Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Monday - 10 Miles at 8:24 pace
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 10.1 Miles at 8:52 pace

Early run this morning where I seemed to be into the wind for about 75% of the way :( Legs were pretty dead and the back still isn't great but I may have seen some improvement thanks to healing hands. Feeling a bit wrecked at the moment so just knuckling down to make sure I cover the mileage and looking forward to feeling fresher and stronger which no doubt I will soon.

Other than that I've been experimenting with different footwear, the Saucony Mirage's are quite firm and over a longer distance I can really feel the support strip dig into my foot when I pronate. The Nike Pegasus 28's are a lot more forgiving/spongy so I've used them for a couple of LSR's and now I'm back in my old Lunarglide 2's just to see how they feel again.... I went away from the LG's for no real reason other than to try something else and they had actually been a very suitable shoe for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »

Other than that I've been experimenting with different footwear, the Saucony Mirage's are quite firm and over a longer distance I can really feel the support strip dig into my foot when I pronate. The Nike Pegasus 28's are a lot more forgiving/spongy so I've used them for a couple of LSR's and now I'm back in my old Lunarglide 2's just to see how they feel again.... I went away from the LG's for no real reason other than to try something else and they had actually been a very suitable shoe for me.

They are still selling loads of Lunarglide 2's in most of the bog standard stores (JJB, Lifestyles etc). You can usually pick them up really cheap €60 or less. I agree they are a great shoe, the 3's a crap. I have bought a pair of lunarflys from JJB which are great and feel really like the old Lunarglides.

menoscemo wrote: »
    They are still selling loads of Lunarglide 2's in most of the bog standard stores (JJB, Lifestyles etc). You can usually pick them up really cheap €60 or less. I agree they are a great shoe, the 3's a crap. I have bought a pair of lunarflys from JJB which are great and feel really like the old Lunarglides.

Yep, I think Vagga said he got some for €40 somewhere

Monday - 10 Miles at 8:24 pace
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 10.1 Miles at 8:52 pace
    Thursday - 20 Miles at 9:32 pace

Feeling frustrated at missing an LSR last weekend due to the sore back and no real improvement in it this week led me into doing a 20 mile run last night. I went from Terenure through town, out the Clontarf Road and on toward Sutton, hit the 10 mile point and re-traced my steps. It was a strange decision to take this on and a strange run too. Early on was fine and I was being quite disciplined with the pace, at around the 12 mile point I started to debate the merits of doing 24 miles. 2 miles later it was a battle not to stop, I just felt completely drained.... I took a gel and just kept going. I knew I'd felt this way before and battled through it, a mile or two later and all was okay. Legs are still feeling a bit wrecked but toward the end of the run I knew I could have tagged a few more on if needed.

So, four days, three runs and 40 miles done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It's tough to get out in the evenings and do a 20-mile lsr so fair play Digger!
    How did the back hold up? Was it getting sore towards the end??
    It was pretty cold last night out running as well so I imagine you had to stop at lights a few times though that run which would have made you even colder...a 20 miler last night is probably worth a 23 miler on a Sat morning with the gang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're on bag-holding duty Sunday, I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the run yesterday, not easy going, on your own and the weather wasn't kind either.
    At least it's done and dusted now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't you have back problems just before DCM? Maybe you should take the advice you gave to your boss and go to the physio...

Didn't you have back problems just before DCM? Maybe you should take the advice you gave to your boss and go to the physio...

Yep, I did, but a different problem to now. The pre DCM problem was the one that I suffer from a few times a year, spasm city :eek: This time around it's different, more of a bad ache across my very lower back and almost feels like a touch of sciatica.

belcarra wrote: »
    It's tough to get out in the evenings and do a 20-mile lsr so fair play Digger!
    How did the back hold up? Was it getting sore towards the end??
    It was pretty cold last night out running as well so I imagine you had to stop at lights a few times though that run which would have made you even colder...a 20 miler last night is probably worth a 23 miler on a Sat morning with the gang!

Nope, back felt ok..Legs just weren't as strong as usual.

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on the run yesterday, not easy going, on your own and the weather wasn't kind either.
    At least it's done and dusted now.

Yep, well that's until I have to do a 30 miler ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    You're on bag-holding duty Sunday, I take it?

Yep, time to give someone else her day in the sunshine ;)

5 miles at 8:36 pace, was meant to be recovery but I ran it at CL's current recovery pace ;) Wore the Asics DS Trainers .....

Today was all about the 7 mins my 'pupil' took off her PB in today's Raheny 5 mile road race..... :):)

This evening I ran 5 miles with Meno and CL and left them to another 5 whilst I went and made dinner.

5 runs this week, total of 50 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

left them to another 5 whilst I went and made dinner.

You're a domestic Goddess! Did you don the frilly apron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Today was all about the 7 mins my 'pupil' took off her PB in today's Raheny 5 mile road race..... :):)

This evening I ran 5 miles with Meno and CL and left them to another 5 whilst I went and made dinner.

Oi you! I am not your pupil, I am a self-taught master and no more!

