Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

bozinga wrote: »
    same time as me best of luck:)

See you at the finish line so....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Bozinga, If you believe that's his target, I have some marshland to sell you for development!;);)

Went in to the park yesterday with the usual group plus some new faces, shouldn't have done so as I was far from prepared, had spent Friday afternoon/evening filling a skip and Friday night out drinking with my Brother and his fella....

CL told me to get up and eat on the Saturday morning as I'd hardly eaten on the Friday, I remained in the cot and despite some good advice to stay in bed and do my LSR on the Sunday, I thought, ''I'm not listening to a woman (girl)''..... So up I got. Not the smartest of ideas as I craved food before we left the papal car park - 3 miles into the run and I let sense prevail and headed off back to the car park and zipped off to McD's for brekkie.... 5 @ 8:45

Today - Another day of clearing out my Mum's house, lungs full of dust and probably ecoli and ebola :eek: Weather was absolutely awful but went out and did 10.1 @ 9.10

28 miles in total this week, body tired from lifting beds, couches etc. legs wrecked from breaking up furniture with Karate kicks but looking forward to DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bozinga

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Bozinga, If you believe that's his target, I have some marshland to sell you for development!;);)

ah i see - he much faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »
    CL told me to get up and eat on the Saturday morning as I'd hardly eaten on the Friday, I remained in the cot and despite some good advice to stay in bed and do my LSR on the Sunday, I thought, ''I'm not listening to a woman (girl)''..... So up I got. Not the smartest of ideas as I craved food before we left the papal car park - 3 miles into the run and I let sense prevail and headed off back to the car park and zipped off to McD's for brekkie.... 5 @ 8:45
    QUOTE]

You're lucky that I'm not a smarta*s ''I told you so'' type of person! :p

• Advertisement

bozinga wrote: »
    ah i see - he much faster

He's a sandbagger! :pac:

claralara wrote: »

You're lucky that I'm not a smarta*s ''I told you so'' type of person! :p

Yes, it is indeed me who is lucky ;)

3 miles tonight at CL's new PMP of 6:45/min/miles..... Eh..., that was 10.30/min/miles :D It's funny to see so many runners out tonight running at such a slow pace. Thanks to the dark and the desperate condition of our paths I almost sprained an ankle, but, I think all is okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It's funny to see so many runners out tonight running at such a slow pace
    Yea, your right - it was like we were extra's on a movie about running out there today or something with literally hundreds of people out up and down the canal in town, mostly running really slowly...

Yea, your right - it was like we were extra's on a movie about running out there today or something with literally hundreds of people out up and down the canal in town, mostly running really slowly...

They're all the people who decided 2 weeks ago to run the marathon. 'They'll probably win the f'n thing'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

They're all the people who decided 2 weeks ago to run the marathon. 'They'll probably win the f'n thing'

Not if their skin was white, lets be honest

I have high hopes! :o

I have high hopes! :o

Down to the Tanning Cove with you to darken up..... You could do a bit of grabbin' whilst you're there ;)

Down to the Tanning Cove with you to darken up..... You could do a bit of grabbin' whilst you're there ;)

Don't think orange is the colour he was referring too! :pac:

However, roll on the 'grabbin' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

3 miles tonight at CL's new PMP of 6:45/min/miles..... Eh..., that was 10.30/min/miles :D It's funny to see so many runners out tonight running at such a slow pace. Thanks to the dark and the desperate condition of our paths I almost sprained an ankle, but, I think all is okay!

Now thats my kind of distance and pace - give me a shout for the 2miler :)

showit wrote: »
    Now thats my kind of distance and pace - give me a shout for the 2miler :)

Ha ha shadow, nice one - Here, I was on the Cromwellsfort Rd the other night and nearly tripped over some of that weight you've lost ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Goodluck to Digger2d2 Claralara & Mrslow on Monday

I will be cheerng ye on (weather Permitting ! ) on Kimmage road west -

I see its live on the telly too, hope they do it like the bbc for the london marathon - saying that its rte !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can confirm, that digger picked up a 3:30 pace band from the Expo.

Mr slow and Ray, watch your backs! :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can confirm, that digger picked up a 3:30 pace band from the Expo.

Mr slow and Ray, watch your backs! :D

Ha ha..... You didn't mention that I picked up a 3:45 band too!! The 3:30 is so I can get my head around what I'll need to do in Berlin!

