Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can see the sun in wintertime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm past the point of caring about the neighbours now. I stand outside my front door for however long it takes to get satellite reception on my garmin (sometimes it takes AGES :p) and I'll run up and down and round and round the estate until I hear that mile beep. :cool:

Rachel, some of those miles times yesterday - very impressive. Just take the training day by day. Try not to think too far ahead. Yeah not easy I know. What is it with us women lying in bed awake worrying about stuff. :rolleyes:

Thanks K, have to make myself take it one day at a time and not get too caught up. I actually did that run this morning, between 6:30 and 8 - is it any wonder I'm frickin' knackered... With kids off school and OH not home till between 7 and 8 every evening, it's just better to get out early, even though it's a pain in the a$$. Re the garmin: I put mine outside the door first thing, before I put my shoes on and get myself sorted. By the time I'm ready to go, it's normally found the signal and even though I live on de nortsoide, it still hasn't been robbed yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Claralara let you go anywhere near Mortons? :eek:

Shhhhhh.... She thought I was in the Ice Bar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    There's a rumour going around Mortons that there's a woman waving to aliens up the road every morning!:D

The last alien to leave our neighbourhood and surrounds left a few months ago, so that is a blatant lie. ;)

The last alien to leave our neighbourhood and surrounds left a few months ago, so that is a blatant lie. ;)

:D

What or where is Morton's - and no, I'm not being slow, I'm being a northsider :D

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    What or where is Morton's - and no, I'm not being slow, I'm being a northsider :D

I can't really comment as I've never been in there. It looks very inviting from the outside though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a pub in Firhouse - about 1km down the road from my mammy's and close enough to jcsmum.

It's a pub in Firhouse - about 1km down the road from my mammy's and close enough to jcsmum.

and wasn't digger banned from there for being inappropriately dressed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Claralara let you go anywhere near Mortons? :eek:

I did not. If I find out he was hanging out around RK and jcsmum's Firhouse "wind tunnel" again, he can take a hike!!

claralara wrote: »
    I did not. If I find out he was hanging out around RK and jcsmum's Firhouse "wind tunnel" again, he can take a hike!!

RK's not living in Firhouse any more - Dublin 8 these days :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh no.... Please don't bring up the running tights and my Linford Christie impression again....:eek:

I did that already.... It's a long way from the gate of your Parent's house to the front door! ;)

Why did a picture of a mankini pop into my head when I read that statement. Oh jeez, my eyes! my eyes!

Why did a picture of a mankini pop into my head when I read that statement. Oh jeez, my eyes! my eyes!

Jeez Rachel if you had problems sleeping last night..... you haven't a hope tonight! :eek:

Plan: 16 miles w/10 @ MP
    Actual: 16 miles, 3 @ 9:24 pace, 10 @ 8:50-9:09, 3 @ 10:50 pace

For a sub 4 marathon, I need to be doing somewhere between 9 and 9:08 miles so that's the pace I aimed for today. Only one was 9:09, I had 3 in a row that went 9:05, 9:04, 9:03. 6 of the miles though were 8:50 - 8:55 so I was definitely too fast at the stage. That probably explains why the final 3 miles were such slow jog/walk torture - I just wanted to get home! Had to have a toilet break just before mile 7, nowhere was open and I was getting panicky. But luckily someone inside a pub saw me desperately trying to open the door and let me in. Phew. Needed a stretch around mile 10 and as I said, from 13 on wasn't great. But... and it's a big but... I feel that was a good session today. One that's definitely a bit of a confidence booster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Plan: 16 miles w/10 @ MP
    Actual: 16 miles, 3 @ 9:24 pace, 10 @ 8:50-9:09, 3 @ 10:50 pace

For a sub 4 marathon, I need to be doing somewhere between 9 and 9:08 miles so that's the pace I aimed for today. Only one was 9:09, I had 3 in a row that went 9:05, 9:04, 9:03. 6 of the miles though were 8:50 - 8:55 so I was definitely too fast at the stage. That probably explains why the final 3 miles were such slow jog/walk torture - I just wanted to get home! Had to have a toilet break just before mile 7, nowhere was open and I was getting panicky. But luckily someone inside a pub saw me desperately trying to open the door and let me in. Phew. Needed a stretch around mile 10 and as I said, from 13 on wasn't great. But... and it's a big but... I feel that was a good session today. One that's definitely a bit of a confidence booster :)

That's a great session there Rachel!! I did that run a few weeks ago and it's a real killer but a great one to get through. What's the plans for the half? If you can hold 10 @ sub 9min/mile av pace in training, you'll go a fair bit faster in the race.

