Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I always seem to be catching up lately ;)

Saturday 15 Dec:
    Plan: 6-7 miles
    Actual: 7 miles in 61:34
    Hadn't done anything faster in a while so decided to run these miles a bit quicker than lsr pace. Mile 1 9:43, mile 2 9:10, miles 3-7 8:27-8:37.
    Actually quite enjoyed this, just felt like picking up the pace so I did.

Sunday 16 Dec:
    Plan: 30 mins easy
    Actual: 3.1 miles in 30:01
    Exactly what it says on the tin.

Tuesday 18 Dec:
    Plan: 4 miles easy
    Actual: 4 miles in 33:23
    An unintended tempo, this one. Mile 1 was 9:07 and it felt good so sped up slightly (just under 8:50) for miles 2 & 3. At which point my phone rang. The Boy was ringing from school to tell me he'd forgotten his t square and he needed it for his tech graphics exam in 30 mins. I was a mile from home so pegged it back in 7:27, found the t square in the debris that masks as his bedroom and drove at speed to the school to deliver it. Phew, quite tired after that :)

Wednesday 19 Dec:
    Plan: 4 x 1 mile @ 5 mile pace.
    Actual: 6.8 miles in 57:11
    This was very hard, so it was. Wind and rain played havoc with me, didn't enjoy this at all - but then again, who does enjoy mile intervals? Intended 5 mile pace is somewhere around 7:35-7:40 so tried to stay around that as much as possible - not easy with that bloody wind.
    Warmup mile 9:36, then mile times of 7:37, 7:31, 7:23, 7:37 (with 2 mins recovery between each rep), cool down mile 9:27.
    Last rep felt horrendous, even thought it was the same time as the first one. Wind was in my face, I was knackered and I just wanted to stop. I suppose it was a decent enough session but I didn't like it at all, VERY glad it's over for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Rachel, nice session under the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good session Rachel in yucky conditions. I wouldn't go out to get my coffee let alone run in them :D

Thursday 20 Dec:
    4 miles in 37 mins. Ran without the garmin, very straightforward, nothing to report.

Saturday 22 Dec:
    Plan was for 6-8 miles. But smallest child sick with cold and cough for last few days and I think I've picked it up. Felt like day old sh**e all day yesterday and even worse this morning. Went out anyway because I normally feel better once I start running - not this morning. Every step was an unpleasant slog. Got to the point on my route where left meant I'd get 8ish miles, right meant 1 mile home. Took the right turn. 4 miles in 40 mins. Off to dose myself with paracetemol and chocolate.

Quick catch up:
    Didn't run 23 or 24 December - felt crap, smallest girl not well, real life getting in the way. Kids up bright and early on Christmas morning so got out just after 8 for a quick 3 miles in 27 mins. Nothing to report - except for the fact that I saw two men out running, said hello to both of them and they each looked at me with a "What? I thought I was the only person hard enough to run on Christmas morning!" look. Honestly, they were gutted :D

I've run/ran every day since 25th, planning to run each of the 12 days of Christmas to help with the excessive calorie consumption. I haven't run very far, 4ish miles each morning with 8 last Saturday. I'm not garmin watching or working to a program, I'm just running. Pace is fairly steady at 9ish min miles, throwing in a few strides at the end just to see how they feel. And I'm actually quite enjoying it :)

So 2012, what happened? 1340.2 miles for starters. Happy with that. Two marathons, one of them a pb (but still not the elusive sub4). My goals for the year were:
    sub25 5k - pb 23:01 in Jingle bells 5k
    sub40 5 mile - pb 38:57 in Raheny 5
    sub50 10k - pb 49:36 in Dunshaughlin 10k (thanks to Digger & Meno :D)
    sub85 10 mile - only entered one 10 mile race but I had tonsilitis so missed it. Got to 85:50 in training.
    sub1:55 half marathon - didn't hit this one, but did pb - 1:56:37 in the race series half.
    sub4 marathon - 4:07 in Dublin, sub4 still something to chase.

So this year's goals:
    More miles.
    22:?? 5k
    37:?? 5 mile
    48:?? 10k
    sub 85 10 mile
    1:53 half marathon
    sub 4 marathon
    And to enjoy my running. I feel like I've been on a program all year and I was sort of dreading each run, so I'm just going to run by feel for a while. This means that I might not be ready for an assault on the Raheny 5 but that's ok, there'll be other 5 mile races to try.

