Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can see the sun in wintertime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the run tomorrow... and to the little ones. :D Hope they enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hope you have a nice fun day tomorrow Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

My Nana died tonight. It's a cliche, but it doesn't feel real yet. For obvious reasons, GIR is not happening. I feel as if I've cried non stop for the past day and I'm not finished yet. If you're of the inclination, will you say a prayer for Betty King, who died at 8:15 and who was probably in heaven by twenty past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very sorry to hear that Rachel.

*hugs*

So sorry to hear your very sad news Rachel. Prayer said. xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Very sorry to hear rach.

3.7 miles in 34:48. A much needed run. This last week has been, without doubt, one of the hardest in my life so far. Obviously didn't do GIR on Sunday, instead went back to Nana's house and organised her funeral mass with my cousin - as the only two who go to mass, we were expected to know what to do! Nana came back home on Tuesday and her mass was on Wednesday. The only problem with the funeral was that she wasn't there to talk about it afterwards - she would have LOVED it. My cousin is studying to be a Carmelite and a shed load of priests came to the funeral - there were 7 priests on the altar. I sang and my cousin did the sermon. Her grandkids and greatgrandkids did prayers and readings - it was the perfect funeral! Thursday and Friday were spent trying to get back to a routine. So this morning I decided a run would be good and it was. Really needed to get out for a while.

Thanks for all the messages, here, on fb and on my phone. I really appreciated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

racheljev wrote: »
    3.7 miles in 34:48. A much needed run. This last week has been, without doubt, one of the hardest in my life so far. Obviously didn't do GIR on Sunday, instead went back to Nana's house and organised her funeral mass with my cousin - as the only two who go to mass, we were expected to know what to do! Nana came back home on Tuesday and her mass was on Wednesday. The only problem with the funeral was that she wasn't there to talk about it afterwards - she would have LOVED it. My cousin is studying to be a Carmelite and a shed load of priests came to the funeral - there were 7 priests on the altar. I sang and my cousin did the sermon. Her grandkids and greatgrandkids did prayers and readings - it was the perfect funeral! Thursday and Friday were spent trying to get back to a routine. So this morning I decided a run would be good and it was. Really needed to get out for a while.

Thanks for all the messages, here, on fb and on my phone. I really appreciated it.

So sorry to hear about your Nana but happy that the funeral was so positive and a celebration of her life....There's no doubt that the freedom and escape we all get from running will be very useful to you over the next few weeks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just catching up on this now Rachel. Sorry to hear about your Nana.

3.1 miles in 29:36. Not following plan at the minute, just getting back into a few miles a week. Legs ok, muscle in right leg still mad tight though - need to get back to physio. Kids on Easter hols for next two weeks so back to the early mornings. Bit of good news yesterday after a sh!t few weeks - Niamh won three medals in her gym comp, silver for team and gold for bars and vault, very happy (and slightly weepy) Mammy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry about your nan rachel, it must be a really tough time for you at the moment. Look after yourself.

Great news about your daughters success, I'm sure it was a well needed boost for you all :).

4 miles in 37:19, avg pace 9:19. A "not bad" one this morning. Still not totally feeling the running love at the minute but a run like that helps. Tried out my new shoes as well - Adidas Supernova Glide, now that's a fancy name. Traded in a crappy pair of New Balance and got some shiny new shoes for 67.50, not bad. They feel ok, similar enough to the Nimbus, maybe slightly less cushioning on the heel. A bit too white though - they definitely need a bit of rain and muck. Anyway, 4 miles, not great but not too bad either.

6.2 miles in 59:14. Didn't get out thursday or friday - absolutely knackered at the minute. I thought that, after Nana died, I'd sleep better because I wouldn't be waiting every night for the phone to ring to tell me to get to the hospital asap. But I'm not sleeping better, I'm tossing and turning every night. I'm getting out of bed and walking downstairs because I just can't get to sleep until about 5-6 a.m. and I don't want to wake OH up. So thursday and friday were a total washout. But I was absolutely determined that I was getting out this morning. So 8:45 and I was out the door.:) And 6.2 miles later - my longest run since Barca, shame! - I feel a bit better. I told myself I'd run for an hour, however far that was and I hit the house at 59:14 so I wasn't far off. Must get out tomorrow, have to get the mojo back...

