Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ah the fun, I've just noticed you're running the ultra on April Fool's Day:D, you have to laugh....:P

That's a bit mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    That's a bit mean.

Ah now you're not getting sensitive on me, are you? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Saturday - 18 Miles at 9:10 pace

Cold start to the morning in the park with some lingering frost and ice where standing water had been but I assured the large group that it would be 22 degrees in no time;)

Off we went down the Kyber and out of the park, we did the War Memorial loop and came back to the car park at 10 A.M. to pick up another few heads. I was feeling pretty strong at 11/12 until I had to stop and take off one of my runners to remove a couple of little pebbles in Farmleigh, I'm not sure whether it was the stop or the kneeling down but when I stood up again all I could think of was food! Back at the car park I got stuck into a load of pretzels and some Lucozade Sport and off we went again.

The legs felt pretty dead for the final couple of miles, at this stage it was just myself and CL, but we pushed a little to take the average time down from 9:16 to 9:10. A tough run in what turned out to be a perfect morning for an LSR. I'm now getting my head around doing 14 miles in 70 minutes time :eek:

Some observations thus far about Ultra training - During DCM training I spend week after week heading toward a 50 mile peak. Eventually I hit that but it's late enough in the programme and as soon as you hit that point you are on the final straight and heading toward taper and race day - With Ultra training my first week resulted in the highest weekly mileage I've ever done so it's a completely different mindset. Psychologically it requires a greater degree of toughness, a different level of committment. On Thursday and Friday I missed both breakfast and lunch. On Thursday evening I ran 12.12 miles on practically an empty stomach, not too bright. It's now time to back up the toughness and committment with some common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, great running.

Sunday - 14 Miles at 8:50 pace - Met up with CL, meno, Oisin, mac and a non boardsie at Clontarf and ran toward Howth for 7 miles and then turned and headed back. I was a little hesitant about this run following the 18 miles on Saturday but i felt quite strong.

Total for the week 55 Miles

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done, great running.

Thanks, all those lonely Firhouse wind tunnel miles are standing to me now ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »

Total for the week 55 Miles

It was 54 point something when I updated the notice board last night... I'm just saying.. ;)

Nothing like a healthy bit of competition eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

that's funny, I see claralara 5 and digger nothing. If it's not on the table it doesn't count :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff digs, keep up the high mileage :D

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 10.45 Miles at 9:12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Reading your log, if you keep going at this rate Digs, you'll be fine.

For the not ultra people, what are you going to do regarding food and fluid intake? Have you any plan in mind or have you starting trying things and see how it goes?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Reading your log, if you keep going at this rate Digs, you'll be fine.

For the not ultra people, what are you going to do regarding food and fluid intake? Have you any plan in mind or have you starting trying things and see how it goes?

Well, our great leader speaks highly of flat coke, tried it on Sunday and suffered no ill effects. I've eaten Chia seeds before but if you consume too many you can easily feel bloated so the jury is out on that. On the day itself I suspect it will be flat coke, pretzels and two singles of chips :-)

Monday - Rest
    Wednesday - 5 Miles at 8:52

Monday - Rest
    Wednesday - 5 Miles at 8:52
    Thursday - 10.02 Miles at 9:05

So, have been carrying a back niggle for the last few days and have run through it but decided today that 20 miles on my feet on Saturday followed by 10 on Sunday might not be smart... So, headed out this evening and ran 11 miles at 8:32 pace. The plan is to split the mileage up, i.e. 10/10/10..... ish ;)

Digs i'ld book a sports massage for the legs and back, they'ld be glad of it at this stage and would ease any aches before they get worse.

i'm guessing you won't be doing the 10 in the Park at 9 from the sounds of it

Digs i'ld book a sports massage for the legs and back, they'ld be glad of it at this stage and would ease any aches before they get worse.

i'm guessing you won't be doing the 10 in the Park at 9 from the sounds of it

Sorry Spagbol, only seeing this now and you have about 6 miles done already im guessing. The sports massage is probably a good idea "CL get the baby oil" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sorry Spagbol, only seeing this now and you have about 6 miles done already im guessing. The sports massage is probably a good idea "CL get the baby oil" ;)

SPORTS not EROTIC! :rolleyes:

6.2 miles done by 10 alright, no panic.

Too many jokes come to my mind on the second point so i'll let it pass:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    SPORTS not EROTIC! :rolleyes:

Medicinal.....;)

• Advertisement

6.2 miles done by 10 alright, no panic.

Too many jokes come to my mind on the second point so i'll let it pass:D

If only others took your advice ;)

If only others took your advice ;)

The wise ones like yourself do take my advice, the rest i've tried to guide in my own humble way but sure i'm only one man:p

A very frustrating weekend for me :mad: Headed out yesterday with 8 ish miles in mind but was worrying about my back - 50 yards into the run and I though oh oh! I did 3 miles and took the smart decision to stop....

I get back problems 2/3 times a year as a result of too much heavy lifting when I was in my late teens... Anyway, woke up this morning feeling no better so took the decision not to run at all :(

On a brighter note, me burd headed out today for her first run since Thursday morning's abandoned escapade, she visited the PT and all is fine. She was all full of doing 9:45 average but actually ran 13.1 miles at 7:55 average and during the run broke her PB's at 5k, 5 Mile, 10 Mile and half marathon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gotta get me some of those pills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Looks like you're holding her back Digger, she'll be pacing you next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On a brighter note, me burd headed out today for her first run since Thursday morning's abandoned escapade, she visited the PT and all is fine. She was all full of doing 9:45 average but actually ran 13.1 miles at 7:55 average and during the run broke her PB's at 5k, 5 Mile, 10 Mile and half marathon! :)

That beats your HM PB digger :P

If I were you I'd take your burd's example and go and see that PT ;)

What a catch!! :D
    RayCun wrote: »
    Gotta get me some of those pills :pac:

No pills - just miserable training runs and races, like those examples logged below - apparently feeling absolutely horrendous is good for you in the long run?!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74712116&postcount=1314

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74481783&postcount=1240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

You just got chicked mate, time to up the training:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    You just got chicked mate, time to up the training:D

Ha ha, at my age I take it as a compliment to get 'chicked' :D

• Advertisement

So, I awoke this morning next to the female version of Haile Gebre Selassie :rolleyes:...... She headed off to work with her DCM medal draped around her neck and a grin that was somewhere between "How amazing am I" and "Is my Garmin telling fu*ki*g lies".....

As the day wore on my back was bad :( work was tough :( I eventually arrived home and driven on by some stone age instinct of not being 'chicked' (why did we ever allow them out of the cave ;)) I did a few man stretches, slipped into some unattractive running attire and headed out.... The result was 10 miles at 8:24 pace - Really happy to get back out in the fresh air and also to get things back on track. Also realised that doing a total of 40 miles in a week where I had an 'injury' is probably still pretty good. Onwards and upwards.....:)

Advertisement