So that's it for 2012. Happy new year to you all, thanks for all the support on this log - it's been great. Hope you all have a good year and may all your races be pb's :D See ya on the other side :)

• Advertisement

So what's been happening since New Year's eve? I kept up with my idea of running the 12 days of Christmas and ran every day until 6th January - last Sunday. Wasn't doing huge mileage, ran about 27 miles in total until Sunday. Couldn't run that day because we had a bit of trauma on the Saturday night - my mammy-in-law was taken from our house by ambulance to Beaumont Hospital and had emergency surgery. Things were looking very bad on Sunday but thankfully, after a few nights in ICU and CCU, she has started to rally and is on her way back to us.

So Sunday - no run. On Monday morning OH and his sisters were meeting up before heading to the hospital so I said, right, I'll go out and run for a couple of miles. 10 miles later I hit the house again - it was one of those runs that was exactly what I needed. I was exhausted from the lack of sleep on Saturday and Sunday but I just needed to let the legs go and do their thing. I followed a route I know well from my long runs so I didn't have to worry about time or distance, I just kept running until I felt like stopping. Tuesday and Wednesday, got 4.6 miles done each day - again, each run was what I needed, a bit of headspace. Nothing yesterday, Middle Child had dental appt for tooth extraction and I had to fit in hospital visit as well.

Today was great. Got a text early to say mammy-in-law had a good night and I headed over to Cabinteely to meet up with MarthaStew, some of her buddies and Maria McCambridge for a track session :eek: It was my first ever track session because I'm not in a club but I loved it. It was a perfect morning for it, bit cold but no wind or rain. Maria (see how I call her by her first name? Her and me, best friends forever ;)) started us off with a mile warmup followed by drills, which I'd never done and felt like a spanner doing them - until I realised everyone else was as morto as I was :) Then we moved on to 80m sprints and then onto a pyramid session: 400 - 600- 800- 600 - 400.
    My first 400 was my quickest ever - 1:33, 6:27 pace, very happy with that. Both 600s were at 7:00 pace (2:35), 800 was at 7:15 pace (3:36) and the final 400 was a teeny bit slower than the first: 1:37, 6:31 pace.
    A few more drills, a quick 80m sprint, a bit of a cooldown run and then some stretches.
    All in all, it was a brilliant hour or so, I really really enjoyed it and will be trekking my way over from the northside next Friday as well :)

So that's a quick catch up on the last few days. Still not sure about doing Raheny but I reckon I'll register over the weekend anyway.

Ok, time for another update.

Saturday 12/1:
    Plan: 10 miles
    Actual: 6.4 in 59 mins.
    Had planned for a decent 10 mile run, but got call from Middle Child's gym teacher to say she was sick. Time to leg it home, get the car and mind the girl for the rest of the day.

Sunday 13/1 - No run. Bad sleep Saturday, combined with stressful week, meant that when the alarm went off to go out, I stayed in bed. And only felt a teeny bit guilty about it :D

Monday 14/1 - No run. Guilt getting worse :rolleyes: The Boy was up during Sunday night sleepwalking and had an awfully high temp, so nothing done on Monday. Also had to bring Middle child to doc, all fun and games in our house.

Tuesday 15/1 - Boy still unwell, but tucked him up on sofa with DVD and phone in case he needed me, and legged it for 5.3 miles.

Wednesday 16/1 - Boy not getting better. Told him I'd be quicker than yesterday, so did 4 miles in 34 mins. Also brought him to doc - chest infection and touch of tonsillitis so antibiotic required, yahoo :(

Thursday 17/1 - Bad nights sleep watching The Boy to make sure he was ok, and also watching Middle Child to make sure she didn't have concussion after headbutting the vault box while doing stretching and conditioning on Wednesday night. As I said earlier, all fun and games in our house :rolleyes: Wasn't going to go out, but Boy said he felt ok so legged it for 5.3 miles.

Friday 18/1 - Horrible day, so what else would you be doing but going for a run in the wind and rain?? Settled the Boy on couch again and jumped out the door for 4 glorious miles. I LOVED my run yesterday, even though the head was blown off me and I was soaking. A fabulous run.