Thanks Meno. Not sure about what to go for in the 10 mile. Based on 5 mile and last week's 10k, McMillan has me somewhere between 88:26 and 88:57 for 10 miles. So I suppose somewhere around 88 would be the plan. Last year's 10 mile was 91 mins and I should def beat that - fingers crossed....

Plan: 5 miles @ recovery pace
    Actual: 5.1 @ 9:46 pace.

Slightly faster than intended. Legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's run, so ran at a comfortable pace. Miles all between 9:40 and 9:50.

For some reason I really really enjoyed this morning. Not sure why - probably a combination of not too hot, legs feeling good, great songs on my playlist... Just an enjoyable run, smiled most of my way around. I LOVE when I have a run like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Brilliant I love those runs

Plan: 8 GA miles w/ 10x100m strides
    Actual: 8.15 miles - 6.65 @ 9:32 pace, 10 x 80-100m strides @ 7:10 pace with 30secs recovery, 0.55 mile cooldown.

Loved this session this morning - what a turn around on strides :D
    Aimed my route so that I'd be close enough to home for the strides. There's a little green circle just down the road from me, it's 400m around the outside so I thought I'd use it for the strides. Got there nice and handy in just over an hour, did my stretches and started the strides. I made sure to count properly this time, so only did 10. I ran fast for between 15 and 20 seconds, and then slowed down for 30. I even hit 6:37 pace for one of them :eek: Did a few laps of the circle and then did my mini hill home as my cool down. Very happy with that one.

And I've decided to throw myself a party for my 40th. My birthday is the day after DCM and the week before NYC so I'm booking the friday of the bank holiday weekend - 28th October. It was either Friday or Saturday, but P&D have a rest day scheduled for the Saturday and miles for Sunday, so Friday night it is :D It's just a room in a pub nearby but I don't care. It'll be nice to have all my family and friends around me for something that isn't a funeral or a memorial mass, and if Nana was still here, she'd be giving out to me for NOT having a party so decision made :)

• Advertisement

Plan: 5 miles @ recovery pace
    Actual: 5 miles @ 10:18 pace, miles between 10:12 and 10:28

Soooo sloooow this morning, as intended. Reread the bit in P&D about recovery runs last night so made sure not to go too fast this morning and keep it nice and flat. Mad and all as it sounds, it's harder to run slow than fast. But if it works and keeps me fresh for the next session, so be it.

And I've decided to throw myself a party for my 40th. My birthday is the day after DCM and the week before NYC so I'm booking the friday of the bank holiday weekend - 28th October. It was either Friday or Saturday, but P&D have a rest day scheduled for the Saturday and miles for Sunday, so Friday night it is :D It's just a room in a pub nearby but I don't care. It'll be nice to have all my family and friends around me for something that isn't a funeral or a memorial mass, and if Nana was still here, she'd be giving out to me for NOT having a party so decision made :)

Big mistake mentioning parties on here. Did you not see the way people invited themselves to RK's house warming. :rolleyes::)

Great running there by the way

Big mistake mentioning parties on here. Did you not see the way people invited themselves to RK's house warming. :rolleyes::)

Great running there by the way

Teehee, I didn't mention WHERE the room was though did I? :rolleyes: Only joking, the more the merrier. If anyone wants to venture over de nortsoide, they're welcome. Although it's only 3 days before DCM. Any boardsies would probably be sitting in a corner, muttering to themselves -calculating carb loads, discussing mile paces and splits, not talking to or shaking hands with strangers in case they caught something before the big day...It'd be like a scene from One flew over the cuckoo's nest...

Anyway today:
    Plan: 8 GA miles (9:30+ pace)
    Actual: 8 miles @ 9:19 pace.

I KNOW this was too fast but it just happened, honest. A lot of it was into the wind and because of that, I was battling. Then, when I turmed a corner out of the wind, I was flying. Added two incline sections as well, one a half mile, the other a mile. Not a bad one, 21.15 so far for week.

Anyone know if it's ok to swap long runs on P&D? I've 18 miles scheduled for next week and not sure about how it'd work with Frank Duffy 10 mile.

Training is going great there Rachel - well done. I haven't been attending to the midweek runs properly at all :o Trying to get back on track this week but it's not going so great.