You are my housewife. Thanks for dinner, it was delicious and much appreciated :)

claralara wrote: »
    You are my housewife. Now get back in the kitchen and keep your opinions to yourself

FYP ;)

50 Miles again last week despite the back problems so happy with that -

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - This was meant to be 10 miles but with a combination of aching back and some non-running issues I just decided to knock the run on the head and take an extra rest day

Wednesday - Due to be 5 miles but I had some catching up to do, so, I did 13.5 miles at 9:12 pace - This run felt quite good, tried the Brooks Ravenna's again..Why are they so tough on my feet? (spagbol had the same problem with them) - I hovered around 9:30 pace for most of the run and it felt very easy... Quickened things up in the last couple of miles.

Thursday - Under instruction to take it easy whilst nursing the back and having done 13.5 miles yesterday I headed out and did 4.5 miles. Mile 1 @ 9:32, Mile 2 @ 9:05, Mile 3 @ 7:42, Mile 4 @ 7:32 and the last half mile was a warm-down. What struck me most about tonight's session is how easy my breathing was even as the pace increased.

Thursday - Under instruction to take it easy whilst nursing the back and having done 13.5 miles yesterday I headed out and did 4.5 miles. Mile 1 @ 9:32, Mile 2 @ 9:05, Mile 3 @ 7:42, Mile 4 @ 7:32 and the last half mile was a warm-down. What struck me most about tonight's session is how easy my breathing was even as the pace increased.

You've expanded your aerobic base, you may expect a few pb's over the next while!

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You've expanded your aerobic base, you may expect a few pb's over the next while!

Yeah, he needs to do a few races though. Anything on the plan digger apart from the MSB 5k and the Kclub 10k? I can see you going sub 40 in the kclub assuming conn doesn't kill you.

Yeah, he needs to do a few races though. Anything on the plan digger apart from the MSB 5k and the Kclub 10k? I can see you going sub 40 in the kclub assuming conn doesn't kill you.

The MSB I assume is the one around Stephen's Green? Nope, nothing especially planned between now and the Ultra other than the ones you mention.

Friday - 4 Miles at some ungodly hour this morning - Will be interesting to see how the back does with 21 miles at 9 am tomorrow.

Friday - 4 Miles at some ungodly hour this morning - Will be interesting to see how the back does with 21 miles at 9 am tomorrow.

Is it not 24?:D

Oh and for the umpteenth time, get down to Caran Fitz about that back. He'll fix it, I promise.

Is it not 24?:D

Oh and for the umpteenth time, get down to Caran Fitz about that back. He'll fix it, I promise.

No, 21.... CL's not great at the math!

Re; Ciaran Fitz.... Are you giving me medical advice on this forum ;):)

21.17 miles completed on Saturday - group run in the park. Was to do 14 on Sunday but I went to the rugby and there were pints involved ;)

Despite the back feeling really good yesterday for the first time in ages I 'clicked' something during the night and unfortunately I'm really struggling this morning....

Back in bits.....Ciaran Fitz

Despite the back feeling really good yesterday for the first time in ages I 'clicked' something during the night and unfortunately I'm really struggling this morning....

Finally!!

21.17 miles completed on Saturday - group run in the park. Was to do 14 on Sunday but I went to the rugby and there were pints involved ;)

Finally!!

It's official... 3.30 (same as my Berlin goal time;))

Well, what a month it's been for dig dig.... Ciaran Fitz sorted out the back but I'd missed a few days more due to that and I then got the Mother of all man flu's.... This resulted in me being the WaterBoy the day of the Donadea 50k where me burd ren a great race and finished third in the National Championships :) I missed two weeks running and returned around Feb 19... Got a few runs in (including one very fast one :() and then during an early recovery run the following morning I felt a strain around the outside of my left knee - The next day I was barely able to put weight on that leg. This spelt trouble as I was heading skiing on the 25th... Intensive R.I.C.E. over the next few days slowly but surely eased the problem and come Saturday the 25th I headed off to Austria with CL, a couple of other pals and a smile on my face.

Brilliant week skiing with great snow, weather and craic, you'd want to see CL doing the Riverdance in ski boots ;) - There had been intentions of running every other day but we had little spare time and skied hard each day. Got 4 miles in on the Wednesday though. Came back on Saturday just gone and within a couple of hours I had a scratchy throat and a cold followed...Am I allergic to Ireland? Anyway, had a long chat with CL about the Conn Ultra, my missed training, my crazy job, my stress levels etc. and decided on a change of training to see if I can get myself ready in time, there'll be longer distances and slower pace and the odd 3 miler at strict recovery pace for a couple of weeks and then I'll revert to the mormal taper. But I will be sensible, if I'm not in shape then there'll be no Ultra for me.

Sunday - 12 Miles at 9.40 - It was great to get out although the legs felt heavy from the weeks skiing, especially the quads.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 16.5 miles at 9.27 - Felt sh1te after about 2 miles but then all was good for the rest and felt pretty strong.

The plan is to attempt 30 at the weekend and make my decision following that.

• Advertisement

Thursday - 5 Miles at 8:48 pace.... Legs still feeling heavy but I've had this feeling before and I've still run well so I'm cautiously looking forward to Saturday's 30 miler :eek: If I can manage it then all is hopefully back on track for the Conn Ultra. I'm leaning toward doing the MSB 5k on the 18th but I'll wait to see how I come out of Saturday's LLSR before committing.

After the 5 miles yesterday I gave myself a good going over with the stick for the first time in ages and even ventured onto CL's foam roller which just highlighted the state of my left ITB.... I just didn't have the S&M in me to roll it out properly.

Advertisement