Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done Rachel on a great performance....Despite ur recent setbacks u showed great courage, physical and mental strength to perform so well.... Nice to meet u and Mr R in GP......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great effort. As I said to Mrs P after - it is the tough races that set you up for thefuture. So congrats on getting a result despite the recent problems. Nice to meet you at the breakfast run. If you're doing NY In the fall I might see you there. If we can help come the time give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good report and that was some running!! Congrats. Enjoy the well deserved rest time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

First run since marathon over - jeez it was crap :rolleyes: 3.5 miles in 34 mins. Legs felt like lead, very heavy and still a bit sore. Had a sports massage yesterday and it was murder. But she gave me some new stretches to do so will do them - I was very bold over the last week, no stretches at all - must do better. Got a good bit faster on one section of the run this morning - two lads, obviously the worse for wear, were walking towards me. One decided to start calling me names (stupid b**ch being one of the nicer ones) He also decided to keep me company and ran beside me, calling me names. I ended up on the road (a main road!) to get away from him and of course, there were no cars or people around so I was trying to work out my escape plan when he got bored (or knackered ;)) and ran back to his friend. Not before throwing the bottle he had in his hand at me though. Luckily it missed... The adrenaline kept me pegging it for another half mile...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

racheljev wrote: »
    Got a good bit faster on one section of the run this morning - two lads, obviously the worse for wear, were walking towards me. One decided to start calling me names (stupid b**ch being one of the nicer ones) He also decided to keep me company and ran beside me, calling me names. I ended up on the road (a main road!) to get away from him and of course, there were no cars or people around so I was trying to work out my escape plan when he got bored (or knackered ;)) and ran back to his friend. Not before throwing the bottle he had in his hand at me though. Luckily it missed... The adrenaline kept me pegging it for another half mile...

What a couple of bas**rds!! :eek: :mad:
    Is it too harsh to say that fu**heads like that should have been drowned at birth? I hope you're ok and didn't get too much of a fright?

• Advertisement

Thanks Emer, I was a bit freaked out for a while - it was the Malahide road, not even a side road, and northsiders would know it as a fairly main road. But because of whatever way the traffic lights are synched, there were no cars, buses, anything going up or down at that moment so I was freaked out by that. I have a friend living nearby but I wasn't sure if I'd get to her house, or if they'd even be up! And you know what it's like when you get a bit scared - everything seems worse :o. Luckily enough he got bored after a bit and went back to his mate, and 'only' threw his bottle at me - but still... It just wrecked my head that all I was doing was running down the road, but that was enough to annoy him and make him decide to scare the sh** out of me. Hope he has the hangover from hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Rachel what a horrible thing to happen - and to finish by throwing a bottle at you :mad: I'm with Emer about the drowning at birth bit. Hope you're ok.

On a pleasanter note, great race report - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

That's the feckin B. That's terrible. I often wonder what the feck makes people like that tick?

Nice to meet yourself and Mr RJ in Barca. Nice report; and well done on a great run in though conditions for you.

Mac.

5 miles in 49:30, slooooow sloooow slow. Went for a walk/jog on Monday as well - 5.2 miles. Legs still very sore and heavy, no bounce in me at all at the minute! Still a bit freaked out by Saturday's encounter so no early morning sessions. Alarm went off every day this week, I looked out the window, saw the dark and said nah. Going out after school run instead. That's alright for now, but can't let it stay like this. I've done 2 years of early morning runs with minimal encounters so mustn't let scumbags get the better of me! And on that motivational, kickiing-bishop-brennan-up the a*** note, I'm off for a shower and an icepack for my aching shins...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If the shins are achy would you not think about completely pulling back on the running for a bit and get some other form of exercise in with some grass running? Marathons done and dusted now, you can re-evaluate and give the shins a bit of a rest, especially with the problems you've experienced in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

If the shins are achy would you not think about completely pulling back on the running for a bit and get some other form of exercise in with some grass running? Marathons done and dusted now, you can re-evaluate and give the shins a bit of a rest, especially with the problems you've experienced in the past.

Sounds like good advice there, I know you're keen to get going again but there is no rush for NY yet.

Good to meet you and the OH in Barca and well done again on the great run :D

As for those louts, bet they were just jealous of the Pink top from Barca!!!

Yeah thinking about it alright. Entered the MSB 5k on Sunday but thinking about not doing it at the minute - there is no speed in these legs! Want to give Cork a go in June so will need to get back I to a program soon, but another easy week or two might be more beneficial right now...

