Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Saturday morning, got up early to eat something, I felt absolutely awful and if I hadn't agreed to pace claralara I'd have gladly stayed in bed until the rugby.

I decided to try something a little different so stuck the Brooks ST Racers on, 5 miles was the longest run I'd done in them prior to Saturday.... We set off at a steady pace, weaving our way through yet more Monster Munchies and settled at around 9 min per mile pace.

All was good despite claralara being very very quiet (usually not a good sign;)) and the race was uneventful. We were at 8:57 pace until about the 8 mile mark which is when CL started to struggle. She had had a heavy cold (but not as heavy as mine) over the last couple of weeks and although I was aware of this I knew she still had a chance of a PB in her. Mile 10 and she started to fall back, with a number of choice words of encouragement I got her back on my shoulder and continued to cajole her although we'd slipped to 9:04 pace. In fairness to her (and despite her telling me to Fup Off etc.) she knuckled down and gave all she had to get back to 9:02 pace, up the final hill and into the straight and I knew we were close to that PB, I tried again to squeeze every last bit out of her in those last 400 metres and the watch read 9:01 as we crossed the line. That should have given her a PB by 40 seconds but it looks like the course was long by .1...........??:confused: and the times ended up as 1:59:08/09

I found the race far easier than I'd thought based on how I felt although wearing the ST Racers has left me with sore quads....Glad I didn't wear them for a 1:39 attempt:eek:

A public thanks! For what I'm not sure... a very tough lesson!

But if you ever make me feel like that again, I will kill you!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    A public thanks! For what I'm not sure... a very tough lesson!

But if you ever make me feel like that again, I will kill you!! :D

Not so public a "thanks" as nobody reads my log anymore :D but appreciated nonetheless;)

Mixture of recovery and tempo this evening. Set off at 9.45 pace for about 4.5 - 5 miles and then gradually wound it up to finish with 8.3 miles at 9.14 pace.... The run felt pretty easy and I finished with a fair bit in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mixture of recovery and tempo this evening. Set off at 9.45 pace for about 4.5 - 5 miles and then gradually wound it up to finish with 8.3 miles at 9.14 pace.... The run felt pretty easy and I finished with a fair bit in hand!

That was neither tempo nor recovery :P:pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That was neither tempo nor recovery :P:pac:

You boys need to stop reading P&D on the jax!!

• Advertisement

Saturday - 13.24
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - 8.something
    Tuesday - 14.1

Last nights run was strange, I felt very very strong for the first half, ok for the second last quarter and sh1te for the last quarter. The fact that I hadn't eaten since 9 A.M. I'm sure didn't help, I was a bit dizzy and weak but kept going and was okay after I'd eaten and hydrated. Took a rest tonight and am refuelling with Iron ;)

Took a rest tonight and am refuelling with Iron ;)

Make sure you get plenty of iron! (It counts as cross training too):D

Best of luck to you and de missus for Sunday!

Best of luck to you and de missus for Sunday!

Thanks Boss!

Saturday - 13.24
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - 8.something
    Tuesday - 14.1
    Wednesday - 5

Up early yesterday morning to go and run before a conference call....I did 5 miles at 9.12 pace. I'm not at all in love with running at the moment, pretty sure I felt the same way last time I was recovering from a heavy cold! Not sure what to do tonight, I'd like to do a long-ish run but the legs don't feel great and I have the 5k on Sunday:confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not at all in love with running at the moment, pretty sure I felt the same way last time I was recovering from a heavy cold! Not sure what to do tonight, I'd like to do a long-ish run but the legs don't feel great and I have the 5k on Sunday:confused:

HTFU!!! ;)

No run last night as I got a late shout to go play golf, 16,17 and 18 played in descending darkness..(I play better in the dark :confused:)......

Collected the race packs for Rathfarnham on the way home, I have No. 2 and CL has No. 3
    This is an indication of how I early I registered as opposed to our impending elite-ness ;)

I had really been looking forward to this race but now that my preparation has been far less than desired, my enthusiasm has been dulled somewhat. I plan on sleeping in between sports events and eating today and then employing the services of the foam roller and stick to see if I can breathe some life back into dead legs. I'll do a gentle 2 mile spin later and see how I get on!

The plan for tomorrow is a 1 mile warm-up (plus some higer paced 3/4 pace before the start) Then the race and later in the day 9/10 miles which will give me 40 miles for the week which I think is Okay at this stage for DCM. Regarding DCM, I feel I still need to get another two 20 milers in so that will be next week and the week after I guess.

No run last night as I got a late shout to go play golf, 16,17 and 18 played in descending darkness..(I play better in the dark :confused:)......