3:42 - Very happy with that, new PB - Can definitely break 3.30, just need to work on the calfs as I had cramping issues again in the last 7/8 miles..... sore today, didn't sleep well as the room was bright with CL still smiling in her sleep following her outstanding 3:53 ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done Digger...now the question is where are you going to be targeting the 3:30??
    I'm assuming the plan will be to try and stick with CL all the way around to the next PB!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats Digger, fair play to you :)

racheljev wrote: »
    Congrats Digger, fair play to you :)

Thanks Rach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Digger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Digs, as a plodder I'm not sure I should be posting in an elite's log such as yours but I'll break with protocol and chance it anyway :p

Well done on a cracking run and congrats on the shiny new PB and medal :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Digs, as a plodder I'm not sure I should be posting in an elite's log such as yours but I'll break with protocol and chance it anyway :p

Well done on a cracking run and congrats on the shiny new PB and medal :D

Ha ha, thanks Shaz:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again! Inspirational race report too ;) Fight ya for a 3.30 in Berlin?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That would be the chicking of a lifetime :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Digger,
    Yours is definitely the report of DCM :pac:

• Advertisement

Following the cries of derision from the followers, behold the proper race report...... ;)

Got the posh Luas in as far as St. Stephen’s Green and the walk toward the bag drop was perfect to wake the legs up. Last October I did a particularly vigorous warm-up which in hindsight wasn’t a great idea so this time around I wasn’t making the same mistake. My 12 week plan had a couple of major interruptions and as a result I really had no idea what shape I was in. The record indicated that every race I took part in during the Summer (other than if I was pacing) was a PB so I guess I was confident enough to be able to duck under 3:45. The way the waves filtered onto Fitzwilliam Sq was different than last year so myself and CL found ourselves some 200 metres behind the 4 hour balloons. I decided to take it easy whilst weaving my way through the crowds along Dawson St and on up O’Connell St, roughly 9:15 pace but no panic at all. Caught up with the 4 hour pacers on Berkely St only to see CL yapping away to Oisin having hoored off with her first mile at 8 min pace! Said my goodbyes and wound the pace up, felt very good through the Park and on up through Inchicore and Dolphins Barn. I had the 3:45 pacers well in sight but took my time and eventually joined them on the Crumlin Rd, soon after I pushed on from them as we headed across the halfway line and on toward Walkinstown Roundabout.

It was along this stretch last year that I started to fall apart physically and this was in the back of my mind despite feeling very comfortable. Turning at Terenure College I was glad to see CL’s friends waiting to cheer her on (I knew this would mean a lot to her) At this point (15.5 miles) I was at about 8:24 average pace and started to consider 7:59 and a sub 3.30 and although I hadn’t trained at all for this , I thought it was worth seeing what I had within me. I gradually upped my pace and was comfortably passing a lot of people in Terenure, Rathgar, and Orwell Rd. – By Milltown my average had quickened to 8.12, the plan at this stage was to consolidate until Foster Ave. and then kick on again and watch those seconds drop…….. Pop… right calf spasm, pop….left calf spasm, I ran up through Clonskeagh trying all sorts of different ways to alleviate the calfs, mentally all of last year’s demons returned but I forced myself to try keep some pace up. On the hill at Roebuck Rd now and I still passed people, despite the spasms, turning onto Foster Ave. I absolutely knew I had to cop on and focus on what I needed to do to get Sub 3:45, UCD flyover now and bang, both calfs went, a quick 10 second stretch and on I went again…. Nutley Lane and I passed Aiman, Merrion Rd and more cramps and another 2 x 10 second stretch outs, British Embassy and I heard jackyback’s shouts and the 3:45 balloons passed by, this was a low point for sure as I cramped again at the RDS and had another 10 second stretch. I kicked myself in the Bishop Brennan and started to pass a few people along Shelbourne Rd. I was at 8:26 average at this stage so knew the sub 3:45 was still there as long as I didn’t cramp badly again. Turning onto Pearse St I actually zoned everything else out other than those purple balloons, amazed at how mentally strong this made me feel I finally passed them at College Green, I’d found a few more seconds and was back at 8:23 average pace, up Nassau St and continued on up to finish in 3:42:50 and a new PB.

I was extremely happy with my time and encouraged by how I managed the cramping. Looking back at my race I’m aware at how strong I felt, to the extent that without the cramps I would have been close to that sub 3:30, seriously, I really did feel that good.

So, a few days on, my legs are still wrecked (tender calfs and quads) and I’ve allowed myself a few days off, may try a short recovery later (made the mistake of running 30 miles the week following Cork). I bought a pair of ‘Race and Recovery Compressport’ calf sleeves yesterday in B2R so will see how they feel. Going forward I will consider my nutrition more carefully, do more threshold work and do a 14 week plan at least to give me some wiggle room for my next Marathon (April maybe) where I will target sub 3:35 (providing that still qualifies an old man for Boston at that point) and then sub 3.30 in Berlin in September. My intention at this stage is to pace 2hr and 4hr in next year’s Half and DCM respectively if they’ll have me.

Advertisement