Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Anything exciting since last week? No, not much ;) After Wednesday's triumphant return to 00's :P Thursday had an easy 3 miles and Friday an easy 2. Saturday saw the return of double figure runs (woohoo, 10 miles, yeehaw :D) Sunday, a straightforward 3.1, which brought me to just under 30 for the week.

This week:
    Monday:
    Plan: 3 miles.
    Actual: 3.2

Tuesday:
    Plan: 4 miles
    Actual: Get badly lost while plotting 2 mile out, 2 mile back route. Get slightly panicked about how far away from home I am and the likelihood of Smallest girl waking up in a panic about where the hell her Mammy is. Realise how quickly I need to run to get home at a reasonable time, so peg it in the right direction quite fast. End up running 5.8 miles, 3.8 of which are tempo.
    Silver lining to cloud: I did Wednesday's tempo session a day early :rolleyes:

Wednesday:
    Plan: 1 mile w/u, 20 min tempo, 1 mile c/d
    Actual: See Tuesday, did 4 miles instead

Thursday:
    Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3 miles at stupid o'clock because Smallest girl has friend for sleepover and couldn't risk leaving both of them in care of sleeping Oldest child.

So, as of this morning, my running streak is 48 days long. Very happy with this. Legs feel ok, a bit tired - but that's mainly because I had Pilates last night and it was all about the legs. Tomorrow has 2 easy miles so will trot up and down the road, and Saturday has 11 miles in the plan - and if I complete them, I'll hit 50 days. As this is my log, I'm waiting for something to happen. Can anyone else hear that distant ambulance siren??? Fingers crossed...

Woohoo, 50 days in a row! :D

Completed day 49 yesterday with an easy 2 miles. And then.... disaster (almost) struck :eek: Was collecting Middle Girl from gym and equipment had to be put away. I was lifting the beams up at each end to put them on rollers, so they could be put in the store room. Got two of them done and ready to put away. Unfortunately the last one was heavier than expected and as I have virtually no upper body strength, I dropped it. Straight onto my foot. Which was only wearing a sandal. I tell you, my upper body strength appeared very frickin' quickly to get it back off my foot. Gritted my teeth and let out a little yelp (NOT an expletive as there were still lots of smallies in the gym) which caught someone's attention. One of the coaches got me an ice pack and I put it on the foot just in case, but I knew straight away there wasn't going to be too much of a problem - toes could all be flexed, foot could be twisted, I was just going to have a killer of a bruise and a very sore foot for a few days. Phew ;)

So this morning's plan was to see if I could get my shoe on, and then see if I could run a bit without any pain. Got the shoe on, and kept it loosely laced. Headed out the door and foot was fine, and 11.1 miles later it's still ok. A little bit tender but grand nonetheless. And I've run 50 days in a row, happy days :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're flying at the mo. Great to see you clocking up the miles so successfully.
    Steer clear of that equipment though... just in case ;)

Update time :)

Sunday: 3 easy miles, grand :)

Monday: 3.3 miles, yep, ok.

Tuesday: 5 miles, meant to do 4.5 but misjudged distance. No biggie.

Wednesday: Plan said 2x10min tempo with w/u & c/d. But had horrendous night's sleep so decided to do Thursday's 3 miles instead.

Thursday: couldn't put off the dreaded tempo miles for another day, so launched myself out the door with a HTFU kick in the a$$. Warmup mile 9:27, then just over 20 mins tempo - 2.6 miles (8:04, 7:51, 0.6@7:48 pace), cooldown 1.2 miles at 9:10 pace. A good bit of the tempo miles were downhill but into the wind so hopefully one cancels out the other ;) Another one of those runs that is mind over matter. I REALLY didn't want to do it but once I got moving, I was grand and the time passed quickly. The plan did say 2x10 but I felt it was easier to just keep going - baaaad Rachel :rolleyes:

Easy miles tomorrow, 8 miles for Saturday (it's a mini stepback week), and then maybe 3 pace miles on Sunday. Let's see what happens....

Catchup time :)

Friday: easy 2 miles
    Saturday: 8 miles on the nail, a bit tired for this one.
    Sunday: 3 miles, nothing to see here.
    Monday: Just over 3 done.
    Tuesday: 5 miles, felt good.
    Wednesday: Totally wussed out of planned 9x400, did 2 tempo miles instead, with 1 mile w/u and c/d. Head definitely won out over legs. Not happy with myself at all. :mad:
    Thursday: 3.3 miles on tired legs.

