Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can see the sun in wintertime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

4.5 miles in 40:50, avg pace 9:03. Bit faster than I intended this morning. Most of the route was flattish except for the last .75 mile so I was slightly speedier than planned. Good morning to be out - saw a few people heading up for the Clontarf half and 5 mile. Should have really given this one a go but, ah well, maybe next year.

Bought myself a bike last night, picking it up tomorrow. Hoping to use it for rest/cross training days. I don't have a great track record with bikes - I tend to fall off them :( so I purposely bought one with a smallish frame so I can always put the feet down if I feel a bit panicky - I was tempted to ask if they did stabilisers for adults as well;) It's not a very fancy bike but it should do me. A few laps up and down Griffith Avenue and I'll be grand :) 18 week program starts tomorrow...

And so it begins... Yesterday was day 1 of P&D 55 mile plan. And it was a rest/crosstraining day. And I was knackered and I hadn't collected my new bike, so it was a rest day. Today, the fun really started. Took me ages to figure out the various paces (honestly, why am I finding this so difficult? I'm reasonably intelligent, I have a diploma in computer science, I should be able to do this. But once I see the words maximal heart rate and heart rate reserve and threshold and VO2 capacity, my eyes start to cross and the head drifts off).

Anyway, with a bit of a back-of-an-envelope calculation, I reckon my paces should be somewhere as follows:
    LT pace 8:45 - 9:00
    Med/long runs 9:55 - 10:55
    Easy runs 9:55 - 10:25
    General runs 9:30ish

Today's plan was LT run - 8 miles w/4 @ 15k/half mar pace which should be 2 @ 9:50ish, 4 @ 8:45-9, 2 @ 9:30
    Actual was 8.1 in 1:12:23 - 9:54, 9:47, 8:36, 8:28, 8:21, 8:12, 8:54, 9:14, 0.1 @ 9:16

I wasn't sure if I'd be able for this, so I planned my route in order for the last tempo mile to be mainly flat/downhill. Think in general my tempo miles were a bit fast, but they still felt ok. Still need to work on making my slow miles slow. (And I know for most people, they are slow miles!)
    Tomorrow is rest/cross training so a quick spin on the new bike should be in order. Only 17 weeks and 5 days to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Very impressive Rachel :)

First time out on the bike - out early so I don't have to cope with too much traffic. 7.4 miles, not great but ok for my first trip. Jeez I'm such a wuss :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Hey Rachel! I also found this site good for working out running times and training paces :)http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

• Advertisement

Today's plan was 9 GA miles at around 9:30ish pace. Actual was 9 miles in 1:24:54, avg pace 9:26. Didn't use the garmin too much - looked every now and again to make sure I was close enough to 9:30 pace. Apart from mile 1, which was 9:44, it was all between 9:20 & 9:30. Did an out and back with a bit of up&down. I'm going to use these runs to try out foodie stuff - maoam chewy sweets this morning. Nice bit of a boost, no tummy issues, just too darn chewy... Maybe it's time to give gels another go. Any time I've tried them before, there've been tummy problems afterwards (or during, which is very unpleasant :eek:) Tomorrow is rest/cross training so I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Plan was 12 miles at lsr pace, 9:57-10:27. Actual was 12.3 miles in 2:00:18, avg pace 9:46. First 9 miles were all between 9:46 - 9:57. Then, starting mile 10, I got this panicked feeling that I was supposed to do PMP miles in this run - don't ask me where I got this idea from, I'm obviously getting a bit P&D obsessed... Anyway, I decided to pick up the pace a little bit and ended up with 9:25 avg pace for for the last 3.3 miles. Of course, when I got back and checked the schedule, I saw there were no pmp miles for this week's lsr - d'oh! Ah well, at least I got the 12 done. Was only in the door from the run and the kids "persuaded" me to go swimming with them and OH - so, had a nice hour in the pool followed by a dirty big fryup in Sportslink :D Happy days....

Plan was recovery 4 miles at 10+ pace. Actual was 4 miles in 39:59, as close to 10.00 avg pace as possible. The only hard thing about this one was keeping the pace at 10, I kept wanting to peg it down the road. Didn't even break a sweat and felt like there was loads in the legs, which I assume is the point of a recovery run :rolleyes: Plan of 33 for the week, actual mileage 33.3 and a bike ride. Not bad for my first P&D week. :)

Next week I'll follow as much as possible. We've a wedding to go to on Friday, the 5 miler in the park is on Saturday and as soon as the race is over, we're heading to Donegal for a week so plan might be a bit all over the place. But, will cross that bridge when I come to it. This time 17 weeks....

