Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

racheljev wrote: »
    It was indeed 2012 - scene of my last 5 mile pb! I was so busy moaning that I didn't even ask how you got on - so, how did you get on?

37:28, getting closer to where I want to be :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry it didn't go exactly to plan R. I was supporting today and glad not to be running - heat and wind never a good combo for me either. Lots of people not hitting targets today in those conditions. That training will still be in the legs for the Irish Runner 5 miler so onwards and upwards to the next race!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I looked fresh then, because I'd had five minutes flat on my back just past the finish line! 30 second improvement on Raheny is not to be sniffed at, especially with the weather today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Rachel, sorry you had a tough day... thought you had dropped out when I saw your 4.5 mi on Strava!

You were very nervous beforehand, I'm sure that didn't help... and the bloody sun and wind didn't either...

But, but, but... you were only 23 secs off your PB!!!!! That means you are in PB shape... so take heart from that and give the Irish Runner a good lash (although looks a bit hilly :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

annapr wrote: »
    Rachel, sorry you had a tough day... thought you had dropped out when I saw your 4.5 mi on Strava!

You were very nervous beforehand, I'm sure that didn't help... and the bloody sun and wind didn't either...

But, but, but... you were only 23 secs off your PB!!!!! That means you are in PB shape... so take heart from that and give the Irish Runner a good lash (although looks a bit hilly :p)

Haha, I thought I was being calm and zen-like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck, Rachel - conditions certainly not easy, but you're going well, and importantly in the right direction. But I feel the pain - a dedicated plan with a disappointing result at the end of it is always hard to take. Wottle is right though - all about how you deal with it and learn and apply to next goal. Onwards! Good to see you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Rachel, that solid 8 week training will carry you further than you think.

It didn't go to plan today but take the positives out of it, you did get faster than you last race and you dug in and didn't give up.

The PBs will come, just keep up the brilliant training and don't let one race affect all the others you plan.

What happened after Terenure? Easy miles on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after the race to shake out the legs. All grand, not a bother. And then my shoulder went funny again, with a bit of help....

The Boy has never met a ball that he doesn't want to kick. Middle Child has a gymnastics ball in her bedroom she uses for conditioning, huge big yoke, couple of foot high and wide, always well pumped up. (You can already see where this is going, can't you?) The Boy kicked the gymnastics ball. Hard. (He has quite a left foot). The ball bounced off the spare bed in Middle Child's room and bounced me into her and Smallest Girl's bunk beds. (It's ok to laugh a bit if you want; The Boy did laugh at first. Then he stopped though, pretty bloody quickly.) It all happened in the click of a finger so I didn't even have time to duck. My bad shoulder cracked off the frame of the bed and my arm went limp. I actually thought it had re-dislocated. (Silver lining to cloud: Smallest Girl had been standing beside me and if the ball had hit her, her head would've cracked off the bed instead of my shoulder. Silver lining....) Anyway no dislocation, I'd just strained the rotator cuff again and various muscles had gone into a fairly serious spasm. And I had a durty big bruise right at the top of my arm. I've had 3 visits with the physio and she has dry needled it and trigger pointed it and done all sorts of painful things - it was starting to feel a bit better when a migraine descended last Friday week. It finally lifted last Tuesday and I'm getting back to normal. Yahoo.....

Plan was to run the Irish Runner 5 mile in 2 weeks. But it looks like that's not going to work - race starts at 10, kiddie crochet class starts at 11 and I won't get back from the park in time. Curses :mad: Anyway, will do a few Parkruns when the class takes a break for the summer. I've gotten a few nice runs in this week, 28.4 miles done so that's not too bad for a non-training week. It's almost time to start looking for a program for New York - 22 weeks today! So I'll do a bit of work on that - any suggestions gratefully accepted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Yikes :eek:. Better your shoulder than her head as you say, but all the same...:eek: Hope you're over the worst with the pain.

Ouch :eek: Boys!!!! :eek: hope you've banned him from ever kicking a ball again!

• Advertisement

Week 1 of NY marathon training starts :) Following the P&D 55 mpw plan, assuming I can make sense of the jargon:rolleyes:

Monday
    Easy, 2 miles in 20:26
    At the moment program says rest or cross training a few days a week. But my legs feel better if they get a bit of an easy jog, so that's what I'm doing. (Besides I fall off bikes, my dodgy shoulder won't let me swim and walking drives me mad because I want to run) If I need the rest days later in the program, I'll use them.

