Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

racheljev wrote: »

Not too bad a week so far, at least my running is going some way to use up the calories that I'm lashing into myself at a very quick pace. My body had obviously decided it's feeding itself up for the winter - I keep finding myself in front of the fridge thinking, how the hell did I get here, and now that I'm here, what do I want. Trying to fool myself with grapes and strawberries - ha, the body's not having any of that. It wants jelly beans and chocolates - good fat-making foods. I reckon I'll have to be rolled to the startline of the Jingle Bells 5k... will probably look like one of the hippos from Fantasia... or Ben Stiller at the end of Dodgeball...:eek:

I'm wondering how long I can use the 'but I've just done a marathon' excuse for my trips to the fridge/chocolate press. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Plan: 45-75 mins easy run
    Actual: 7.2 miles in 66:44

Needed a decent run this morning - yesterday was one of those days that goes on for about 47 hours, and I spent at least 46 of those hours eating, sooo glad when it was over. Got up this morning full of purpose and yesterday's sugar so decided to do about 7 miles. Dropped Middle child to gym and headed off. Quite cold to start with but warmed up nicely and managed a few reasonable miles (9:20-9:30ish). Decided to speed up a little bit for the last few before home and managed a 9:07 and 9:08 before hitting the house. Felt much better afterwards :)

30 min tempo run tomorrow, this week's total should be just over 20. Not particularly great but not bad for week 1 marathon recovery.

Sunday 11 Nov:
    Plan: 30 min tempo
    Actual: 3.8 miles in 32:22
    Fairly straightforward: mile warmup (9:21), 1.8 miles @ 7:36 pace, mile cooldown (9:34). Happy out.

Tuesday 13 Nov:
    Plan: 4 miles
    Actual: 4 miles in 37:48
    Very tired - The Boy was up on Sunday night/Monday morning with vomitting bug so no sleep that night. Then didn't sleep Monday night because I was afraid he was going to be sick again :rolleyes:. Left him in bed while I legged it out for 4 unexciting miles.

Wednesday 14 Nov:
    Plan: 3 x 1 @ 10k pace
    Actual: 5 miles in 42:17

Still tired from The Boy's vomitting and OH's alarm clock going off at 4:55 so he could fly to Sweden for the day :rolleyes:. Wasn't really sure about this until the warmup mile (9:24) was finished. 10k pace should be 7:50-8:00 for me at the minute - I was so tired that I told myself that if I could keep it around 8:05 I'd be happy. First mile 8:03 - took a while to get my legs moving. 2nd mile 7:48, 3rd mile 7:38 (bit of downhill at the end of the mile took a few seconds off). Cooldown mile home 9:24. Much happier now, decent session done :)

Sunday 11 Nov:
    Actual: 3.8 miles in 32:22
    Fairly straightforward: mile warmup (9:21), 1.8 miles @ 7:36 pace, mile cooldown (9:34). Happy out.

Tuesday 13 Nov:
    Actual: 4 miles in 37:48
    Very tired - The Boy was up on Sunday night/Monday morning with vomitting bug so no sleep that night. Then didn't sleep Monday night because I was afraid he was going to be sick again :rolleyes:. Left him in bed while I legged it out for 4 unexciting miles.

Wednesday 14 Nov:
    Plan: 3 x 1 @ 10k pace
    Actual: 5 miles in 42:17

Still tired from The Boy's vomitting and OH's alarm clock going off at 4:55 so he could fly to Sweden for the day :rolleyes:. Wasn't really sure about this until the warmup mile (9:24) was finished. 10k pace should be 7:50-8:00 for me at the minute - I was so tired that I told myself that if I could keep it around 8:05 I'd be happy. First mile 8:03 - took a while to get my legs moving. 2nd mile 7:48, 3rd mile 7:38 (bit of downhill at the end of the mile took a few seconds off). Cooldown mile home 9:24. Much happier now, decent session done :)

Nice session there Rach, well done.

Actual: 4.5 miles in 41:20

Miscalculated route slightly - followed a route that I thought was about 4 miles, trying not to use the garmin and run by feel every now and again. Used stopwatch on phone to run for 40 mins - got home at 41:20, mapmyrun'd it and it was 4.5 miles. Not too much drama, nice run, quite enjoyed it.