Easy miles tomorrow and 12 on Saturday - longest in aaaages.... gulp....

• Advertisement

Ooooh it's been a while. So what's been happening? A bit of running, 30-35 miles per week. Not very long runs - 12.5, 12, 11.5 miles. A bit of speed work - mainly tempo as I'm completely out of love with 00's at the minute. All tipping along nicely towards tomorrow's half marathon in the Phoenix Park. My running streak is (as of this morning) 84 days long.

And of course, because this is my log, something has gone wrong.:( I've a bad cold since Tuesday - high temps, shivers, blocked head, general sh!t feeling. I've managed to run each day anyway, but it's been very very slow and my heart rate has been quite high after each run. At the moment, I'm still deciding whether or not to do tomorrow's race. It's something I've been looking forward to for the past few months so I'm tempted to do it anyway, even if I do 10 min miles - obviously a time goal has gone out of the window. Feeling a bit disappointed and sorry for myself this morning, so will have to self administer a good kick in the ar$e and make a decision either way. Grrrrrr :mad:

Hope you feel okay for tomorrow Rachel.
    Fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery :)

Quick update: decided to just go and do the bloody thing this morning - I knew if I didn't, I'd be going through an extensive "shoulda woulda coulda" remix from 10 a.m. on. Finished in 2:04:42. At least 10 mins slower than original pre-sickie intended time, but 10 mins faster than post-sickie projected time ;) Might do report later if it doesn't interfere too much with some cake eating / paracetemol dosing :)

Another (small) update. Cold went away after the half, kept up with the running streak. Managed to hit 100 days today, yay me :). Did just under 450 miles in those 100 days - if I was training for DCM it wouldn't be enough, but I'm not so happy enough. Heading to Germany for a wedding on Thursday so might not run over there, but I can always start a new 100 days when we get back - will bring the gear anyway ;)

Well it's been quite a while hasn't it?! So what's happened since last October? I went to the wedding in Germany mentioned in the last post, brought my gear and ran every day - even the morning after getting to bed at 5 a.m. the night before. I've run every day since 27 June 2014, which as of this morning is 215 days. Touch wood, I've no aches or pains. Pleeeease let that continue :)

So what about any races? Did the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's day, and wasn't particularly happy with how it went - even though it was 30 secs faster than the previous year's run. Oh well, onwards and upwards. Raheny 5 was last Sunday. I didn't have any great plans for this - I've done no speed work at all over the past while, just throwing in the odd tempo run here and there, so I knew there wasn't any great speed in the legs. Still, I was hoping for under 40 minutes and started accordingly, well back in the first wave. Should've either moved up further or started at the front of the second wave - mad congestion for the first half mile or so meant I was stopping/starting the whole time. When I finally got into my stride I felt good. However the hill defeated me this year, had to concentrate very hard on not barfing. Final chip time was 40:03 - 4 fricking seconds off a sub 40 time. grrrrr....

Anyway, the main goal for this year is the Berlin Marathon in September - 34 weeks away apparently. (who's counting? oh yeah, me :rolleyes:)
    I was attempting to cobble together some form of a plan to keep me occupied until the real work starts - then while I was running last week I was listening to the Marathon Talk podcast and they were interviewing Lorraine Moller, who was talking about Lydiard. And she gave a web address for a coach in the UK. So I had a look at the website and filled in a contact form. Got some emails back from the coach with questions, which I then answered. Got some more questions, answered them all. So I now have a preliminary 4 week base building plan to get me ready for the MSB 5k. After that, there will be some tweaking and hopefully a plan will be put in place for Berlin. I'm really happy to have something to follow for a while - I've been quite aimless for a few months, which was fine when I was trying to get the mojo fired but not much good when I actually want to DO something.

So this week so far:
    As I mentioned, the plan is base building at the moment, and it's centred on time rather than distance. A lot of easy running (but there are different types of easy, if that makes sense;)), with some fartlek and strides thrown in on different days.
    Monday: 90 mins easy.
    Tuesday: 35 mins easy
    Wednesday: 30 mins at 3/4 pace - which I took to mean slightly slower than 5k pace. Very hard running into this morning's wind, but quite nice when it was behind me, pushing me home :)

I like the fact that I'm not counting miles or kms, just running out for a certain amount of time and then running home. I'm also helping a few friends out with C25K so the miles are definitely being covered. I have to feedback on how the week has gone over the weekend and then next week might be tweaked. The coach emphasised the enjoyment aspect of it , it will get harder though! 34 weeks and counting.....

