Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Salvia still legal in Ireland

• 01-01-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Im just curious to know if Salvia weed is now illegal in ireland. With the clamp down on all the legal highs in ireland i have not heard anything about salvia and it appears to still be legal. I dont want any of the stuff because i seen people trip on it in a scary way bu a friend of mine was curious.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Salvia_divinorum.

Is this actually true though?

Superyoung

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

As i understand it anything psychoactive is now illegal unless they say otherwise.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2010/3410/34a10s.pdf

The country doesnt need the tax money, apparently it's better to have it in the hands of criminals :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed it was a catch all measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 superyoung

Then would that apply to something like dried hops or hops hash as its sometimes called (which is a medicinal resin ) that has no THC or anything like that. It tends to just have sedative effects that make you sleepy.

The pdf is very broad and slightly vague so someone into natural healing may be using an illegal herb and not even realize it. From reading the pdf it seems most of it is aimed more so at the former headshop owners. They really wanted to get rid of them fast didnt they lol.

Has the whole hullabaloo calm down since they were closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

superyoung wrote: »

Has the whole hullabaloo calm down since they were closed?

Nope, it's just gone tax free. But at least the "talk to Joe" brigade are happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

is nutmeg specifically legalised then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hammered hippie

The government found it neccesary to help drug lords and crime gangs so anything psychoactive is forbidden to be sold in head shops.
    You are however allowed to own and consume Salvia. No problem. Just advertisement, sale, trade, import, export and ownership of quantities of which one might suspect they were for trade are illegal.

Even herbal teas could spell trouble for head shops...not for other shops because this government loves to discriminate..its their second favorite hobby after helping drug lords and crime gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hops is legal you can grow it no problem, never heard of hops hash. Happy enough with hops in my beer, I don't need to smoke it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The government found it neccesary to help drug lords and crime gangs so anything psychoactive is forbidden to be sold in head shops.
    Can you link to the law?

Nutmeg is psychoactive, yet is sold in super markets. Are these different to Head shops under the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nutmeg is a legitimate spice. Most people would not know what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 superyoung

Hammered hippie -
    "The government found it neccesary to help drug lords and crime gangs so anything psychoactive is forbidden to be sold in head shops.
    You are however allowed to own and consume Salvia. No problem. Just advertisement, sale, trade, import, export and ownership of quantities of which one might suspect they were for trade are illegal."

So ordering a small amount on online is legal? Ok im confused.

Also im told smoking nutmeg can make you sick and im sure it doesnt do anything anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

In relation to substances such as nutmeg:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0022/sec0002.html#sec2
    2.— (1) This Act shall not apply to—

(a) a medicinal product within the meaning of section 1 (1) of the Irish Medicines Board Act 1995 ,

(b) an animal remedy within the meaning of section 1 of the Animal Remedies Act 1993 authorised in accordance with—

(i) the European Communities (Animal Remedies) (No. 2) Regulations 2007 ( S.I. No. 786 of 2007 ), or

(ii) Regulation (EC) No. 726/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 1 as amended,

prescribed or sold for administration to an animal in accordance with those provisions,

(c) intoxicating liquor within the meaning of section 77 of the Licensing Act 1872,

(d) a tobacco product within the meaning of section 2 of the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2002 ,

(e) food within the meaning of section 2 of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland Act 1998 which has been placed on the market in compliance with food legislation within the meaning of that section,

(f) unless otherwise expressly provided for in this Act, a controlled drug, or

(g) such other substance, product, preparation, plant, fungus or natural organism as may be specified by order under subsection (2).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0029/sec0002.html#sec2
    Food Safety Authority of Ireland Act 1988

“food” includes—

(a) any substance used, available to be used or intended to be used, for food or drink by human persons, and

(b) any substance which enters into or is used in the production, composition or preparation of these substances,

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Thought id bump this thread because i was also on looking info on this stuff. Heres a wee clip for anyone who wants to know what it does. Why anyone would want to take this is beyond me, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I see this is an old thread but the last post bothered me, you could say the same thing about anything, i smoked salvia once and while i would admit it was not exactly enjoyable it was a very interesting experience that i do not regret having. I think the way it and all psychotropic drugs have been banned is pathetic beyond belief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement