Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

good to see you back Rach, but keep things on the easy and slow side until you are 100% clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Glad to hear you are feeling better rachel, and getting back out on the roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Rest day yesterday - alarm went off at 6:30 but I was totally knackered so I stayed in bed instead of going for a run. As a result, I was like a divil later on during the day. So when the alarm went off this morning, I leapt up and out the door. 4.2 miles in 38ish minutes, no problems to report. Planning to do 8 or 9 tomorrow and see how I feel.

In other news, I decided to "sh** or get off the pot" and make a decision about DCM. And I registered :). One reason was because it was the last day at 80 euros; another reason was because I knew deep deep down that I was going to do it, one way or another, this year. '09 was my first. '10 was the year of the stress fracture and I couldn't do it and it nearly killed me on the day. Couldn't do it last year because NYC was the week after. If I didn't do it this year, I'd be kicking myself on the day. So... I've missed loads of training. I've been sick. I've no long runs done. But I'm not bothered. I actually feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I made a bloody decision instead of stalling again. Just told OH and he said, no surprise there, knew you'd do it... God I'm so predictable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Fair play Rachel,delighted you signed up. I'm very jealous. Wish I could do it too but my stupid foot/achilles keeps acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done Rach, you won't regret it, you would have been devastated on the day if you weren't running. I guarantee you will be thrilled when you cross that finish line!

• Advertisement

Plan: 8-9 miles
    Actual: 10 miles in 1:34:41, avg pace 9:28.

Went out this morning, with a plan of doing about 90 mins. Headed out towards Raheny, because I knew I'd hit the church at about 4.5 miles and then I could head back. However on the way, I cut down All Saints road and ran down the side of St. Annes park instead. Then I looped back up to Watermill Road, all familiar terrain from the Raheny 5. Continued on down Watermill Road to the coast, feeling fine. Not too tired, quite hot but doing ok, 6 miles done. And then the wind hit me on the coast. Holy crap, it made the miles back towards home tough. I was so jealous of the runners heading towards me with the wind at their back - but I was also a bit smug because I reckoned they still had to face the wind on the way back, tee hee. I also slightly miscalculated the distance back - it was just about 4 miles back instead of 3 so that meant 10 miles instead of 8 or 9. Again, not a big deal and I felt ok. The last bit up my road nearly killed me but I'm happy it's done. So, a medium lsr done and dusted by 10:30 a.m. A few miles tomorrow should bring me up to 25 for the week - not bad for first week back from sickness :)

So, what fun things happened this week :rolleyes: ?

Finished off last week with an easy 3 miles on Sunday morning, bringing me to 25 for the week. Happy enough with that as it was first week back from tonsilitis. I've cobbled together a sort of plan for DCM, bits of everything in there - tempo miles, 00s, a few long runs. Monday was day one and it was a day of rest, happy out. Unfortunately Tuesday's session got the heave-ho, I woke up with a migraine. I haven't had one of these in a while and I normally get a 10 min warning - I get migraine with aura so the sight goes funny first, which gives me time to try and tablet up. Didn't happen this time. Got the kids ready for school and out the door while wearing shades the whole time - honestly, I'm just soooo cool :rolleyes:. I had an appt for blood tests at 9:30 which didn't go well. Apart from all my other idiosyncrasies, I have very deep veins, which make blood tests horrendous. I'm not afraid of needles but I don't like them delving into my veins, trying to source a drop of blood. The nurse tried both arms as gently as she could, but not a drop was to be found. She sent me home with orders to drink as much as I could over the next 24 hours and have a quick hot shower before coming back in the morning. Head eased as the day went on but still very painful. Next morning the pain was eased, hallelujah. And the nurse found blood, double hallelujah. She told me she took it as a personal affront - I was her first ever patient that she couldn't draw blood - see, I'm always telling people I'm special and they never believe me :D

Anyway, headache gone, blood drawn, so a run this morning - 7.8 miles in 1:14:41. Nice and easy, very hot outside so no mad legging it off down the road. I missed two runs this week, but made up some of the miles today so it shouldn't be too bad. Long run planned for Saturday - 2+ hours hopefully. Wow, actual running info posted on my log - that's unusual. This log is becoming more and more like an episode of Casualty....

Today's plan was 12 miles or 2 hours, whichever came first. I'd initially had hopes of 2.5 hours or 15, but the knackeredness didn't shift after the first mile so 12 miles was the aim. The first half was grand, the second half was awful. It just got hotter and hotter, and I got slower and slower. The last mile and a half had two walk breaks as well :eek: 12 miles in 1:55.