• Advertisement

Lovely to see you on Sunday Rachel (even if you were cursing up a blue storm about a few seconds... :P)
    Hope you enjoyed that well earned goodie bag too.

Emer911 wrote: »
    Lovely to see you on Sunday Rachel (even if you were cursing up a blue storm about a few seconds... :P)
    Hope you enjoyed that well earned goodie bag too.

Oh I'm really sorry Emer, I was so annoyed about those 5 seconds on the garmin! To make matters worse, chip time was 40:03 - THREE F***ING SECONDS :mad: Good to see you too :)

Rest of week update:
    Thursday: 45 mins + 1 hour pilates - haven't been to pilates since November and I felt every frickin bit of it. Still slightly achy now and it's Sunday.

Friday: 35 mins with 8 sets of 10sec strides.
    From now on when I'm doing strides, I have to think "fast feet, fast feet". I did that and they felt good :)

Saturday: 30 min easy jog

Sunday: 10 min warmup followed by 20 min fartlek.
    Surprisingly this felt great. No real structure, just fast for as long as I wanted (up to 120 seconds), then slow, then fast, etc etc etc. Quite enjoyable :)

Plan for next week is fairly similar to this. Slightly longer long run (100 minutes) and I've to give a Parkrun a fair go next Saturday. I covered 122 miles in January so feeling fairly good at the moment, not too many aches and pains. Of course because I feel ok and my running is alright, that means I'm waiting for a disaster to happen... Fingers crossed this is another good week :D

Program for this week almost the same as last week, just an extra 10 mins on the long run and I was to give a Parkrun a go. So:

Monday:
    35 mins easy running + C25K

Tuesday:
    30 mins at 3/4 5k race pace - smallest child sick and off school so couldn't get out till someone came home to mind her, hence 30 mins of pegging it around the block at slightly faster than intended pace to make sure I was close by if she needed me.

Wednesday:
    100 mins easy running + C25K

Thursday:
    45 mins easy + 1 hour pilates (legs & arms - jeez it hurt)

Friday:
    35 mins w/ 12 x 10 sec strides, + C25K. Miscounted the strides, should have been between 8 and 10 but an extra couple never hurt anyone ;)

Saturday: Parkrun
    First time to do this, did the St. Anne's Park one. Great course, lovely day for it. Tried to run by feel rather than relying on watch. Was a bit annoyed at halfway to hear the steward say 12:20 as I thought I was faster than that. Picked up the pace on second lap to finish in 23:51 - increase in pace helped massively by two chaps behind me, one who was the worst heavy breather I have ever heard and the other who kept spitting as he ran. Lovely, just lovely. Quite happy to come in under 24, and will aim to get under 23 as the year goes on.

So a decent week so far, hopefully the coach agrees :)

I've been sniffly and snuffly all week so there's a definite whack of self pity off this week's update ;)

Monday:
    Plan: 30 mins easy
    Actual: 30 mins easy + C25K.

Tuesday:
    Plan: 35 mins easy
    Actual: 32 mins easy
    Starting to feel a bit dodgy, head cold kicking in.

Wednesday:
    Plan: 30 mins 3/4 pace + C25K
    Actual: 28 mins @ 8 min pace.
    Just ran by feel without looking at pace, time only. Was surprised I was running at a fair clip, felt fairly crap during and after.

Thursday:
    Plan: 45 mins easy
    Actual: 41 mins easy
    Felt horrendous but kept going. Was quite pleased I managed to get home without keeling over ;)

Friday:
    Plan: 35 mins easy + strides
    Actual: 35 mins + 7 strides
    Strides had a distinctly "meh" quality to them. Did them because I didn;t want to wuss out.

Saturday:
    Plan: 110 mins easy
    Actual: 110 mins easy
    Felt slightly better at start, felt slightly dodgy at end.

So that's my week. Bizarrely, seeing it written down makes me feel slightly better about the fact that I kept going and just did it. Enjoyment levels were quite low this week but that happens. Next week will be better.

