Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

3 miles tonight, first one at circa 9 mins ( was meant to do 5 and then remembered something I had to do) second one quicker and third much quicker again. I guess this was a tempo run by accident - ended up at a 7:37 average with the quickest bit at 5:54

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    3 miles tonight, first one at circa 9 mins ( was meant to do 5 and then remembered something I had to do) second one quicker and third much quicker again. I guess this was a tempo run by accident - ended up at a 7:37 average with the quickest bit at 5:54

Sounds more like a fartlek dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sounds more like a fartlek dude.

Sounds like a progression run to me, amateur :rolleyes:

Sounds like a progression run to me, amateur :rolleyes:

That's why I said 'sounds like' anorak! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like someone being chased by the gingerbread man :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »

Shartlek?

RayCun wrote: »

Shartlek?

Jaybus, i now have an image of running and sharting because of gingerbread overload :-)

Last night was 9.5 miles at about 8.30 pace, i ran into town to meet up with CL and we ran back out to Terenure, getting colder:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Last night was 9.5 miles at about 8.30 pace, i ran into town to meet up with CL and we ran back out to Terenure, getting colder:-)

you forgot to add - Holding Hands - Lovely, :)

Clonliffe entered....

Last chance of a sub 20 5k this year ;)

• Advertisement

Clonliffe entered....

Good luck chief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Clonliffe entered....

See you there. Hopefully the frost stays away.

If I can offer some advice? try running this one about 2 seconds faster than last time, that should do it! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

If I can offer some advice? try running this one about 2 seconds faster than last time, that should do it! ;) :pac:

I see you're not taking a rest from the sarcasm!!

The 20 minute barrier is broken :)

This morning in the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker 5k I ran 19:16 - Race report to follow when I get a chance. I'd like thank my coach, Dr Fagan, my Nutritionist The Artful Dodger and my supporter, a well wrapped up claralara. My Garmin measured about 100 metres short so it will interesting to see if others found that but in any event I could have run another hundred metres backwards on
    One leg and still broken 20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The 20 minute barrier is broken :)

This morning in the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker 5k I ran 19:16 - Race report to follow when I get a chance. I'd like thank my coach, Dr Fagan, my Nutritionist The Artful Dodger and my supporter, a well wrapped up claralara. My Garmin measured about 100 metres short so it will interesting to see if others found that but in any event I could have run another hundred metres backwards on
    One leg and still broken 20 :)

Well done digger, found the course a bit short myself too, not much though. My garmin measured 3.05m for the course.

Myself and my mate broke our targets by more than 30 seconds anyway so it would cover the difference I'd say.
    Probably about 20 seconds for a 20 minute pace, so you are well in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Excellent going boss, well done. Even if you're right on the distance, you're well inside 20 so there'll be no debate.

Good to see that you've a support team who are only thinking of your interests. Any chance you can hire them out for putting furniture together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff Digs, congrats on Sub 20 pb :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Race was short. Doesn't count.

:D

Well done A, there's life in the old dog yet! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, delighted for you. Nice end to the year!

Fantastic, a great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sorry i'm gonna have to agree. It happens to all of us at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Call me biased but I think it was a great run and a deserved pb. When courses measure long, you have to suck it up so why shouldn't the reverse apply? I would have gotten a pb in the Dublin half based on my average pace over 13.3 miles or something like that. But I didn't because it was a race and chip time rules. Begrudging someone a good time and a pb in circumstances outside their control is stupid. The race was what it was, forget about the garmin. I ran pretty much side by side with Meno on Saturday and we had differences in our garmin stats. It's not like people took shortcuts; everyone who ran, ran the same race. Sure, if it was Olympic qualifying stuff, it'd be a problem. But it was a good race organised by a good club in difficult conditions. Rant over.

It happened to me last year in the Cupid's Dash 10k and I was sick, Digger definitely would have still broken 20 if the course was correct it has to be said.

Digger definitely would have still broken 20 if the course was correct it has to be said.

That's the main thing. 44 seconds or 33 or 22 or even 11, he was well inside the 20 minute mark. Maybe the precise time is unusable, but it's definitely a sub-20.

claralara wrote: »
    Call me biased but I think it was a great run and a deserved pb. When courses measure long, you have to suck it up so why shouldn't the reverse apply? I would have gotten a pb in the Dublin half based on my average pace over 13.3 miles or something like that. But I didn't because it was a race and chip time rules. Begrudging someone a good time and a pb in circumstances outside their control is stupid. The race was what it was, forget about the garmin. I ran pretty much side by side with Meno on Saturday and we had differences in our garmin stats. It's not like people took shortcuts; everyone who ran, ran the same race. Sure, if it was Olympic qualifying stuff, it'd be a problem. But it was a good race organised by a good club in difficult conditions. Rant over.

Translation: Don't you be messin with my boo boo! :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play on the pb Digger, well deserved! Great way to end the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »

When the course measures long that's fair enough. Courses generally measure long on the garmin, that's just life unfortunately. I ran the blue line in Berlin and it still measured 26.45 on my garmin. But guess what? Someone ran a world record on that course that day so it can't have been all that long. Besides when someone runs a world record the IAAF have to go and remeasure that course to make sure the record is valid. If the course is 500m long the record stands, if the course is 1m short the record is annulled. Them's the rules.

Your point about about our garmins measuring different distances on saturday negates your own point tbh. If your garmin measures .12 miles more than mine over a 14 mile loop, how can you trust either Garmin to be 100% accurate in a race?
    Garmins can also sometimes measure a course short, for example if there is tree cover and the garmin loses signal. The most important thing is that the course was accurately measured beforehand and the race is run along that course. Unfortunately Clonliffe have already admitted this didn't happen on Sunday, the course was supposed to start with a few laps of the track but becuase it was frozen these laps were done on the infield leaving the course 100m short (their own admission- this probably means it was a little more off again).

Despite all this, we a re not trying to qualify for the olympics so I think Digger can deservedly claim a sub 20, it's not his fault the course was short. His average pace was below 6:25/mile needed to go under 20 minutes for a 5k. It's no different to claiming watch time in a race when there is no chip timing IMO.
    I suggest adding the additional time for the missing 100m and claiming that as a PB. 100m at 4 min/km (20 minute 5k pace) is an additional 24 seconds, so the PB should be around 19.40 I suggest.

Well done again.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of valid points made here. I'm interested in the general feeling on whether non-chipped races count as PB's in any event? Meno, the start of the race was to include about 300 metres on the track, that's the bit they had to do on the infield grass but i doubt that could lose 100m so there must have been an issue elsewhere too. Anyway, i was flying toward the end so I am happy with my achievement. Lap pace listed below.......

Mile 1 - 6:26
    Mile 2 - 6:34
    Mile 3 - 6:01
    And my pace for the last bit on the track was 5:31

Advertisement