Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Knock 'em dead tomorrow Rachel!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

racheljev wrote: »
    Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 4 miles in 33:17, avg pace 8:19

One of those mornings. Loads to get done today so plan was to go out early. Alarm didn't go off - probably because I didn't turn it on last night, d'oh. Got kids ready for school in horrendously bad form. Oldest boy driving me nuts by sniggering at his baby sister, who then proceeded to whinge and whine while I was brushing her hair. I told him to stop or I'd throw the hairbrush at him. He didn't stop so I threw the frickin' hairbrush at him. Baaaaad mammy... After the alarm didn't go off, plan b was to get miles in before the piano tuner arrived at 10 a.m. - kids in school for 9 a.m. This meant wearing my running gear to school, which I hate - I'm far from a yummy mummy at the best of times; wearing running capris and tshirt? Oh yeah, I'm rockin' that look... Got to school to discover that youngest girl should've had her tracksuit on, and she didn't. First 0.65 mile done was the run back home to get the bloody tracksuit, next 0.65 mile was the run back to the school to put the shaggin' thing on her. Then the other 2.7 miles were done in a temper to get back home for the piano tuner. Got home at 9:55, phone rang at 9:58 to say he'd be a bit late. He's just arrived. I would've gotten the full 5 miles done, no problem. Grrrrrrr.

The run itself was grand. Quite hot out there and my temper helped fuel a few fast miles, even though part of the route had a bit of an incline that I normally hate. This morning, I ran faster to get past the frickin' thing. Off to practice some deep breathing and mainline some toblerone.

Never. Having. Kids.

Edit: good luck tomorrow Rach. Not sure if I'll go out or not, hope it goes to plan for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Rach is in bed since 9pm. It's part of her prep for sub 50 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Rach is in bed since 9pm. It's part of her prep for sub 50 ;)
    Not far off Digs, back went funny again on Thursday so lashing the Difene into me in the hope that I'll be able to run tonight. Thurs was another fun day - smallest girl at docs with virus called 'slapped cheek syndrome' - reckon its karma kicking me in the a$$ for the hairbrush incident. No run on Thursday because of this. Thurs evening, middle back pain again, not as bad as last time but not really able to sleep. Yesterday not much better, so tried the tablets and feeling a bit better this morning. But also feeling incredibly nervous about tonight, nerves already in shreds :o See ya there lads, I reckon there'll be more pacers than pacees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck this evening Rachel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Not far off Digs, back went funny again on Thursday so lashing the Difene into me in the hope that I'll be able to run tonight. Thurs was another fun day - smallest girl at docs with virus called 'slapped cheek syndrome' - reckon its karma kicking me in the a$$ for the hairbrush incident. No run on Thursday because of this. Thurs evening, middle back pain again, not as bad as last time but not really able to sleep. Yesterday not much better, so tried the tablets and feeling a bit better this morning. But also feeling incredibly nervous about tonight, nerves already in shreds :o See ya there lads, I reckon there'll be more pacers than pacees :)

You better not back out on me... I don't need 3 pacers on me own! Aagh! :eek:
    Best of luck later on. See ya then.

Wasn't looking forward to this, surprise surprise ;) Head all over the place today, kept remembering last year's run and the complete ar$e I made of it. Back was also still a bit sore and I was just generally unsure. Anyway, headed out and decided to see what happened.

As usual, got there too early so sat in the car for a while and then went in. Met Rainbow Kirby, Brianderunner, Cinguetti and annoyed them for a while. Back to the car for another while, back into the hall to meet Emer911, Krusty, Claralara, RayCun and our pacers - Digger and Meno. Digger proposed a warmup with strides so off Emer, RK and I went.

Quick warmup later and we were ready to go. We weren't very far back so didn't have to pass too many people on the way. Aim was to hit 5k at around 24:30 (I think) to leave a bit in the tank for the second half, which was tougher. Each km ticked off. I was feeling ok - it was hard but I was sort of coping. At about 4k I had a bit of a head wobble, but I kept quiet and kept going. Can't remember what the clock said at 5k but I know I thought, crap, maybe we won't make it. Anyway, we kept going. The hill I remembered as awful from last year wasn't remotely as bad as I thought it was going to be. I felt really really tired at this stage but the fact that Emer was beside me, and the lads were in front, kept me going (I have to say, the lads were brilliant: blocking the wind, pointing the racing line, general cheerleading, really made it much more straightforward. I'm so used to running on my own that I was apprehensive about running with others. But it was great)

Another small head wobble around 7k. At the 8k mark I thought, ok, maybe we will actually do it. The wind hit us every now and again but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just after 9k, Digger said, I'm not going to say anything until 100m to go, don't look at your watch. I waited a few metres and just about gasped "Don't go faster please". Each 100m felt like so much further but we were so close... 200m to go, we legged it. Over the line in 49:36.

So happy with myself! AND I even puked a bit when I got over the line - first time ever in a race :rolleyes:, couldn't even manage the strawberries and cream, dammit. Back to the clubhouse for tea, sandwiches and cake - although unfortunately all the iced buns were eaten - some of them by people who weren't even running :eek: (yes Brian, I'm looking at you ;)). So, a 10k pb by 1:15 and a 4:33 improvement from last year. Yay!