Take care of yourself. Sounds like there a does brewing there :confused:

Take care of yourself. Sounds like there a does brewing there :confused:

Thanks Emer, it's just a head cold with added coughing but it's driving me mad. Didn't do my fartlek session yesterday because I felt wojus, so tried it this morning. Came up the road at the end breathing like an oul lad who smokes 80 Sweet Afton a day :) Hopefully it's gone soon - and silver lining: at least I tried to fartlek ;)

Right, it's been 3 months since my last update :eek: How on earth did that happen? Well, I haven't updated because there hasn't been a lot to update. I've managed to keep my running streak going - it's now at 319 days on the trot. I even got out while I had a chest infection (the doc told me she'd tell anyone else to stop running for 10 days but she knew I wouldn't listen :o so I was to run slowly and for no more than 20 mins) and also while I had a week long migraine - I thought if I got out and got some air, it might help the headache. It didn't. But it didn't make it worse. Just after the chest infection, I ran the MSB 5k. Didn't have a goal, just to finish. The chip time was 24:01 and I was miffed about not getting under 24, even though I'd been ill. Then I saw something about the clock being wrong and times being changed, and I rechecked and: hurray! 23:59! Isn't it amazing how two seconds make all the difference.

It is now 19 weeks and 4 days till the Berlin marathon so I'm going to try and keep a record of training over the next while. I'm still in touch with the Lydiard coach and he has me on a sort of base builder for the next 8 weeks. It's nice and straightforward - some easy runs, a session with strides, another with fartlek, an out-and-back strong run, and a long run at weekends. I hadn't heard from him for a couple of weeks so I thought, "right he has other proper people to train and I don't want to hassle him with my nonsense, so I'll start a Hal Higdon plan". No sooner had I printed out the program, than I got an email from him with info for the next 8 weeks :)

Time for logging of actual runs :D
    Monday: 58 mins easy run, a few strides thrown in at the end.

Tuesday: Plan was for 10 min w/u followed by 30 min fartlek.
    This was definitely a mind over matter run. The wind was (and still is) howling but I htfu'd and did my 30 mins. Coach recommends if possible, that some of this be done off road and on different terrains. So I jogged up to the local park and used the football pitches for some of the faster bits. The howling wind was definitely an issue and some faster bits were a lot slower than they should've been because they were into the headwind, but the effort level was the same. Cooldown jog home. 8.5k done. (Sorry mile people, I'll be training in kms until Berlin because I think the markers are in kms. I still think in miles but will record in kms ;))

I haven't been listening to music much recently while running - if it's a long run, I listen to podcasts. This morning, I decided to shuffle the music on my new phone. Now, there is a problem with that: Because I haven't been listening to my stuff, I hadn't downloaded any playlists. And my itunes account is now the domain of my 9 and 12 yr old daughters. Which meant that, while I had some of my old favourites, my playlist this morning included Let it go (of course), a bit of Katy Perry, Taio Cruz, David Guetta; mercifully small amounts of One Direction and 5 seconds of summer; and a bit of LMFAO and the Les Miserables and Annie soundtracks (what can I say, their tastes are as varied as their mother's). And I can't work the fast forward button on my headphones so whatever came on, I listened to. And ran faster to get away from ;) Anyway, the last few minutes of the fartlek coincided with Bon Jovi, Livin' on a prayer. So that's the song for this marathon cycle :) That, and David Guetta's Titanium ;) Hope you all have a good week.

racheljev wrote: »

Anyway, the last few minutes of the fartlek coincided with Bon Jovi, Livin' on a prayer. So that's the song for this marathon cycle :) That, and David Guetta's Titanium ;) Hope you all have a good week.

Anthem for the marathon: Titanium / Livin' on a prayer

Hmm.... what does that say, I wonder? :rolleyes:

Anthem for the marathon: Titanium / Livin' on a prayer

Hmm.... what does that say, I wonder? :rolleyes:

Probably that I'm about to end up with titanium knees and I'm praying to God/Buddha/Krishna/Oprah Winfrey that I actually finish the marathon :D

Wednesday:
    Plan for for 40-60 mins, but actually did Saturday's long run instead - 15kms, 1:30

Thursday:
    Plan is rest or easy short jog. 4 kms.

