Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck Rachel, hope 2014 is kinder running wise! Keep up the logging at any rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

A good start there by all accounts!

Hope you keep well for the rest of 2014 and smash all those PB's:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Kept up my mini running streak till Thursday - a few miles every day, all grand. Ended up with 18 days in a row, happy with that. But lets face it, you can already hear the ER / Casualty theme music about to play so you know SOMETHING happened....

Middle child had gymnastic trial in Galway yesterday - 3:30 till 7:30, So plan was to drive down, go for a run for about an hour, have a coffee or two and head home. Got there in loads of time, left her in and headed off for a run. Half a mile down the road I tripped. It felt like I was falling for about 10 mins. Eventually I hit the ground like a ton of bricks. Took most of the skin off my left knee (through my tights :eek:) and hit the left side of my head - my ears were ringing, not great. Anyway, got up and assessed. Told myself I was ok and i'd jog it off. Got a bit further away and realised my arm and shoulder were in a jocker. Got back to the car very slowly and sat in the car and cried for a minute. Drove to a shopping centre about a mile away - and discovered that I couldn't change gear with left hand, had to use right. Found a chenist and bought ice packs and nurofen plus - the only time I didn't have an inquisition from the pharmacist about codeine!

On way back to gym, I was coming out of the car park and someone pulled out in front of me. Turning the wheel to avoid while trying to change gear made my arm shoulder make a horrible scrunching noise/feel and i screamed. And used a word (the horrible c word :() towards the other driver that I have NEVER used in my life before. EVER. Sobbed with pain back to the gym and sat there for almost 3 hours with intermittent ice pack. Then headed back to Dublin. I knew once I got onto the motorway I'd be ok - no gear changes except for toll booths. Got back safely but painfully - last mile with traffic lights nearly killed me. It was like being a learner all over again - praying for green lights!

Went to VHI clinic this morning for consult and xrays. Good news: no fractures. Soft tissue damage. Doc thinks either rotator cuff injury, tendon damage or possible dislocation - the scrunching noise/feeling could've been the shoulder popping back in :eek: Have an immobiliser sling and a difene prescription for a week. He told me to get physio and if there's no improvement in 2 weeks, to go back to them to arrange mri etc.

So that's it for now. Raheny probably out now. Very upset and very sore (and very annoyed at how hard it is to type with one hand :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Oh no Rach so sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bad news, sorry to near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have you been hanging out with RQ? :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I really feel for you. You were just back and now this..... feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »

On a serious note, I really feel for you. You were just back and now this..... feel better soon.

If she'd been hanging out with RQ she'd have been knocked down outside the VHI Clinic ;)

Get well soon Rachel!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jcsmum wrote: »

digger2d2 wrote: »
    If she'd been hanging out with RQ she'd have been knocked down outside the VHI Clinic ;)

Get well soon Rachel!

Ouch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ouch :(

It's ok RQ, we know you're not really one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Yikes. I was cringing reading that. If you popped the shoulder back in again I can imagine how painful that was. Fingers crossed : no major damage and this will prove to be a minor setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Jeez Rach, you really are going to have to stop walking under ladders or something! Hope it heals soon and you get back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

How are you feeling now Rach? I hope you're on the mend:)

Thanks for the good wishes folks (and Digger, thanks for making me laugh - even though it hurt :rolleyes:) Just back from physio. Almost def a dislocated shoulder with associated tendon (or ligament, I can't remember) damage; and something about labrum and something else about rotator stuff. Basically I'm screwed :mad::o So, kinesio tape, sling for another week, small exercises from saturday, dry needling and manipulation next week when inflammation goes down. Time for chocolate ;)

So it's 3 weeks since the fall and there's not a whole lot to report. I've visited the physio twice a week and she's getting me back to normal. I've a good bit more movement in the shoulder/arm - still a bit of pain, but nothing like before so that's good. I emailed the lovely Jantastic people to ask them to take me out of the Boards.ie team so I didn't affect the team totals. However they told me that, once I covered more than a mile in my walks, I could count them as part of the January challenge. So I'm walking between 3 and 4 miles most days - partly to keep myself sane and partly to make sure that my a$$ is not visible from space by the time the injury has healed:D I was with my physio today and she told me that I'm now allowed drive (but only if I have to) and I'm also allowed a very slow, very gentle jog from tomorrow - no more than 5 mins at a time and only every 2nd day. Once I get over that for a few days without increased pain, then I can increase the time out and frequency.

