Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

So..... Digger is still alive and interested in all your progress ;) I've been ticking over the mileage with a view to starting DCM training this week, or is it next week :confused: Anyway, was in Portlaoise yesterday with some of the boardsies for my first official pacing job, was a good experience and along with Spag Bol we herded the Sub 2 hour people over the line in timely fashion :)

Officially my DCM 12 week 55 MPW begins this coming Monday. In order to prepare myself in advance I had the 13.1 on Monday... A recovery on Wednesday which was 3 miles at 9:45 and the last one at 6 mins!! Last night I went out and did 6.74 at just over 9 min pace. Planning 2 x 4 miles over the weekend which should have me primed for 12 tough weeks training

So DCM training started with a bang last night, have a 5k race on Sunday so got the LSR out of the way.... 13 miles with the first 5 at 9.42 pace and the last 8 at 8.40 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck with the training. Am sure we'll catch up in the park in the coming weeks.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Good luck with the training. Am sure we'll catch up in the park in the coming weeks.

I'm sure we will, thanks!

• Advertisement

Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race Report

Right, I could start off by moaning again about more Monster Munchies trotting in Wave 1 and getting in the way but I won't....

1. I ran a negative split, I was at about 7:45 pace at the 5 mile mark.
    2. I finished at 7.31 pace
    3. My finishing time was 75:32
    4. It was a new PB by 2 minutes
    5. It was sunny
    6. Liverpool beat Arsenal
    7. I was happy

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just thought I'd write in your log.

Just thought I'd write in your log.

Jeez.... Don't believe everything you read ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race Report

Right, I could start off by moaning again about more Monster Munchies trotting in Wave 1 and getting in the way but I won't....

1. I ran a negative split, I was at about 7:45 pace at the 5 mile mark.
    2. I finished at 7.31 pace
    3. My finishing time was 75:32
    4. It was a new PB by 2 minutes
    5. It was sunny
    6. Liverpool beat Arsenal
    7. I was happy

:D

You were very antisocial on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Digs, great going on Saturday with the PB.

Btw, you forgot no.8 - as you mentioned to me that you ran smart. That is something that is quite important to remember.

Sorry about running away from you before the line, i saw you take Mr S in the 5 miler and wasn't going to be a 'victim' of you in a sprint finish:D. I didn't even know it was you besides me until Shaz started shouting at you.

I think young Meno is referring to the fact you didn't buy him a pint. He was sick so you did the right thing by not going to Ryans;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

chinguetti wrote: »

Btw, you forgot no.8 - as you mentioned to me that you ran smart. That is something that is quite important to remember.

Sorry about running away from you before the line, i saw you take Mr S in the 5 miler and wasn't going to be a 'victim' of you in a sprint finish:D. I didn't even know it was you besides me until Shaz started shouting at you.

I think young Meno is referring to the fact you didn't buy him a pint. He was sick so you did the right thing by not going to Ryans;)

Digger second time in a row I've done this to you so don't take offence if I don't shout encouragement at you for the Half....:rolleyes:. Well done on a good run! Spags, you're welcome :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    You were very antisocial on Saturday.

I had to go and try on wedding suits.... ;)

chinguetti wrote: »

Cheers Spagbol... It was ridiculous how easy you ran up to me in the finishing straight, I thought you'd just jumped over the fence to run with me for the last 200 metres! I wasn't going to sprint to the line as I didn't want to break 75 minutes until the next 10 miler (Mallow next year anyone ;))

shazkea wrote: »
    Digger second time in a row I've done this to you so don't take offence if I don't shout encouragement at you for the Half....:rolleyes:. Well done on a good run! Spags, you're welcome :)

Thanks Shaz but it wouldn't be the same without your now customary shouts ;)

Jeez.... Don't believe everything you read ;)

Gee show some appreciation why don't you. This is why I'm never nice. Just gets thrown back at ya. :p

After the 10 mile race on Saturday the legs felt a bit knackered. Did a 3 mile recovery on Sunday, rested Monday, did 13.5 on Tuesday and 3 last night in my new Lunarglides courtesy of one of claralara's rich relations ;) I'm pacing 2 hours in the Oleygate half in Wexford on Sunday.... Not sure if any Boardsies are involved other than Village Runner and CL who seems to scab all my free entries these days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Not sure if any Boardsies are involved other than Village Runner and CL who seems to scab all my free entries these days ;)
    Hi Digger2d2,

I'm going to be giving the Oylegate half a go this Sunday.

I will be sure to drop over and say hi.

Dev

dev123 wrote: »
    Hi Digger2d2,

I'm going to be giving the Oylegate half a go this Sunday.

I will be sure to drop over and say hi.

Dev

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Hey Digger,

Thanks again for the pacing yesterday down in Wexford. There was a good group of us and the miles ticked along nicely.

While a PB wasn't the intention of the race I'll gladly take it.

