Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well it's about time! I registered for Dunshaughlin as well. Something to look forward to / dread for the next few weeks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

racheljev wrote: »
    8.1 miles in 1:16:25, avg pace 9:26. Initially intended 6 miles but just kept going - really enjoyed that. Quite warm out there, but not too hot to mess me about. Kept the pace steady - mile splits all between 9:22 and 9:32. But.... definitely think I'm running my slow runs too fast and my fast runs too slow. This one probably should have been closer to 9:50 / 10:00 avg pace. Something to keep an eye on. Still, a lovely lovely run, one of those that felt it could have gone on. And indeed it might have if child no. 1 didn't have to go to a gaa match and child no. 2 didn't have to go to gymnastics...:) Woohoo, is my mojo finally back???

Read this post with a smile. Great to hear the joy back in your running. Delighted for you:)

4 miles in 37:12, avg pace 9:18. Rain and wind this morning - love it! Wasn't going to go out but a quick HTFU later andI was out. Added another of my little hills in for mile 3 - trying to make sure I do at least one for every session, must not be afraid of hills...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Rain and wind this morning - love it!
    Taking lessons from RQ? :D

4.1 miles in 39:33, avg pace 9:38. Out early, just after 6. Legs felt quite sluggish to start, probably after last night's zumba class. Took a while to get moving properly. But felt ok after the first mile - made the effort to keep pace down though, feel like I could have gone faster. Wanted this to be an easy enough one though. Off now to bring 27 11/12 year old boys to the National Gallery and Natural Museum - got suckered into being an extra adult on oldest boy's school tour....:eek:

• Advertisement

6.2 miles in 57:10. Really really needed that today.Getting ready for school this morning and discovered some little sh1t had smacked/kicked the wing mirror on the car so hard that it sprung back and broke the fly glass at the side of the door. So, glass all over car, no time to clean it up so pegged the kids down the road at high speed. Then, off to Autoglass with unwanted air conditioning in car to have perspex put in until proper glass comes in tomorrow. Got back home, straight into gear and out the door to do 4, no hang on 5, no wait a minute 6 miles to get rid of some of the pent up rage and anger at little b*st*rds who don't care about other people's possesions/insurance premiums... Felt much better by the time I got home - even more so because I tackled two of my least favourite roads with uphill bits. Deep breath... and relax...

Forgot to mention big package from Amazon this morning with new sports bra, new Asics nimbus and Advanced marathoning by P&D. Runners cost €67 :D NYC training cycle? Bring it on :cool:

6.2 miles in 57:10. Really really needed that today.Getting ready for school this morning and discovered some little sh1t had smacked/kicked the wing mirror on the car so hard that it sprung back and broke the fly glass at the side of the door. So, glass all over car, no time to clean it up so pegged the kids down the road at high speed. Then, off to Autoglass with unwanted air conditioning in car to have perspex put in until proper glass comes in tomorrow. Got back home, straight into gear and out the door to do 4, no hang on 5, no wait a minute 6 miles to get rid of some of the pent up rage and anger at little b*st*rds who don't care about other people's possesions/insurance premiums... Felt much better by the time I got home - even more so because I tackled two of my least favourite roads with uphill bits. Deep breath... and relax...

Jeez Rachel thats awful. Little battards!!

4 miles in 36:07, avg pace 9:02. Quite hot out there, my lovely pink top matches my fab red face. Didn't really want to go out but as usual, the hardest step is the one out the door and once I got moving, it was grand. Decided to try and go as fast as I was comfortable with, not too out of breath, just pushing it a bit. Mile 1 9:12, followed by 9:01, 8:58, 8:55. Most of the route was flattish but I made sure I had one decent-ish hill. And thank you to the man in the truck stopped at the Malahide Road traffic lights who shouted "Nice arse, keep going", it made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

4 miles in 36:07, avg pace 9:02. Quite hot out there, my lovely pink top matches my fab red face. Didn't really want to go out but as usual, the hardest step is the one out the door and once I got moving, it was grand. Decided to try and go as fast as I was comfortable with, not too out of breath, just pushing it a bit. Mile 1 9:12, followed by 9:01, 8:58, 8:55. Most of the route was flattish but I made sure I had one decent-ish hill. And thank you to the man in the truck stopped at the Malahide Road traffic lights who shouted "Nice arse, keep going", it made my day :D

Moments like these make it all worthwhile! :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

10.1 miles in 1:35:35, avg pace 9:27. Pace skewed a wee bit by last mile - Miles 1 to 9 were done between 9:30 & 9:40; for the last mile I sped up to 8:20, just to see if I could after 9 miles. And I could :D Still finding it awkward to keep pace down at the start and I know if I don't, I pay for it later in the run. Worked very hard at not pegging it up the road first thing this morning. And of course, because I took it easy and didn't peg it, I was able for an 8:20 mile without being too wrecked at the end - lesson learnt :) And I think I've found the song for this training cycle - it's a toss up between "Don't stop believin'" (the Journey version of course) or "Parachute" by Something Happens...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuLcCmj4vMY&feature=related