I did my 18 miles on Tuesday this week in anticipation of the 5k at the weekend though I don't think there'll be much in the legs to get a useful time at all. Ive been told it's fine to swap days and even split the longer midweek runs in two if necessary.

Plan: 12 mile lsr
    Actual: 12.65 miles @ 9:24 pace.

Again, too fast for an lsr. Did an out and back route, so that any problems/benefits with inclines would be evened out on a return leg. The out leg was quicker because I had the wind in my face on the way back. Trying to experiment with nutrition now, so took a jellybaby and a slug of water at the start of every mile. Seemed to be ok until start of mile 12 when dodgy tum kicked in. Just got in the door in time... Loads of runners around this morning, and they all said hello. Love when that happens :)

Plan: 4 miles @ recovery pace.
    Actual: 4 miles in 39:08, avg pace 9:47.

Nice end to a quite good week. Legs felt good, took it nice and easy. There was even a little bit of rain to help me cool down, happy days.
    Plan for week was 37 miles, actual 37.8 so only a little bit over.

Big week next week - it should be my first 50 mile week :eek: But it also includes the Frank Duffy 10 mile so I'm still not exactly sure how that's going to work out. Time to sit down with P&D again...

You going to Croker this afternoon?

(solid week btw :D )

I'm not going, have to mind the smallest one. OH and the other two are heading down. I learned through hard experience that I'm not good at Dublin matches. I'm better watching it at home, where I can abuse the telly/referee and leave the room if necessary :D

I learned through hard experience that I'm not good at Dublin matches. I'm better watching it at home, where I can abuse the telly/referee and leave the room if necessary :D
    I was sat next to the Tipp version of this today. Don't think I've ever heard so many variations on "Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint Joseph" in my life. :pac:

• Advertisement

Plan: 10 w/5 @ LT pace (8:46-9:06)
    Actual: 10 - 9:56, 9:18, 8:41, 8:25, 8:28, 8:19, 8:25, 9:21, 9:23, 9:24

I was dreading this one. 5 at LT pace seemed a bit much for first thing in the morning ;) The plan was 3 warmup, 5 LT, then last 2 cool down. But as I started mile 3 I realised I was within the LT range so I threw caution to the wind and started the LT there and then. And it wasn't as bad as expected. I had a bit of a dry heave attack in the middle of the 8:19 mile but apart from that it was ok. The only real problem was the weather. It was really warm, even at 6 a.m. so I was sweating profusely, big red/purple face on me. Then, just after the LT miles finished, it started to rain in my face. Which I normally like. But not when it means it's making the sweat run in my eyes. Honestly, I looked like a nutcase, blinking and squinting while trying to run and wipe my eyes at the same time. I'm sure I entertained lots of people sitting in traffic today :rolleyes: But... another decent session done and dusted. Happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Some really good running there missus. You're in flying form at the moment!

Plan: 4 miles @ recovery pace.
    Actual: 14.5 miles @ 9:44 pace.

Yeah I know, actual doesn't match plan :rolleyes: Tomorrow's run should be 11 miles medium/long run so I swapped days. However I was already torn between giving Saturday's 10 mile my full attention and not missing out on my first 50 mile week. So... I added a few miles to tomorrow's run today, so I don't feel too bad about not doing a full 18 this weekend. Confused yet? Me too.

Up and out at 5.30 a.m. - really stupid o'clock. But OH leaves the house at 8:00 a.m. so it was get out then or not get enough miles in. I'd hoped for a full 15, but got stopped at two traffic lights for frickin' ages just before I got home, so 14.5 it was. It felt hard at the start, I was knackered, but I kept ticking off half hours and miles, and sure enough I got back home at 7:58 - perfect timing :) Another bonus was no dodgy tummy so no pitstops needed - just as well, there was nothing open :rolleyes:

Might do a few recovery miles tomorrow or might stay in bed and have two rest days in preparation for Saturday. Will decide tomorrow when alarm goes off :D

I was looking forward to this one. I really felt I was due a good race day out - Dunshaughlin 10k was crap, Irish runner 5 mile wasn't great, Dun Laoghaire 10k was very unpleasant, so I'd some high hopes for today. In my head, I reckoned I'd be able for 88-89 mins, which meant an avg pace of around 8:50.

