Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm interested in the general feeling on whether non-chipped races count as PB's in any event?

Oh yeah, definitely. A non-chipped time will usually be slower than a chipped time, because you'll take a few seconds to cross the line (although it might mean you get a running start).
    A similar thing happened with the Irish Runner 5 last year. I knew my 38.xx time wasn't right but I also knew I'd run faster than in my previous 5 mile. It's annoying, but at least you know that you raced well, and you ran faster than ever before. I'm sure you'll want an 'official' sub 20, but you also know that you've run well under that pace and any psychological barrier has been smashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There are a lot of valid points made here. I'm interested in the general feeling on whether non-chipped races count as PB's in any event? Meno, the start of the race was to include about 300 metres on the track, that's the bit they had to do on the infield grass but i doubt that could lose 100m so there must have been an issue elsewhere too. Anyway, i was flying toward the end so I am happy with my achievement. Lap pace listed below.......

Mile 1 - 6:26
    Mile 2 - 6:34
    Mile 3 - 6:01
    And my pace for the last bit on the track was 5:31

With those splits, you can safely take a PB from the 5k. There is no way you went through 3 miles in 19 minutes (by my calculations based on your split above) and not make sub 20. I'd say you would have actually made about 19.35.

Oh and when there is no chip timing (There wasn't chip timing in Rathfarnham 5k until this year for example and I ran it 2 years without) I always go by watch time, based on when I crossed trhe start and finish lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

There are a lot of valid points made here. I'm interested in the general feeling on whether non-chipped races count as PB's in any event? Meno, the start of the race was to include about 300 metres on the track, that's the bit they had to do on the infield grass but i doubt that could lose 100m so there must have been an issue elsewhere too. Anyway, i was flying toward the end so I am happy with my achievement. Lap pace listed below.......

Mile 1 - 6:26
    Mile 2 - 6:34
    Mile 3 - 6:01
    And my pace for the last bit on the track was 5:31

I'd always go with gun time as my time when there is no chip timing or no start mat. Its the only official clocking. Your watch reading wouldn't qualify you for a marathon standard for example so why should it count as your own pb. You just gotta line up closer i guess (which presents its own problems for sure)

Digger, fair play on Sunday, it was a savage run, nothing you can do about the length. Apologies if i looked cold in my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Le Cheile in early May, fast course and usually 5 weeks after Connemara for the official sub 20. You just need a time now in reality.

I do watch time from the starting mat to the finishing mat in non-chipped races as i usually start near the second half of the pack and pass people out as i go. Mentally you know you're about a 19.40 on Sunday's effort so sub 19.30 should be the next aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Digger, fair play on Sunday, it was a savage run, nothing you can do about the length. Apologies if i looked cold in my previous post.

No worries Brian

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Le Cheile in early May, fast course and usually 5 weeks after Connemara for the official sub 20..

But...but..... I'll have no speed after Ultra training ;)

But...but..... I'll have no speed after Ultra training ;)

That's right, all those extra miles will blunt your speed. That's why all the world class runners only run 1 or 2 miles per week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's right, all those extra miles will blunt your speed. That's why all the world class runners only run 1 or 2 miles per week ;)

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And I was only winding you up. Didn't mean to start Brian off on an elitest rant again. :D

It took you over an hour to reply. You must be getting slow with all those extra miles you're doing (:D;):eek:).

Well i never called myself world class but if you want to call me world class, tear away Meno but its too kind of you. I don't want to be seen as been above my place in the world.

Digs, i fear that you'll be encouraged to prove me wrong but Le Cheile is a cracking 5 k and the best around in my mind. Also the spread of food is mighty.

• Advertisement

And I was only winding you up. Didn't mean to start Brian off on an elitest rant again. :D

In fairness I think Brian was just locked. :p

In fairness I think Brian was just locked. :p

Has a little birdie been talking now? :mad:

I don't think Medbh would like being addressed as a 'Little Birdy' :)

Nah, I just gathered from your tone. Besides it's no surprise that you'd be locked on a sunday evening. :pac:

Nah, I just gathered from your tone. Besides it's no surprise that you'd be locked on a sunday evening. :pac:

Munster at 12:45, man city vs arsenal at 4pm, only one way that was gonna go :D

Meno, the start of the race was to include about 300 metres on the track, that's the bit they had to do on the infield grass but i doubt that could lose 100m so there must have been an issue elsewhere too.

Have a look at the satellite view of santry stadium by running a lap around the grass instead of the track you easily cut out 100m.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - No run, just could not find time

Wednesday - 5 miles at average 7:28 pace. Last mile at 6:41 pace.

You're flying dude, great to see!

Mr Slow wrote: »

You're flying dude, great to see!

Thanks, it's my sole aim to prove that Ultra training makes you faster ;)

I thought that was Meno's role? :P

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »

I thought that was Meno's role? :P

He has a tenner on it with Brian ;)

5 miles tonight at 8:21 pace

Looking like I'll be doing the Goal Mile on Christmas morning on the track in Tallaght AC, anyone else planning on doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Looking like I'll be doing the Goal Mile on Christmas morning on the track in Tallaght AC, anyone else planning on doing it?

I was, actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

If only the Tallaght track wasn't in Tallaght...:rolleyes:

Don't think I'll be let :rolleyes:

Doing the run in Raheny or Phoenix Park. Tallaght is a long way away from me.

Sunday (Christmas Day) - Goal Mile Tallaght AC - Very windy conditions and a complete lack of experience with four circuits of the track made things very tricky. The track itself was excellent and despite having to overtake a few stray people, including Santa, it all went smoothly...... I crossed the line in 5:54 with plenty left in the tank, next time I'll push harder during the two middle laps and maybe warm-up a little better beforehand.

Monday - Official Ultra Training starts - 10 miles at 8:51 pace with CL, an unofficial 10 mile PB for her :-)

Tuesday - 1.33 mile recovery at 8:42 pace to collect the car from last night's dinner party (thanks Barry if you're reading this) . Might do a few miles later depending on how the day goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

What kind of shedule are you planing on doing for conn. Will be interesting to see all the different approaches.

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    What kind of shedule are you planing on doing for conn. Will be interesting to see all the different approaches.

You should be asking in claralara's thread, I think she's in charge :pac:

Advertisement