5.5 miles in 49:37, avg pace 9:01. Didn't run Sunday or Monday. After Saturday's run, legs felt great, all good. Had to go to OH's aunt's birthday party on Saturday afternoon, so nice dress and fancy shoes were in order. Left calf felt a bit crampy with high heels but it was ok. Got a text from my cousin about 4pm asking if I wanted spare ticket for Take That. And I did! Lashed home, got changed and offloaded the children to very accommodating sister in law. At this stage, my left calf felt like the muscle was in spasm. Did I stretch, sit down, rest it in any way? No I walked to and from Croke Park (just under 4 miles), stood on the pitch and danced like a looper for 3 hours. By the time I got home, the leg was so sore I couldn't massage it properly. So, rubbed some deep heat into it and took two nurofen. It had eased a little bit on Sunday but still had a horrible achy feel to it. Even yesterday it still felt a bit sore. So, decided to use a bit of common sense and not run till it felt better - which it did this morning, and 5.5 happy miles under my belt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

5.5 miles in 49:37, avg pace 9:01. Didn't run Sunday or Monday. After Saturday's run, legs felt great, all good. Had to go to OH's aunt's birthday party on Saturday afternoon, so nice dress and fancy shoes were in order. Left calf felt a bit crampy with high heels but it was ok. Got a text from my cousin about 4pm asking if I wanted spare ticket for Take That. And I did! Lashed home, got changed and offloaded the children to very accommodating sister in law. At this stage, my left calf felt like the muscle was in spasm. Did I stretch, sit down, rest it in any way? No I walked to and from Croke Park (just under 4 miles), stood on the pitch and danced like a looper for 3 hours. By the time I got home, the leg was so sore I couldn't massage it properly. So, rubbed some deep heat into it and took two nurofen. It had eased a little bit on Sunday but still had a horrible achy feel to it. Even yesterday it still felt a bit sore. So, decided to use a bit of common sense and not run till it felt better - which it did this morning, and 5.5 happy miles under my belt :)

Ah but it was all worth it to see the boys :D. I was up at the top of the Canal End and the frigging steps nearly killed my leg - especially the emergency toilet breaks (knew I should have stopped drinking!) :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You missed out by being on the pitch. We had a bitch fight in our row. Highlight of my night tbh. :pac:

5.5 miles in 50:16, avg pace 9:08. A lovely rainy run, nothing fancy, just a few nice miles in the rain :)

Grrrr, not a good day at the office for me. Got to Dunshaughlin just after 5.30 as I wasn't sure how bad the traffic would be. Sat in the car for ages making myself more and more nervous. Met up with the usual suspects in the hall - RQ, RK, Meno, RayCun, Cinguetti, MrSlow, Claralara and Digger, loads of boardsies around apparently. Headed up to the start line in plenty of time, RQ tried to get me to move further up but I was happy hanging around the back. No start mat, just go over the white line and off we go. I reckon I was about 10-15 secs behind the gun. Had hopes of between 52 and 53 min finish, and was doing ok for the first few kms. From about km 4, things weren't good. Legs felt heavy, heat was mad, sun too hot! I'm not good in the heat or the evening apparently :rolleyes: Hit halfway in 26:06 so wasn't too bad at that stage. 6k alright. 7k - absolute sh** Had to stop and walk after picking up water outside some very kind person's house. Cannot believe I had to walk in a 10k race :mad: Km 7 was 6:06 :eek: And that was after kms between 5:10 and 5:20. Grrr. Anyway got through km 8 in 5:56, and then 9 & 10 in 5:14 and 5:08. Finally finished in 53:56, second half 27:40, fricking awful. Came over the line and saw the boardsies again. Used a huge amount of bad language to describe how horrible I felt - apologies folks, I really went off on one! I'd calmed down a bit by the time I got back to the centre, and enjoyed the great hospitality put on by Dunshaughlin AC, really good stuff.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's a pb by about 30 secs, so that's good. So, putting the rotten bits to the back of my mind and maybe revisit 10k in Dun Laoire in August - maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

That was a wicked hot evening to do a race. Good on you, and congrats on the PB! :D It may not have been as you expected, but it's still a PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB under the conditions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Well done Rachel! A PB is a PB! Was just thinking when you wrote "cannot believe I had to walk in a 10k race": just think how far we've all (well, some of us :D ) have come over the past few years! Time was when that sentence would have read "cannot believe I was able to finish a 10k race". Just my thoughts for the day :)

Well done Rachel! A PB is a PB! Was just thinking when you wrote "cannot believe I had to walk in a 10k race": just think how far we've all (well, some of us :D ) have come over the past few years! Time was when that sentence would have read "cannot believe I was able to finish a 10k race". Just my thoughts for the day :)

Yep, I know you're right. And tbh, don't think I could have gone much faster or given much more last night; so after calming down a bit from my initial rant after crossing the line (once again, sorry folks!) I'm happyish. Got a 10k AND 5k pb so - I should be happy right?:rolleyes:
    Oh, chip time was 54:09, which would tie in with me thinking I was between 10 & 15 secs behind the line - every time someone called out the time on the way around, I was 10-15 secs out. I'm taking it as 53:56 anyway!