I'm finding this injury so frickin' frustrating. When I had the stress fracture in 2010, at least I could swim and use an exercise bike. With this, I can do fcek all and it's driving me dippy. As I said earlier, I've been walking but it takes all my willpower not to break into a little run - honestly, power walking is the pits. Anyway, with any luck, my little jogs will go ok this week and I can start to strengthen the shoulder and get back to normal. So, a sorta glass half empty / glass half full update ;)

You picked a good week to get back to running Rach - have you SEEN the Weather out there at the mo?! :eek:

...I'm thinking of going into hibernation :o:rolleyes:

Hang in there. I know what this is like. On the bright side it you have to be off the road winter is the time for it.

Any chance you could use a stationary bike if you have a gym available ( some offer monthly memberships) ? Of course check with the physio first. But you don't really need to use the arms, it's zero impact and might keep you ticking over. Mind you you need to be careful as many a runner has begun like this and eventually been lost over the the dark side (tri) completely.

Another update :) Not a whole lot to tell. I've been slowly getting back, a little bit at a time. I've managed 5 runs a week for the last 3 weeks (now, some of them were only 2 miles but they count :D) Shoulder is healing nicely, physio has me doing strengthening exercises every day. Still a few problems with weak deltoid (I think that's what she said :rolleyes:) but she's happy enough.

Did the Operation Transformation run this morning, as part of the Lord Mayor's 5 Alive challenge. Didn't look at the watch at all for most of the race, ran by feel. Shoulder was a bit sore but not too bad - I know I felt very tense on one part of the course because it was downhill and quite slippy, and I definitely didn't need another fall :rolleyes: Managed to finish in 25:16, over 2 mins slower than my 5k pb but only 30 secs slower than Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's day. And considering I was hoping to come in somewhere around 27-28 mins and I had no idea at all if I could pick up any speed (all my jogs over the past few weeks have been between 9:45 & 10 min/mile pace), I'll take that :D Next planned race is MSB 5k in 3 weeks. Again, not going for a particular time, just heading out to test out the body and fitness. So, long story short, a happyish Rachel today :)

Might see you before/during/after the MSB run Rachel. It's a family affair for us and I've a feeling this is the year I'm getting clobbered by all of them, so I'll be pushing hard (or not... we'll see) Mini-me did a 2 miler with me a few weeks ago and took off like a hot snot with 200mt to go to leave me for dead! I think she 's got her daddy's speed gene :D

If you're going to hang around for a bit after drop me a line?

Jeez it's the 12th of March, how did that happen??? Ages since I updated and not much to tell. I'm slowly increasing the mileage each week - actually ran more than 20 miles last week, hallelujah! MSB 5k is this weekend so I decided to do my (not so) long run this morning - 9.3 miles, what a glorious day for it. Legs grand, shoulder ok. Physio has me doing a lot of strengthening work on it, because as she said, I'm a little accident prone and there's a fairly high chance that I'll fall again :rolleyes: If (when) it happens, she wants to make sure that the shoulder won't just pop back out again for the hell of it. So, lots of exercises that make me look and feel quite stupid but which will apparently make my shoulder unpoppable :)

The one big hangover from the fall is the fact that, even though I'm enjoying my little bit of running again, I'm extremely nervous. I'm watching the ground all the time to make sure I don't trip over. I'm also quite nervous about doing a speed session because I'm afraid of falling at speed. During the Op Trans 5k, there was a spot on the route with a lovely dowhill that normally I would've flown down. I found instead that I sort of picked my way down the hill. Even this morning, I held back on a nice bit of downhill. I'm sure my confidence will come back, it'll just take a bit of time. Anyway my gorgeous nephew is being christened on Saturday (before the rugby thankfully ;)) and MSB 5k on Sunday, good weekend ahead :)

• Advertisement

Happy Rachel today, yay! My gorgous nephew was christened yesterday, Ireland won the rugby, the Dubs beat Kilkenny in the hurling (unfortunately the footballers were beaten by Derry but we'll ignore that for the purposes of an upbeat post). With any luck St. Vincents will be crowned All-Ireland club champions tomorrow - and I managed to run a fast (for me) 5k! Yahoo!