Hopefully the knackeredness will be lifting soon. Doc rang yesterday with blood test results and b12 is critically low apparently (49 - should be between 200 & 900, optimal level 600) So 6 b12 injections over the next 2 weeks and then more blood tests in 2-3 months to assess level again. Everything else is grand: iron, thyroid, cholesterol etc etc all fine and dandy. Just the mad low b12 level. I like it when the doc rings and says, yes we found a problem and yes we can fix it. Just in time to kick my a$$ into gear for October :D

It's always good to hear that there is a reason for feeling crappy and there is a solution to go with it:) Looks like you will be back to your old self in time for DCM so.

racheljev wrote: »
    Today's plan was 12 miles or 2 hours, whichever came first. I'd initially had hopes of 2.5 hours or 15, but the knackeredness didn't shift after the first mile so 12 miles was the aim. The first half was grand, the second half was awful. It just got hotter and hotter, and I got slower and slower. The last mile and a half had two walk breaks as well :eek: 12 miles in 1:55.

Hopefully the knackeredness will be lifting soon. Doc rang yesterday with blood test results and b12 is critically low apparently (49 - should be between 200 & 900, optimal level 600) So 6 b12 injections over the next 2 weeks and then more blood tests in 2-3 months to assess level again. Everything else is grand: iron, thyroid, cholesterol etc etc all fine and dandy. Just the mad low b12 level. I like it when the doc rings and says, yes we found a problem and yes we can fix it. Just in time to kick my a$$ into gear for October :D

Well done on 12 m and you knackered...2 weeks and you'll be flying...i believe even after the first injection you'll start to see/feel an improvement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

With those b12 injections, you may blaze that marathon!! And from my perspective, you did a great job with your run today - 12 miles in rising temps is no fun, and you must slow down!! You did grand. :)

Plan: 6 miles
    Actual: 6 miles in 57 mins.

Quite slow, these miles this morning. Still tired (obviously :rolleyes:) from yesterday, legs felt quite heavy at the start. I had it in my head though that I wanted a decent uphill bit this morning. So I ran up a road I normally use to help speed myself up. It was a decent enough incline for me, first thing in the morning, and it's about 0.75 mile long so a nice sustained effort. Had to do a bit of running up and down my road to hit 6 miles on the nose - yet more lunacy for my neighbours to comment on ;) First injection tomorrow - can't wait :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Plan: 6 miles
    Actual: 6 miles in 57 mins.

Quite slow, these miles this morning. Still tired (obviously :rolleyes:) from yesterday, legs felt quite heavy at the start. I had it in my head though that I wanted a decent uphill bit this morning. So I ran up a road I normally use to help speed myself up. It was a decent enough incline for me, first thing in the morning, and it's about 0.75 mile long so a nice sustained effort. Had to do a bit of running up and down my road to hit 6 miles on the nose - yet more lunacy for my neighbours to comment on ;)First injection tomorrow - can't wait :-)

Good Luck with that Rachel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great to have you back. Best of luck tomorrow - you won't know yourself in a week or so once the B12 kicks in. Trust me! :)

Injection 1 out of the way, 2 and 3 to come tomorrow and Thursday - waiting with baited breath for all this extra energy to take over :rolleyes:

In the meantime, today's plan was 30 min tempo run. Middle child had forgotten P.E. day today, so first part of run was back to school with gear. And because she was worried about missing P.E., first mile of run was faster than warmup (8:45 pace). 2nd mile was 7:44, final part of tempo (0.55 mile) was at 8:18 pace. Just under a mile home (0.85) for cool down at 9:23 pace. So ended up with 3.4 miles in 29 mins. Happy enough with that, haven't done anything remotely speedy in ages. And a good bit of it was on an uphill drag into the wind. Happy out.

Injection 1 out of the way, 2 and 3 to come tomorrow and Thursday - waiting with baited breath for all this extra energy to take over :rolleyes:

In the meantime, today's plan was 30 min tempo run. Middle child had forgotten P.E. day today, so first part of run was back to school with gear. And because she was worried about missing P.E., first mile of run was faster than warmup (8:45 pace). 2nd mile was 7:44, final part of tempo (0.55 mile) was at 8:18 pace. Just under a mile home (0.85) for cool down at 9:23 pace. So ended up with 3.4 miles in 29 mins. Happy enough with that, haven't done anything remotely speedy in ages. And a good bit of it was on an uphill drag into the wind. Happy out.

;)see its working already!!!

12/9: Plan was for 6 miles. Actual was 6.47 in 1 hour. Threw a few strides in towards the end as well. A grand run, nothing too much wrong with it.

13/9: Plan was for 3-4 miles. Turned on the garmin before I left the house but it didn't pick up a signal. So rather than hanging around like a looper outside my own house, I just used it as a stop watch and ran by feel for 30 mins. Wanted to push myself a bit, so kept what I felt was a decent enough pace. Maymyrun'd it when I got home, ran 3.47 in 30 mins, avg pace 8:37.