3.1 miles in 29:18, made myself get up and out cos OH said "you'll be grumpy if you don't". And he was right, so I did. Went out with a route in mind but just before half way, saw 3 lads with hoodies and bottles so aboutturned and went back the way I came. Did a quick loop around the block to bring it over 3 miles. A bit of a blah one, but at least it's done.

Bad news: at docs today with sore throat, swollen glands and aching body - have acute tonsillitis, on antibiotics for the next week.:(
    Good news: think I got place in NYC marathon lottery . When I put in my name, it tells me congrats I'm selected. But I can't access my entrant info until tomorrow apparently so not completely sure...:)

Well done on getting in NYC - now that will be some experience! Hope you are feeling a bit better.

3.6 miles in 34:16. An alright run for my first one in two weeks. Tonsillitis completely wiped me out. I think I was probably a bit run down anyway, but the sore throat, swollen glands, sore body all combined to finish me off :rolleyes: There was no way I was running when I felt so bad and low. Niamh's communion was on Saturday and I felt ok for that, about time I felt half normal again! Sunday was rest day after the day before so this morning was HTFU and SIU time. Alarm went off at 6, I was out the door at 10 past. Legs felt ok, breathing all over the place though. Still, got some miles done and hopefully some more this week. I'd want to get my act together though - it's 4 weeks to the Cork relay - I will definitely win the prize for slowest section....

3.3 miles in 30:31. A grand run this morning. Up and out at 6:10 again, much prefer getting it out of the way early :). A bit windy out there but nothing to worry too much about. Legs felt ok after yesterday's run and last night's hour of zumba - loving the zumba, it's great craic and a solid hour of unexpected cardio:) Mile 3 was 8:50, which is quicker than I thought. Hiopefully another run tomorrow, will see how the legs are.

3.3 miles in 29:20. Didn't go out yesterday - knackered, so went out this morning. Legs felt good and fresh so after a mile warm up, I threw in a few sets of strides - about 0.1 mile times 6. Not completely sure of distance but ran for 10 trees if that makes sense! Some of the trees were further apart than others but I reckon it was about 0.1 mile. Recovery was another few trees in between. Miles 2 & 3 were 8:40 & 8:32. Nice run.

7.3 miles in 1:10:05. Longest run since Barcelona. Went out just before 7:30 so not too warm, just nice. Tried to keep a steady pace, around 9:40. Went a bit faster on the downhills but kept it steady for the uphills. Finished with a little uphill road beside me, it's about .2 mile but it's steep enough (for me!). The plan from now is to finish most of my runs with this bit because it'll help me get used to coping with a little bit of steepness after a run, whether it's 2 or 20 miles :) Apparently, that's what I'll need for New York - yeah baby!

• Advertisement

Good stuff, great to see ya getting back properly this week :)
    (I'll be doing a similar run tomorrow as my longest since Barcelona too...)

3.6 miles in 34 mins. A few miles to round off the first decent week in ages - 21.1 miles this week, hallelujah! Nothing spectacular today, went a bit faster on mile 2, and finished with my mini hill. Lovely and rainy out there this morning, enjoyed that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice to see ya back Rach

No run Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday due to a stonker of a migraine. Head still tender this morning but no pain so got out for 4.2 miles in 39:21. Not a spectacular run by any stretch, but just happy to be out and moving. Got my Boards training top yesterday (thanks D'Pop) so will give it a run out over the weekend. If anyone is over the northside and sees a Boards top worn by a sweaty chubby redfaced woman with brown curly hair, it's me - say hello!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Alright team-mate, how goes the training for Cork bhoi :D

3.5 miles in 33:10. Right thigh a bit stiff this morning but it felt ok once I got going. Another thing to keep an eye on :rolleyes: Still feeling the effects of the migraine and the antibiotics - feeling a bit wiped out. Aiming for 8-9 miles tomorrow, see how it goes.
    shazkea wrote: »
    Alright team-mate, how goes the training for Cork bhoi :D

Jeez Shaz, not too good! I assume I'm down for the slowest shortest leg.... Have to work out how I'm going to get there in the first place. We're at a communion in Antrim on the Sunday. We head up first thing Sunday morning and head back in the evening but not sure I'd make the Cork train. So it looks like I drive down late Sunday night and sleep in the car or very blinkin' early Monday morning... and I have to be back Monday night cos kids in school on Tuesday and OH can't take the day off. Jeez what a social whirl my life is ;)

