Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Headed over to Marlay this morning, lovely weather for a run and lot of people about......Tried to run on the grass when I could (which is something I don't normally do but should).......

I saw a girl I recognized from somewhere and when I passed her on my second loop she was laughing at me looking all confused and trying to figure out how I knew her....:confused: Of course I should have stopped and asked her how I knew her but that would have put undue pressure and temptation on her.....;)

Anyway....4.34 miles at 8:13 pace

Did she not recognise you with your clothes on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He'd already eaten the banana

RayCun wrote: »
    He'd already eaten the banana

That man was born prepared, they found a banana secreted on/in his person on the way back through the airport on his recent ski trip.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

mrslow wrote: »
    That man was born prepared, they found a banana secreted on/in his person on the way back through the airport on his recent ski trip.:eek:

Some powerful scanners they must have in the airport to pick up something that small. Maybe I won't get away with the tweezers and aerosol I've hidden in my bag for the weekend. *Toddles off to repack*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Some powerful scanners they must have in the airport to pick up something that small. Maybe I won't get away with the tweezers

Eh........Leave the tweezers with me.....;)

• Advertisement

Wasn't really planning on running today but the weather was just too good...

8.47 Miles @ 8:42 pace

Scratchy throat this evening:mad: I hope it doesn't develop.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

good running keep it up

Nice running and that's taper talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Man flu twice since Christmas..... what are the chances! ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Man flu twice since Christmas..... what are the chances! ;)

:D - I'd actually say that I've had a cold/sore throat at least a half dozen times since the middle of the last Adidas series...Not at all like me so I must look more closely at nutrition as my mileage increases....

• Advertisement

I've signed up chief, your turn!:D

Went out this afternoon for a loosener and to get five runs in this week.....

Did 3.07 miles at 8:37 pace - Felt quite lightheaded and perspired far more than I should have, hopefully that will be the back of the dose I have!

So, a pretty good week - 5 Runs...

Mon - 11.1 Miles @ 8:49
    Tues - 4.56 Miles @ 7.58
    Thurs - 4.34 Miles @ 8:13
    Fri - 8.47 Miles @ 8:42
    Sun - 3.02 Miles @ 8:37

WTD - 31.49 Miles

MTD - 72.70 Miles

Mileage is improving and my training pace has improved......I've got to start looking after myself a bit better now re; Nutrition etc. Not sure what sort of race I'll run in Mallow but if I can kick this cold early in the coming week I'm hoping to set a PB.

So, a pretty good week - 5 Runs...

Mon - 11.1 Miles @ 8:49
    Tues - 4.56 Miles @ 7.58
    Thurs - 4.34 Miles @ 8:13
    Fri - 8.47 Miles @ 8:42
    Sun - 3.02 Miles @ 8:37

WTD - 31.49 Miles

MTD - 72.70 Miles

Mileage is improving and my training pace has improved......I've got to start looking after myself a bit better now re; Nutrition etc. Not sure what sort of race I'll run in Mallow but if I can kick this cold early in the coming week I'm hoping to set a PB.

That's all quite quick, if you're running in high gear all the time you'll wear yourself out.

I met up with The Sorcerer's (Menopause) Apprentice (mrslow) this morning to discuss 'Competitive Runner', P&D, VO2 Max and Lactic Threshold......He kindly printed me out a 10 week training schedule for the Cork Marathon, which, despite the remnants of man flu and a sore neck again, I went out and did the first part of the plan tonight..

11.5 Miles @ 9:16 pace

It's a pretty serious plan for an old man...;)

If Meno got his zimmer frame through the 18 week schedule, you'll do fine! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I checked it out earlier...it looks eh interesting... I just hope you both leave me some good sh1t in yisser wills! :D

I checked it out earlier...it looks eh interesting... I just hope you both leave me some good sh1t in yisser wills! :D

Please note; To claralara I leave my finest banana....Sorry jcsmum but it's time for me to move on ;)

I'll leave you a lone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I met up with The Sorcerer's (Menopause) Apprentice (mrslow) this morning to discuss 'Competitive Runner', P&D, VO2 Max and Lactic Threshold......He kindly printed me out a 10 week training schedule for the Cork Marathon

Sorcerer :eek:
    So we've roped another one in eh? On a serious note, where did this 10 week plan come from? Quickest one I know is 12 weeks. I wouldn't listen to much advice MrSlow gives you, he's improving alright; only 95% of what he says nowaday is wrong :pac:

So are you gonna join the magnificent 4 hr pacers or are you gonna do like Mr Slow*?

* Go out too fast and blow up :P

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorcerer :eek:
    So we've roped another one in eh? On a serious note, where did this 10 week plan come from? Quickest one I know is 12 weeks. I wouldn't listen to much advice MrSlow gives you, he's improving alright; only 95% of what he says nowaday is wrong :pac:

So are you gonna join the magnificent 4 hr pacers or are you gonna do like Mr Slow*?

Yeh...I think it was a 12 week one but the maths don't work out;) I am planning to run with/near the 4 hour pacers and if all is good with a few miles left I'll aim to eek out some extra pace....Need to do a conservative Marathon a I fupped up my first one!

