Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good stuff Rachel, congrats on the PB. Hope the sugar crash after yesterday hasn't hit you too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks folks, still delighted :) Party went grand yesterday, girls were all v civilised. A bit of screaming when One Direction came on the telly, but that was it. So not too stressful at all.

This morning legs were v tired and heavy. Plan was for 6 easy miles, actual was 5.2 miles in just under 52 mins - very easy running ;) 2nd part of birthday weekend later on this afternoon, all the family are coming down, I'm already knackered :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Thanks for the company yesterday Rachel and thanks for sticking with me at the end (though you REALLY should have flaked off and got under the 1:55 - you looked very strong)

Roll on DCM now. :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great running Rachel, congrats on another pb :) Sets you up nicely for the marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done on a super run Rach:D
    I hope you threw the camel-toe shorts in the bin in case they make an appearance on the morning of DCM:)

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Plan: 4 miles
    Actual: 4.27 miles in 38 mins
    Went straight from the school to do this one. And forgot garmin, d'oh. So used mapmyrun on the phone for this. Couldn't check the pace though so was quicker than intended.

Wednesday:
    Plan: 7 miles
    Actual: 7.1 miles in 1:08:09
    Had to go into town and get a run in, so did both together. From my house to Easons in O'Connell Street is 2.5 miles and I had to do 7, so I went the long way there :) Got my miles done and got The Boy's books for school, happy days.

Thursday:
    Plan: 4 miles w/400s
    Actual: 4.05 miles in 34:28
    Legged it out the door because I had to get back for my last b12 injection. Managed to change the garmin from miles to kms but never checked what pace I should be running the 400s. So did a very quick mental calculation and decided if I ran them around 4:10/km, I'd be ok.
    So plan was for 1.4k warmup, 5 x 400 with 200 recovery, and cooldown.
    400 times were 1:40, 1:37, 1:40, 1:38, 1:41, which means I was doing them at 6:40 - 6:50/mile pace, a bit quicker than I thought! I was fairly knackered after them, the recovery was needed. Anyway it's done, hallelujah.
    Had a bit of a garmin panic when I got home. Wouldn't charge, wouldn't connect, wouldn't turn on. AAAAH! Opened it up for a look, full of dust and dirt. So cleaned it as gently as possible, and hey presto, it's working again. But... I think it may be time to get a new one. It was second hand when I got it 3 years ago, so maybe it's time to say goodbye and move on :( Quite like the look of these new girlie FR10's - might investigate further. It's my birthday soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

racheljev wrote: »
    Had a bit of a garmin panic when I got home. Wouldn't charge, wouldn't connect, wouldn't turn on. AAAAH! Opened it up for a look, full of dust and dirt. So cleaned it as gently as possible, and hey presto, it's working again. But... I think it may be time to get a new one. It was second hand when I got it 3 years ago, so maybe it's time to say goodbye and move on :( Quite like the look of these new girlie FR10's - might investigate further. It's my birthday soon....

Hey Rachel, just to say about the Garmins I also got mine second hand and it too is a few years old now. And likewise I've had a few issues with it over the last year but it somehow always seems to return to full operations.
    So, I'd hold off on buying the new watch til it's kaput for a week or two, unless of course you just want to go shopping for the hell of it!:D

Plan: 16 miles
    Actual: 16.16 miles in 2:30:28

First proper long run in ages, yay! Up and out early for this, as usual - on the road by 8 a.m. I was contemplating laps in case of tummy troubles, but it's too easy to bale out early if feeling crap. So the plan was to run out till I hit 8 miles and then run back. And that's what I did. I ran from my house to Sutton, via Raheny, and then back again. The good thing about this was that I had to face uphills on the way home, on tired legs. And they were fine :) I brought a few jelly babies with me and took one every 1.6 miles - think I need to take a few more though. Tummy behaved impeccably. Legs got a bit tired and heavy around 10 miles but I was on the way back at that stage so I knew it'd be ok. For the last two miles, even though they had the bit of uphill, I increased the pace to see if I could handle it - last two miles were 9:09 & 9:03. Pace was fairly consistent at the start (9:25ish) but got slightly faster as the run went on. All in all very happy with that one. 20 planned for next Saturday but have a wedding to go to, so will try and get it done on Thursday/Friday instead. 6 miles tomorrow to finish a decent enough week. Happy out :)

Sunday:
    5.2 miles instead of 6, legs very tired and heavy. Knackered, end of.

Tuesday:
    Plan was for 4 mile tempo. Ended up doing 4.6 miles in 38:54 - warmup mile of 9:08, then 8:29, 8:11, 0.6 mile @ 8:09 pace, and final cooldown mile. Enjoyed this one, legs felt much better.