Might see you in Dublin in October
    Dev

dev123 wrote: »
    Hey Digger,

Thanks again for the pacing yesterday down in Wexford. There was a good group of us and the miles ticked along nicely.

While a PB wasn't the intention of the race I'll gladly take it.

Might see you in Dublin in October
    Dev

Very enjoyable Dev, well done on the PB!

• Advertisement

Saturday evening I went out to do an easy 4 miles to keep the mileage ticking over, this was a very strange run, I was only doing 9.45 pace or so but perspired quite heavily, by the time I got back I actually felt a bit shaky and absolutely ravenous!! I was quickly fed with a purple snack ;) a few peanuts and yoghurt with muesli and recovered pretty quickly, don't know what it was :confused:

As a result of this I was a little concerned pacing the Oylgate Half the following morning - Happily all went very well, I paced a group, most of whom moved on with a mile or so to go and ran better times then they had in general anticipated. I went back and picked up an extra couple of stragglers and got them over the line in 1:59.....

I felt very strong during this run and reckon there was a PB in me if I'd been racing it.....A passer by actually asked me had in jumped in over the fence at halfway such was the ease at which I was running:)

Jaybus lads... It's getting close to the DCM now :eek:

Went out last night for a recovery run, did 5.05 at 8.57 pace... I actually felt very strong and hardly broke a sweat but my legs are a little tired this morning. I'm doing too much sitting down in the new job at the moment, not enough leg movement going on and then I'm hitting the roads immediately I get home.... Some stretching needed I think!

I have 10 to do tonight followed by 11 tomorrow.... Am likely to meet up with Meno and mrslow in the park on Sunday for the LSR... I've missed the group LSR's....

The new Lunarglides are not quite right for me, the toe box seems a good deal tighter than previous models... Planning on trying on another couple of pairs just in case mine are faulty. I might end up moving to Kinvara's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I might end up moving to Kinvara's!!

Cool and attractive people are wearing them! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mr Slow wrote: »
    All the cool and attractive people are wearing them! :cool:

I'm not wearing them, therefore not all the cool and attractive people are wearing them. :cool:

I might end up moving to Kinvara's!!
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Cool and attractive people are wearing them! :cool:

Everyone copies me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Everyone copies me. :rolleyes:

Do you wear them? :P

So, due to being completely knackered and a bit stressed out on Wednesday I dropped the 10 mile run. I was already dubious of the planned 10 on Wednesday, 11 on Thursday and 17 on Sunday as it was!! Went into the Park yesterday evening planning on 10 maybe but found this to be a very very hard run, my legs just didn't feel right at all.... Did about 5 miles at 9:30 pace and then 3 miles at about 8:15...

Two things struck me about this run, firstly, I was really hungry again so no matter what, I must consider my nutrition more carefully. This happened me last Saturday as well. Secondly, my legs feel wrecked, pretty much every run I go on at the moment, they feel, heavy, achy etc. Last night both knees were sore/swollen... Today they are just sore... Not good, might be time to get the gait analysis done again to see have there been any shifts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sounds like some good nutrition, stretching and recovery research, a gait analysis, returning your lunar glides (ungrateful so and so ;)) and a good spring clean will keep you occupied for the next 72 hours!!

claralara wrote: »
    Sounds like some good nutrition, stretching and recovery research, a gait analysis, returning your lunar glides (ungrateful so and so ;)) and a good spring clean will keep you occupied for the next 72 hours!!

I'm going out with your friends to McSorleys tonight..... ;)

• Advertisement

After being dragged out at some ungodly hour this morning (7.30 A.M.) I did 5 plus miles at maybe 9.45/mile pace ish... Didn't have my Garmin on (yes, I'm a free spirit ;)) and can't remember the exact detail as per my Garmin wearing early rising running partner :).......

The legs/knees felt better, although I treated them carefully. Having decided to dispense with the new Lunarglide 3's (they have a smaller toe box than before) I trun on my New Balance 760's...I've rarely run in these since I got them (I'm a sucker for a bargain) mainly because they have quite a chunky heel and despite being a mild pronator I have migrated to shoes with a smaller heel, thereby allowing a midfoot strike blah blah blah..... Yes, we all want to run barefooted in fields of poppies until we eventually find out that wasn't the right thing to do....:confused:

So, an early trip to Elverys this morning, where they were still vacuming and I had the run of the PB 180 section, led me to decide on a pair of Asics DS Trainers in red. Now I know all you Asics haters will be pooh pooh'ing this but the reviews of the 16's are great and there are an awful lot of Elite/Professional athletes wearing Asics despite all of the 'New Experts' giving out about them. Anyway, my size is on order so there....:P

Providing the legs feel good later, I'll pop into the Park tomorrow and hook up with Meno, Monsieur Slow, Pistol etc. and give it a lash....

Advertisement