Edit: just checked the garmin: 5k in 24:43, 5 miles in 39:58, 2nd 5k in 24:53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic stuff...great report and sounds like a good tough run, so well earned PB....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats rachel, well deserved. But you’ve got to back next year for the strawberries, they were yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done R, well deserved! Lovely to meet you properly too.

I would have eaten your strawberries....if only I'd known. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done R. Looked like it didnt take an ounce out of you when we met you afterwards. Nice to meet you properly this time. Hide the hairbrushes this week and we'll see you next wkd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant stuff, well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done Rachel, I love it when a plan comes together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done rachel a well deserved PB. good on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Good on you girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on a great run Rachel. You were storming it there! I guarantee there'll be more coming off that PB in the not too distant future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats Rachel, a very well deserved PB.

We have lots to celebrate on Saturday night:D

General update:
    didn't run on Sunday after Saturday's exertions - I was completely knackered and when the alarm went off to get up and out, I'm afraid I turned it off. Obviously needed a severe dose of HTFU (or else an extra hour's sleep :))

Monday, only had time to do a quick 4.5 miles in just over 40 mins before oldest boy's graduation from primary school. Very emotional mammy on Monday :(

Tuesday, boy already bored on holidays, so he came out and ran with me for 3 miles. Told him to ran at whatever pace he felt comfortable and I'd stick with him - ended up being about 10:00/mile pace so that was grand. He enjoyed it and is already threatening to come out with me more during the summer. Torn between being happy he's fit and healthy, and being annoyed that I won't even be able to go for a run to get some alone time ;)

Wednesday, boy's calves a bit stiff from yesterday so left him at home while I dashed around the block for 4 miles in just over 36 mins.

No real plan at the minute - time to just get some miles in without worrying about them too much. I know it was 18 weeks to Dublin last Monday, but I'm still not fully convinced I'm going to do it yet. Luxembourg and the accompanying pain/confidence dent is still quite fresh in my head. Saturday went quite a long way in restoring some of that confidence, but I'm still not sure if I want to commit to another long program. Also, the kids are on hols from Friday which means early morning runs again and we're on hols in Kerry for middle two weeks in July - I'll get some runs in but probably won't be disciplined enough. Decisions, decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nobody said you absolutely have to run a marathon :pac:

How about keeping things steady for the summer, do a bit of speedwork and smash the shorter distance PBs, then target a half in the autumn/winter? (Waterford in December is jumping out at me there)

Thursday:
    The Boy wanted to have another go at this running stuff, so brought him out for a few miles after dropping the girls to school. Unfortunately he'd eaten a pancake too many before we went so he ended up with a stitch after 1.5 miles. Got him to slow down, breathe deeply, stick the fingers into the stich and keep moving. He got to just under 2.5 miles and then he decided to walk. So for the rest of the way home, I ran up another bit and back to him and up again, so I added another 1.5 miles to the day's total. 4 miles done.

Friday:
    Had to go to a funeral after dropping the girls to school for their last day so didn't think I'd get a run in. Got home earlier than expected so jumped into the gear, dropped the car at the school and pegged it around the block. Quite hot so ended up with a big purple face back at the school - oh yes, definitely a yummy mummy :rolleyes: 3.5 miles in 30:55

Saturday:
    Went out with the intention of doing 8 miles. Loved the rain so much though, that I ended up doing 9.8 miles in 1:28. Lovely morning for running. Nice bit of rain and wind, then a bit of sun to help dry off. Really enjoyed it. Only drawback was the dodgy tummy striking again just as I got within a few feet of my house - otherwise I would have taken an extra turn and made the distance up to 10 miles. Stomach in shreds now, feeling a bit weak from all the horribleness. Think my ladies night might be in jeopardy :(

• Advertisement

Ah no Rachel :(

Quick update on the last week:
    After Saturday's horribleness, I felt like a worn out dishrag on Sunday. But because I'm obviously slightly unhinged, I still went out for a run - a very very slow one, 3.4 miles in 35 mins.

Monday was a bit better, 4 miles in 36:28. Had a quick look at a few 10 mile plans on Monday and decided to hope into week 3 of one of the Hal Higdon plans. That had a 40 min tempo scheduled for Tuesday.
    So Tuesday ended up as 4.8 miles in 41 mins. Warmup mile 9:32, 2.6 miles @ 7:45 avg pace, then finish with 1.2 mile cool down. Loved this session, great fun. Enjoyed it so much that I tried really hard to ignore the niggling calf pain in my right leg.

Unfortunately the pain made itself much more noticeable as the day went on. Sticked it, rolled it, stretched it, iced it - still very sore on Wednesday so no run. No run Thursday, no run Friday, going very slightly frickin' mad. Got a sports massage on Friday - AT said the muscles were mad mad tight, keep up the rolling, sticking etc and don't overdo the miles. Run until it's not comfortable or it hurts.

