Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck Rachel, and nail that sub4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

racheljev wrote: »
    Tuesday:
    Had to get up early because middle child still sick. 3 miles in 29 mins, nothing too report.
    QUOTE]

I'm assuming that child is still sleeping in the garden shed until after Monday! Have a great run sub 4 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Best of luck on Monday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck on Monday Rachel. Just enjoy yourself and don't panic about the goals and the pace - it'll all come together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks for the nice messages folks, really appreciate it. Getting verrry nervous now...

Did my last run this morning. It was supposed to be tomorrow but I wanted 2 clear rest days so today it was. Did a trial run of my gear for Monday as well - shorts, tshirt, socks, the whole kit and kaboodle. And holy crap, it was freezing. Did 3.1 miles in 25:50 (last mile 7:56 :eek:) because I was so cold and I just wanted to get home. Taper madness came nicely to a point during the miles. Example: Felt a twinge in my thigh - normal me said, ah that's ok, it's just because I jumped up the kerb. Taper me said, AAAAH! it's a strain, I'm f***ed! I sneezed 3 times in a row - normal me said, I'm snuffly because it's very cold today. Taper me said, AAAAH! It's the flu, I'm f***ed! I saw about 4 magpies during the run - each time normal me said, there's a magpie. Taper me said, AAAAH! Quick, salute them or it's bad luck, or else make them fly because one in flight is better than two in sight! Honestly taper me is really wrecking my head :p So if anyone was in the Marino/Fairview area this morning and saw a freezing cold female runner, muttering to herself while apparently saluting dead air, it was me :o

I've completely wrecked my own head about times and paces for Monday. I looked back a few pages on this log and read about when I entered for the marathon and I was all "oh I don't care what time i do, it'll be grand, I'll just be having a nice long run on the bank holiday" Ha, I wish I'd stayed like that. The sub4 question has me driven demented. I keep muttering to myself, "9:09 miles will bring me in at 3:59, but only if I run 26.2 exactly, so that's not going to help, I need to print a pace band for 3:57, which would be 9:04 miles, but is that enough, etc etc etc". I really need to persuade my head that my legs can run these times. The sooner the better Monday actually arrives and I can give it a go.

Off to the expo tomorrow to collect my number and no doubt be suckered in to buy things I don't need at prices I can't afford - can't wait ;) In the meantime, I'm readyish. Clothes ready, gels ready, immodium ready, all sorted. I probably won't be on here too much in the next day or so in case it makes me worse than I already am. So hopefully, see you all Monday with nice shiny pb's in our back pockets. Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The very, very best to you Rachel!! I'll be pulling like mad for you to get your sub 4 that you so deserve...but if you for some reason you don't get that sub 4, then we'll blame the pacers. We'll need their names so we can shame them publicly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Monday ..... and breath :). Bit of home decorating to calm the nervers. Where will you hang that sub 4 finishers certificate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck Rachel....hopefully see you at the start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll be grand. Just follow those 4 hour balloons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Maybe a relaxing massage,the proper one, tomorrow, would do you the world of good tomorrow afterall.....:D

I’m with you on trying towork out pace, today i worked out, 26.5m @ 9.00 min exactly will do nicely, Ithink that’s 3.58.30, can’t remember exactly,:o I know its just under 4hrs....

I keep telling myself thatif the sub 4 doesn’t work out then i don’t really mind, after all my PB is 4.27so that would be a big jump, but then I go and have that dream about all my teethfalling out :eek: and that just shows that it means more to me that I am tellingmyself, but its ourselves we are trying to beat and once we do our best on theday there is nothing more we can do.
    we’ll probably be near enoughto each other during the race. I’m planning on going to the back of the groupbehind the pacers and just using them as a guide, with the aim of finishingwith or near them or if at all possible just in front of then.
    Having said all that Iwish you the very best of luck and hope it goes fantastically well for you onthe day. Hopefully see you to celebrate inMcGrattans after!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I have a pace band printed at 9 min miles. Works out as 3:56.
    I've also calculated that even if the garmin goes to 26.7, the 9min miles will still get me in under 4 hours. :cool:

...so 9 mins all the way (hopefully :p)

Best of luck. Might see you Monday?

Emer911 wrote: »
    I have a pace band printed at 9 min miles. Works out as 3:56.
    I've also calculated that even if the garmin goes to 26.7, the 9min miles will still get me in under 4 hours. :cool:

...so 9 mins all the way (hopefully :p)

Best of luck. Might see you Monday?