• Advertisement

Well done Rach, dont be so hard on yourself, a PB in difficult conditions. You know you will def go faster in the next one. I would kill for your pace!

Nice to meet you on Saturday (even if it was a brief meeting!). Conditions were so tough out there.
    PS: you weren't the only one who walked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice one Rachel, well done on the PB :D

Thanks folks. Sticking Saturday to the back of my mind now, over and done with :)
    Nice to meet you on Saturday (even if it was a brief meeting!).
    Good to meet you too K, you never know, we might even have a chat the next time :)

Ok today - 4.25 miles done in 39.14. Brought the Garmin with me but didn't look at it. I know how long the route is so just used it as a stopwatch. Ran for comfort not speed, still managed to do it with avg pace of 9:14. Still very humid, me no likey.:(

4.3 miles in 39:25, avg pace 9:10. Did the same as yesterday, brought the garmin to track the miles but didn't look at it while I ran. Looking back at the stats, I seemed to keep fairly steady pace even on my one big uphill bit. Very very hot out there today, felt mad thirsty by the time I got home. Got a bit of sun on my arms and shoulders, happy days - except for the big white bit on the top of my arm where my phone was.... d'oh!:rolleyes:

4.3 miles in 39:25, avg pace 9:10. Did the same as yesterday, brought the garmin to track the miles but didn't look at it while I ran. Looking back at the stats, I seemed to keep fairly steady pace even on my one big uphill bit. Very very hot out there today, felt mad thirsty by the time I got home. Got a bit of sun on my arms and shoulders, happy days - except for the big white bit on the top of my arm where my phone was.... d'oh!:rolleyes:

I know I shouldn't laugh! :)

5.3 miles in 48:57, avg pace 9:14. Really didn't want to do this one, knackered tired and I really don't like running when it's sunny :( But, as usual, when I got going I felt ok - not great, just ok. Besides, it was my last chance to run at a reasonable hour. From today, school holidays begin and I'll be back to running at stupid o'clock in the morning to get the run in. Did the same as Monday and Tuesday - turned on the garmin and tried not to look at it. I thought I'd been much slower than the other day, but I actually wasn't so that's good... I think.... Currently ploughing my way through the P&D plan - my head hurts from VO2 and lactate calculations. 18 week program for NYC due to start on Monday but we'll be away for a week and OH off for another week - not sure if I'll be able to fit in the required runs so might look into continuing to bring mileage up over next few weeks and then try 12 week plan... Decisions, decisions. Booked myself in for the race series as well, happy days. Hopefully I get to complete it this year - last year's series was upset by stress fracture the week after the 10 mile. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that this year isn't a repeat.

Best of luck with the training plan Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

5.3 miles in 48:57, avg pace 9:14. Really didn't want to do this one, knackered tired and I really don't like running when it's sunny :( But, as usual, when I got going I felt ok - not great, just ok. Besides, it was my last chance to run at a reasonable hour. From today, school holidays begin and I'll be back to running at stupid o'clock in the morning to get the run in.

That heat can really sap the energy out of ya alright.
    I really don't envy you those early morning runs. My body (and my brain!) just doesn't work in the morning. Very impressed with anyone that has the commitment and drive to do that though!
    Currently ploughing my way through the P&D plan - my head hurts from VO2 and lactate calculations.

Sheesh! I'm sticking with good ol Hal and his "run X miles on a tuesday" plans. Much easier to follow and no tricky maths to work out :D
    My brain hurts when I look at those P&D books :confused:

Good luck with the training.

• Advertisement

10.3 miles in 1:37:26, avg pace 9:27. Another day when I didn't want to get out and, once I did, loved it. Followed a route I've been running for a while. Did an extra .25 mile up and down a few roads so by the time I got to my normal 4 mile spot, I'd already done nearly 6 - great for sorting the head out and fooling the body into doing a bit more;) Right hamstring feels a bit tight at the minute but it's not sore, just a bit achy. Felt it a few times during the run but nothing too bad. Off to stand in a cold shower and then lash on a bit of deep heat - how lucky my family are to share my house with me :D

Advertisement