Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tldr:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

about time...and he even made the font bigger for old fogies like himself ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yours reads quite like mine. My pace had quikened without me trying when my calves went, around Clonskeagh. I'm thinking Rotterdam in April for a BQ, we'll both be going for 3:35, whatdya say will we run it all holding hands and finish in a blaze of glory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yours reads quite like mine. My pace had quikened without me trying when my calves went, around Clonskeagh. I'm thinking Rotterdam in April for a BQ, we'll both be going for 3:35, whatdya say will we run it all holding hands and finish in a blaze of glory?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a happy ending alright ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done dig, great result. Shows great strength to get a time like that with the pain your calves were giving. Imagine what you could do if it didnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Is it average pace you have on your watch all the time ?? I find it useful as a tool not to gauge pace.
    If you wated sub 3.30 from 15.5 miles it would mean you had to run 75 min for 10 miles. If you are capable of that after 15 miles in a marathon you should have been aiming faster.

Is it average pace you have on your watch all the time ?? I find it useful as a tool not to gauge pace.
    If you wated sub 3.30 from 15.5 miles it would mean you had to run 75 min for 10 miles. If you are capable of that after 15 miles in a marathon you should have been aiming faster.

Yep, I almost always use average pace... Hadn't at all intended to go for 3:30, I just felt it was worth going for with how strong I felt, that said, obviously the lower legs weren't strong enough... Yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The calf guards will make a big difference, They did for me at least. Look into doing some calf raises and using electrolyte tablets in the future.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done dig, great result. Shows great strength to get a time like that with the pain your calves were giving. Imagine what you could do if it didnt happen.

Maybe next time I should swallow those gels instead of spitting them out :D

So, I'm soon to dip my toe into the heady pool of an LSR on Saturday, LSR on Sunday and group 30 mile runs from Howth to Greystones:D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    tldr:p

OMFG...I don't know what that means....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    So, I'm soon to dip my toe into the heady pool of an LSR on Saturday, LSR on Sunday and group 30 mile runs from Howth to Greystones:D

I thought you had more sense.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

OMFG...I don't know what that means....:confused:

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is either so is this the help desk?

Mr Slow wrote: »

I wanted to do Conn last year but the entries were closed and I can't think of a better location to tackle my first Ultra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This post is for you Mr Slow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    This post is for you Mr Slow ;)
    This does not mean that the quality session is the be all and end all but its a part of an overall puzzle and as such easy runs are just as important and not to be ignored completely if you are looking for optimum benefit

Glad to see you're coming around to my way of thinking!

Glad to see you're coming around to my way of thinking!

If you are going to selectively quote that post, then so will I. Note that my quote is slightly longer ;)
    ecoli wrote: »
    I am gonna let you in on the greatest training secret in running. It is the most important factor and is the key to the success of every runner throughout the years......... Consistency.

A persons aerobic capacity is something that takes years and years to develop fully (and often people dont ever get to a point where they fully develop it) Simply put putting in the miles week in week out will yield massive benefits from anything from 1500m to marathon and further.

The training on those days will see you yield benefit but the aim is always safe progression of training. As you will get fitter your "easy run" pace will naturally come down and you will get quicker without having to force the pace. So if you are doing 30 min runs 3 times a week and covering 3 miles in each run as you get fitter you will start to cover more ground (for example 3.5 miles in 30 min and then on to 4 miles)

Now boys, behave! Smokin Joe has passed away and I'd hate to see Ali v Frazier's ''Thrilla in Manila'' being replaced by Fagan v The Artful Dodger's ''Discord on Boards'' :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Ultra Marathon - now im officially worried about you -

showit wrote: »
    Ultra Marathon - now im officially worried about you -

Don't worry man....Just gonna churn out the junk miles and win the Fantasy Football League;)

• Advertisement

Last week was a case of nursing myself back to human from ape but I did manage to get two runs in of just over 3 miles each.

The plan now is to continue a proper recovery plan plus try and incorporate a few speed sessions to have me ready for the Jingle Bells 5k (is that a real run or a Monster Munchie fest?) Where I will break 20 minutes if I'm in shape....

Tonight, 5.02 miles at 9:04 pace.... It felt very easy but my hamstrings are still a little questionable.

The plan now is to continue a proper recovery plan plus try and incorporate a few speed sessions to have me ready for the Jingle Bells 5k (is that a real run or a Monster Munchie fest?) Where I will break 20 minutes if I'm in shape....

You'll need to make sure you are positioned correctly at the start. It's a real run, but very popular and starts on narrow roads.

You'll need to make sure you are positioned correctly at the start. It's a real run, but very popular and starts on narrow roads.

It really depends on what the course is this year though. I notice they haven't published the course this year, I guess the roadworks are affecting the normal course (which is very fast). Last years course was not fast, i suspect this years course might involve running up the Kyber, in which case it is not PB potential.

Good point. And Upper Glen Road is the main traffic route at the moment, isn't it?

(Last year's course was fine, net downhill by about the same as the normal route, but the ground was a bit slippy)

(Last year's course was fine, net downhill by about the same as the normal route, but the ground was a bit slippy)

Didn't it use the Chesterfield Av? I thought it also involved running up the hill at the hospital?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Didn't it use the Chesterfield Av? I thought it also involved running up the hill at the hospital?

Hmmm, can't find my Garmin record...
    Last year started on Acres Road, up Chesterfield, down Ordnance Survey (or possibly Furze?), stayed on Upper Glen Road, and finished on that section of path that links Upper Glen and Military Roads. Very slight uphill on Chesterfield, but downhill for the last mile.

Hmmm, can't find my Garmin record...
    Last year started on Acres Road, up Chesterfield, down Ordinance Survey (or possibly Furze?), stayed on Upper Glen Road, and finished on that section of path that links Upper Glen and Military Roads. Very slight uphill on Chesterfield, but downhill for the last mile.

If it used the chesterfield they probably won't be able to use that course this year, that's why I suspect the Kyber will come into play. I would love to do this but I'm not registering until I know what the course is, I'd love a bash at sub 19 but it would need to be a fast one. There's gonna be a flat 5k in Clonliffe Harriers a few weeks later....

If only we knew someone in Donore who could find out for us...

(That garmin thing is annoying. I've found the run - the date, time, pace and distance all match, but it's loading the wrong map :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Jingle Bells will probably be going down the Kyber and up Military and start on the cycle path on the 15 acres so somewhat like the summer 5k apart from the first 2 k.

If thats the course, its still fast enough for sub 19 and sub 20 i'ld say lads. If its the other way it maybe tougher but Le Cheile 5k has 2 hills and is still cracking fast course imo once you done go over 4.10 in the first k (sub 20) and 3.40 for sub 19.

• Advertisement

I don't mind the hills - and I'll be running this anyway - but starting on the cycle path would be seriously crowded. You'd really need to be in the right starting position.

Advertisement