Saturday 19/1 - Plan was for 10 miles. Actual was 11.1 miles in 1:44. Another nice run. I headed out to Raheny and followed some of the Raheny 5 route, but the wrong way around - so I ran down Watermill and up Mount Prospect if that makes any sense. I also got slightly lost and had to double back on myself, hence 11 miles rather than 10. But still a nice run - until, on the way back in, I tried to jump through what I thought was a small puddle on the Clontarf seafront. It was a LOT deeper than it looked and I was up to my ankles in water :eek: The last few miles home were a lot wetter and squishier than I would have liked them to be ;)

So that was my week so far. I'm absolutely knackered from the lack of sleep watching the kids, and trekking up and down to the hospital to see the mammy-in-law. (As an aside, the next person who tells me I look tired is getting the smacks - end of.) The only thing that's kept me reasonably sane this week was my running. I would've liked to do more but I could only leave the Boy on his own for so long. Still, almost 30 miles (29.7 to be precise) and I should get a few more miles in tomorrow.
    I also signed up for the Raheny 5 during the week. I wasn't going to enter but Middle child came over to me while I was deciding whether or not to sign up. "Mammy, if you don't enter, you'll only have done it 3 years in a row. Doesn't 4 years in a row sound better?" Ok, guilt trip worked, sign up done. I have absolutely no expectation of a decent time, I haven't put in enough work/sessions. I'll be aiming for 40 mins or thereabouts. But that's ok, I'm not too stressed about it. Of course, next week I'll probably be up to high doh about it, but I'll worry about that next week :D

Mon 21/1 to Thurs 24/1:
    Very busy week with kids and mammy-in-law minding, so fitted in miles whenever I could - 4 miles Mon & Thurs, 5 miles Tues & 4.1 miles Wed.
    Didn't run Friday or Saturday, knackered tired with everything that's going on.

Sun 27/1 - Raheny 5 mile
    Weather not great today, pretty much matched my mood. Very little sleep last night and the night before, coupled with a "meh" feeling, meant I wasn't going into today's race with the best attitude. Got there early enough to pick up my number, and met ClaraLara, Digger, Banner Phoenix, Sunflower Ro. Had a chat with them all, moaned a bit and then we headed to the start line. Knew I wasn't in pb shape or form, so anything around 40-42 mins would be ok. Got over the line quick enough, but it was still quite congested for a while. Started to thin out just before the 1st mile marker. Wind was quite strong, definitely distracting - mile 1 8:04. Felt ok at this point, not at my limit but moving quickly enough. And I was definitely passing more people than were passing me (if that makes sense). Wind still strong, Mile 2 7:50. Mile 3 felt like the best mile of the day, wind died down, good bit of downhill. Still not feeling 100% comfortable though. In my stupidity, I wore 2 layers and was baking at this stage. I was also carrying my gloves - not good. Mile 3 7:44. The next mile was pretty much the same, bit of downhill, bit of wind, not too bad. Got a bit boxed in on the path along the coast, had to hop up and down a bit to get some space. Mile 4 7:53. I kind of gave up on the last mile. Going up Watermill road was fierce. The wind was in my face, my legs were hurting and I was focussing on not stopping, not walking. I didn't garmin-watch for most of the race but I looked at one point on Watermill road and my pace was gone out to 8:50 :eek: At this point, I knew I'd come in sub40 anyway so I didn't push too hard, I definitely didn't attack the hill as I'd done last year. Anyway I brought the pace in a bit and sped up as much as I could for the last few hundred metres. Mile 5 8:07. Final chip time 39:40

All in all, I'm reasonably happy with the day. I was about 40 secs slower than last year, but still sub40 and given how I was feeling this morning, that's fine for today. There will be other 5 mile races during the year - I might even get to the Sportsworld one in May. So that's it, off to wrestle some of the chocolate in my goodybag away from the children :D

That's a good run Rachel, well done. I gather you have a new username too ;)
    BTW did you notice one of the leaflets in the bag was the next race we talked about...see fate or what :). See you at the start line!

That's a good run Rachel, well done. I gather you have a new username too ;)
    BTW did you notice one of the leaflets in the bag was the next race we talked about...see fate or what :). See you at the start line!