Got to the Mansion House just after 11 and was ushered into a lovely room (with proper toilets!), courtesy of my 5 Alive tshirt - bless the Lord Mayor :) Got myself sorted and headed out, where I found Emer911 and her mini-me daughter. Nice and relaxed at the start, bit of chat and laughter, gun went, and off we headed. I had 24:30 in my head as a possible time - better than the Op Trans run but still way under my pb. It's also my predicted Jantastic time for an all-out run. Emer and C headed off in front of me and I worked to keep their ponytails in sight. It was fierce congested at the start but seemed to thin out quite quickly. Wasn't mad about the turnaround on Baggot St but it didn't slow us down too much. Spotted MarthaStew and Mr. Stew at the turnaround but they didn't see me at this point. Off around for a quick loop, then back to Baggot St where MS & Mr. S saw me and roared my name, lovely pickmeup :) Kept my eye on Emer and C, tried to make sure they didn't get too far ahead of me. Finally caught up beside them at the canal, where C gave me a lovely relaxed "Hiya!" I just waved and concentrated on not puking. I noticed at this stage her lace was undone and tried desperately to get the words out, then decided "ah f**k it, if her mammy hasn't told her, then it's none of my business ;)"

Felt a bit dodgy and sort of like I wanted to walk/puke at 3k but pushed on through - after all, if you don't want to puke during a 5k, you're not working hard enough. The course was very good, nice and flat - that said, the teeny tiny incline of Leeson St towards the end nearly frickin' killed me, praise be for the wind behind us at that point. Saw the 4k marker and tried to calculate times in my head, worked out that I might be on for a sub 24 min finish. Last km was a killer, huge amounts of mind over matter and htfu required. Saw the clock still had 23 something on it as I got closer and finished in 23:37 (gun time). My garmin stopped at 23:03, almost a full minute and a half faster than I was hoping, yahoo! Unfortunately my chip didn't register until crossing the finish line so my chip time is the same as gun time but I've sent them an email in the hope they can fix it for me.

Caught up with Emer and C straight away, and holy crap we were knackered but all very very happy. Both cracked 23 mins and C def has a lot more in the tank for future runs. It was brilliant having them to chase the whole way through the race (and similarly, Emer was determined to keep ahead of me so it worked out well for both of us) AND we both managed to finish a race we started together for the first time in AGES - woohoo the hoodoo is done :D

So, very very happy with how the day went. 23:03 is only 2 secs slower than my 5k pb from 2012, I'm delighted with it as it shows I'm getting back to where I want to be. There was some talk in the Mansion house after about the course being slightly short but I lalala'd away to my hearts content - I don't give a monkeys :D No illeffects from the shoulder either so another positive. As usual though I'm waiting to see what happens next; odds are I'll fall down the stairs this evening or walk into a wall or some such fun :o

Yeh that was a bit of fun! :D:p:eek:

C is so used to walking around with her laces undone that I reckoned she was probably not going to trip up - so best say nothing. ;)

So, almost 3 weeks on since the MSB 5k, what's been happening? Well pretty much what was happening before. A bit of running, a bit of physio, same old same old. Had to ease back on the shoulder strengthening exercises as I was aggravating a ligament which was strained in the fall. Apart from that, shoulder is doing ok; it's kind of low level achy pretty much all the time but I'm learning to ignore it :) Running is going fairly ok. Mileage has been slowly but surely creeping up: managed the grand total of 112 miles in March, which was my biggest mileage month since last October :eek:

Weekend long runs have crept into double figures - today's was 12.8 miles (just couldn't be ar$ed running up the road for the last .2, I was knackered ;)) I miscalculated my turn around point so it was slightly further home than expected. But.... it was grand. Not amazing, not sh1t, just grand. If I get a run in tomorrow I'll hit over 30 miles for this week. Not huge mileage compared to some on here, I know, but big enough for me at the minute and I'm happy with it.

Current focus is the LauraLynn half marathon on Good Friday, less than 2 weeks away. It's in the Phoenix Park so I imagine the course will be close enough to the Race Series route - could be wrong of course. Anyway, I'm not aiming for any sort of a pb; if I come in close enough to 2 hours, I'll take that. In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging away. Right now I'm off to Limerick with Middle Child for gymnastic nationals. Honestly, I'm more nervous than she is :rolleyes: Emer911 & KC's girlie is competing as well so good luck C :D

After my fall and recovery, this half marathon seemed to come at a perfect time to assess my fitness. I knew I wouldn't have time for a full half marathon program so it was never going to be a big goal race. Also, and this sounds corny, but it wasn't really that type of race. Yes there were people running very bloody fast and who were going for pbs, but there were also people who were going to take 4 hours to complete the course. The aim was to raise a lot of money for the LauraLynn foundation and just before we started, Ray D'arcy said that goal has been hit, now you can just enjoy yourselves :)

Anyway, got to the Park nice and early as usual. Got my number and tshirt and then joined the never ending queue for the loo. It was already very hot so I was trying to take in enough water to be hydrated but not so much that I'd need the loo again :rolleyes: Got to the start line on time and waited to go. The start was delayed by a little while for a few speeches. I don't think I was the only person with a tear in my eye when Jane, the mother of Laura & Lynn thanked everybody for the fundraising. Then it was time to go.