Emer,Great minds think alike;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Monday Rach - you've done some great training sub 4 is a realistic goal for you. You CAN do it. Hopefully see you at mile 9. Look out for me after that hill after Donore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Best of luck on Monday Rach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

You can do it!!!!! Best of luck Rachel. Cant wait to come on here in a few days to hear all about that sub4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow, Enjoy. No Bother after the Athlone outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck Rachel...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Fingers crossed for you Rachel!

Headed into Merrion Square early this morning - was in there just after 7:30. Loads of time to use the bathroom twice or ten times :D Met up with Emer and Krusty just after 8, and Emer and I headed up towards the start area. We were confident (well Emer was) but nervous (well I was ;)). Met Younganne and Lizzie C at the start line as well, Boards heaven out there.

Got started in wave 2, took just over a minute to get over the start line. First mile was completely chocabloc, took ages to get moving. Miles 2 & 3 were slightly better. Emer and I were fairly calm at this point, we knew we had a bit of time to make up but we were going to do it a bit at a time. My gang were on Parnell Square which gave me an early boost. Mam & Dad were further up North Circular Road, sister and brother in law up there as well - my family were very well represented in the early miles. We hit the park and all was going well...Until... disaster. Emer felt something go in her calf. We stopped, she tried to stretch but she couldn't put her foot on the ground. She told me to go, I said no, we waited another bit, she told me to GO. So I did - and felt like a total cow for the rest of the race. For the next mile or so, I kept looking over my shoulder to see if she was trying to catch up, I even went into the toilet at the water stop for 30 secs to waste some time. But I couldn't see her.

Got through the park ok but time was down a bit with the stop and toilet break. Tried to make it up a little bit at a time. I thought about trying to catch the 4 hr pacers - I could see the flags ahead, but I reckoned it'd take too much out of me to get up to them, so decided to make my own way instead. When we came out of the park I saw another friend who gave me a big shout out and another boost. Saw RQ not long after and tried to tell her Emer should be behind me. The two hills around here were slightly tougher than I thought they were going to be, but I was still doing ok. I was trying a gel every 5 or so miles - lost one right at the start so I was a bit restricted. But still doing ok.

Fairly uneventful from here till halfway - felt ok, pace ok, but still slightly off 4 hour pace. Hit halfway around 2:02 and thought it might be a struggle to make up time in the second half. And it was :rolleyes:

Around mile 12 my stomach started to roll. It was still under the radar in terms of disturbance but I was noticing it. Saw RayCun about 15 miles I think and told him I was f**ked (apologies Ray for using bad language in front of your lovely children :o) At mile 16, wheels fell off. Had to stop twice to be violently ill, threw up everything inside me and it wasn't pretty. I was stopped for about 90 secs in total. Now, this has happened to me before and I gave up. This time, I decided I wasn't going to give up. In fact I took one of the isogels that was given out at 17.5/18 to try to get something back inside me. Time was slowly slipping away because stomach was still rolling but I was coping with it by walking briskly every now and again for 20 secs so I could breathe deeply. Got past Clonskeagh Road and Roebuck Road - which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be - finally, something good! I started to feel better and just kept moving. Got to Stillorgan road and knew that I was going to be ok. Up and over the UCD flyover was really cool, loved it. So many people were cheering and roaring, the atmosphere was fantastic.

Down by RTE and around Beggars Bush, still feeling fairly ok. Past the RDS. Stomach rolling a little bit but doing ok. I had an idea the gang would be around Grand Canal so I made sure I'd have a smile on my face and a spring in my step when I passed them - and I did :) The last few miles were just brilliant, the crowd were awesome, I honestly had a smile on my face for the last bit. Got to Pearse Street and felt nice and strong. Pushed it as much as I could for the last bit to try and break 4:10. As I got into the last few hundred metres I could see the clock and the wave 2 clock was reading 4:08. I knew there was about a minute on it when I started so I knew 4:07 was there. Finished in 4:07:23 :)