Yes, apparently my name has changed - Ro nearly lost her voice roaring "Maeve!" at me and wondering why I didn't turn around...:rolleyes:
    And yes, I saw the flyer for the MSB run and thought to myself "hmmmm, was Shaz tampering with these bags before hand?" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

racheljev wrote: »
    Yes, apparently my name has changed - Ro nearly lost her voice roaring "Maeve!" at me and wondering why I didn't turn around...:rolleyes:
    And yes, I saw the flyer for the MSB run and thought to myself "hmmmm, was Shaz tampering with these bags before hand?" ;)

That crazy sunflower. :)

You know theres a road(rail)trip to Mallow on the cards that weekend. :cool:

So what's been happening since the Raheny 5? Just a bit of running. Nothing too stressful, no workouts or intentional tempo miles. I've been heading out when I feel like it, and running for as long or as far or as fast/slow as I want. I was getting a bit out of sorts and not enjoying my running, so for the last two weeks, I've headed out without the garmin (but with mapmyrun on iphone so I have a record). I don't get as caught up looking at the phone as I do at the garmin, so it's been a bit less stress. I'm also not on here too much - I think I was putting myself under pressure to do sessions so I could log them, which let's face it, is a bit stupid.:o

Last week (28/1 - 3/2) was fairly quiet. I ran 4 days, 21 miles in total. Not great but I enjoyed each run and that was the point of it for me. I didn't run at all last Sat or Sun, family stuff got in the way. If I had, I'd probably have cleared 30 for the week - but, shoulda woulda coulda. Not getting obsessed.

This week has been better. A run every day, 26.4 miles so far this week. Yesterday I ran 6 miles in the wind and rain, and it was one of the best runs I've ever had. I felt as if I could've run for miles more, I loved it - hopefully running mojo on the way back :D

Today was a session with Maria McCambridge, MarthaStew and pals over in Kilgobbet park. A mile or so warmup, a few 80m sprints and then into 4 x 800s with about 90secs recovery. As a rule, I hate 800s and all 00s of any kind (gosh, have I EVER mentioned that on this log??? Eh, maybe once or twice :rolleyes:) Maria told us to try them at about 10k pace, not flat out, but to be honest, I didn't see anyone holding back so I went for it as well. 1st and 2nd was 3:36, 3rd was 3:31 and last was 3:29 - my fastest 800 ever. There was a fair wind howling around Kilgobbet this morning and it was in our faces for the last 150m of each lap. Still, it was brilliant. After that, loads of drills. And apparently we're all much better at them this time - always good to hear. Then at the end she said "Now you're all going to hate me, but I want you to do a last flat out 400m. Just go for it and see how well you all do when you're tired." 3,2,1 and off we went. I was so tired butI did my best and I came in at 1:32, a second faster than the fastest 400 I did the last time - quickest 800 and 400 I've ever done, in one day, yay me! :D Cooldown jog and off back to the northside for me. An absolutely brilliant session, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Longish run planned for tomorrow, hopefully between 10-12 miles. But if I don't do that, I'm not bothered. I don't have a race planned at the minute, still sorta thinking of the MSB 5k in March but I'll wait a while before I register. I'm not too pushed on races at the minute. Once I'm enjoying my running, that's good enough for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Yesterday I ran 6 miles in the wind and rain, and it was one of the best runs I've ever had. I felt as if I could've run for miles more, I loved it - hopefully running mojo on the way back :D

... quickest 800 and 400 I've ever done, in one day, yay me! :D Cooldown jog and off back to the northside for me. An absolutely brilliant session, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Once I'm enjoying my running, that's good enough for me :)

Racheljev, its great when there are good runs like the one you had yesterday..it really does make it all the easier to get out for the next one. Looks like the Mojo is back all right...just keep on enjoying it!!!:D

Rach, so many things in your post I could have written myself or could apply to my own running situation.
    Those 'Maria sessions' sound great! Well done!

Not much to report, still clocking up the miles as often as possible. :)

At the end of the last update, I said I'd try 10-12 miles the next day (Saturday 9 Feb). As it turned out, I covered 9. Just before I went out I got a spasm in the left part of my upper back - and it wasn't pleasant. And because I'm a bit of a frickin' idiot, I went out for a run anyway. Even though OH said to me, is it wise running when your back is sore, I still went. Thought to myself, maybe the run will loosen it up, I'll be grand :o. And then I ran as far as Raheny, which meant I had to run a good bit to get back home. And because I was compensating for a sore left side, my right side got a bit screwed up as well. Very tempted at one point to get a taxi home. Anyway common sense meant no running on Sunday or Monday. Still, that week (4/2 - 10/2) had mileage of 35.4, not bad.

Once the spasm eased last week wasn't too bad. Ran Tuesday to Sunday. Nothing too heavy, just straight forward miles with the odd strides thrown in. Could still feel a bit of pain in the back with deep breathes so emphasis was on not aggravating it. A mini lsr on Saturday, 10.2 miles which were a bit yucky but that's ok, these things happen ;). 31 miles for the week.