Alarm went off at 7:30 but I took my time getting ready and eating brekkie. As a result, I was later than usual getting to my parking spot - which meant no parking spot :rolleyes: But, not to worry, I found one 100m back down the road. Headed off for a little warmup just to see how the legs felt. Did about 1.25 miles which brought me to the start area. Queued for the toilets for ages and eventually headed over to the start. As I walked down past all the starters, there seemed to be a hell of a lot of people in wave 1. I'd planned to go in wave 2 but wave 1 seemed endless. Eventually found a way into 2 and worked my way up. 10 a.m. came and went. It was very hot, the sun was already high and it was till early. It was 10:14 by the time I started and as I passed over the start line, the announcer mentioned something about "now wave 3 people, enjoy your run". Holy crap, was I in wave 3??? It certainly felt like it. First mile was 9:05 :eek: Way too slow. Passed what felt like hundreds of people in the first mile and a half. Mile 2 was quicker - 8:14 - but I had to be careful not to try and make up the time too quickly, and then lose out in the second half. 3 & 4 were 8:31 and 8:50. Reached halfway in about 43 1/2 mins. Heat was still getting to me but I'd brought water so I was doing ok.

Mile 6 was a bit crap, back on the footpath and getting caught up with people again - 8:56. But I kept chugging away. Mile 7 seemed to pass in a blur and all of a sudden I'd passed the 8 mile landmark. My garmin said I was at around 70 mins so I knew sub 90 was safe. I reckoned I was heading for sub 89 which was brill. Mile 9 was 8:13, happy days! Mile 10 was the worst of the whole day. I knew I was so close to home but I was knackered, legs were wrecked and the sharp left and short uphill nearly killed me. Walked for about 20 secs and a man behind me said, come on nearly there, come on. So I did. The last few hundred metres were so hard. The finish line couldn't come quick enough and finally it did. Over the line in 87:34, 10:07 miles, avg pace 8:41. Halle-frickin-lujah! I couldn't believe it. About 4 mins off last years time. I know the course is different but I don't think it's that much faster. Collected my tshirt, ate my banana and did another 1.25miles back to the car as a cool down.

So, I got my good day. I'm really really happy with that time, and according to Macmillan, it's edging me ever closer to a 4 hour marathon - 5 mins away now! All in all, very happy with my Saturday :D

Plan: 18 mile lsr
    Actual: 13.02 mile @ 9:36 avg pace.

Didn't do the full lsr today because of yesterday's 10 mile race and the 14.5 midweek run. Legs feel tired and sluggish today, left leg in particular a bit achy. It was this time last year I got injured so I'm going to be very careful and pay attention to twinges and aches. My parents organised a sports massage for me tomorrow, so I'll go along and see how it goes. I've been working with the tennis ball and doing extra stretches so hopefully it's just a mad tight calf which is the problem. That said, it didn't really affect my run too much today - more ache than pain definitely. I stopped twice for a bit of stretching during the run and it helped. And....drumroll, my mileage for the week is 50.03 miles - woohoo! My first ever 50 mile week. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done rachel, great work!

• Advertisement

Great race report Rachel. And well done on your LSR yesterday! Puts some of us to shame! :o

Well done on a great race Rachel! Brilliant stuff :)

Savage stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on a great race Rachel! Brilliant stuff :)
    Savage stuff ;)

Do you two always go on the internet at the same time? :confused: :P

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you two always go on the internet at the same time? :confused: :P

Well, it's where we met! I always wanted an Internet bride but was hoping she'd have a tan ;)

• Advertisement

Well, it's where we met! I always wanted an Internet bride but was hoping she'd have a tan ;)

FFS!!

To answer the original question - I am not online that often at the minute as I have limited access. I do however, post an update when I'm at home looking for a new job. Digdig, on the other hand, appears to go online only when he is attempting to lose his job so he can be at home watching Jeremy Kyle. :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

bride

:eek: it's official.... ladies it's time to start hat shopping!

littlebug wrote: »
    :eek: it's official.... ladies it's time to start hat shopping!

Do people wear hats to castration ceremonies of smart a*ses these days?! :pac:

Jeez I don't post for a day and the log goes a bit nuts... I love it when that happens :D

Plan: 7 recovery miles w/ 6x100m sprints.
    Actual: 7.1 miles - 6 @ 10:24 pace, 6x20sec sprints w/40sec recovery (0.67 mile), 0.43 mile cooldown.