Found a core strengthening program in one of the running mags so started yesterday. There's an upper back/arms one as well so doing the two of them together. Even invested in a pair of (very light) weights - farewell bingo wings and flabby tummy :D Planning on doing the exercises after each run. Right now I have that lovely, slightly achy feeling you get after doing a bit of work. It will be followed later on, no doubt, by the "afraid to sneeze or cough in case my midriff explodes" feeling that normally follows too many stomach crunches ;)

• Advertisement

Plan: 60 - 90 mins run
    Actual: 9 miles in 82:56

Lovely lovely run this morning. Freezing cold at the start but warmed up nicely. Headed off in a different direction because I'm getting sick of running the same routes. Ended up doing a couple of decent uphill drags, one quite close to the end of the run. Pace crept up a bit in the middle, close enough to pmp for some of the miles - must. stop. doing. that. :o 35 min tempo tomorrow.

Plan: 35 min tempo
    Actual: 4.2 miles in 35:42

Ugh, this wasn't pretty. Very little sleep last night, so tempted to stay in bed when the alarm went off. But I knew I wouldn't get another chance to run today so out I went. Warmup mile 9:14, then tempo time. I really wasn't going to do the tempo bit but I fooled myself into running faster "until the next lamppost, until the next tree, until that red car" and by doing that, got 2.2 miles done (7:46, 7:47, 0.2 @ 7:50 pace). Cooldown mile home 9:18. Wasn't very nice but it got done. 26.7 miles for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice running there Rach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I am embarrassingly belated catching up on logs and Im sure it's a distant memory for you judging by your activity since, but may i wish you my biggest Congrats on DCM. With everything that was thrown at you you still ran a great race in a fantastic time. Is our annual Raheny 5 through next outing? :)

Tuesday:
    Plan: 5 miles
    Actual: 5.2 miles in 48:37
    Nothing to tell, grand run. Misjudged distance slightly so extra 0.2 miles done, yahoo :rolleyes:

Wednesday:
    Plan: 3 x 1 @ 5k pace
    Actual: 5 miles in 41:14
    I was dreading this one from the start of the program. And I didn't feel any better about it when I started running. Warmup mile 9:24. Then I tried to speed up. Legs felt very very heavy for quite a while but eventually got into a rhythm - 7:36. Legs ticking over quite well now, but lungs starting to struggle. Jeez this is hard - 7:20. Stopped for 30 secs to stretch and breathe and then took off again. Practically counting the metres until the end of the 3rd mile, what a wuss! Last one 7:30.

At the moment, my 5k pace should be 7:34 so I was close enough to that. I was honestly dreading this run so I'm glad it's done and dusted. Off now to do my core and conditioning - NOT looking forward to that either. It's all glamour in this house ;)

• Advertisement

Thursday:
    Actual: 5 miles in 47:36
    5 miles done, nothing too report.

Saturday:
    Plan: 90 mins
    Actual: 10.1 miles in 96 mins
    Plan for this morning was to keep pace slow and steady. Pace was fairly constant at around 9:40ish for 8 miles. I was close enough to home so sped up for the last two (9:13 & 8:42). First time in double figures since DCM.

Sunday:
    Plan: 40 min tempo
    Actual: 4.6 miles in 39:43
    Again, didn't want to do this. House alarm went off at 3 a.m. so sleep very badly disrupted. Warmup mile 9:50. Started running faster and fooled myself again into running longer than I intended. 2.6 quick miles done (8:02, 7:49, 0.6 @ 7:48 pace), then cooldown mile home 9:21.
    Really really didn't want to do this but once I got started, I didn't want to finish till it was done properly.

Decent enough week in the end, 29.9 miles and two good sessions. After the Jingle Bells 5k next week, I might take a few days off before launching straight into another program - very tired at the minute though, think it's almost time for the next b12 injection.

Actual: 4.79 miles in 45:09

An all-round, total and utter meh of a run. Legs felt heavy and flat, head all over the place, just crap. Plan was for 5 miles and I dragged my sorry carcass around for 45 minutes and then I just couldn't be bothered any more. I got back to my house at 4.79 miles and couldn't even be ar$ed to run up and down the road to make it up to 5. Definitely one to be forgotten about.

Feeling a bit meh in general at the minute. Up to my ears with getting stuff ready for a Christmas fair I have a stall at next weekend and it's melting my head. Got my number for the Jingle Bells 5k this morning but not sure if I'll do it - not feeling the running love. Of course, tomorrow I'll probably feel completely different but feeling distinctly blah today.:(

Actual: 4.79 miles in 45:09

An all-round, total and utter meh of a run. Legs felt heavy and flat, head all over the place, just crap. Plan was for 5 miles and I dragged my sorry carcass around for 45 minutes and then I just couldn't be bothered any more. I got back to my house at 4.79 miles and couldn't even be ar$ed to run up and down the road to make it up to 5. Definitely one to be forgotten about.