We headed off and after a few metres, the congestion eased out. I felt like I was moving at a comfortable pace and was very surprised to look at the watch to discover I was moving well under 9 min/mile pace - my ideal pace. I decided, right, the satellite is gone ar$eways, so I hit stop and reset - baaaad move. Because for the rest of the race I had to keep recalculating and guessing. When I hit the first mile marker pretty much where the original trace would've hit it, I felt like a bit of a loon. Anyway, hit the lap button and kept going. At least I knew from then the laps would be ok, I'd just have to keep adding the first quarter mile. Mile 1 was way too fast, under 8:20 pace so I consciously brought it back down over the next few miles - 8:31, 8:40, 8:57. By this stage we were back in the sun and man, it was hot. And my tum decided to throw it's usual wobbler. The next few miles were quite hard - 8:59, 9:09. I had brought jelly babies with me and tried a few but I knew they'd make an appearance if I tried any more. So I handed the bag off to a volunteer and asked him if he'd mind binning them for me - no problem says he.

Mile 7 was where it all went a bit pear shaped. It had the incline up onto Acres Road, where it was mad warm. Then onto Chesterfield Avenue where there is the teeniest tiniest drag - but when it's hot, jeez it felt like much more. 9:32 :eek: At this stage I reckoned I was still close enough to sub 2 hours but I'd have to work a little bit. So I took a drink at the water station and emptied another cup down my back. By this stage we were on our second trip down by the Ordnance Survey and I knew next time - 4 miles, 36ish minutes, we'd be able to turn for home. I felt much better at this stage - definitely the right move to forget the jelly babies and just rely on breakfast ;) Miles 8, 9 & 10 brought the pace back down to a reasonable level - 9:14, 9:09, 9:06. And then we were back at the Acres Road bit again. I lost a little bit of time here because, as we were coming up the hill, a woman stopped dead in front of me. I encouraged her to keep going, we were halfway to the top of the incline. I gave her some water, got her up the hill and then went on. But it lost me a tiny bit of time (and maybe gave me a bit of a breather). Mile 11 9:25. Back around on to Chesterfield Avenue for the last time and feeling much better than earlier. Mile 12 9:05. Really enjoyed the last mile, lapped some walkers and tried to give them a shout out, a well done - they were on their first lap and there was a loooong way to go and it was VERY hot. Turned onto the home straight and felt brilliant. Felt myself speeding up but as I did, the dodgy tum decided to rear it's ugly head so slowed ever so slightly. From about 400m back I could hear the announcer saying the clock said 1:56 and I knew I wasn't 4 mins from the finish, so sub2 was safe enough. Mile 13 8:53. Just before the finish line, spotted OH and the kiddywinks, and middle child ran to the finish with me. First time I've ever had one of them with me at the end of a race and it was simply perfect.

13.15 miles, clock time 1:58:43, (amended) watch time 1:58:18

Got my goody bag, got my medal, got my gang and then headed for home (actually ended up at Mammy & Daddy's house for a nice lunch :)).

Overall, I'm very happy with how the day went. I said to OH before I left this morning that I thought I'd run 2:01, 2:02 and that sub2 would be a bonus. So I got my sub2, yay. It's under 2 mins outside my pb for the half but I'm not really bothered - it was a very hot morning, much hotter than I expected. Anyway it doesn't really matter. I finished the course in a time I can accept and I raised over 400 euro for a very worthy charity. Happy days :)

Well done. Nice to see you well and truly back. ;):D

Great run! Sounds like you are almost back to your best after some consistent training. Nice job... I'll be using you an example.