Wow, that was tough. Plan was 8 GA miles w/10 x 100m strides, something I'd never done before. Because it was 10 sets of strides, I decided it would be easier to run 12.8 kms, do 2 km warmup, 1 set of strides at start of each km and then 1.8 warm down.
    Actual was 12.81 kms (7.96 miles), in 1:10:55, avg pace 5.32, with 10 x 120-150m strides. Stride pace was 3:51 - 4:30/km. Definitely the hardest session I've ever done. I'm knackered, but I'm chuffed it's done. Bit annoyed I did just under 8 miles though, stupid conversion :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

racheljev wrote: »
    Wow, that was tough. Plan was 8 GA miles w/10 x 100m strides, something I'd never done before. Because it was 10 sets of strides, I decided it would be easier to run 12.8 kms, do 2 km warmup, 1 set of strides at start of each km and then 1.8 warm down.
    Actual was 12.81 kms (7.96 miles), in 1:10:55, avg pace 5.32, with 10 x 120-150m strides. Stride pace was 3:51 - 4:30/km. Definitely the hardest session I've ever done. I'm knackered, but I'm chuffed it's done. Bit annoyed I did just under 8 miles though, stupid conversion :rolleyes:

Well done on that this morning. You're a week behind me on P&D - it's interesting how people differ; I've had not-so-successful LSRs but loved that session with the strides last week. Though I could not have done it first thing in the morning - I can get up and run before work but I have jack all speed or power at that time. Keep ir'up! ;)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on that this morning. You're a week behind me on P&D - it's interesting how people differ; I've had not-so-successful LSRs but loved that session with the strides last week. Though I could not have done it first thing in the morning - I can get up and run before work but I have jack all speed or power at that time. Keep ir'up! ;)
    Thanks for that. I've been watching your log like a hawk to see what's ahead of me! I reckon you found the strides easier because of your track work. This morning was my first attempt, and judging by the faces in the cars passing me by, it wasn't pretty :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks for that. I've been watching your log like a hawk to see what's ahead of me!
    Smackdown!

*takes out popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I might be wrong, but I don't think you should be doing strides so fast, or so long that they feel really hard. You should only go at about 80% effort, and only for 10-15 seconds. You want to be able to concentrate on running with good form, and if you're gasping for breath you can't do that.
    I had a quick look at some links, and they talk about even shorter distances than 100 metres, and making sure to stop before you lose good form.

Smackdown!

*takes out popcorn*
    Eh no, I'm WAY too old to get caught up in something like that!:D

Eh no, I'm WAY too old to get caught up in something like that!:D

Never say never :D

RayCun wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I don't think you should be doing strides so fast, or so long that they feel really hard. You should only go at about 80% effort, and only for 10-15 seconds. You want to be able to concentrate on running with good form, and if you're gasping for breath you can't do that.
    I had a quick look at some links, and they talk about even shorter distances than 100 metres, and making sure to stop before you lose good form.
    Thanks Ray, will have a look at those later. It wasn't that they felt really hard or I was gasping, it was just that I wasn't used to them and to start with 10, might have been a bit much. Also, I don't think I got back to GA pace, I think I was too fast inbetween. And I didn't measure them with the garmin, I counted 100 strides because I think I read that in one of the DCM novice logs. All mistakes I'll hopefully rectify next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If Digger and Mr Slow were doing Smackdown for the fabled pink socks, maybe the two ladies could do it for a dirty "wife beater" - rab c nesbit style :pac:

Rab_C_Nesbitt_877192604.jpg

Im sure several people around here could provide one of those :pac:

Stop that nonsense! There'll be no talk of smackdowns or any of that muck on my log! And no pics of Rab C Nesbitt either - jeez, I'm not the better for that.
    imagesCAX9WT99.jpg
    If you're going to put up a man in a vest, at least make him a hottie... Phwoar...

fabled pink socks
    Confession time: I hit the bottom of the sock drawer last week, and there they were... :(