Wednesday:
    Had to get out early for this one - bringing Middle Girl's class swimming this morning. 6:20a.m. and out the door into the deluge. Holy crap it was wet out there. Plan was for 7 miles, ended up with 7.3 in 67:47. Got so many mad looks from people on their way to work. At least the luminous top from the Samsung 10k came in handy. Squelched home just in time to get the kids out of bed and ready for school. Despite the weather, I managed to keep fairly decent mile times for first thing in the morning, so happy with that one. Ok, off to shepherd 32 10yr olds in and out of a swimming pool, yay me :rolleyes:

Plan: 20 miles
    Actual: 19.3 miles in 3:00:36

Had to do Saturday's run today because we're going to a wedding on Sat. Found this a bit tough if I'm honest. First 10 miles were grand because of course I had the wind behind me. As soon as I turned in Howth, bam. The wind hit me and it was in my face the whole way home. I tried as hard as possible to keep up a steady pace but the way back was a lot slower than the way out (Out: 9:14, Back 9:30) And I'm a bit disappointed I didn't hit the full 20 but to be perfectly honest I'm knackered. At least that's one long run done. Phew :)

• Advertisement

Plan: Rest
    Actual: 5.3 recovery miles

Legs felt a bit DOMS-y today after yesterday's lsr, so decided to go out for a nice slow run, just to get the muscles moving. Pace was slightly quicker than intended but legs felt much better after it. A bit of stretching and sticking this evening, and I'll be grand. Plan is for another few easy miles tomorrow, and then take Sunday and Monday as rest days - wedding tomorrow so will need recovery time on Sunday :) Just checked my mileage as well, and if I do any more than 2.6 miles tomorrow, I'll have finally broken 1000 for the year - a week earlier than last year, yay :)

Actual: 4.6 miles in 43:23

Did Thursday's miles today. Nothing major to report, a nice straight forward run. I used the pace buddy thingy on the new garmin to try it out, no big problems. Only thing worth mentioning is I passed the 1000 mile mark after 2.4 miles :D A week earlier than last year and it would have been closer to the start of September, except for the tonsilitis and b12 setbacks. Off out soon to a wedding, so taking tomorrow and Monday off. Happy days :)

Congrats on the 1000 miles.
    Enjoy the rest days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ticking along nicely for DCM there Rachel and congrats on the 1000 mile mark. Have fun with the hangover in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the 1000miles. Enjoy the wedding!

Plan: 4 miles, with 800s
    Actual: 5.75 miles in 49:36, 5x800s

Had to psych myself up for this one, due to my hatred of 00s. I was going to head to the nearby park but I knew the boredom of running around it 10 times would drive me off my rocker. So onto the roads I went. Plan was warmup mile, then 800 @ 7:10-7:20 mile pace, followed by 400 recovery, times 5, cooldown mile - yahoo :rolleyes:

Mile 1 was 9:27. 800s were as follows: 3:33 (7:06 pace), 3:33, 3:37 (7:08 pace), 3:33, 3:42 (7:24 pace :mad:). 400 recovery were all around 2:30. Last mile cooldown was 9:35.

Fairly happy with the session. Stopped after rep 2 & 4 to stretch as calf felt mad tight. Also 2 & 4 were into the wind, which made them difficult. The last rep was awful because half of it was uphill and the 2nd half, while downhill, was into what felt like a howling wind - very glad when that one was over :rolleyes: All in all, not a bad one considering how much I hated it :D

Plan: 7 miles
    Actual: 7 miles in 66 mins

Up and out before 6 this morning - had to bring The Boy to the orthodontist so wasn't sure if I'd have enough time to get the run in. Set the alarm for 6 but woke up around 4:30 and couldn't go back asleep. Eventually gave up and hit the road at 5:55 - with any luck my noisy neighbour wasn't looking over as I retrieved my garmin from the bin :rolleyes:

It was shockin' windy, which kept the pace steady for the first 3 miles. Then I turned around and sped up a little bit, but not too much - I'm trying to use the pace buddy yoke on the watch to keep as steady as possible. Back home just after 7, I always feel fierce smug when the run is over as early as that :D

Actual: 10 miles in 1:33:29

Yeah, kinda didn't follow the plan today :o But... there was a method in my madness. Plan was 4 today, rest tomorrow, then 18ish Saturday, 6 Sunday. However, JcsMum is pacing the Athlone 3/4 marathon on Sunday, got a free place, offered it around and I took it :) So plan revised slightly. I was still intending to do 4-6 today but as my mind wandered, I thought - hmmm, do an extra few today and take two rest days before Sunday... might just work. So I just kept running till I hit 10. I may do a mile or two on Saturday, just to loosen legs.