I assume I'm down for the slowest shortest leg.... Have to work out how I'm going to get there in the first place. We're at a communion in Antrim on the Sunday. We head up first thing Sunday morning and head back in the evening but not sure I'd make the Cork train. So it looks like I drive down late Sunday night and sleep in the car or very blinkin' early Monday morning... and I have to be back Monday night cos kids in school on Tuesday and OH can't take the day off. Jeez what a social whirl my life is ;)

Want the last leg then - 4.5 miles? I will be picking up the stuff for the whole team on the Sunday afternoon anyway so no rush there.

8.2 miles in 1:18:20. Spent last night in Nana's house with my aunts and cousins, trying to tidy up and get all her stuff together. But of course we looked at old photos and cried a lot instead of doing stuff that needed to be done! I wasn't home till after 1 am so wasn't in the mood when the alarm went off just after 7. But today is a busy day so if I wanted to get my 8 miles in, I had to get out pronto, and so I did. Tried to keep the pace down - want to make sure that my slow runs are slow, but it's hard. I keep wanting to speed up a bit. I took a route that would mean a decent incline at 4 miles - it's just under half a mile and it's always been a bit of slog for me but I got it done. The rest was fairly uneventful. Happy with that, and happy with the fact that it's 3 days in a row - haven't done that in ages :)

4.1 miles in 39:02. Nice run, 4 days in a row woohoo! Very windy and swirly so struggled a little bit on my bit of uphill but kept a steady enough pace of around 9:31. 20 miles for a week that had no running on monday, tuesday or wednesday so happy with that. Off to Greystones now with my girlie no.1 who is competing in the National Gymnastic championships on bars and vault. Hoping to meet Emer911 whose girlie is also competing. Go on the girlz!:)

• Advertisement

Best of luck to the little ones :D

Off to Greystones now with my girlie no.1 who is competing in the National Gymnastic championships on bars and vault. Hoping to meet Emer911 whose girlie is also competing. Go on the girlz!:)

Lovely to meet you Rachel.
    Congrats to the wee one on her medals.

So the girlies won medals yesterday! Emer911's girl got two golds and my girlie got a bronze in level 3 vault and a silver in team comp. She started the day with a horrendous fall from the bar which nearly gave me a heart attack and even now, thinking of it, my stomach churns. But she got back up and did her vault - we make them tough on the northside ;) Anyway, plan was for no running today because of zumba tonight. But a friend of mine has no walking partner for a couple of weeks so I said I'd bring her out for a run/walk session. 2 miles done in mad wind and rain, more running than walking. Which means I've 5 days in a row, woohoo!

5.8 miles in total - 2.1 run/walk with a buddy, and 3.7 on my own at 9:09 pace. A few uphill and downhill bits that were made harder by the mad swirly wind. Came back home to find smallest girl's (quite heavy) plastic house sitting in oldest boy's goal - quite a sight... Still trying to work out what's the best way to get to Cork from Antrim for relay. Think I'll have a lot of driving that weekend...

27 May: 3.4 miles in 32:27. Forgot to log this yesterday because it was so blah....

28 May: 8.6 miles in 1:21:01. A tough one this morning. Wind made it feel much harder than it should have been. Sick of the weather now, feck off wind I've had enough of you this week. At least 5 frickin' miles were done into the wind, and any of the little uphills were all into the wind as well. And when was the wind behind me? Going downhill - fat lot of good that is... Anyway, just glad that's done. I'm looking out the window now and the stupid wind seems to have died down...typical.:rolleyes:

3.5 miles in 33:18. 23.3 for the week. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.... very strictly obeying the 10% increase rule this time around. Should be at 30ish when New York training cycle starts. Need to find a song for this cycle - "I've got a feeling" was for DCM '09, "In a big country" was for Barcelona, not sure what New York '11 will be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3.5 miles in 33:18. 23.3 for the week. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.... very strictly obeying the 10% increase rule this time around. Should be at 30ish when New York training cycle starts. Need to find a song for this cycle - "I've got a feeling" was for DCM '09, "In a big country" was for Barcelona, not sure what New York '11 will be...