Friday:
    32 mins easy, 5.5 kms

Saturday:
    House behind us decided to have party which ended up in their garden at 5 a.m. so wide awake from very early. Silver lining to that cloud was that I got up around 7, and got out and did 8.5 kms before 8 a.m. :)

Sunday:
    Plan 30-40 min strong run.
    Started with 10 min w/u, then did 27 mins @ 5 min/km pace. Finished with 6 min c/d. 8.1 kms

59 kms for the week, decent start to the base building, happy days :)

This week's sessions.

Monday:
    50 mins, 9 kms easy. A bit of uphill, a windy day.

Tuesday:
    Fartlek session. 10 min w/u, 30 min fartlek, 10 min c/d.
    Had wind, rain, sun and hailstones in the 50 mins I was out of the house. Was soaking, freezing and (bizarrely) roasting when I got home :) 9.2 kms.

Wednesday:
    62 mins, 10.5 kms easy. Very hot day, summer is going to kill me when it finally arrives.

Thursday:
    23 mins, 3.8kms. Ran to and from pilates class. First class in about 4 months, still in pain.

Friday:
    20 mins, 4 kms. Pegged it around the block before 8 a.m. as girlies off school because of referendum.

Saturday:
    100 mins, 16.6 kms easy. Another hot morning. Didn't think I'd need a drink but I did. And I didn't have one. Oh well.

Sunday:
    Out and back run. 11 min w/u, 3k out in 15 mins, 3k back in 14:30, 11 min c/d.
    9.7 kms.

A decent enough week, happy with it. Hopefully the same next week (and hopefully less pain after pilates ;)). 18 weeks to Berlin.

• Advertisement

Monday:
    53 mins, 8.9 kms. A grand run, nothing more, nothing less.

Tuesday:
    Fartlek. 10 min warmup followed by 30 min fartlek. Finished with 8 min c/d. This was a mind over matter session. Knackered tired so told myself I'd do 15 min fartlek. Fooled myself into 20 mins and managed to follow a route that meant I was too far from home to just finish with a cooldown. So 30 minutes it was :)

Wednesday:
    44 mins, 7.5 kms. Took it very easy for this.

Thursday:
    Easy run to and from pilates class. 23 mins in total, 4.4 kms and an hour of pilates which nearly fricking killed me.

Might give the parkrun in St. Annes a go this weekend. Will decide depending on how I feel on Saturday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Tuesday:
    Fartlek. 10 min warmup followed by 30 min fartlek. Finished with 8 min c/d. This was a mind over matter session. Knackered tired so told myself I'd do 15 min fartlek. Fooled myself into 20 mins and managed to follow a route that meant I was too far from home to just finish with a cooldown. So 30 minutes it was :)

:)

Nothing better than hitting a session when you don't have the mojo for it.

Any time I was struggling on fartleks my awareness of the watch diminishes so hard efforts get shorter, recoveries get longer and I convince myself it's still as good a session as I could have done.

Are you following a particular plan for the marathon yet?

:)

Are you following a particular plan for the marathon yet?

I'm in a building phase at the minute. In another few weeks the tough work will really start!

Rest of the week update:

Friday:
    38 mins easy, 6.5 km.

Saturday:
    St. Anne's Parkrun.

Decided to give this a go if the weather was good. If the weather was bad, I'd do my long run instead. Woke up, good weather, off to St. Annes :)
    Got there in loads of time, quick warmup and off we went. Didn't really have a time in mind but was thinking I wouldn't mind something around 23:30. I started very far back as usual and there was a bit of congestion up ahead. As I got a bit further up I could see someone on the ground but there were loads of people around her, looking after her and I was on the opposite side of the track so i kept going - discovered this morning it was poor BungyGirl, taken out by a hound from hell :eek:
    Anyway, got into a decent rhythm. I though if I kept the avg pace on the garmin at somewhere about 4:42 I should come in close enough to 23:30. It was a good bit higher for the first lap - 4:50-4:55 - but it started to come down during the second lap. As we came down the avenue at the end of the first lap, someone behind me said "good pace, what are you aiming for?" I said 23:30. He said, grand I'll hang on for a while if that's ok. I was immediately chuffed - someone using me as a pacer? Woohoo :) Of course then I felt under pressure to keep him at the same pace :rolleyes: Anyway he stayed with me for a few minutes but then dropped off and I didn't have the energy to turn around and encourage him. Pace picked up a teeny bit in the second lap but didn't ever get down to 4:42 so I knew I probably wouldn't hit 23:30. Got it to 4:45 and crossed the finish line at 23:41. 10 secs faster than my first Parkrun but still a long way off my 5k pb. Oh well. Another quick km cooldown back to the car. 7k for the day.