Collected the race packs for Rathfarnham on the way home, I have No. 2 and CL has No. 3
    This is an indication of how I early I registered as opposed to our impending elite-ness ;)

I had really been looking forward to this race but now that my preparation has been far less than desired, my enthusiasm has been dulled somewhat. I plan on sleeping in between sports events and eating today and then employing the services of the foam roller and stick to see if I can breathe some life back into dead legs. I'll do a gentle 2 mile spin later and see how I get on!

The plan for tomorrow is a 1 mile warm-up (plus some higer paced 3/4 pace before the start) Then the race and later in the day 9/10 miles which will give me 40 miles for the week which I think is Okay at this stage for DCM. Regarding DCM, I feel I still need to get another two 20 milers in so that will be next week and the week after I guess.

I'm looking forward to the race report and a sub 20!!! Good luck

I'm looking forward to the race report and a sub 20!!! Good luck

If I could break 20 minutes after the month I've had then I'll target sub 18 for next year! :pac::P

I'll target sub 18 for next year! :pac::P

For the 5k or for a date?:D

4.4 miles done today at 8.58 pace, looking forward to the 5k tomorrow and will tell you afterwards what kind of shape I'm in!

Oh no, claralara has just discovered a blood blister on the sole of her foot.... Not sure if she'll be able to run in the morning as said foot might fall off:eek:

Beautiful start to the morning if a little windy.... Did a good strong warm up on the road outside my apartment before jogging slowly to the start. I really had no high expectations for this race as I had 1. Done no faster work, 2. Had a bad dose of man flu recently and missed about 10 days running and 3. Have had an awful lot on recently with stuff away from running[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Niall/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG].... Anyway, despite that, my intentions were to give sub 20 as good a go as I could.

Gun went off and as usual it's impossible not to whoor off with the downhill bit, I consolidated after a few hundred metres and turned the corner at the bridge at 6.15 pace which was as planned to give me a few seconds to lose going up the hill. As soon as I got to the top of the hill I was at 6.22 which was fine but I must have been fooled by the slowing pace of those around me as I'd dropped to 6.28 by the time I turned at Cripps.

The long drag up toward Bushy to the left and Terenure College to the right was tough as I was breathing way harder than I've been used to but tried very hard not to slip too much. Unfortunately I was 6.32/6.33 pace at this stage and I knew it was game over for Sub 20 but turning the corner and heading down the last 1k or so I just gave it everything I had, (pist off at myself for not doing some 5k specific training)..... I was concentrating on trying to keep my form as opposed to looking like Paula Radcliffe and crossed the line at 6.29 pace and a Garmin time of 20:08...

Feelings immediately after the race.... ''For jaybus sake, surely I could have found another 9 seconds over the last 3.1 miles''

Feelings 5 minutes after the race.... ''For jaybus sake, I just knocked a minute and 2 seconds off my PB''

Feelings after I'd had two Kearns sausages, two streaky rashers and an egg..... ''For jaybus sake, I can break 19 minutes with some structured training, man that fry was gorgeous''

So, overall, a gorgeous morning, a well organised race, a time I should be very happy with and despite the recent disruptions going on in the life of Dig Dig I am going forward! [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Niall/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

So yesterday, post the 5k race and after breakfast was digested, I went into the park and did another 8 miles just to keep the mileage ticking over. Legs feel a bit wrecked today but that was over 40 miles for the week which is fine!

Recovery tonight, 4.2 miles at 9.21 pace, legs feel ok now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah well done on the 5k. Great time.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah well done on the 5k. Great time.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good going there on the 5k. Would have been a classic case of Digger does Mr slow up the home straight if he'd been running :p

Sub 19 aint easy but its a nice goal to shoot for, with your speed you have a chance.

Good going there on the 5k. Would have been a classic case of Digger does Mr slow up the home straight if he'd been running :p

Sub 19 aint easy but its a nice goal to shoot for, with your speed you have a chance.

Thanks Brian, I've no doubt mr slow would have been sub 20 at the weekend had he been running! I just reckon it would be interesting to see just how fast I can go over 5k with a little bit of specific training!

**edit - why is there an angry face at the top of this, has my ex been logging in? **

Thought I put this up already :confused: Last night I did 5 miles at 7:21 pace, it was pretty warm!

Thanks Brian, I've no doubt mr slow would have been sub 20 at the weekend had he been running! I just reckon it would be interesting to see just how fast I can go over 5k with a little bit of specific training!

Thanks for the vote of confidence dude, at least someone has a bit of faith! ;)

Did 10 miles last night at 9.43 pace, that's 5 or 6 days running in a row so taking a break tonight and going to enjoy some of the black stuff!:)

going to enjoy some of the black stuff!:)

Snuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice running Digs and you didn't even need me to set-up a sprint finish/smackdown for you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Nice running Digs and you didn't even need me to set-up a sprint finish/smackdown for you :rolleyes:

I'd have found those other 8 seconds in the last 200 metres if you'd been there Shaz ;)

Advertisement