Nothing now till Saturday and the Half in the park. Not too pushed about it tbh, will aim to get in under 2 hours, anything closer to 1:55 would be a bonus. Main aim is to try to hold MP for as long as possible, let's wait and see what happens shall we?;)

Good luck on Saturday, here hoping we get to meet after

It'd be great to meet up Anne, what are you aiming for? I won't be heading to Ryans though - middle child's birthday is tomorrow and she's having 10 girlies over to the house on Saturday afternoon for dvds and pizza - great fun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Younganne wrote: »
    Good luck on Saturday, here hoping we get to meet after

+1, good luck and maybe see you there. Although it'll be a long time after by the time I finish :)

• Advertisement

It'd be great to meet up Anne, what are you aiming for? I won't be heading to Ryans though - middle child's birthday is tomorrow and she's having 10 girlies over to the house on Saturday afternoon for dvds and pizza - great fun :rolleyes:

Im hoping to get near enough to 1.50 in order to aim for 4hr for the big one, but beating 1.54 current PB, will do also......i'll keep an eye out for you i might recognise you from FB photos, we could be running side by side even!!!!!!

It'll be all quite so in your house:eek:, Niall Horan from One Direction's birthday today so they can dance to his music for the party and forget the DVDS!!;)

+1, good luck and maybe see you there. Although it'll be a long time after by the time I finish :)
    Banner... Bet you'll go faster than you are thinking you will;) listen to the "wise" auld wan

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

+1 good luck Rachel. Hopefully I'll see you there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Nothing now till Saturday and the Half in the park. Not too pushed about it tbh, will aim to get in under 2 hours, anything closer to 1:55 would be a bonus. Main aim is to try to hold MP for as long as possible, let's wait and see what happens shall we?;)

Hope to see you there Rachel. I'm hoping to do marathon pace too (so about 8:50 - 8:55 /mi, which would be just under 2 hours). Haven't decided whether to go toward the back of wave 2 or the start of wave 3 yet though. What's your plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Good luck Rach. Well done on lining up for the half after all you've been through lately. :)

Not too worried about this over the last few days, the plan was to try to run it at MP for as long as I could. MP for 4 hours is 9ish, so I thought if I could keep between 8:45 & 8:50, I'd be happy.

This morning, of course, the nerves set in. Got up early, had breakfast and made mistake no. 1 - non-decaf coffee. Since the migraine I've been back on the decaf tea and coffee, I find it helps reduce the likelihood of a second attack straight after the first. Of course I made full strength coffee and for a while couldn't work out why I was like a hen on a griddle. Mistake no. 2 was while getting dressed. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I left the bedroom and noticed that the shorts I've been wearing for the last 3 years gave me a camel toe (sorry if that's too much info folks :o) So, back to the wardrobe and on with a brand new pair of shorts, never been worn, tags still on. Mistake no 3 was not being able to find the immodium :eek:

Got to the park nice and early and wandered around for a while. Found Emer911 over with the pacers. It seemed we were running the same pace so we decided to keep each other company for a while. I told her I was waiting to see how I felt at 6 miles and would then decide to keep going at MP or slow down and jog/walk the rest of the way. We headed to the front of the 3rd wave - first time I've ever been at the front of a wave! Even though it was the 3rd one I still felt the need to hide behind rows of people, Emer wouldn't let me though. We spent the next few mins pointing out the people at the back of the 2nd wave we reckoned we'd be passing fairly soon.... and we did....

Off we went, nice clear road ahead. Our pace was steady enough down the Kyber, first mile 8:39. We were a bit worried we were too fast so pulled it back for the second - 9:03. Around mile 3 I started to feel a bit crap, legs were tired, head was not great. If I'd been on my own, I'd probably have walked and the day would've been ruined. Mile 3 8:42. Because I had company I kept going and got out of the funk. Emer kept me distracted by telling me about a book she's reading and all of a sudden we were at 4 miles - 8:58, then 5 miles - 8:38. Mile 6 was 8:59 and this was when I was going to reassess. No need to, felt ok, knew we were close to half way so just keep going was the message from head to legs. Mile 7 was 8:42, think this was just after Farmleigh and a nice little trot down Chesterfield ave followed. Mile 8 8:51, mile 9 8:43, mile 10 8:36. I knew there was a hill when we came back into the park but I also knew that even if I walked, I should still get a pb. Mile 11 was our slowest, 9:20, combination of hill and Emer getting a bad stitch. Mile 12 we pulled it back to 8:50 but Emer's stitch wasn't going away. But she breathed and breathed and got through it, we knew we weren't far at that stage. Mile 13 9:05. I kept saying, nearly there, half a mile, 500m, we're so close. And sure enough we were. I had it in my head that we had one more hill but we didn't so we pegged it over the line as quick as we could. Last bit was done at 7:40 pace:) 13.19 miles in 1:56:37, avg pace 8:50.

Really really happy with this morning's run. The aim was to hold MP or close to MP for as long as possible, and we did that. It was great running with Emer, so much easier than running on my own - if I'd been on my own, there would have been walking and sadness :rolleyes: Maybe we should revisit this arrangement on Oct 29?? Off now to look after 10 screaming girlies with DVDs and pizza, happy out :)

Well done Rachel super run!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running missus. Well done.

Great running today. I hope the afternoon went as well for you!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Great day for you! Congratulations! :D

Advertisement