Rachel ur song for New York has to b :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-T7bCUrfJw&feature=fvwrel

Fab song and our vintage too :eek:

Thanks Liamo, love that one, it'll be on the lsr list. And it reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbsQ78MKA8&feature=related which is an 80's classic, love it!

Ooh! I love the idea of having a theme tune. Might just nick that idea for my Chicago marathon plan. Now, off to pick an appropriate song... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Emer911 wrote: »
    Ooh! I live the idea of having a theme tune. Might just nick that idea for my Chicago marathon plan. Now, off to pick an appropriate song... :p

Emer this one's 4 u......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aSbKvm_mKA

Now time 4 me to leave Rachels log alone :D

Monday: 2.1 miles walk/run with friend.
    Wednesday: 2.2 miles with friend, 4.3 on my own at 9:24 avg pace.
    Looking forward to Monday and Cork, but not confident of being remotely quick. Legs feel distinctly unspeedy at the minute, reckon I'm looking at being the slowest even though my section is the shortest. Oh the embarrassment:o...

• Advertisement

Legs feel distinctly unspeedy at the minute, reckon I'm looking at being the slowest even though my section is the shortest. Oh the embarrassment:o...

There's a very decent chance that I'll be even slower. Haven't run since Saturday, and it'll probably be tomorrow or Friday by the time I can lace up my runners again... :eek:

Looking forward to meeting ye all on Monday.

Im also very very slow at the moment by the way:)

3.5 miles on my own in 32:37, followed by 2.1 run/walk with my buddy. Jeez it's hot out there - saw some schoolgirls after almost 2 miles and definitely heard them say "sweaty betty" as I passed by. Oooh the horror.... So mortified!

. Oooh the horror.... So mortified!
    Northsider fail. Yeh were bleedin' morto :pac:

Northsider fail. Yeh were bleedin' morto :pac:

ye're righ', I was scarleh, like, scarleh o bleedin' hara

I was very nervous about this. I reckoned I was the team's weakest link - I've no real speed in the legs at the minute and no mojo at all leading up to Monday. I whined for most of Sunday about this and luckily enough, no one decked me. We were hoping for 3:45 - Claralara and Vagga were talking 8 min miles and RQ was heading for 7:30. I was mumbling about 9 min while RQ kept telling me, you're able for 8:30. Not a hope sez I, it'll be 9 at best.

Monday morning, headed to the start line to wave off the runners. Mr Slow looked calm and collected, in a zen like state amongst the smell of deep heat. Off they went and off we went to City hall to get ready to head to the relay changeover points. I was at my point just before 11, with about an hour to wait for RQ. At about 11:45, I really needed to go to the loo but I dithered so much about whether I had enough time, of course I didn't have enough time in the end. The thoughts of RQ coming through the changeover point and not seeing me was enough to frighten the bejeezus out of me, so I stayed put. She'd been threatening to chase to the end but when she came through, she threw the band, roared "go on" and I legged it. Fear is a great motivator...

Mile 1 was 7:59, as fast as I've ever run. Mile 2 8:19, mile 3 8:24. Mile 4 started to hurt, I was running hard. I knew I was ahead of the 3:45 pacers and was determined to stay ahead but it was getting tough. Then Claralara appeared and ran beside me. I immediately started to moan - I'm tired, my legs hurt, I'm chafing. She ignored me and kept going:) Mile 4 was back to 8:19. As we crossed the line, the clock was just about 3:31 - hallelujah! I was doing 8:08 pace and the avg pace for my 4.5 miles was 8:15, yahoo! Saw Hunnymonster just after we finished and I roared my head off about the team's 3:31 finish. Met up with RQ and team captain Rainbow Kirby, who were delighted with the whole thing.

A bit of grub later and i hit the road for Dublin, still delighted with myself and my slowly returning mojo. I was so glad that I didn't let the team down - Claralara, Vagga and RQ had put in great miles and great times and I was delighted my miles didn't ruin the whole thing. The past few months haven't had great running so maybe I can look forward to a bit better over the summer. And next year - 3:15 anyone???

Great job yesterday! :D

Wow rachel thats fantastic- your first mile amazing! You must be so thrilled with yourself. Great report too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great work Rachel - you ran a brilliant leg..

Feck 3.15, next year we will do sub 3 - we have a year to train :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would just like to point out once again, just in case you don't remember me pointing it out yesterday.

I TOLD you you could do it. :p :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement