Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Clonliffe 5K is chip timing? I've checked on the club website and the entry site and I can't see any reference to it - Also posted this question in the events forum.

I don't know, but I really wouldn't worry if it was or not. Rathfarnham had no chiptiming for years (this year was the first time) and it was never an issue.

You will get a very accurate finishing time regardless and just go with your watch for PB purposes.

True, would be good to see chip timing at €15/€20 prices for a 5k though!

Ultra training officially begins....

Monday - 8 Miles with 4 at Lactate Threshold

Did the first 2 miles at 9:15 ish, the next four at sub 7:15 and the last two again at around 9:15. So, the middle four should have been at closer to 8 minute pace but I just felt like a blow out and need to keep banging in some faster miles if I'm doing the Clonliffe 5k. The average pace over the 8 miles was 8:11.

Have to say that I'm not in love with my running at the moment. However, I'm hoping that changes now that I'm back into specific training - We shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Did the first 2 miles at 9:15 ish, the next four at sub 7:15 and the last two again at around 9:15. So, the middle four should have been at closer to 8 minute pace but I just felt like a blow out and need to keep banging in some faster miles if I'm doing the Clonliffe 5k. The average pace over the 8 miles was 8:11.

Have to say that I'm not in love with my running at the moment. However, I'm hoping that changes now that I'm back into specific training - We shall see!

You're spot on with your threshold pace for a steady state run there.

According to McMillan based on your 5k - Steady-State Runs 7:04 to 7:16 pace

Mr Slow wrote: »

You're spot on with your threshold pace for a steady state run there.

According to McMillan based on your 5k - Steady-State Runs 7:04 to 7:16 pace

P&D was telling me to do Half Marathon pace which is circa 8 minute miles!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's not your real HM pace surely?
    Also the P&D LT pace is something between 10 mile/HM pace. You already ran a 10 mile well under 8 min/mile pace nearly a year ago when you weren't fit.

You should really get a Heart Rate Monitor, it takes the guess work out of all these things. You just run at a general HR range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

2 points - its smells good baby :D

That's not your real HM pace surely?
    Also the P&D LT pace is something between 10 mile/HM pace. You already ran a 10 mile well under 8 min/mile pace nearly a year ago when you weren't fit.

You should really get a Heart Rate Monitor, it takes the guess work out of all these things. You just run at a general HR range.

Well, it was the last time I raced (as opposed to paced) a HM. I have a HRM, just haven't used it in ages, might stick it back on tonight!

showit wrote: »
    2 points - its smells good baby :D

I saw that, glad to have some competition tbh. It gets lonely being out in front all the time ;)

Well, it was the last time I raced (as opposed to paced) a HM. I have a HRM, just haven't used it in ages, might stick it back on tonight!

Best to use your recent times as per McMillan to calculate what your Hm pace should be until you actuall run one. Otherwise according to HRM it should be about 90% max (IIRC).

Best to use your recent times as per McMillan to calculate what your Hm pace should be until you actuall run one. Otherwise according to HRM it should be about 90% max (IIRC).

LINK ;)

Edit: 70 - 80% for Steady State

• Advertisement

If I'm using P&D, i prefer to stick to P&D values myself ;)
    For example the link you provide suggest my 'Anaerobic' zone starts at 156, but I know that i can hold about 168 for the duration of a half marathon and 170ish for 10 miles. I am not sure that 'Anaerobic' is the same as the LT zone P&D suggests and anyway the vaules of 80-90% are way too wide (I think p&D suggest 88-92% as indicitve of 10 mile- HM pace).

LINK ;)

Steady state here is what really means easy zone in most people's book. Again, what one trainer (McMillan) decibes as steady state means something completely different to this guy. This guy suggests steady state is 70-80% max which is easy/recovery pace for most. For example that zone starts at 142 bpm for me which is what I would be running 8:40/mile in.

Edit to say this would be a better HR zone alculator, which is more runner specific. Take 10 mile- HMP as being AT (Anaerobic threshold)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

LINK ;)

That link suggests I should have a max HR of 189bpm when in fact 174bpm is probably the highest it's gone all year. 15bpm is quite a large difference so I agree with Meno in that if one is to work off P&D's plans, then their heart range zones should be followed also.

Edit to say this would be a better HR zone alculator, which is more runner specific. Take 10 mile- HMP as being AT (Anaerobic threshold)

That is closer but still states Max HR is 185bpm for me so still 11bpm out.
    ...beginning to think maybe it's me that's out of sync:D!!

belcarra wrote: »
    That is closer but still states Max HR is 185bpm for me so still 11bpm out.
    ...beginning to think maybe it's me that's out of sync:D!!

You have to manually enter you own max HR otherwise it just estimates it with 220-age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

That link suggests I should have a max HR of 189bpm when in fact 174bpm is probably the highest it's gone all year. 15bpm is quite a large difference so I agree with Meno in that if one is to work off P&D's plans, then their heart range zones should be followed also.

Also 189 for me, yet I have a max of 200. Terrible link, when in doubt..trust meno :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Also 189 for me, yet I have a max of 200. Terrible link, when in doubt..trust meno :D

I don't know what you boys are looking at. It doesn't give me a max, i have to enter that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I don't know what you boys are looking at. It doesn't give me a max, i have to enter that myself.

Mr slows link to calculate MHR

scroll down furhter and you can manually enter it and see zones. Howver i think they are not about running- more for beginning fitness folk.

scroll down furhter and you can manually enter it and see zones. However i think they are not about running- more for beginning fitness folk.
    I think we're all saying the same thing, I.e. ya can't trust that link's info, but we're just coming from different angles.

Anyways, better let Digger have his log back!
    [/thread-hijack]

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads.... Good to see you had a nice chat in my absence;)

9 miles @ 8.30 average at a HR of 150 ( no idea wtf that means) ;)

J

First you need to find your max by wearing your hrm in the Clonliffe 5k next sunday ;)

Steady state here is what really means easy zone in most people's book. Again, what one trainer (McMillan) decibes as steady state means something completely different to this guy. This guy suggests steady state is 70-80% max which is easy/recovery pace for most. For example that zone starts at 142 bpm for me which is what I would be running 8:40/mile in.

I think we're all saying the same thing, I.e. ya can't trust that link's info, but we're just coming from different angles.

Anyways, better let Digger have his log back!
    [/thread-hijack]

It was the first bleedin link that popped up, apologies for not being an anorak. All hail 'The Leader' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Jaysus lads.... Good to see you had a nice chat in my absence;)

it means your fairly fit my good man

Saturday - 7 miles
    Sunday - 4 miles
    Monday - 11.6 miles

I haven't quite made up my mind about the Clonliffe 5k...

Whether to run sub 20 or go all out?

Whether to run sub 20 or go all out?

Funny eh....

Still 50/50 on whether I'll do it, have the offer of a 12 mile LSR the day before so have to give it more thought!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Funny eh....

Still 50/50 on whether I'll do it, have the offer of a 12 mile LSR the day before so have to give it more thought!

Feck the LSR. If the weather is favourable go for Clonliffe. Good conditions and you'll smash 20 on that course. If the weather is crap go for your LSR. Get that sub 20 monkey off your back before the end of the year.

Funny eh....

Get that sub 20 monkey off your back before the end of the year.

Meno said I should spanking that monkey but he may have been talking about something else! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Meno said I should spanking that monkey but he may have been talking about something else! ;)

There's some images your shouldn't be putting in peoples head at bedtime dude. :(

Advertisement