A strange few days... Legs very sore after last Wed's run so that made up my mind to give the MSB 5k a miss. I knew I wouldn't do it justice - a pity though, cos it sounded like a good one. Kids off Thursday, Friday and Monday so I knew I wouldn't be able to do much training of any type (seriously, who decided that St. Patrick's day warranted 3 days off school? We used to get just the one day, and it was grand!) And then, my Nana was taken into hospital on Friday and everything else went out the window. Her lungs are completely covered in fluid and she has a bad infection as well. Spent a lot of Saturday, Sunday and Monday in the hospital, where the meds they had her on were making her hallucinate - she loves CSI, Law and Order, all that stuff and she was convinced that there were cameras in A&E and that someone had been murdered in the next bed. Now I know we're on the northside but it wasn't that bad... :rolleyes: Things were bad on Sunday so I was away with the fairies, no thought of any type of running. But yesterday she was on her way back - one of my aunts reckons it'll take an elephant gun to bring her down:eek: and last night she had a very good night. And the kids went back to school. So I went to the gym for a quick session this morning - 5.3k on treadmill and 11.5k on the bike. Leg still sore and calf still mad tight so will keep up gym and get back to running in a week or so. I'm registered for Great Ireland Run and kiddies registered for Junior run so will aim for that. Heading back to the hospital tonight where hopefully an improving Nana awaits...

4 miles in 38:12. A much needed run. Hasn't been a good week. Went to the gym on Wednesday and did much the same as Tuesday - 5.3k on treadmill and 7.1miles on bike. Thursday, Nana got results of her scan and Friday, doc gave the details to my Dad - 3 tumours, one on each lung and one on the adrenal gland. She needs a biopsy to find out what the next course of action is. But she's adamant she's not having an operation - she reckons she's 86 and that's enough. I know this log isn't really the place for this but I need to let it out somewhere. Kids know Nana is sick but not how sick, so not really talking about it at home. So, spent most of Thurs and Fri in shock and tears, and this morning I just decided - sod it, I need to get out and run, no matter how my legs feel. Walked middle child up to gymnastics as a warm up and then got my 4 miles done. Legs feel okay now, will do some more stretching and tennis balling later on. Sorry if you've just popped into my log and now you feel besieged by the medical stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Really sorry to read about your Nan Rachel, fingers crossed for her. Tough times for you all.

Getting out in the fresh air must, even if it just helps you unwind for a half hour or so. Look after yourself ;)

Awww Rach so sorry to hear that :( They might still be able to talk her around, so sad when they give up just because of their age. I work with so many elderly people that I see 86 as a nipper. Hope you're all doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So sorry to hear that rachel.Its hard having to hold it together for the kids but on the other hand they help us remain calm and focused in tough times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sorry to hear the sad news Rachel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very sorry to hear that Rachel. :(

*hugs*

3.1 miles in a blah time - too morto to put it in. Very sore legs, not helped by the fact that I tried the Mizunos again - not a good idea. They just don't feel right, so it's back to my beloved Nimbus. New pair on the way from Amazon - 88 euro, delivery included. March mileage has been fairly shocking, I reckon that means Cork won't be an option - just have to aim for New York in November...

Thanks for all the good thoughts folks, much appreciated. No change at the minute, Nana's still in hospital, biopsy prov booked for next Tues because warfarin levels still too high and they're afraid she'd bleed out. Up and down to the Mater every day, sick of the sight of Eccles St already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Rachel, not sure how, but I've not been on your log in ages. Just caught up now. Well done on Barcelona, fabulous race report (got a bit emotional reading that!).
    Sorry to hear about your incident with those scumbags and your sad news about your gran.
    You're a trooper for sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Rachel....So sorry to hear about your nana...Brings back some very poignant memories for me! I hope, whatever the results, that all works out for those closely involved!

3.2 miles in another "too morto to put it in, but at least I got out" time. Right leg now causing problems. Calf feels like someone is pinching it inside, very sore and mad tight. Still doing my tennis ball massage but it's obviously not enough. Need to get this sorted pronto. Will try and get physio appointment. Plan is for GIR next Sunday and kiddies to do Junior run, let's see what happens.

Again, thanks for the kind thoughts re Nana, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Rach, don't worry too much about the logistics of the running now, once you get back into it, you will be right back where you left off.

Sorry to hear about all that's going on life wise. Hopefully all will be well with your Nan.

3.2 miles in 31 mins, slightly less crappy than the last few runs, but still crappy. Haven't been sleeping great for the last few weeks so when the alarm went off, I was very tempted to stay in bed but got up and out for a quick few. Calf still sore but not too bad. Also had a sports massage booked for this morning so legs got a good going over. I'd say I'll be covered in bruises later... Got my number for GIR on Sunday- at the minute with the way I'm feeling, anything under an hour will be good.

2.2 blah miles, just to try out new orthotics in new shoes before tomorrow's GIR. As I said earlier, no expectations at all for tomorrow, apart from finishing in less than an hour. I reckon my crappy 10k pb will stay crappy for a while longer! Kids are really looking forward to the junior run, so should be a good day out :)

Was going to ask you were you running tomorrow. Might see you out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck tomorrow!:)

We'll be there from early - junior run is 11:15. You have my number don't you? Give us a shout, we'll probably have sambos and goodies for the kids and we can carb load you before you leg it :D

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    We'll be there from early - junior run is 11:15. You have my number don't you? Give us a shout, we'll probably have sambos and goodies for the kids and we can carb load you before you leg it :D

Mega :cool: I'll probably head up early, few others I know have their kids running too, so might head up to cheer all the kiddies on.

Advertisement