Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Teddy's ice-cream all round on August 6th:D:D:D
    RQ, why don't you join us? You know you want to... I'll even make yours a 99;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marthastew wrote: »
    Teddy's ice-cream all round on August 6th:D:D:D
    RQ, why don't you join us? You know you want to... I'll even make yours a 99;)

I currently have the run pace of a constipated tortoise, I might come out and 'jog' it though. I still have my train tickets I got as a spot prize last year, can cash them in on the Dart. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I currently have the run pace of a constipated tortoise, I might come out and 'jog' it though. I still have my train tickets I got as a spot prize last year, can cash them in on the Dart. :cool:

Cool, your "jogging" is still faster than my running so if I follow you, I might manage to get close to sub50 again :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Teddy's ice-cream all round on August 6thbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Already looking forward to the ice creams (note the "s" at the end of ice cream :D )

Thursday:
    Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 5 miles @ 9:25 avg pace.
    Not nice this one. Old shoes hurt feet. And legs. Struggled with this run in a way that I didn't with the previous day's 800s. Nothing to see here, move along please.

Friday:
    Rest day

Saturday:
    Plan: 10 miles
    Actual: 10.4 @9:19 avg pace.
    First double figure run in quite a while (oops). Quite warm and sticky but still enjoyed it. Pace kept creeping up a little when my attention wandered, so tried to keep it around 9:20ish. Right calf a bit sore afterwards, did a lot of sticking, which made it hurt more. Also stupid stomach playing up again.

Sunday:
    Plan: 3 miles pace
    Actual: 3.3 miles @ 8:27 avg pace
    Warmup of 0.6 miles, then 2 miles of 8:00, then cooldown of 0.7 miles. Didn't enjoy this one little bit. Yesterday's stomach issues still around. Didn't even want to do the pace miles but fooled myself into accelerating up to speed just as I crossed over a main road and didn't slow down again until 2 pace miles done. Not the full 3 though, grrrr:mad: Grumpy now....

Seem to be having a lot of stomach probs Rach. Is it something you're eating before runs?

• Advertisement

Seem to be having a lot of stomach probs Rach. Is it something you're eating before runs?

I wish it was as simple as that. I don't eat at all before running, I normally run so early that I'm not hungry and I don't need it. Had tummy trouble for years - picked up parasite when we lived in India and c-section on youngest girl also seems to have caused problems. Had colonoscopy a few years ago to see if it was anything obvious. Lots of tummy issues in the family - Crohn's, IBS, ulcerative colitis - so think I'm genetically predisposed to it! Anyway, sometimes it's grand for ages, then I have a really bad run (ahem) for a while. I'm in the middle of a bad phase at the moment - rich food on hols prob didn't help. It's very frustrating because there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause or solution - hence the grumpiness. Think I'll be immodium-d up before next week's 10k....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

racheljev wrote: »
    I wish it was as simple as that. I don't eat at all before running, I normally run so early that I'm not hungry and I don't need it. Had tummy trouble for years - picked up parasite when we lived in India and c-section on youngest girl also seems to have caused problems. Had colonoscopy a few years ago to see if it was anything obvious. Lots of tummy issues in the family - Crohn's, IBS, ulcerative colitis - so think I'm genetically predisposed to it! Anyway, sometimes it's grand for ages, then I have a really bad run (ahem) for a while. I'm in the middle of a bad phase at the moment - rich food on hols prob didn't help. It's very frustrating because there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause or solution - hence the grumpiness. Think I'll be immodium-d up before next week's 10k....

Hope the stomach issues get sorted for you asap...you're getting great running done there and well done on all the holiday runs!!

Update:
    Not a great week to report.
    After last Sunday's crappy run, Monday's wasn't much better - 3 miles done. Left calf and shin felt very sore and niggly, pain feeling reminiscent of this time 2 years ago - ah! no way! can't be the dreaded stress fracture again! So, using my common sense and not HTFU'ing myself, I took Tuesday and Wednesday off. Sticked, rubbed, massaged, stretched and deep heated the heck out of my legs this week. (Tbh, I knew it was muscular but still felt a bit panicky...)