My moving time according to the Garmin was 4:04 so 3 mins were used trying to see if Emer was ok, using the loo and puking my guts up. So I could have broken 4:05. But honestly, I'm really very happy with my day. Even with the puking, I didn't have the mini-breakdown I've had in previous marathons. I didn't give up and drop my head when I hit half way and guessed I wouldn't break 4 hours. And I took 13 mins off my previous pb and almost an hour off my last DCM time (but in mitigation, when I did DCM in 2009 I was less than a week over the flu :rolleyes:) I'm a little bit disappointed that I didn't break 4 but I'll get over it. All in all, a great day - I can honestly say I enjoyed my marathon today (except for the vomit ;))

A few days rest ahead and then I'll do Hal Higdon's marathon recovery program. Not sure what's next, will wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great run. It is very tough to re group when the wheels come of - so great job to retrieve a fine run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Hi Rachel I spotted you around mile 21 and I had no inkling of what you had been through as you looked very strong. Congrats on getting a PB under such difficult conditions - enjoy the celebrations!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

racheljev wrote: »
    Saw RayCun about 15 miles I think and told him I was f**ked

You didn't look it, really, you looked like you were gaining on those flags.
    Well done for picking yourself back up again after getting sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned but you made a fantastic recovery and finished with a great time. PB all the way....woohooo :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Way to go, Rachel!! :) Today's run should give you the confidence to know sub 4 is for your taking. Super report too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You did an amazing time for somebody who was sick along the way. You must have nerves of steel. Well done! :)

Congrats in the PB and on the win over the mental demon & vomit:eek: and well done on having the strenght to keep going. great meeting you at the start... sub 4 will be no bother to you next time. Now enjoy the Recovery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats Rach, that's a great time considering you were sick. Enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Fair fecks to you missus! Made of steel!
    It's funny you feeling bad when I was telling you to plug on - I felt terrible for holding you back and causing you to worry! Hopefully next time we can both finish unscathed! :rolleyes:

...next time... :confused:

After finishing on Monday and walking from Merrion Square to the top of Parnell Square back to the car, I was knackered and everything hurt. So not a tap was done all week (I say, not a tap, but of course I was up early on Tuesday to bring Middle Child to gym camp, and then had to do the household shopping - the trolley was the only thing holding me up...) Legs were grand and DOMS gone by Thursday. Waited until Saturday for a run, just to make sure all was ok. Did a handy enough 3.6 miles, just around the block. Legs felt quite heavy and could still feel the miles in them. Went out on Sunday for a slightly longer few miles,making sure to keep the pace nice and sloooow - 6 miles in 58 mins. This one felt better than the previous day's one but legs still quite tired.

So next on the agenda is the Jingle Bells 5k. It comes right at the end of Hal's marathon recovery plan so that's perfect. After that I reckon it'll probably be the Aware 10k, the New Year's day 5k and Raheny 5 in January. OH is already scoping out spring marathons for me to do (and him to get a weekend away :rolleyes:) The possibilities that were mentioned are Barcelona in March or Milan in April - of course it all depends on flights and costs, because apparently the children are coming this time (or so they've told me :D) Will have to wait and see....

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Plan: 3 miles, easy
    Actual: 3 miles in 26:55.
    Went out without garmin, did a 3 mile loop and ran by feel, used stopwatch on phone. Thought I was running easy enough, actually faster than expected - just under 9 min/mile pace

Wednesday
    Plan: 3 x 1 mile @ marathon pace.
    Actual: 5 miles in 44:36
    Warmup mile 9:33, then 8:39, 8:29, 8:36, cooldown mile 9:17
    Too fast this one, mp should've been closer to 9:05 (Actual mp of course was much slower on the day :rolleyes:) Constantly fighting the wind for this one, and I added in a couple of my dreaded uphill drags to see if I could keep a decent pace.

Thursday
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3.7 miles in 32:53
    Had to collect book for Smallest Girl, knew the shop was a bit under 2 miles from home so decided to run there and back. Put garmin on to record time and distance but didn't look at it. Was quite surprised that it was as fast (for me) as it was, honestly thought it was slower.

Not too bad a week so far, at least my running is going some way to use up the calories that I'm lashing into myself at a very quick pace. My body had obviously decided it's feeding itself up for the winter - I keep finding myself in front of the fridge thinking, how the hell did I get here, and now that I'm here, what do I want. Trying to fool myself with grapes and strawberries - ha, the body's not having any of that. It wants jelly beans and chocolates - good fat-making foods. I reckon I'll have to be rolled to the startline of the Jingle Bells 5k... will probably look like one of the hippos from Fantasia... or Ben Stiller at the end of Dodgeball...:eek:

Advertisement