So 3.6 miles this morning that felt ok. Calf not painful exactly but I was aware of a twinge when I was running. So 10 mile plan parked for a week or so. We're off to Kenmare for the next two weeks so I'll get in a few miles here and there, no regimented plan or garmin-watching, just easy miles. Hopefully when we get back, I should be able to hop back into the plan, there'll still be 5 full weeks till the 10 mile in the park at that stage. Off now to pack the car for 2 adults, 1 preteen (as he now insists on being called) and 2 picky girls for 2 weeks - happy days ;)

Quick update
    Getting a bit of a run in every day so far on hols. Not running very far - between 3 & 4 miles every day, 6 on Saturday. Bit of a wuss on the country roads, don't like running without a path. Also afraid of mad speedy drivers ;) Also swimming a bit every day with the kiddies. Anyway, we're here for another week so will try to keep the streak going and keep getting a few miles done :)

And..... I'm back. Got back from hols on Saturday, lovely time in the Kingdom, weather not fantastic but none of us are sugar babies - we didn't melt in the rain :) Managed to run 12 of the 14 days away - rest day no.1 was because I had a migraine and rest day no.2 was the day we came home. 47 miles done over the two weeks, just general mileage - sped up when I wanted to, slowed down when I felt like it. Nice :)

Anyway, back to the 10 mile plan. Yesterday's plan had 3 miles, which ended up being 3.2 miles in 29 mins.
    Today:
    Plan: 45 min tempo run.
    Actual: 5 miles in 42:29.
    Mile 1 warmup 9:33. Next 3 miles fast - 7:59, 7:50, 7:51. Cooldown final mile of 9:17. Had to stop twice during the tempo miles for traffic - not a good plan to dodge cars on a grey misty morning. Felt like a tough workout, probably because it's been a few weeks since I did any fast stuff. Still, happy enough with the pace I kept. Did an out and back route so out was drag uphill, back was slight downhill - probably why 2nd half of tempo was faster than 1st.

I was planning on doing the Bay 10k on 6th August. 10 mile plan has a 10k race that weekend so it would fit perfectly, but still not completely decided. 5k this Friday not going to suit unfortunately - family stuff in the way. 800s tomorrow - yuck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Welcome back. 12 out of 14 days running on holiday, well done you!

Let me know if you want me to collect your number on the Sunday of you're doing the Bay 10K, I live just up the road from it.

Am suitably impressed with all that holiday running. Was down there myself the last two weeks, we could have hooked up for a run perhaps.

Marthastew wrote: »
    Let me know if you want me to collect your number on the Sunday of you're doing the Bay 10K, I live just up the road from it.

Thanks a million O, if I sign up (which at the moment is looking increasingly more likely ;)) I'll let you know.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Was down there myself the last two weeks, we could have hooked up for a run perhaps.

Ah pity about that, I wouldn't have minded a partner - I'm an awful wuss on the road, took me ages to pluck up the courage to run beyond the speed limit signs! We were in Kenmare, whereabouts were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow Rachel Im so impressed. I aim to be like you someday- a person who runs on their holidays, everytime I go away I completely forget I'm supposed to be training :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks a million O, if I sign up (which at the moment is looking increasingly more likely ;)) I'll let you know.

Last year myself, RK and huskerdu headed straight to Teddy's after the race for an ice-cream. In truth, the only reason I'm considering it this year. :)

• Advertisement

Plan: 5 x 800 @ 5k pace
    Actual: 5.8 miles in 51:48

As usual, didn't want to do this. I hate hate hate 00s of any type. Also, had to be up extra early because OH had to be in work before 8, which meant leaving before 7:30, which meant me getting up at 6:15 a.m. - ouch. Anyway, up and out. Warmup mile of 9:52, very quick stretch and onto the 800s. There's a little green near me, probably mentioned it before, and it's just about 400m around the outside. So decided to use that for the session, around 15 circuits should see me through :)
    First 800 was ok, took off a bit too fast and had to pull back a teeny bit. 3:39.
    (According to McMillan, my 5k mile pace should be 7:34 which would mean 800 of about 3:47. However McMillan also says 800m for me as part of speed workout should be between 3:35 & 3:45. So I was aiming to keep it below 3:45 and anything else was a bonus).
    Did 0.3 mile recovery inbetween each repeat, because of course I'd forgotten to change the watch from miles to kms and couldn't do complicated calculations at 6:30 a.m.- 0.3 was easier to add then 0.25 to each 0.5 repeat and gave me slightly longer to catch my breath ;)
    Number 2 was grand as well, same as the first one, had to pull back a little when the watch started hitting 6:50s. 3:39.
    Third one felt a bit harder, 3:42. Fourth one felt even harder, entertained thoughts of giving up for this one, 3:42. The last one was grand again, obviously because I knew I was almost finished, 3:39. Final 0.3 recovery and then 0.8 cooldown home @ 9:07 pace.

Happy with that session. It's ages since I did a decent 00s of any type so that one was a good confidence boost. And in the euphoria of a good session, I registered for the Bay 10k on 6 August. Ooops :rolleyes:

Advertisement