Sunday:
    16.1 kms, 96 mins.
    As I missed the long run on Saturday due to the Parkrun, and as The Boy doesn't have Gaa this week because of the bank holiday/alleged exams studying, I did my long(ish) run this morning. 16.1 kms done before 10 a.m., happy days.

59.2 kms for the week, 245.3 kms for May. (Can I just say, I don't like working in kms. As soon as Berlin is over - 17 weeks today! - I'll be gone from metric and back to statute ;))

Haven't been on Boards in ages so trying to catch up...

Some great running going on here Rachel. Keep that up and you'll play a blinder in Berlin! It's a great course - very flat - and they even have showers at the end (in the park... in a tent... sure only in Germany!:P:D)

Looking forward to following your progress over the next few week ;)

Some great running going on here Rachel. Keep that up and you'll play a blinder in Berlin!

Sssh, don't say things like that, I'm currently waiting on the next bout of injury / sickness / minor plague that normally happens when I have a decent few weeks in a row ;)

Monday:
    9k easy, followed by a few strides at the end. Nice way to start a fairly rotten bank holiday :)

Tuesday:
    10 min warmup, 30 min fartlek, 8 min cooldown.
    Another mind over matter run. The wind was horrendous, no matter which direction I faced. To distract myself by making myself concentrate on the watch rather than the weather, did intervals of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 120, 90, 120, 90, 60 secs (with same again for recovery). The pace of most of these was quicker than 5k pace, even with the wind, so happy enough to have fooled myself again :-)

Wednesday:
    Plan was 40-60 mins easy. 10k, 59 mins. A grand run.

Thursday:
    Woke up before 5 with the start of a migraine. Managed to get some tablets in, which meant it turned into a bad headache instead of a full blown attack. Decided to get out of the house for a few minutes to get some air and ended up with a very slow 4k - better than nothing ;)

Friday:
    Had to do this at my old stupid o'clock time because Middle Child was in Morton Stadium all morning and I wasn't sure if I'd get a run done. 5.4k, 30 mins. Felt a bit wobbly when I got up but assumed it was because of the early hour.

Saturday:
    Up early again and extra wobbly. Woohoo, vertigo is back in town. Still managed a long run though. Felt a teeny bit wobbly throughout, sort of like I was a bit hungover (which I wasn't, chance would be a fine thing :rolleyes:) Was getting a bit bored with the same routes so headed towards town and the quays. Ran towards Kilmainham and got a bit lost but got back on track, thanks to a friendly taximan. He was stopped outside an apartment complex and I said "where am I?" He looked a bit askance at me so I explained I'd taken a wrong turn (I thought I was heading to Kilmainham Jail but I wasn't :o) He pointed me in the direction of the Luas tracks and once I got there and saw St. James Hospital, I sort of knew where I was again :) Onto the quays, all the way to the East Wall road (bar a very necessary pitstop in the Jury's Hotel near the Custom House, which was full of English football fans picking up their tickets for today's match). Up to Clontarf and then finally home - 18.9k, 113 mins.

Sunday:
    Plan was for 30-40 min strong run, with w/u and c/d. Vertigo not great this morning so managed 10 min w/u, 16 min at a tempoish pace and 17 min c/d - 7.6k

63.8k for the week, just under 40 miles in old money. Heading to doc tomorrow to double check my vertigo diagnosis - it doesn't trouble me too much but best to get it checked anyway :)

Originally Posted by Emer911
    Some great running going on here Rachel. Keep that up and you'll play a blinder in Berlin!
    Sssh, don't say things like that, I'm currently waiting on the next bout of injury / sickness / minor plague that normally happens when I have a decent few weeks in a row ;)