Yesterday was a quick 3.2 miles before the school run - I hadn't planned to run and didn't have a lot of time but it was too nice a day NOT to run. Today was 6.3 easy miles - seeing as it was 8 days on the trot, I made sure to keep the pace easy. Plan for the rest of the week is the same, a few miles here and there to keep ticking over.

Haven't signed up for MSB 5k and probably won't at this stage. If I fancy a 5k, I might head out to Malahide one Saturday for the Parkrun. At the moment, it's still about getting the mojo back and getting the bod used to running 6 days a week. Happy out.:)

No MSB, what :confused:. Go on you know you want to...oh god I'm turning into a race pimp like Mr Slow :eek:

No MSB, what :confused:. Go on you know you want to...oh god I'm turning into a race pimp like Mr Slow :eek:

You'll never be that bad! :rolleyes:

So, last update was 19/2. Since then:
    20/2, easy 4 miles, happy days.
    21/2 - migraine. One of the worst I've had in a while. It started while I was collecting middle child to bring her to dentist, so I drove to dentist with one eye closed because migraine aura was blinding other eye - NOT a good plan. Eventually got home and collapsed in a heap. Did school run the next day with the help of dark glasses and codeine - yay, junky mammy :o Out of action for 4 days and feeling crap for the rest of the following week. I managed 19 miles (25/2 - 1/3) despite feeling like day old sh**, but head cold and children's activities curtailed the weekend's running so no lsr (or any r at all in fact :rolleyes:).

This week so far, bits and pieces. 3.3 miles Monday, 4 miles Tuesday and 8 miles today. But I'm absolutely knackered after this morning's run. Think it might be time for a b12 shot... Quite happy I didn't sign up for the MSB 5k, there's no way there is any speed in my legs at the minute. A slow slog around town wouldn't be the best way to build my confidence! Hoping to get to Kilgobbet park this week for a Maria McCambridge session - missed the last two with migraine and headcold. Could really do with a bit of a boost...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

God rachel you are really going through the mill at the moment. Mind yourself. Get that shot!

So, a full month since I've updated, how did that happen :eek: Probably because there isn't a whole lot to report. Real life has been a bit up and down at the minute so my few miles, every now and again, are helping to keep me sane :) The Boy has almost completely transformed into a sulky sh** stirring teenager - fun and games in my house ;) On top of that, Middle Girl has been diagnosed as coeliac and I've been trying to adjust to helping her go gluten free. She's ok about it, I'm probably more upset than she is. But it'll be grand once we get into a routine.

I managed the grand total of 110 miles for March - not particularly good but then again, I'm not training for anything so I suppose it's not a bad total. There hasn't been a whole load of quality in the miles but I've put the odd tempo mile here and there, and also added a few strides at the end of runs. I've signed up for the Leixlip 5k at the start of May - the course is right beside my brother's house so I'm trying to tempt him to take part as well. I'll have a look at a 5k plan, maybe try the last few weeks. For me at the minute, it's about finding the running love and just getting out of the bloody house. Hopefully any further updates will be more cheerful and will actually involve running information :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

So, a full month since I've updated, how did that happen :eek: Probably because there isn't a whole lot to report. Real life has been a bit up and down at the minute so my few miles, every now and again, are helping to keep me sane :) The Boy has almost completely transformed into a sulky sh** stirring teenager - fun and games in my house ;) On top of that, Middle Girl has been diagnosed as coeliac and I've been trying to adjust to helping her go gluten free. She's ok about it, I'm probably more upset than she is. But it'll be grand once we get into a routine.

I managed the grand total of 110 miles for March - not particularly good but then again, I'm not training for anything so I suppose it's not a bad total. There hasn't been a whole load of quality in the miles but I've put the odd tempo mile here and there, and also added a few strides at the end of runs. I've signed up for the Leixlip 5k at the start of May - the course is right beside my brother's house so I'm trying to tempt him to take part as well. I'll have a look at a 5k plan, maybe try the last few weeks. For me at the minute, it's about finding the running love and just getting out of the bloody house. Hopefully any further updates will be more cheerful and will actually involve running information :D

For what it is worth - getting back to running is tough and does not feel great first couple of times out, it does come back - the love is out there but you got to get out to find it ( I run/waddled this morning for the first time in two months proded by the OH).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

The Boy has almost completely transformed into a sulky sh** stirring teenager - fun and games in my house ;)

That's just natures way of getting us Mammy's to cut the apron strings... Stay strong, it'll get better (eventually) :o My 18 year old is almost back to being a pleasant human being again
    Middle Girl has been diagnosed as coeliac and I've been trying to adjust to helping her go gluten free. She's ok about it, I'm probably more upset than she is. But it'll be grand once we get into a routine.
    Ah that's tough Rachel. Sounds like she ok with it though, which is a help. Hard to get the kitchen sorted but once you get the hang of it (and the shopping!) ye'll be grand. Best of luck with it.