Sort of looking forward to Sunday - not sure what pace to try, might try to hang on to the 4hr pacers for as long as possible. Will decide on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have fun on Sunday!! And best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Just catching up on your log now and I'm delighted to see things are moving along splendidly for your attack on DCM:D
    Enjoy Sunday, tough course but super prep for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

racheljev wrote: »

Sort of looking forward to Sunday - not sure what pace to try, might try to hang on to the 4hr pacers for as long as possible. Will decide on the day :)

Enjoy Sunday. You will have no problem hanging onto the 4hr pacers because they are pacing at 110% on MP for the first third and 105% for the remaining two thirds, so are going no faster than 9:40/mile (you are doing Athlone 3/4 right?)
    They are pacing to LSR pace not actual race pace....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Sunday Rachel. That's one race I've wanted to do for a while. It will be great prep for Dublin.

Plan was to rest yesterday and today. But woke up this morning and it was far too nice not to have a quick run, so legged it around the block for a handy 2 miles in 18 mins. Tried out the new shorts as well, they feel very comfy if a teeny bit too big. OH says they make me look nerdy but kids are impressed with how much sh** I'll be able to get into the pockets :D May give them a run out tomorrow in Athlone. Looking forward to this now - even if it goes badly it'll still be a decent long run for Dublin. That's my only real worry now - I don't have enough long endurance runs. Ah well, something to obsess about during taper...

best of luck tomorrow Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Enjoy Athlone and give the shorts a good run out.
    You say they are a bit too big, does that mean they are bad fitting sizewise or are you kinda between 2 sizes. I'm thinking of getting a pair but not sure which size to get as i'm between 2 sizes:confused:

Younganne wrote: »
    Enjoy Athlone and give the shorts a good run out.
    You say they are a bit too big, does that mean they are bad fitting sizewise or are you kinda between 2 sizes. I'm thinking of getting a pair but not sure which size to get as i'm between 2 sizes:confused:

I ordered the medium and I prob should have ordered the small. It said on the website that the shorts were small fitting so I ordered up accordingly :rolleyes: they're grand, v comfy and there's a draw string so ill just tighten them up :)

Just having breakfast before I head to athlone, bit nervous as usual. Keep telling myself its just a long run, no panic. See you on the other side :)

Just back from Athlone. Wow, cannot praise this race enough. Brilliant organisation;loads of (bottled) water, fruit, sweets at water tables; massages after if you were prepared to queue; baggage storage and a pleasantly tough course - all you could ask for in a race :) Initially intended to stick with Jcsmum and Aimman the whole way round, they were running at 9:40ish pace. Met up with CareerMove at the start and had a chat with her, and we didn't stop talking for the next 18 or so miles :D It was brilliant running with someone, it helped so much. I was grand for 10-12 miles. We'd pulled away from the 4 hr people because it was quite congested and I was terrified I was going to hit the deck. Our pace was nice and steady too, around 9:33. From 13/14 I started to feel a bit dodgy, stomach cramping, legs a bit heavy. But we kept going (even though I moaned - a lot :rolleyes:) The hills in the last few miles were quite difficult, especially the ones where you thought you were hitting the top, and then turned the corner to see it went on... and on... Just after 18 I gave in a little to the demons in my head and walked for a few metres. CM was trying to pull me on but I told her to go on, I'd catch up if I could. I started to jog again and I got to the top (I didn't slow down for that long, that mile came in at 10:12 while the others came in at 9:35 avg). Finished in 3:08:10 which I was delighted with.

So, with the benefit of a 135km drive home to think about it all, I reckon I'm probably not really ready for sub4 in DCM. I just don't think the endurance is there. It's possible that I could go for sub4 and blow up badly. So I reckon I might try and target 4:10, which would be a 10min pb. Of course, when taper madness hits, reason and logic could fling themselves out of the window ;) It's still 3 weeks away, time to get in another 15-16 mile lsr which will probably make me reassess again. Oooh the joys of indecision :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks for the company today rachel. It was a lot of fun and I didn't notice the miles flying by with all the chat :D

(I really think I could have got you up that hill......more aggressive tactics were needed though....next time I'm going start screaming at you to HTFU :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What's the absolute worst that could happen? You've raced marathons before, you know it's going to get tough at some stage anyway, and you know that even if it gets really bad you'll still be able to finish. On marathon day you'll be rested, focused, you won't be treating it as half-race, half-training run.
    So why not go for a real goal instead of playing it safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel. You looked so comfortable and relaxed all the way round, from what I could see (and hear! :D).
    I'm kinda with Ray on this one, I do think sub 4 is in you. Yesterday's course was a tough one and pretty difficult to maintain an even pace as for that hill at mile 18!!!! :eek:
    Delighted you enjoyed the day.

Advertisement