Tuesday
    LT run: 8 miles w/ 4 @ hm-15k pace, 1:12:03
    2 miles warmup, then 4 miles at between 8:16 and 8:21 pace, 2 miles cool down. Think I ran these a teeny bit too fast, need to work a bit more on my pacing.

Wednesday
    Easy, 2.4 miles in 24:28

Thursday
    9 GA miles in 1:32:02
    Possibly ran these a bit too slow - GA miles supposed to be run at MP + 15-25%. Need to decide what MP is! Anyway, they were slower than LT pace so I'll build from there.

Friday
    Easy, 2.2 miles in 23:10

Saturday
    Medium long run, 12 miles in 2:03:54
    Left the house at the start of the Lions NZL match and got home as the coverage was finishing. Listening to the match was a brilliant distraction, didn't even look at the watch until half time, just ran at a very easy pace. Tried to keep heart rate fairly steady and low throughout, although it spiked a bit in the last mile or so - mainly because Owen Farrell scored an equalising penalty :) Lovely morning, lovely run.

So hopefully 4 miles recovery tomorrow to finish a decent first week of a tip under 40 miles. As an aside, my shoulder is still dodgy. It's not great - I'm coping with it but physio not happy so she wants to refer me to ortho chap in Sports Surgery Clinic - she mentioned something about him tightening the joint. It'll probably take ages to get an appointment and I certainly won't be getting anything done till after the marathon is over. So for now, I just have to cope with it :) 17 weeks tomorrow....

Is your shoulder injury from when you fell that time Rachel?

Good luck with the plan.... plenty of P&D experts around here to advise.

Is your shoulder injury from when you fell that time Rachel?

Yep, shoulder dodgy since initial fall and dislocation in Jan '14. Partial dislocation after fall in Aug '15 did a bit more damage. And the icing on the cake was the Boy's manoeuvre with the gym ball a few weeks back. There's a low level ache pretty much all the time and there isn't a whole lot of strength in it. Movement also not great. And now I'm having a few referral issues across my back and into my neck. I'm telling you, it's all glamour here :-)
    Good luck with the plan.... plenty of P&D experts around here to advise.

Cool, I'll probably drive everyone mad with questions :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cool, I'll probably drive everyone mad with questions :P

No different to usual then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Yep, shoulder dodgy since initial fall and dislocation in Jan '14. Partial dislocation after fall in Aug '15 did a bit more damage. And the icing on the cake was the Boy's manoeuvre with the gym ball a few weeks back. There's a low level ache pretty much all the time and there isn't a whole lot of strength in it. Movement also not great. And now I'm having a few referral issues across my back and into my neck. I'm telling you, it's all glamour here :-)
    :P

At physio today and I have an injury from 19 years ago that rears it head when free movement of the body is not great, so with current hip injury affecting mobility a bit, this back/shoulder injury reared its head again. Last week he worked on the hip, this week the hip again and the back, shoulder and Neck also affected. Phsyio gave it a good rub out and it made a great difference.

Worth gettng a sports rub out so that the pain doesn't get worse and other areas get affected too! Personally, I find the kinesiology tape brilliant for taking the pressure off muscles while they are recovering.

Younganne wrote: »
    Worth gettng a sports rub out so that the pain doesn't get worse and other areas get affected too! Personally, I find the kinesiology tape brilliant for taking the pressure off muscles while they are recovering.

I'm at the physio about once a week at the minute for dry needling, pressure point work and taping. She's trying to get some movement back into the shoulder so that I can work on strengthening, which would hopefully help with the other issues. In fact I was with her this morning, just before I ran 8 miles with strides - probably not my brightest move. I can see a day of nurofen and moaning ahead of me (so as RQ said yesterday, no different to usual :D)

Monday
    2.2 easy miles in 22:46

Tuesday
    8 GA miles with 10x100 sprints.
    Did this after having my shoulder battered by the physio. Probably not my best idea :rolleyes: Still feeling around what the best paces are for the various parts of the plan. I think GA should be somewhere around 9:30-10:00 so some of these miles were a bit fast but that'll work itself out over the weeks. 10 x 100m sprints at the end, just to really finish off the shoulder ;)

Wednesday
    2.2 easy miles in 22:47

Thursday
    10 GA miles in 1:37:24. Avg pace for these miles was 9:43 so that's pretty ok.

