Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again Rachel, it was nice to meet you yesterday! You can't claim the title of slowest boardsie however...that is all mine..:D Well done on a good race and great training in general recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Excellent time Rachel, well done on the new PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Zumba class last night, great fun and loads of hidden exercise. Today, not so much. Great intentions of going out for a 5 mile run first thing this morning but a combination of a sick middle child and a younger child with bad dreams meant no sleep at all from about 4.30ish - and middle child had been up and down from 11 p.m. before that. So when the alarm went at 5.55 I couldn't move. And because middle child is off school with whatever virus she has, means I can't go out now for a run. So, did about an hour of cardio and core work - bless youtube and the previously not-very-much-used ab king pro! Definitely, definitely going out tomorrow morning, no matter what...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Ah, sure you have to love it - sometimes life just gets in the way! :D

Hope the wee ones let Mammy get some sleep tonight? Difficult to run when you're that wrecked.

Got out this morning as promised. 6.3 miles in 60 mins. Daughter slept better - only up twice - but still not great, so watching her through the night meant I was wide awake when the alarm went off. Soooo tempting to just turn over and try to sleep but gave myself a kick in the a$$ and headed out. Glad it's done now :) Same again tomorrow hopefully.

• Advertisement

Jeez it's windy out there. 5.1 miles in 46:55, and at least half of that felt like it was into a frickin wind tunnel. Of course the advantage of fighting the wind is that, when it stops or changes direction, I was absolutely flying (for me!) Avg pace was 9:12 which is lower than normal for a 6 a.m. run. Felt good to get out this morning, missed yesterday cos of sick daughter, just did my hour of cardio and core at home instead. At least I got out - this week's mileage isn't good at all, really need to get a good lsr done tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

racheljev wrote: »
    Jeez it's windy out there. 5.1 miles in 46:55, and at least half of that felt like it was into a frickin wind tunnel. Of course the advantage of fighting the wind is that, when it stops or changes direction, I was absolutely flying (for me!) Avg pace was 9:12 which is lower than normal for a 6 a.m. run. Felt good to get out this morning, missed yesterday cos of sick daughter, just did my hour of cardio and core at home instead. At least I got out - this week's mileage isn't good at all, really need to get a good lsr done tomorrow.

Some of us haven't been out since Tuesday cos of the wind :o

:eek: - run and 6 a.m. do not even go in the same sentence for me, let alone adding a 9:12 pace to that! Impressed!

20 miles in 3:16:34 - yahoo, a 20 is finally under my belt! Had the usual gymnastics/gaa/childminding dilemmas this morning so went out early, just after 6. Brought the glucose tablets with me to give them a go (thanks RubyK!) and they seemed to work - no dodgy tummy and a bit of a boost every now and again. Miles 1 to 13 were grand, had a bit of a head melt on 14 but ran through it and kept going till 17 when I had to take a 30sec walk break going up a hill, and another one about 5 mins later. Grand again till 18 when I thought I was going to puke. Perfect the rest of the way. So so glad that's done and dusted. I've a couple of 17's and an 18 done but I really wanted the 20 for safety. Will try another one next Saturday but won't be too fazed if I don't get the full 20 done, once I get close enough. Then it'll be taper time...:eek: Had my first marathon dream last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done rachel, an here's me reading this before I go out for My Long Run!!
    Don't worry about those walking breaks, there are apparently no hills in Barcelona.

• Advertisement

Today is the second anniversary of me starting to try to run, so what better way to celebrate than a nice 5.2 miles first thing this morning. 5.2 miles in 48:56. Very cold and a bit slippy out there. Did the first 3 miles at a reasonable pace - between 9:29 & 9:38 - and then went a bit quicker for the final two - 9:16 and 9:13. Didn't run on Sunday because my right knee was quite sore after Saturday's 20, and yesterday was Zumba class. Hopefully this is a decent week, last one before taper. Although the omens aren't good - smallest child now has whatever middle child had and is running a temp of 102 at the minute, so she's off school now... What are the odds I get whatever it is just before we head to Barcelona....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great going on the 20 miler at the weekend racheljev! I'm glad the glucose sweets agreed with you.

Hopefully, whatever bug the little ones have will clear up, and by-pass you!