By Thursday, calf felt ok, so I did 5 miles in just under 45 mins. Friday, still ok, 4.2 miles in 40 mins. Today should have been a 3 mile pace run according to the program that I'm supposed to be following :rolleyes: but which I may as well tear up and fling in the bin at this stage. Did 3.5 miles in 30:04, 8:39 avg pace so speedy enough after the bad week. Taking another rest day tomorrow in the hope that I might have a bit in the legs on Monday for the Bay 10k. Not holding out any hope for sub 50. Did it last year in 52:48 so will aim for anything lower than that. A big fat meh of a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Not a bad week at all, given your calf problem. Good luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear that Rachel, best of luck in the 10k.

• Advertisement

Writing this report while Katie Taylor boxes - nerves gone but may have to keep running in to telly to see what's happening...:o

As usual wasn't too confident this morning. Headed out to MarthaStew's house - she very kindly picked up my number and told me I could park outside her house, happy days. Met MrStew as well and one of the miniStews - who I felt very sorry for, his bank holiday Monday and this very nervous chattering woman descends on his house before he even has his brekkie! Anyway, headed down to the startline and got into my pen. I was in the sub55 pen, red numbers and I noticed the stewards were being very careful about making sure people were in the right place - very good. Time ticked on and off we went. As I said before, I was hoping for quicker than last year which was 52:48. I knew I didn't have a sub50 in me today, somewhere around 51 ish would be good. (sorry, just ran off to check telly, Katie winning heading into last round, nerves completely shredded).

I remembered from last year that the first 5k was quite hilly, and sure enough it was. Mile 1 was 7:54 which was grand, but I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain it. Mile 2 8:03. Mile 3 was very tough, it had a big up and down and the run up the Glenageary road I remembered from last year. Mile 3 8:23. All I wanted to make sure of this year was that I ran the whole way up the hill. And I did. Slowed at the water station at 5k to get a drink, wasted about 30 secs here. (Sorry, just had to run into telly again, Katie won!! GO KATIE!!:D) Got back moving as quick as I could but drink stop really messed up this mile - Mile 4 8:31

I thought, from here on, it was mainly downhill so I just tried to go as fast as I could. Legs were very tired and roaring at me. Head was saying, ah sure slow down, you'll beat your time, you'll be grand. Just kept going. Mile 5 7:57. The wind, which had been at our backs for a while, was now in our faces as we headed back towards the finish. The 9k mark was just outside Teddy's and the last k felt much harder than I thought it would. I was pretty much spent at this stage and slowed down a bit, then tried to speed up, then slowed down again. Mile 6 8:14. The finish line was in sight at this stage. I really wanted to get over the line in 51:xx on the clock but it just ticked over to 52 as I went under. Last 0.29 was done at 7:31 pace. Garmin time 51:13, Chip time 51:11. First 5k 27:09, 2nd 24:53 :)

So, happy enough with that. I knew I didn't have 50 in me but I still wanted to do better than last year. And I did, 1:37 quicker. Met up with MarthaStew and MrStew - both did brilliantly as expected, with the Mr beating the Mrs this morning :) Headed back to collect the car with the aid of a Teddy's 99 - Thank you O!

I think that's me done with 10k's a while, I just don't really like them that much and my goal for the year was to break 50 - which I did in Dunshaughlin. Next race is Frank Duffy 10 mile in just under 3 weeks, I'll decide after that whether or not to sign up for DCM. Now, off to celebrate Katie's win with a jaffa cake or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Negative split, no GI issues, after a tough week = result ! Congrats.

So two great results for Irish sports women today ;)
    Well done R!

Well done Rachel. Great running. Reminder of what a horrible course it was last year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Rachel. Any run that close to the sea is always gonna be tough with the wind. Great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome job!! The first half sounds like a killer, but what a fantastic second half you had! :D

well done, great running with leg giving you hassel during the week, on what sounds like a challenging course.

