 miles in 30 mins, 8:54 avg pace

Did a warmup mile of 9:50, then 1.31 miles in 10:10 mins (avg mile pace 7:47) and cooldown of just over a mile in 10 mins (avg pace 9:20). Not a bad run. Wind and rain played havoc with my times, and I followed a route that meant a few small inclines but nothing major. Nice end to a decent enough week 1 marathon recovery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi Rach and sub 50 groupies...

I'll pace you guys for a Dunshaughlin sub 50 if you'd like. I'm pacing a HM the following day so would be happy to help out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hi Rach and sub 50 groupies...

I'll pace you guys for a Dunshaughlin sub 50 if you'd like. I'm pacing a HM the following day so would be happy to help out :)

I'm disgusted I won't be there:mad:The delectable digger as your own personal pacer.... You're in good hands ladies.
    Digger you'll have to get CL to join you on this one also, a whole weekend of pacing:)

Advertisement