Friday
    2.2 easy miles in 23:21

Saturday - Fairview Parkrun
    Schedule had 5 recovery miles but I really wanted to do this so I decided to slot it in - I reckoned I'd done enough easy miles in the week to warrant a parkrun practically on my doorstep.
    Warmup jog of just over 1 mile got me to the park where I saw a few familiar faces. I know parts of the route fairly well so I was looking forward to it. No real goal for this as there was already a fair few miles in my legs from the week. (Also, there was a charity gig in the pub at the end of the road and it went on till 2 a.m. so got very little sleep on Friday night.) Great to see such a big crowd and after a talk from the race director, off we went. Started off a bit slow as I was too far back as usual. By the time we turned onto the main path it was a bit more spaced out. Got to the river section, which I've used before for sprints. Then up BG's hill for the first time. Then the man in front of me took a massive tumble, he went down very heavily. But he hopped up again as quick and myself and the man behind slowed down to check he was ok - he seemed to be anyway and he kept going. A bit more on the track and then onto the grass. I never run on grass so this was unusual. Down the two slopes and back onto the main path for lap 2. Wasn't looking at the watch at all, just trying to keep as steady a pace as I could. Lap 2 was fine. Lap 3 felt a little tougher - actually asked BG as I passed her, "third lap, yeh?!" but kept going and pegged it up the final bit to the finish line. Annapr gave me my token, which was no. 98 (shout out to St. Anne's Parkrun there :)) Final time was 25:15. My watch said 24:57 but I probably didn't start it at the hooter. Happy enough anyway. Another mile jog home, done and dusted by 10:15 :)

Sunday
    Plan was 13 miles with 8 @ marathon pace. My plan for the marathon at the moment is 4hrs 5mins, which would be mp of 9:21. So my aim was to do 2 miles warmup, 8 miles @ mp and 3 miles easy. As it turned out, after the first mile I seemed to be moving fairly well so I went straight into mp. I definitely ran these too fast though - 9:12, 8:56, 8:40, 8:38, 8:24, 8:26, 8:41, 8:34. I was consciously telling myself to slow down but I felt good. Last few miles were slower, more of a cool down. Dodgy tum struck around 12 miles so a quick dive into a nearby hotel was required. Got to the end of my road just as I hit half marathon distance so trotted up to finish up 13.2 miles in 2:00:14.

Very happy with my week. 43.2 miles and a few decent runs. 16 weeks today...

Good week, Rachel and good to see you briefly on Saturday. That's a big time difference with your watch at parkrun.... hmmmm.... but well done on doing all 3 laps :D

Good to see you briefly on Sat, R. Went back for a longer chat but you had disappeared!

P&D it is then? Any experience with it - do I recall you used Faster Road Running plan last year for something else? If so, a lot of the thinking is the same. Watch those paces though - it's critical that you run the LRs at the right pace, although the plan does allow for some variation with progressive LRs, fast finishes, etc.

What's the 4:05 target based on?

Best of luck with it, good to see you back in action and hope that shoulder heals soon.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good to see you briefly on Sat, R. Went back for a longer chat but you had disappeared!

P&D it is then? Any experience with it - do I recall you used Faster Road Running plan last year for something else? If so, a lot of the thinking is the same. Watch those paces though - it's critical that you run the LRs at the right pace, although the plan does allow for some variation with progressive LRs, fast finishes, etc.

What's the 4:05 target based on?

Best of luck with it, good to see you back in action and hope that shoulder heals soon.

Sorry didn't see you again on Saturday. I left fairly quickly afterwards, big sweaty head on me!

Yep P&D it is. I bought the book for my first attempt at the New York marathon in 2011 but didn't follow the plan. I can't remember what plan I used last year - I think it was one I cobbled together with bits of other ones. You're right about the paces - I have to make sure to keep on top of them. Re the 4:05 target - my pb is 4:07:23 and I'd like to better it. The target may well change as the program goes on, as I get a better idea of my paces. It will also depend on how the shoulder holds up - back with physio this morning, yesterday's 13 mile run left it feeling quite sore.

• Advertisement

I assume sub-4 is the real, not-to-be-said-out-loud target?

With your considerable marathon experience, it should be possible, although NY is supposed to be a difficult race. You'vee had a couple of difficult marathon experiences but you've certainly earned the right to train at 4-hour pace, as would be indicated anyway by your shorter times and the training paces (tempo, LT, HMP etc.) that they suggest.

Good luck with the plan. If you can get through the difficult sessions (and there are plenty) you will know what to do on the day!