Feeling a bit meh in general at the minute. Up to my ears with getting stuff ready for a Christmas fair I have a stall at next weekend and it's melting my head. Got my number for the Jingle Bells 5k this morning but not sure if I'll do it - not feeling the running love. Of course, tomorrow I'll probably feel completely different but feeling distinctly blah today.:(
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJyRlkFUmUJ_uQkBxu_61VqT8n5RYgXkAXUtkPquhmDzwp2HJd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJyRlkFUmUJ_uQkBxu_61VqT8n5RYgXkAXUtkPquhmDzwp2HJd:D

CM That picture is super:)

I hope you're feeling better Rach, there's a lot to be done at this time of year with small kids (and big ones too) in the house. I'm sure your next run will have you full of endorphins.

What stall are you in charge of in the Christmas Fair? I'm one of Santa's little helpers in the grotto at our school fair:) Ho ho ho:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm one of Santa's little helpers in the grotto at our school fair:) Ho ho ho:D

Why does this not surprise me! :D
    You were made for the part!

Actual: 3.5 miles in 29 mins

Went out this morning with the intention of getting this done asap, just get the frickin' run out of the way (happiness and sunshine all the way this morning ;)) Mile 1 8:45, then 1.5 tempo miles at 7:50 pace, last mile 8:35. Legs felt better than yesterday and it was so cold, it made me run faster so I could get home quicker. Still feeling meh, but less than yesterday :rolleyes:
    What stall are you in charge of in the Christmas Fair? I'm one of Santa's little helpers in the grotto at our school fairsmile.png Ho ho hobiggrin.png

O, I've a card and craft stall. I make cards, invites, crafty bits and pieces and I've been working on them for the past month or so - the deadline is approaching and I'm feeling very panicked. (And I'm in total agreement with K about your suitability for being Santa's little helper, it's your destiny! :D)

Lovely morning for this. Got to the park nice and early to get parking, so as usual sat in the car for ages waiting to get moving. Met a few of my neighbours along the way while I was warming up and tried desperately to find a portaloo - at last someone pointed me in the direction of the finish line. Got myself back in the queue for the start and waited. I stood in the sub25 section and looked around.... Hmmm, lot of walker-y looking people (in fact, two women directly in front of me discussing would they go for 35 or 36 mins), maybe I should try and push up a bit? No time, it's time to go.

Spent the next 5 mins trying to get past people. Jeez it was bedlam until we hit Chesterfield avenue (where I saw Sunflower Ro and let a shout at her, don't think she recognised me). First mile was 7:43. Mile 2 was better, time coming right down - 7:22, but I had a bit of a head battle because my breathing was heavy and the legs were having trouble holding on. Mile 3 was better, the s-bends were grand and the downhill was lovely - 7:00 on the button. Last 0.14 was done at 7:14 pace - I thought the finish line was the end of the hill and pegged it for that but didn't realise it was around the corner and I nearly didn't make it. Finish time 23:04 by my watch, 23:01 by chip time. Saw RQ just as I came over the line and Menoscemo just after that. Couldn't go back to the clubhouse because I had to get home which is a pity, I would've loved a bit of tea and cake :)

So a nice shiny pb by almost 30 secs from a race that, last night, I wasn't going to do. Teeny bit miffed that I didn't break 23, so frickin close to 22:5?, I think trying to get past the walkers in the first km messed that up for me - Garmin even measured 3.14 so I ran an extra 200m trying to get around people, very annoying :( Anyway, I'll take a pb, happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations!! Well done you!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done. You didn't look very wrecked when you finished, you'll have to try harder next time ;) Sorry I missed getting to chat to you. :)

Great running Rachel. You must be thrilled :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well done. You didn't look very wrecked when you finished, you'll have to try harder next time ;)

Honestly M, I was knackered. So much so that, just after I said hello to you, a very nice steward asked me in a very concerned voice if I was ok. I was, just about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats, great time, definitely those few seconds are yours, just get up the front next time;)
    enjoy the craft fair tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ooooh so close to sub 23. You will def get it next time. Well done Rachel. Im still trying to get sub 25 :o

Haven't been on in a while so catch up time:

Sunday 2 December: 4.6 miles in just under 44 mins. Nice easy run after the previous day's 5k race. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Took Monday and Tuesday off, just because I felt like it.