Please note; To claralara I leave my finest banana....Sorry jcsmum but it's time for me to move on ;)

I'm devestated :rolleyes:

Am happy that you are taking the plunge again... and by that I mean doing the Cork marathon. :D

I am planning to run with/near the 4 hour pacers and if all is good with a few miles left I'll aim to eek out some extra pace.

Nice You'll be well able for it. I suggested to Mr Slow that he just go for a conservative sub 4 attempt but he seems to have developed a sense of bravado.

It looks like Myself and Aimman will be the 4hr pacers btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Big dirty Indian takeaway for Menopause the night before just so nobody is tempted to go behind him for the entire race :pac:

Nice You'll be well able for it. I suggested to Mr Slow that he just go for a conservative sub 4 attempt but he seems to have developed a sense of bravado.

It looks like Myself and Aimman will be the 4hr pacers btw.

:)

I wouldn't listen to much advice MrSlow gives you, he's improving alright; only 95% of what he says nowaday is wrong :pac:

I aspire to be the authority on all subjects someday, what's it like?

Who's a nasty bast5rd then?

I ran 4:15 in Dublin with no base and a very low mileage program, you're bitchin at me to go 75 in Mallow and slagging me for wanting a faster time in Cork, if you're going to insist on rabitting on, please be consistent.:P

mrslow wrote: »
    I ran 4:15 in Dublin with no base and a very low mileage program, you're bitchin at me to go 75 in Mallow and slagging me for wanting a faster time in Cork, if you're going to insist on rabitting on, please be consistent.:P

You're more than capable of going sub 75 in mallow based on your training times.
    Marathon is a different beast, you haven't trained properly for Cork.

It would be much wiser to be conservative and finish strong. Once you have a Positive memory of running a marathon (i.e. finishing feeling like you have lots left in the tank) it's a great base (mental more than physical) for attacking a future marathon and going for a faster time.

Look at Brianderunner, he blew up early in 2 or 3 faster marathon attempts in a row so decided to take a conservative approach in Dublin last year, aiming for 3.30. He finished like a train in 3.26 (faster than his previous attempts to run 3.10-3.20) by pushing on in the last 5 miles, and used this as a base to do 3:12 in barcelona (would have gone sub 3;10 but for cramp). He is now targetting sub 3.

Basically once you get to a place in your head that the distance is not a problem, then you can go for a really fast marathon. I'd say if you go out for a 4 hour marathon and feel good at 20 miles you can push on and hit about 3:55. If you go out for a 3:45-3:50 marathon you might finish in the same time but slowing up. The first option is a much more positive feeeling to come away from a marathon with.

You're more than capable of going sub 75 in mallow based on your training times.
    Marathon is a different beast, you haven't trained properly for Cork.

It would be much wiser to be conservative and finish strong. Once you have a Positive memory of running a marathon (i.e. finishing feeling like you have lots left in the tank) it's a great base (mental more than physical) for attacking a future marathon and going for a faster time.

Look at Brianderunner, he blew up early in 2 or 3 faster marathon attempts in a row so decided to take a conservative approach in Dublin last year, aiming for 3.30. He finished like a train in 3.26 (faster than his previous attempts to run 3.10-3.20) by pushing on in the last 5 miles, and used this as a base to do 3:12 in barcelona (would have gone sub 3;10 but for cramp). He is now targetting sub 3.

Basically once you get to a place in your head that the distance is not a problem, then you can go for a really fast marathon. I'd say if you go out for a 4 hour marathon and feel good at 20 miles you can push on and hit about 3:55. If you go out for a 3:45-3:50 marathon you might finish in the same time but slowing up. The first option is a much more positive feeeling to come away from a marathon with.

As much as it kills me to say, you speak some sense.

I suppose I'm looking at it like this, I could run 8:30 min miles for at least 15 at the moment and with 10 more weeks to train should be able to hold that or close enough for mustard for another 9, I shall ponder it some more and sure these decisions sometimes make themselves.

By the by I discovered yesterday that you're actually younger than I, so I'm going to find it difficult to take any notice of you going forward. :pac::P

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm devestated :rolleyes:

Totally understandable.....However, maybe the two of you can......share it!:pac:

• Advertisement

Glad to see you were all chatting in my absence :pac: The plan for today was to do 8 miles, 2 warm-up - 4 at lactate threshold - 2 warm down.....

There were a couple of things at play here...1. I've no real idea what my lactate pace is or should be and 2. I hadn't eaten anything since 8.30 this morning so was starving and decided it would be sensible to curtail the plan somewhat so I dispensed with the warm down..

I did loops of Marlay so the odd laps were uphill hence the slower times (and extra effort to get there!!)

Mile 1 - Warm-up @ 8:51 / Mile 2 - Warm-up @ 8:42

Mile 3 @ 8:11, Mile 4 @ 7.23, Mile 5 @7.57, Mile 6 @ 7:20

Warm-down was a greedily consumed fillet steak sandwich....mmmmmmm:D

Advertisement