Monday
    Easy jog to and from physio: 2 miles in 20ish minutes

Tuesday
    10 GA miles in 1:39:23.
    Concentrated on keeping the pace as steady as I could. Aiming to keep these slower and steadier. This one went ok.

Wednesday
    Should've been 4 recovery miles, was 3.6 instead. Was dreaming during the night that I was getting the aura I normally get before I get a migraine, and in the dream I was asking somebody to hand me the tablets I normally take. They wouldn't give them to me for some reason and I woke up, with the aura in full swing. Managed to get the necessary tablets and tried to get back to sleep with an eye mask on to block out the early morning sun. (Told you before, it's all glamour in this house ;) ) Got another hour or so of sleep, which eased the migraine to a dull roar. Decided to go out for a run to see if the air helped. It did, a little bit. Stupid migraines :mad:

Thursday
    LT run: 8 miles w/4 @ 15k-hm pace, 1:13:17
    Felt ok after yesterday's migraine so gave this a decent go. Ran two mile warmup and then went into the faster miles: 8:34, 8:30, 8:30, 8:25. These were probably a teeny bit too fast but not too much. According to the table in the back of the P&D book, the slow end of my intended LT pace is 8:41 so I was closer to the faster side of it. Head slightly melted :rolleyes:

Friday
    2.3 easy miles in 23:58 after work and before making dinner for the ravaging hordes.

Saturday
    Fairview Parkrun 25:01
    Mile warmup jog down to the park, Fairview Parkrun number 2, mile cool down jog home. 22nd finisher, 5th female (after aquinn, who simply flew over the line), 1st F45. Lovely. :D Only small drawback was the whack I gave the bottom of my shin, right on the bone as I was trying to climb over the teeny tiny fence out of the park - honestly I shouldn't be allowed out sometimes without adult supervision.

Sunday
    Long run: 14.1 miles in 2:17:52
    OH and The Boy were going foot golfing this morning (it's a thing, honest). Middle Child is out in her cousin's house which means Smallest Girl would be on her own unless I went out early. So I was walking out the door at 7:57 a.m. Wasn't really sure of route, decided to play it by ear. Also wanted to concentrate on keeping the pace steady and trying to make sure it didn't creep up too much. In the end all went well. Pace fairly steady - a couple of 9:35ish miles but the rest were slower. Had to stop in the coffee shop in St. Anne's after about 8 miles for the loo, all good apart from that. Saw loads and loads of mini park runners heading over for their Sunday morning junior run - such a fab thing to see so many happy faces! Got home to a very quiet house - OH slept through the alarm so there was a bit of panicked ham toastie and coffee making to get them out the door for the foot golf before I could properly stretch and relax. Still, felt a teeny bit smug to have my long run done before 10:30 :cool:

45.6 miles for the week, another good week under the belt. In injury news, the ortho man in SSC wants me to have an MR arthrogram before I see him. I thought that was a standard MRI and send the request into the MRI place in Northwood. They rang me (during the Parkrun actually :eek:) to tell me they couldn't do it, apparently the arthrogram is more specialised and needs to be done in Mater Private or Cappagh. So first thing tomorrow, I need to start ringing around to see what the story is. Shoulder quite sore after the long run. Back to physio tomorrow for more abuse therapy. 15 weeks today...

You do know there are gates out of Fairview Park, right? :p

And yes isn't junior parkrun a wonderful thing :D

What is an MR arthrogram?? Is this for your shoulder?

You do know there are gates out of Fairview Park, right? :p

Yeah, I know... but I was near the footbridge and the gates were too far away from the footbridge...and I was tired.... and I had to jog ALL THE WAY HOME....
    What is an MR arthrogram?? Is this for your shoulder?

I had to consult Dr. Google, it seems to involve a dye injection into the joint which is followed by the MRI. According to the form Ortho Doc sent, he seems to think it might be a tear in the labrum (straight back to Dr. Google to find out whatever the hell that is). I'll be making lots of enquiring phone calls tomorrow :)

Monday
    2.2 easy miles to and from physio for more work on the shoulder.

Tuesday
    GA miles with strides. 6 fairly straightforward miles first, trying to keep pace steady. Then it was stride time- ran fast while counting to 20, then jogged easy while counting to 20. And did that 10 times. Easy mile or so home brought me up to 8.5 miles in 1:21:32.

Wednesday
    5.1 recovery miles in 53:51.

Thursday
    10.1 GA miles in 1:41:00. Gorgeous run - bit of sun, lot of rain, loved it.

Friday
    2.8 easy miles in 28:57

Saturday
    Long run time. Should've been done tomorrow but just felt easier to get it done today. Headed out at 8 a.m. for another extended our of North Dublin - ran through Santry, Ballymun, around by Ikea into Finglas, Phibsboro, Cabra, Navan Road, Phoenix Park, NCR, Drumcondra and home. I didn't watch the pace, I tried to run comfortably. According to Strava, I got a little bit faster over the last few miles which I'm happy enough with. Still, it was tough enough, I've been tired all week and this morning was no exception.

So 43.8 miles for the week so far. Another 4-5 recovery miles planned for tomorrow should finish off the week nicely. MR arthrogram is planned for Monday afternoon at 2 p.m. I'm very nervous and apprehensive about it, so much so that my doctor has given me a mild sedative to take before I go in. I can't drive afterwards anyway - apparently I'll be given a local anaesthetic in the shoulder before they inject the dye for the MRI - so I may as well take the sedative :) 14 weeks tomorrow...

This was a tough week. Knackered.

Monday
    3.1 easy (nervous) miles in 32:51 before the MR arthrogram (more of that later).

Tuesday
    9 miles with 5 @ LT pace.
    This was hard. Shoulder sore from previous day's endeavours. So 3 miles warmup, then 8:38, 8:35, 8:27, 8:23, 8:17. Then 1.2 miles cool down.

Wednesday
    5 recovery miles in 52:51.

Thursday
    10 GA miles in 1:41:11. Shoulder quite sore by the end of this.

Friday
    3 easy miles in 31:56

Saturday
    5.5 recovery in 58:41

Sunday
    Long run with 10 @ mp
    This was tough enough. Ran the length of the Quays from the Point village, into the park for a few miles, turned around and retraced my steps. Started with a couple of easy miles, mile 3 was closer to mp, then started mp proper. Ran a few of them all slightly too fast but was closer to mp than in previous long run. MP miles as follows: 9:02, 8:34, 9:00, 8:41, 8:45, 8:36, 8:37, 8:46, 8:52, 8:39. Another 3.3 miles home to give me a total of 16.3 miles in 2:30:11.

Total of 52.3 miles for the week.

So the MR arthrogram. Not as bad as I thought it would be! Injection into joint wasn't the most fun but the local anaesthetic and conversation with radiographer helped. Had to wait for half an hour before MRI after injection so had myself worked up by the time I got in there. The radiographers were brilliant though, very calming and letting me know everything that was going on. I was in the machine for about 25 minutes and then it was all over. Phew! They gave me a disk with the images so I sent some onto my physio. She can see trauma to the labrum and a possible tear. So just have to wait until September 25th for appointment with consultant in SSC.

Plan for next week is recovery, which is just as well - OH has decided that we're all going over to his sister in Luxembourg for a week from Wednesday - flying into Brussels on the 6:30 a.m. flight and then driving to Lux. I'll run as much as I can while there and will follow program as best as I can. 13 weeks....

Big week Rachel, well done on that mileage. Hope there's no problem running with the labrum issues?

Hope there's no problem running with the labrum issues?

My shoulder is sore all the time, there's always a low level ache. It gets worse after long or fast runs, so I'm sorta used to it at this stage ;)

On hols in Luxembourg, getting a few runs in. Before we went away I did some easy miles on Monday and then GA miles with 10x100s on Tuesday. First run in Lux was 4 easy miles - should've been 5 but we'd been up at 3:30 am for flight to Brussels, followed by a couple of hours drive to Lux. So 4 miles was ok :) Thursday was just over 7 GA miles. Ran down into the Grund - it's a valley right in the centre of the city, very cool. Ran up out of it and stopped to catch my breath at the top. Then forgot to start Strava again for about a half mile - d'oh! Today was 3.2 easy - up the hill near the house to where the fancy houses are, and back down again. Plan for tomorrow is 12 miles and some glamping apparently....

Update on holiday and home runs :)

Saturday 12/8 - still in Lux
    12 miles in 2:09. Felt very hard - hot and humid, and lots of ups and downs.

Sunday
    3.3 miles in 33:59. Glamping the night before (jeez, that was fun :rolleyes:) meant very little sleep - teeny tiny cabin with four bunks, spent most of the night trying to make sure Middle Child didn't fall out of top bunk. Walking to the loo in the middle of the night was tremendous fun as well, honest :rolleyes: Anyway, long story short, bad night + hot day = crap run.