After Monday's 10k, I decided to take it easy on Tuesday (3.1 miles in just over 30 mins) and Wednesday (3.7 miles in 34:31). I had planned to do something speedish on Thursday, but didn't get any sleep on Wednesday night - Thursday was a rest day. Friday, I tried a tempo run, I knew there was no way I'd enough energy for intervals. So, warmup mile of 9:26, 2.65 miles @ 8:30 pace and cooldown 0.65 mile @ 9:00 pace. Just couldn't go any faster for the tempo section, legs and body completely knackered.

Today's plan was 12 miles, but again this morning I was worn out. Told OH the plan was 12 but I didn't think I'd do it, I'd go out for a while and see how much I could get down. I thought once I started moving I'd feel better, but I didn't. No energy and every step felt like a plod. Added a few fiddly bits to my route so that when I hit my usual 2, 3, 4 mile landmarks, I'd actually hit 5, 6, 7 miles instead - normally that gives me a bit of a boost but not this morning. Eventually got to 10 miles and stopped at a garage quite close to home to buy a drink, in the hope it'd give me enough energy to drag my sorry carcass the last mile or so. Just as I came out of the garage, OH rang to checkI was ok - I'd been gone a while at this stage. Told him I was worn out and he offered to come pick me up. I was so tired I accepted. Jogged the last little bit to where the car collected me. So 10.44 miles in 1:37:55. When I got into the car, he pointed out that the drink I bought to boost my energy was sugar free, d'oh :(

Honestly, I'm like a bloody yoyo on this log. One day I'm great and fab and raring to go - yes of course I can do the marathon again, I'm bleedin' superwoman. The next day, it's all "oh woe is me, I'm tired, my tummy hurts, blah blah bloody blah". All I know for sure is that I'm knackered, tired to my bones, I look and feel like a bloody dishrag (really, it's all glamour in my house). Frank Duffy 10 mile is in two weeks and if I feel on the 25th as bad as I feel today, I may as well not bother turning up. And to top it all off, this is the second time I've typed this bloody post because the first one got lost. Think I'll go off and have a little sleep and a cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Honestly, I'm like a bloody yoyo on this log. One day I'm great and fab and raring to go - yes of course I can do the marathon again, I'm bleedin' superwoman. The next day, it's all "oh woe is me, I'm tired, my tummy hurts, blah blah bloody blah". All I know for sure is that I'm knackered, tired to my bones, I look and feel like a bloody dishrag (really, it's all glamour in my house). Frank Duffy 10 mile is in two weeks and if I feel on the 25th as bad as I feel today, I may as well not bother turning up. And to top it all off, this is the second time I've typed this bloody post because the first one got lost. Think I'll go off and have a little sleep and a cry...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling the love Rachel.
    Think you might be feeling the effects of Overtraining?
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    How is your diet?
    How is your iron level?

Maybe a few days r&r is all you need, or some off-plan training for a week or so just to get the mojo back? Take care of yourself anyway?

Ok, so what happened since Saturday's pity fest? Not that much :rolleyes:

On Saturday, I felt sorry for myself for the rest of the day. OH had to go into work after his mercy mission (collecting me ;)) so me and the babas vegged in front of the Olympics for the day. On Sunday I decided a few easy miles might make me feel better so 3 miles done in 28 minutes. Didn't make me feel better but didn't make me feel worse so I'll take that as a positive :rolleyes:

Monday, still knackered and the wind was howling at 6:30 a.m. so I stayed in bed. Then later, I felt guilty so I ran up and down the stairs for 15 mins. Yes, I know it sounds a bit crazy. No, I didn't use the garmin so I don't know how far I ran. Yes, it was a quite effective workout as the DOMS in my calves proved.

Tuesday, 5.2 miles in 49:38. A blah run, not too much of anything: not bad, not great, just blah.

This morning: 5.5 miles in just under 50 mins, divided into 2 runs. Last night the Boy decided he wanted to run with me, so I headed out firstly for a short tempo run.
    3.9 miles in 33:35 - mile 1 warmup 9:41, mile 2 8:29, mile 3 7:54, 0.9 mile cooldown 8:35 (cooldown slightly faster than intended).
    I had told the Boy that I'd be back at the door at 7:10 and he had to be ready, and he was. So we did 1.6 miles at just over 10 min/mile pace. He was a bit knackered because it was so early, no brekkie etc, but he did well. Just as well I got the miles in before the horrendous weather hit.