Not a bad one at all. Made sure to keep the early miles really slow. Left calf still a bit achy and sore - physio last night couldn't believe how tight muscle was. But it was okay once I warmed up. Did some stretches before the sprints and it was fine. Feels grand now, will continue stretches and tennis ball massage later. 12 miles tomorrow, and supposed to be rest on Thursday with LT miles Friday. But I'm going to switch that around so it's rest on Friday in prep for 20 on Saturday - already feeling nervous about that one and it's only Tuesday...

Plan: 12 mile med/long run
    Actual: 8.2 miles in 9:47 pace.

It's the usual story - want to make God laugh? Make plans :rolleyes: Yesterday's run was grand and the plans for the week were all good... But my calf and shin felt sore. And still felt sore all day. I iced it and massaged and stretched. But the ache/pain was still there. I decided to take each mile this morning as it happened, and see how I felt. It was quite sore at the start but eased after the first mile or so. I ticked off each mile and assessed each time - will I go on? Will I go back? After 3.5 miles I stopped and stretched. That definitely helped. Eventually I got to 8 miles, very close to my house. Would I go on for another loop or would I go home? It wasn't very sore but what if... Common sense prevailed and I came home - 8.2 miles.

I KNOW it's nothing like last year - it's an ache rather than a pain and I was able to run through it. But I don't want to HAVE to run through aches and have them all of a sudden become something that's a disaster and stops everything. I'm 93 days away from NYC - yes, I've counted :rolleyes: So now I'm sitting with the leg up, icing away. And I'm taking a few days off. Training has been going very well - the 10 mile on Saturday was better than I expected, I've done a few LT and sprint runs and got the hang of them. At this stage, I don't think a few days will have a huge effect. I'll miss a 20 mile this weekend, but I WILL make it up later on. I would really really hate to miss something I've looked forward to so much, just because I wasn't prepared to accept that my body needed a break for a few days. And let's face it, I'm getting old, I'm knackered! Hopefully a few days will recharge the batteries and help the calf/shin - fingers crossed...

No harm in taking it easy or doing less mileage. You did the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I think us girls are better at listening to the body than the boys are. Good on you.

Missing a few mile now won't make a huge difference in the long run, but running yourself into injury would!
    Enjoy a few days rest.
    Get your stretches in or get out the foamroller :(:p

...and sure aren't we all getting older :D You can't use that as an excuse!

Plan: 6 recovery miles
    Actual: 6.2 miles @ 9:33 pace

Took it easy for the last five days. I was dying to get out but held back to make sure the leg felt okay. I've iced, massaged, nurofened, sticked and stretched that buggering calf since last Wednesday :) I was very wary when I went out first thing - I did a few stretches and warm ups, and then took it very handy for the first mile. The plan was to take each mile as it came, same as the last day - if it felt sore, straight home. And thankfully, it felt okay.

Last week, I did a quick assessment and decided to change a few things. For instance, I've been wearing sandals all summer, which are probably not helping my plodlike flat feet. So back into shoes with insoles. I changed the arch lift on the orthotic to a slightly higher one. I bought The Stick and have been using that, as well as my trusty tennis ball. I've made sure to do my stretching and exercises every day, at least twice. And I took some Nurofen for 3 days and iced to help the inflammation.

Right now, there's still a bit of an ache, like the muscle is being caught between someone's fingernails but there's no pain when running and no pain (so far) after. It's achiest first thing in the morning but gets better as the day goes on. I'm icing right now as a precautionary measure but fingers crossed, it seems okay. I will definitely keep an eye on it and amend the schedule as required for the next few weeks - I'm getting to New York, one way or the other.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Rachel, you're training has been going fantastic, taking it a bit easier for another few days won't do you any harm at all. Loads of time til NY :) Mind yourself.

Plan: 14 miles med/long run
    Actual: 6.31 miles @ 9:42 pace

Playing around with schedule a teeny bit - kids back in school tomorrow so try to do today's 14 then. Didn't really want to push too much this morning, just in case. Shin/calf ok, did my stretches and stick yesterday, will continue today. It felt fine while running, one or two twinges but no pain. Long may that continue :)
    Edit: another change - I find it hurts more if I run on the left footpath of the road (if that makes sense). It must be the camber that makes the arch drop further and increases the strain. So, right hand paths only from now on - honestly, I look like such a plonker crossing backwards and forwards to find the optimum path height!

• Advertisement
Advertisement