Wednesday 5 December: 4 miles in 38:27.
    Absolutely treacherous icy paths meant this one was very carefully completed. Almost went ass over head on more than one occasion - the perfect way to learn how to run mid/forefoot rather than heel striking ;)

Thursday 6 December: 7.3 miles in 68 mins.
    This wasn't the best run. It was Nana's birthday so I ran the long way to the graveyard and then ran home. It was a horrible day so by the time I was finished, I was cold, wet and miserable. Didn't feel much better for the rest of the day.
    Woke up on Friday with a migraine. I normally get a warning as I get migraine with aura, but no warning last week :( Had to miss my friend's annual Christmas cocktail party over the weekend, and didn't get to run on Saturday or Sunday because of the pain and nausea.
    Monday, felt a bit better but head still very achy so no running.

Tuesday 11 December: Finally got out for a few miles - 3.5 miles in 31 mins. Didn't feel great when I went out, body felt a bit uncomfortable. Thought my sports bra was a bit loose and said to myself, maybe time to hit Amazon and get a new one. Did the run anyway, with the girls feeling a bit looser than usual. Got home to discover my sports bra on the bed where I'd left it - I'd done the run in the usual bra, no extra support for the chesticles (the women reading this post will understand the ouch-ness of this). Head still not quite right from migraine; still a bit befuddled and bewildered.

Hoping to get a few more (supported) miles in tomorrow. Have to find a plan if I'm going to do the Raheny 5 at the end of January. Anyone got any ideas? And maybe a bit of mojo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

chesticles - hee hee I've never heard them called that before :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Justed wanted to drop you a line to say I've read the log from start to finish over the past few days...fair play to you. Very inspiring.

Bra-less running - ouch!! And well done on the PB - great going! You're finishing off the year really nicely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Bra-less running - ouch!!
    Not something I even want to think about tbh, I've stopped a run after 1km after wearing one that just wasn't supportive enough :eek:

statss wrote: »
    Justed wanted to drop you a line to say I've read the log from start to finish over the past few days...fair play to you. Very inspiring.
    Thanks very much *blush*
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Bra-less running - ouch!!
    Ouch indeed, not doing that again in a hurry. Although it was normal bra running, it may as well have been bra-less.

Wednesday 12 Dec:
    Plan: Whatever I feel like :)
    Actual: 4.1 miles in 37 mins.
    A quick jaunt around the block in between dropping kids to school and collecting Middle Child for trip to the orthodontist. Nice run, very cold, sped up a tiny bit for the last mile. And i remembered my sports bra this time, phew :D

Thursday 13 Dec:
    Plan: Plan? What's a plan?
    Actual: 5 miles in 43:42
    In town for some of the dreaded Christmas shopping this morning and got back a bit early for the school run, so did an extended run around the block. Didn't have the garmin so started mapmyrun app on the phone and away I went. I quite like using the app as I can't see the stats while I'm running so I'm not getting obsessed with speeding up/slowing down, but I get updates every mile so it's useful. Pace was a bit quicker than intended but no harm in that, it was frickin' freezing ;) Really enjoyed this run, felt like I was flying at the end. Only disadvantage was having to wait for Youngest and Middle Child in cold running gear...brrrrrr.

Still have to find a plan to follow for Raheny 5, might just go back to the old reliable Hal and have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Still have to find a plan to follow for Raheny 5, might just go back to the old reliable Hal and have a look.

We are doing a plan to target Raheny as part of the Post DCM novices thread. Basically it is a rehash the Mcmillan 'best 10k workouts' plan.
    For Raheny 5 mile there will be 4 Key workouts: 4 x 1mile @ Goal pace (they did this last week), then 5 x 1 mile @ Goal pace (next week), followed by 1 x 2 mile + 3 x 1 mile and finally 2 x 2 mile + 1x1 mile about 10 days out. The theroy is that t6he pace you can hold for the fast bits of that last workout will be the same as you can hold for the race itself.

Recoveries are 2 minutes after mile reps and 3-4 minutes after 2 mile reps.

Do these as your 'sessions' (with easy warm-up/cool down) and supplement it with easy runs and an LSR at the weekend and you will be good to go.

Advertisement