...and I think you're amazing to be able to get out at all with all that going on (and the migraines :eek:!)

See you around the phoenix park sometime (when we're both back to those long runs)

Ah, we missed you Rach! Was wondering how you were getting on. Sounds like you have your hands full.
    Good to see you're still running and signing up for races! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

tough time there Rachel...but you are still getting in the runs so no problem to you to get back into a routine, when the time is right!!
    I find the migraines are worse when you are very tired so mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hope to catch up with you for a run soon Rach and best of luck over the next few weeks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

You're back! So I am, but lurking over in the dark side with the triathletes at the moment...

So another month, and the grand total of 92 miles, has gone since I updated :o This month has had week long migraines, dodgy tums, backaches and various sick children littered through it - I've said it before and I'll say it again, this log gets more and more like an episode of Casualty or Grey's Anatomy as time pases ;)

I've only managed one decent session with the Maria McCambridge Friday group, and no other speed work at all, which makes tomorrow's jaunt out to Leixlip for the LeCheile 5k not such a good idea. There's no way there is any speed at all in the legs so I'm not going to worry about getting a decent time - I checked last year's results and if I finish under 25 mins, I'll be middle of that pack so that'll do! I haven't done a race in absolutely ages so it'll be nice to have another go and not put myself under any pressure. And the brother and his wife live in Leixlip and have promised me a nice lunch so that'll help :D

Despite the crappiness of the month's mileage, I can feel the running lurve coming back, a bit at a time. A friend of mine asked me to help her with Couch to 5k, so I'm doing that 3 days a week and lashing in my own run before or after her session. Her goal is the Keith Duffy 5k in the park at the end of June so I'll do that with her - she wants help to make sure she gets around! Anyway, because I'm helping her (I know, the irony of me helping someone else!) I'm starting to enjoy my runs again. I did a lovely 7 miles down by the coast to Dollymount yesterday and it was great. It was hot and I had a big red face (cue some more "sweaty betty" or similar comments by too cool for school teenagers) but it was great. A few more like that and I'll be happy.

So April: not great, glad it's over, hope May is better. Might update tomorrow if I have a decent run. Otherwise, see you in June :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well, how did it go? Did you have fun?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Marthastew wrote: »

Well, she met the great TRR and was duly starstruck ;):D

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »

It didn't go too badly, phew! Quite windy out there (and not just when standing behind Digger ;)) Got there quite early so went for a bit of a warmup - just over a mile to get the legs moving. Noticed that the wind would be in our faces for the last k. I knew there was no chance of a pb, because of the lack of speed work. But I had to go under 25, and ideally under 24. Did the usual toilet trip(s) and got ready to start. Over the line fairly quickly, about 10-15 secs and off we went. First k was into the wind and up over the motorway, bit tough. Over the top and back down the other side. Wind was a bit swirly, hard to judge where it was coming from. When we turned around by some of the housing estates it got easier and the wind was behind us. Mile 1 was 7:44. Mile 2 got a bit easier, blocked from the wind and nice and flat. Mile 2 7:37. Coming back around the corner to the final bit was difficult again with the wind and the teeny tiny incline over the railway bridge - not a problem during the earlier warmup but harder to deal with at the end of the race. Onto the track for the last 600m and I was pushing as hard as I could but I didn't have anything left. Mile 3 7:41 and last 0.1 @ 7:40 pace. Garmin read 23:46, Chip time 23:48 - stupid second mat depriving me of 2 seconds ;). Met ClaraLara, Digger and TRR after the race and enjoyed some of the Le Cheile hospitality - very impressive selection of cakes, yum. Then headed off to the brother's house for the afternoon, happy days.

So under the 24, which was grand and 150th finisher - middle of the bunch as predicted yesterday. But - even though it wasn't a pb or even a decent 5k time, I actually feel more positive than I did yesterday. Got the race done and, with a bit more speed training and less of a windy day, could've definitely gone a bit faster. So happy out. :D

Advertisement