Making appt with doc for blood tests and the like. I've been keeping a food diary for the last few weeks, with the intention of shifting a few stubborn pounds and that might be affecting me as well - I've cut out a lot of the junk so maybe I'm missing sugar :o. Emer, thanks for the overtraining link - something else for me to look into. Program for 10 mile gone out the window, will just run for the next while and see how I feel.

• Advertisement

You ran up and down the stairs for 15 mins?!?! :)

Just back from docs, I've severe pustular tonsillitis, whatever the hell that is. I'm on antibiotics and pain killers for the next 7 days, and she told me I'm not allowed run for 2 weeks. So I won't be doing the 10 mile after all. She told me to go to bed for the next 3-4 days and to get OH home from work to mind kids. At least I know why I was so knackered for the past few days....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You have a diagnosis, you have a treatment, and you know you'll be back in form in a couple of weeks. And in the meantime you can eat icecream:)
    What's not to like? :)

Just back from docs, I've severe pustular tonsillitis, whatever the hell that is. I'm on antibiotics and pain killers for the next 7 days, and she told me I'm not allowed run for 2 weeks. So I won't be doing the 10 mile after all. She told me to go to bed for the next 3-4 days and to get OH home from work to mind kids. At least I know why I was so knackered for the past few days....

:eek: :eek:

Is that possible?

:eek:

Rach, mind yourself and follow the Doc instructions and you'll be glad you did.......did the Doc tell you that you had to eat jelly and icecream every day too:D everyone thinks its the icecream that does all the good work but its actually the jelly, especially if you liquify it like the kids do;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you'll be feeling better soon rachel! Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Jeese louise! And there you were thinking you were just a bit OFF and still doing 10 mile runs!? :eek: Superwoman, or what!

Now do as your told and go back to bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Emer911 wrote: »
    Jeese louise! And there you were thinking you were just a bit OFF and still doing 10 mile runs!? :eek: Superwoman, or what!

Now do as your told and go back to bed :D

Ditto!! :D

And I'm back from the tonsillitis and antibiotic. I know the doc said 14 days of no running, but on Sunday it was almost 11 days so I ventured out for 3.2 easy miles. I didn't even look at the time and I slowed down if I felt a bit dodgy. I actually enjoyed it, just took my time and toddled around for half an hour. Didn't run Monday. Ran yesterday. Felt quite good so ran a little bit faster - 3.6 miles, avg pace 8:58. Out again this morning. Decided on a hillier route to see how the breathing and legs held up. And it was fine. 4.2 miles in 39 mins. Highlight of the run was seeing Fionnuala Britton running towards me down the Swords Road as I was struggling up it. Honestly, she looked like she'd wings on her shoes. And she even gave me my runner's nod back :) Will have to try and find her tomorrow as well (oops, stalker alert ;))

So, feeling ok at the minute. Still a teeny bit dodgy - appetite not really back and quite tired but I'm definitely better. Proof of this was last night - my two girlies were dancing in the hall (LMFAO, I'm sexy and I know it) I went out and danced with them - Smallest girl cheered, middle girl said "Mammy! You're back to normal!" The Boy popped his head out, had a look, went back inside and told his father he was scarred for life :D Honestly, it's all glamour in my house :)

Doc told me to come back for blood tests a few weeks after antibiotic finished so I'll head in to her next week. I'm signed up for the half marathon in the park, and at the moment my plan is to do it as MP miles and see how I get on. I'm still toying with the idea of signing up for DCM and I know I've missed a load of time but... I really want to do it this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

That a girl Rachel. Good to see that you're on the way back. I'm in kinda the same boat, missed 6 weeks due to a badly sprained ankle.

I'd great plans of going for sub 3.30 in Dublin but 8 weeks out is not enough time to get the mileage up again to what it needs to be but going to do it all the same with no care for the time with some sort of a run/walk plan.

I'ld say do it once the doc says you're ok and you take your time. Hope the health keeps well.

Advertisement