As if by magic, the bout of something or other appeared :mad: As I mentioned last week, I had a touch of vertigo. It was worse by Monday so I went to the doctor. She prescribed me a course of tablets, told me to take 8mg to start and double to 16 on Wednesday if I needed. I decided I would need it so I double dosed from the start. NOT a good plan as they made me feel even worse than the vertigo did.
    Some other things I've learnt not to do while suffering from vertigo:
    1. Do not try to hang curtains. If you do, you will end up falling on your ass, much like a toddler does when s/he is learning to walk. At least they were bedroom curtains so I fell backwards onto the bed.
    2. Don't close your eyes in the shower while washing your hair. It is better to get shampoo in your eyes than close them, lose balance, rock backwards and headbutt the shower unit.
    3. After washing your hair, it's best not to throw your head down as normal to put your hair in a towel. This will result in a graceless lunge forward that will see you knock down every shampoo bottle in the room and almost end up in the sink.
    4. Do not attempt to make up for a missed pilates class by trying some of the moves at home. The change in head direction during cat to cow will mean you topple over quite quickly and nut the floor. Try to remember that this lack of balance was the reason you decided to miss pilates in the first place.
    I posted the above on facebook during the week and I got a text from a friend saying, you made me laugh so much (even though I knew I shouldn't) that I spat out my coffee. ;)

The doc is a runner herself and told me not to worry or obsess too much about getting behind on my training - a week to get over the bout and a week to catch back up, that's what she told me. Anyway, I managed a very small number of miles this week. I still got out every day though, so that's something - my streak is still on, yay! I'm also starting to feel a bit more like myself again, not so much falling over and headbutting going on :-)

I signed up for the Sonia 5k ages ago so I'm heading out to Dun Laoghaire tonight with a very slow 5k in mind. if I get anywhere near 25 minutes, I'll be happy - the legs feel very heavy and evening races aren't my thing, but I hate missing something when I've gone to the trouble of signing up and collecting the number. If I get on ok, I'll post about it tomorrow (if anyone is remotely able to read after the beer mile fun and games ;))

Ran the Sonia 5k last night and got on ok, so a teeny tiny report is in order :)

Headed to the Dart during the first half of the Irish match so hit Dun Laoghaire in loads of time. Lots of people milling around but not as many as I expected (think there were just over a thousand finishers in the end). Did my usual double toilet stop and headed over to queue up. I couldn't see any signs for pens - in the info sheet, it said there'd be pens for elites, 21-25 min runners and 26 and above. No pens in evidence, just lots and lots of slogger to jogger pink tshirts right up the front. I have nothing against slogger to joggers but when two of them stand on my foot and elbow me out of the way as they push their way to the front, it's not going to make me think nicely of them. The warmup dude was giving it socks on the PA, Sonia said hello to everyone and off we went. Immediately I was caught trying to get past people, especially the aforementioned slogger to joggers, strung out across the front. I passed them before we reached the first corner but it definitely slowed me down a fair bit. A bit of a drag out of the first corner and then onto Georges Street. It got a little bit narrower here so I had to jump up on the path a few times but it was grand. Didn't much like the cobblestones around this point - flash back to the Luxembourg marathon a few years ago! Hit 1k, 5:10. I was moving nicely and feeling ok. Say RayCun around the 2k marker (I think it was 2k) and said hello. 2k, 4:45, so I'd picked up a bit and was happy. 3rd k started to hurt a little bit as it was still into the little bit of wind but I told myself that meant we'd have that little bit of wind at our back towards the finish. 3k, 4:45. Another bit of drag as we turned onto the coast again but the wind was helping and I knew we hadn't long to go. 4k, 4:40. Last bit of drag up past Teddys, where I saw someone eating an icecream (of course), jeez it looked massive, I would've LOVED an icecream at that point :) As we got closer to the finish, there was a decent crowd and lots of people clapping. Then Sonia herself ran back down the line of runners (she'd finished in under 20 mins of course) and high fived everyone she passed - I got a high five from Sonia, chuffed! Tried to inject a final bit of speed into my legs to the line, but there wasn't a whole lot left, final k 4:39. 5.08k, watch time 24:06, Chip time 24:07.

As I was aiming for sub 25 and ended up not far from 24, I'm fairly happy. The first k congestion cost me a bit, and my legs are still a bit heavy after my vertigo week. Also, it was a testing enough course - more difficult than my recent 23:40 in St. Anne's Park. So, happy out.

Sunday:
    5.7k easy, 32 mins, to end the week. 36.1k for the week. Next week, catchup and back to the program :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great running there, especially the week that was in it! Shows the value of starting conservatively too (*gives self pep-talk* :D ). Grr to those slogger joggers up the front :rolleyes:

Advertisement