Happy 2nd running anniversary :)

7.4 miles in 69:33. Another early one - smallest girl still off school so out before 6. Did first two easy enough, picked up pace for middle 3 and then slowed down a bit for last 2.4. Fastest mile 9:12, slowest 9:37. Very rainy which is grand until it stops and you realise how wet you are and how much wet clothes chafe...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

7.4 miles in 69:33. Another early one - smallest girl still off school so out before 6. Did first two easy enough, picked up pace for middle 3 and then slowed down a bit for last 2.4. Fastest mile 9:12, slowest 9:37. Very rainy which is grand until it stops and you realise how wet you are and how much wet clothes chafe...:rolleyes:

respect :)

You're flying it at the moment girl. Serious kudos for your dedication to training. No way I'd be able to get up and out for a run at 6am! :eek:

You'll power around Barca!

Another early one - up and out at 6 a.m., jeez I'm wiped out now.... 4.7 miles in 44:08. When the alarm went off, I wasn't going to get up because smallest girl was ok last night and was going to school this morning. Then I thought, right I'm awake, just get up and do it. And sure enough, smallest girl still sick - temp of 102 and coughing up phlegm as well... It's all glamour. Legs felt a bit heavy this morning and left leg a teeny tiny bit on the sore side as well, so lots of stretches today, rest day tomorrow (with a bit of core and cardio) and hopefully 18-20 on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Another early one - up and out at 6 a.m., jeez I'm wiped out now.... 4.7 miles in 44:08. When the alarm went off, I wasn't going to get up because smallest girl was ok last night and was going to school this morning. Then I thought, right I'm awake, just get up and do it. And sure enough, smallest girl still sick - temp of 102 and coughing up phlegm as well... It's all glamour. Legs felt a bit heavy this morning and left leg a teeny tiny bit on the sore side as well, so lots of stretches today, rest day tomorrow (with a bit of core and cardio) and hopefully 18-20 on Saturday.

Hi Rachel, I just did another morning run (my second in two weeks) and I really find them tough. Any tips? do you normally eat before your runs?

Sorry Meno, no tips apart from get up and get out! I don't have anything to eat: if I eat something, I'll have to wait too long before I can get moving. A few times I've had a bite of a banana but that's it. I always find I'm slower first thing in the morning, and it's definitely harder to do intervals or anything speed-ish. But the big advantage of going out so early is that I can get back into bed for 10 mins to warm myself back up before hooshing the babas from their beds!

18 miles in 2:52:59. Today was tough, it felt much harder than last week's 20. For starters, not much sleep last night - middle child went to gymnastics and came out with a busted nose, she kneed herself in the middle of a flip rollout thingy. Blood everywhere. I had just arrived to collect her and saw the move. It was a brilliant move, coach delighted until blood started to flow.... Anyway, one of the other parents is a doc and looked her over - nose not broken, just badly bruised and swollen. But when she went to bed, I was afraid bleeding would start again so I was in and out of her room all night making sure she was okay. Also my left shin and calf have been quite sore for the last few days. Did a tennis ball massage yesterday and it really frickin hurt. Have a sports massage booked for Wednesday. Anyway, long story short, I was knackered for this morning's run. Every mile was hard fought and won. Would have really liked another 20 but shin and calf were very sore and I just couldn't push it, not today. So I have 2 17's, 2 18's and a 20 done. Will decide tomorrow whether to go out for another 8 or so, depends on how shin feels - really don't want to push it this close to Barca. Next week's lsr is "just" 12 and then it's taper time, baby!

18 miles in 2:52:59. Today was tough, it felt much harder than last week's 20. For starters, not much sleep last night - middle child went to gymnastics and came out with a busted nose, she kneed herself in the middle of a flip rollout thingy. Blood everywhere. I had just arrived to collect her and saw the move. It was a brilliant move, coach delighted until blood started to flow.... Anyway, one of the other parents is a doc and looked her over - nose not broken, just badly bruised and swollen. But when she went to bed, I was afraid bleeding would start again so I was in and out of her room all night making sure she was okay. Also my left shin and calf have been quite sore for the last few days. Did a tennis ball massage yesterday and it really frickin hurt. Have a sports massage booked for Wednesday. Anyway, long story short, I was knackered for this morning's run. Every mile was hard fought and won. Would have really liked another 20 but shin and calf were very sore and I just couldn't push it, not today. So I have 2 17's, 2 18's and a 20 done. Will decide tomorrow whether to go out for another 8 or so, depends on how shin feels - really don't want to push it this close to Barca. Next week's lsr is "just" 12 and then it's taper time, baby!