Plan: Rest/cross training.
    Actualy: 8.9 GA-ish miles in 1:24:34, avg pace 9:30.
    Decided to do most of tomorrow's 10 GA miles today, because of the 5 mile in the Park on Saturday. Felt quite tired after yesterday's session but once I got going, I felt okay. Intended to do 5-6 easy miles but ended up just under 9 at a reasonable enough pace. Will head out on the bike tomorrow morning for another try at a few miles without falling off or wobbling excessively :)

• Advertisement

A quick report before we hit the road for Donegal. Finished this in 42:21 by my watch, 5.04 miles. Would have liked closer to 41 tbh, but a toughish last mile combined with dancing at a wedding last night till all hours put the kybosh on anything really fast for me. Mile 1 was mental crowded. I started about 1/3 up the second wave and it took ages to get moving. Even passed a person walking before we even hit the Phoenix monument :confused: Mile 1 was 8:50. Mile 2 and 3 were much quicker, 8:06 and 7:51. Mile 4 & 5 weren't great. I wasn't able for the bends and the kyber today, just too tired from yesterday. Still 42:21 isn't far outside my Raheny 5 mile time so not too unhappy. Right, off to Donegal now. Probably won't be updating the log that much - it all depends on 3g/wifi access! Have to finish week 2 of P&D tomorrow with 13 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done today, nice to finally meet you in person!

Gonna pop up to Ryans later on , we all know meno and brain will be there all day :)

Well done today, nice to finally meet you in person!

Gonna pop up to Ryans later on , we all know meno and brain will be there all day :)

Great to meet you too, enjoy the beers :) Just checked my chip time and it's 47:58, same as my finish time! Oooh the injustice. I started in the second wave, like I was suposed to and clock had a good 5 and a half mins on it when I went through. It had better be sorted... Pronto...

Yay, chip time fixed on DCM website, 42:21, happy days :)

Today, a windy and sandy 3.2 miles. We headed to Donegal as soon as I got back from the park. All grand till about 7.30 when OH decided to cut some bread and almost cut his finger off. All in the car and off we went to Letterkenny A&E for a few hours. Glue, paper stitches and a tetanus later, we headed back to the holiday house. Had great intentions of going out yesterday but wedding on Friday, race on Saturday and finger trauma knocked the stuffing out of me - unscheduled rest day.

Probably won't follow P&D to the letter this week, will just get in as many miles as I can. Beach quite close to house, might do a few miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As ray says, strides shouldn't be such a difficult workout. Just think a quick bursts of pace for 15 seconds, go up to 5k pace and no more. You shouldn't feel knackered after them....First time I did them I took them dead serious and ran at flat out sprinting speed. My legs weren't right for a few days after :o I soon learned :D

Well done on Saturday. Good time on a tough course.

Thanks Meno, will take your and Rays advice on board for next strides session. What's your recovery between each one - is it ok to do one at start of each km or should they be closer together?

An easy 3.3 miles on the beach. Did a better job of gauging the sand than yesterday, slightly less of taking a step and ending up 6 inches deep. Still, it's not really conducive to following the program. Ah well, if all goes astray, I could always restart at twelve weeks instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks Meno, will take your and Rays advice on board for next strides session. What's your recovery between each one - is it ok to do one at start of each km or should they be closer together?

You should be recovered completely from one before you start the next, so one at the start of each km would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, I did 5 today over the course of about 2 miles, so about 500m easy running between each. I don't worry about an exact distance either for the strides, I just pick a few lampposts in the distance about 100m apart, start as I pass one and slow as I pass the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, I did 5 today over the course of about 2 miles, so about 500m easy running between each. I don't worry about an exact distance either for the strides, I just pick a few lampposts in the distance about 100m apart, start as I pass one and slow as I pass the other...

Strides in the middle of a run? Never in my life have i heard of anyone doing that. Always at the end a couple of mins after an easy run is best to get most benefit from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I thought the same. Meno is doing a fartlek run really by doing it that way.

P&D doesn't give any guidance on what way those sort of workouts should be done in the book, there's been a lot of debate on here in the past about how they're meant to be done.

I'd do them at the end of my run, you're not meant to be running them flat out anyway so going back to your starting position should be enough recovery really - unless it tells you to do it at 5k pace or something, even then 100m at 5k pace shouldn't take much recovery.

Advertisement