Monday
    3.2 easy miles in 33:29

Tuesday
    8 miles in 1:24:38. This was supposed to be 10 miles with 5 at LT pace. Not a hope of getting that done. Hot again, humid, still knackered from Saturday's glamping experience. Called it quits at 8 miles.

Wednesday
    4 miles in 40:31. Last run in Lux before heading home. Better than Tuesday's run.

Thursday
    Decided to give the LT run another go. Warmup of 3 miles, then attempted the LT miles. Supposed to be at half marathon pace; to be honest it was closer to marathon pace: 9:23, 8:56, 9:04. Had to stop for a breather after the third mile which meant mile 4 was 10:13, mile 5 9:05. 2 easy miles home to cool down and finish off the run. Not happy with this - silver lining is there were a couple of faster miles in there. And I was knackered after the trip home yesterday so at least I got some sort of a session done. Cloud is the sore hamstring.

Friday
    Hamstring still sore from Thursday's exertions so 2.1 very easy miles in 22:37.

Saturday
    Rest day. Supposed to be 18 miles but hamstring/glute very sore so sense prevailed and took a day off.

Sunday
    Leg felt ok so tried an easy run. 3.2 miles in 33:49. Could feel hamstring/glute, achy but not sore. Could probably have done closer to 5/6 miles as it didn't really stop me running but decided not to push it too much - discretion is the better part of valour and all that :)

So a fairly crappy 30.5 miles for the week. And I missed a long run and didn't do a proper LT session. Again, looking for the silver lining to the cloud: this is only week 7. If it was further on in the program, I'd be more worried. So I've missed 1 and a bit sessions in 7 weeks - it could be worse. I have a physio appt tomorrow to get the shoulder worked on, so I'll ask her to have a look at the leg at the same time. 11 weeks today....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Update on holiday and home runs :)

Saturday 12/8 - still in Lux
    12 miles in 2:09. Felt very hard - hot and humid, and lots of ups and downs.

Sunday
    3.3 miles in 33:59. Glamping the night before (jeez, that was fun :rolleyes:) meant very little sleep - teeny tiny cabin with four bunks, spent most of the night trying to make sure Middle Child didn't fall out of top bunk. Walking to the loo in the middle of the night was tremendous fun as well, honest :rolleyes: Anyway, long story short, bad night + hot day = crap run.

Monday
    3.2 easy miles in 33:29

Tuesday
    8 miles in 1:24:38. This was supposed to be 10 miles with 5 at LT pace. Not a hope of getting that done. Hot again, humid, still knackered from Saturday's glamping experience. Called it quits at 8 miles.

Wednesday
    4 miles in 40:31. Last run in Lux before heading home. Better than Tuesday's run.

Thursday
    Decided to give the LT run another go. Warmup of 3 miles, then attempted the LT miles. Supposed to be at half marathon pace; to be honest it was closer to marathon pace: 9:23, 8:56, 9:04. Had to stop for a breather after the third mile which meant mile 4 was 10:13, mile 5 9:05. 2 easy miles home to cool down and finish off the run. Not happy with this - silver lining is there were a couple of faster miles in there. And I was knackered after the trip home yesterday so at least I got some sort of a session done. Cloud is the sore hamstring.

Friday
    Hamstring still sore from Thursday's exertions so 2.1 very easy miles in 22:37.

Saturday
    Rest day. Supposed to be 18 miles but hamstring/glute very sore so sense prevailed and took a day off.

Sunday
    Leg felt ok so tried an easy run. 3.2 miles in 33:49. Could feel hamstring/glute, achy but not sore. Could probably have done closer to 5/6 miles as it didn't really stop me running but decided not to push it too much - discretion is the better part of valour and all that :)

So a fairly crappy 30.5 miles for the week. And I missed a long run and didn't do a proper LT session. Again, looking for the silver lining to the cloud: this is only week 7. If it was further on in the program, I'd be more worried. So I've missed 1 and a bit sessions in 7 weeks - it could be worse. I have a physio appt tomorrow to get the shoulder worked on, so I'll ask her to have a look at the leg at the same time. 11 weeks today....

I wouldn't panic so much about this week, shoulder issues notwithstanding. Luxembourg is extremely hilly from what I remember from fadó fadó, so anything you got done out there at this time of year should be treated as a bonus. Best of luck with the physio appointment.

Advertisement