Wow, it's been a while :eek: Not much has been happening unfortunately. After the April half I had loads of good intentions and mojo was flying. But as usual sh!t happens. A lot of real life and family stuff has been getting in the way of running. I thought May was a low mileage month (77.1) until June happened (55.1). Honestly, it's been crap. Three kids sick together (one much worse than the others, out of school for 3 weeks), other crap going on. I've tried to keep ticking over but it hasn't been great. When all 3 were sick together, I could leave the house for no more than 30 mins and that was normally to top up the Calpol/Nurofen supplies. I managed a few miles around the block but spent most of it worrying that they'd all be ok when I got home. Result? Stress migraines and sore neck. Anyway, that's it, it's done, they're all better, no more complaining.

So it's 1st July, the start of the second half of the year. And I'm going to make more of an effort. I'm going to aim for the Race Series Half marathon in September. DCM is still floating around in my head, especially because it's a different route, but I'm fairly sure I don't have a decent enough base for an assault on the elusive sub4, and I don't think I could handle another 4:xx. So the half it is. And then we'll see.... My aim for this month is to get out every day, even if it's only for a jaunt around the block. I'd also like more than a double figure mileage for the month :rolleyes: We're heading to West Cork in a few weeks so I'll get a few miles in there as well. So, start as I mean to continue:
    Tuesday: 4 miles in 37:58.

So far this month, I've managed to run more than half of last month's mileage :eek: - 30.2 as of this morning. Now THAT'S a bit better...

Ran every day last week, even if it was only for two miles slooooowly around the block. I even managed a double day - 4 miles with tempo in the morning and another easy 4 in the afternoon with Smallest Girl on her bike :) Saturday's run was 8.3 miles - not great, but once I ramp it up by a mile a week, it'll be better soon. So mileage for the week was just under 30.

Today: 4 miles. I followed a route with a decent mile or so of incline and I did my best to keep going at a steady clip. 4 miles in 36 mins.

Plan is still to just keep moving and to try run every day in July - nice sloooow miles on what would normally be rest days and maybe tempo/strides thrown in on days when I'm able for it. Still haven't signed up for the half yet, need to do that so I've something to aim for :)

So, almost a month since my last post. And as promised, I managed to run every day in July and every day in August (so far ;)) My running streak is now at 38 days, as I managed the last 3 days in June as well. We were on hols in West Cork for two weeks and I got out every day before the kids got up. I'm a bit of a wuss on country roads so I had a well worn path up and down near the holiday home. I ventured out onto the main road towards Rosscarbery a few times, mainly because it had two decent hills. I haven't done huge mileage - anywhere between 3 and 9 miles at a time. And a lot of the miles have been sloooow - especially when the weather is particularly hot. And some of the runs have been what I call Nike runs - where I "just do it" :rolleyes: But... I have to admit it feels quite good to say I've run so many days on the trot. My next goal is 50 days and I'll see how I feel about a rest day then :D

I signed up for the Race Series Half marathon today - I was thinking about the Athlone Flatline but that nearly killed me last year so best to stick to the Phoenix Park methinks. I've printed out a few plans to help with the next few weeks so I'll cobble together something to try and get a bit of speed back in the legs. So with that in mind, this morning had a couple of tempo miles thrown in for good measure, just to remind me what it feels like to run (relatively) faster than normal... Oooh it wasn't easy... especially as the second mile finished up a nice (rotten) hilly bit.... The fun starts here :)

• Advertisement

Now that was a good start to the day - 6x400 with warmup and cooldown done and dusted by 7:30 a.m. - yay, stupid o'clock running is back :D

I've cobbled together a bit of a plan for the next few weeks, to bring me up to the Race Series Half. I'm still planning to run every day (if possible); loads and loads of nice easy trots around the block :) Monday will be a bit of tempo, Wednesday will be 00s, Saturday will be lsr's. So today was 6x400 @ 5k pace. And it was my first attempt at 00s since (I think) before I hurt my shoulder - 7 long months ago :eek: It wasn't going to be pretty.

Middle Girl has to go to gym in a little while and The Boy is staying in his cousin's, which means no one to mind Smallest Girl, which means alarm at 6:30, on the road by 6:40. Warmup mile was exactly what it said on the tin. 5k pace is supposed to be 7:30ish so 400s should be about 1:50, with about 1:30 recovery in between. First one was 1:51, 2nd was 2:02 (not sure what the hell happened there). Then it went 1:50, 1:48, 1:47, 1:47 Hit stop instead of lap on last repeat because I was so knackered and only noticed when I was almost home, so not completely sure of cooldown - I reckon it was under a mile.

Fairly happy with that, not bad for my first session in a loooong time. Easy run tomorrow and Friday, 10m on Saturday. Happy out :)

Advertisement