Ouch! Sounds painful. My young one does gym too and I know a few of the Mums just hate watching for fear of falls / wrenches/ bangs. Sure it's all par for the course I guess? We get muscle pulls running, they get bloody noses/ hands/ heads... (I know which one I'd prefer :p)
    Still, if they love it and get a kick out of it (excuse the pun :D) we have to support them in it. Better then having them stuck in front of the telly box all day?

Take care of your niggles. You're in flying form. Best of luck with the 'just' 12 miles next week;) and the taper (madness) to follow.

• Advertisement

No run yesterday, left shin quite sore - similar to how it felt last August when I ignored it and kept running and ended up with stress fracture :(. So sense prevailed and I didn't run. Went to gym today for bit of cross training - 3.5 miles on cross trainer and 8.2 miles on bike. Shin ok but very wary of overdoing it and ruining Barcelona. Might go out in the morning but will be taking it very easy. Physio booked for Wednesday morning.

No run yesterday, left shin quite sore - similar to how it felt last August when I ignored it and kept running and ended up with stress fracture :(. So sense prevailed and I didn't run. Went to gym today for bit of cross training - 3.5 miles on cross trainer and 8.2 miles on bike. Shin ok but very wary of overdoing it and ruining Barcelona. Might go out in the morning but will be taking it very easy. Physio booked for Wednesday morning.

Crap, I hope you're ok. Please take it easy on run and good luck with physio.

5 miles in 48:28. A reassuring run. Leg still sore, but it's definitely calf rather than shin. The pain is different to last year as well - definitely more muscular. It almost feels like there's something pinching the muscle and pain comes and goes, rather than all the time. I reckon the physio massage tomorrow will do it good. I'm still a bit of a lunatic though - I read on the internet last year (where else :rolleyes:) that if you can hop on the sore leg, it's muscular; if you can't, it's prob fracture. Last year I couldn't hop, now I can. So, to keep checking it's ok, I'm hopping around the kitchen to prove that I can. Anyone who can see into our kitchen window (in other words, most of the houses at the back of us) must think I'm a frickin mad woman. I don't care of course - once I can still hop, I'm happy! Long story short, 5 slowish but reassuring miles.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Glad to hear that Rach. As someone re injured again (exact same time as last year too), I'm glad to hear that run went okay and its calf rather than shin.

4.25 miles in 42 mins. Very slow this morning, nothing in the tank at all. Legs felt like lead and left calf felt tight and sore. Off to physio for massage and assessment this morning, hopefully all ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the Physio today. I hope it's all thumbs up and you don't bruise like a peach like I did! ;)

Just back from physio. Pain is definitely muscle rather than bone, and she's happy it's not shin splints, just a mad tight muscle causing the problem. She massaged the bejeezus out of it - holy crap, it's sore now... She gave me some new stretches and told me to use ice and heat, and all should be okay. Phew!:)

Just back from physio. Pain is definitely muscle rather than bone, and she's happy it's not shin splints, just a mad tight muscle causing the problem. She massaged the bejeezus out of it - holy crap, it's sore now... She gave me some new stretches and told me to use ice and heat, and all should be okay. Phew!:)

Great to hear Rachel, enjoy the stretching!

5 miles in 45 mins exactly. Didn't go out first thing - when the alarm went off and I looked out the window, I couldn't see as far as the garden below with the fog. Dark, I can cope with. Fog, I can cope with. But not together... So waited till after the school run for my 5 miles. Thought I'd do a bit of tempo so miles were 9:12, 9:01, 8:58, 8:51 and 8:58. Leg muscle still sore but not too much. Did my stretches yesterday and plan to keep doing them today. Rest day tomorrow and then last lsr on Saturday - somewhere between 12 and 14 hopefully.

• Advertisement

13 horrible crappy miles in 2:04:44. That was up there with the worst runs I've ever done. Leg hurt, hip hurt and stomach in shreds - barely got back in the door before horrible things happened. From the first few steps I knew it was going to be a slog, just get the bloody miles done. Kept up a reasonable pace and got up and down some hilly bits but still a horrible horrible 2 hours. Feel like I'm about to burst into tears if anyone looks at me crooked. Not the last lsr I wanted before Barca, very disheartened. Off to ice my stupid leg and stupid hip, and buy Imodium in bulk.:(

Advertisement