Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck with the 30 miler boss. Either way I think you should do the race next weekend. Helps to have something to break up the monotomy of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I think you should do the race next weekend. Helps to have something to break up the monotomy of training.

Yeah but he hasn't been doing any training :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Good luck with the 30 miler boss. Either way I think you should do the race next weekend. Helps to have something to break up the monotomy of training.

Good point!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but he hasn't been doing any training :P

Better point;)

So, the general plan today was to eat well and drink loads of water in preparation for tomorrow.... It hasn't happened.. Crazy day again at work but leaving now, I miss the early noughties, I miss the 5 o'clock beers on a Friday evening in the sunshine... Is it too late to carb load and hydrate for tomorrow :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    So, the general plan today was to eat well and drink loads of water in preparation for tomorrow.... It hasn't happened.. Crazy day again at work but leaving now, I miss the early noughties, I miss the 5 o'clock beers on a Friday evening in the sunshine... Is it too late to carb load and hydrate for tomorrow :eek:

Is it too late to change to the marathon and link up with Orna enroute, if the 30 doesn't work out?

Don't worry about it, carbo loaing is overrrated anyway.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Is it too late to change to the marathon and link up with Orna enroute, if the 30 doesn't work out?

Deadline was 1st March I think.

Digger, In all seriouslness I am sure you'll be fine. Take the 30 miler handy tomorrow and take a 2 week taper instead of a 3 week one. Maybe try to get another 20 miler before the 5k. If you wan I can hook up with you after work next friday for 20 and we should be recovered for the race on Sunday?

If you wan I can hook up with you after work next friday for 20 and we should be recovered for the race on Sunday?

Fri off, Sat 4 mile recovery with strides would be a good race prep, 20 miler? not so much.:)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Fri off, Sat 4 mile recovery with strides would be a good race prep, 20 miler? not so much.:)

You'd be right of course if the 5k was the goal race ;)

I don't think that doing a 30 miler the weekend before (or in my case racing a marathon) is exactly ideal 5k race preparation either :P

You'd be right of course if the 5k was the goal race ;)

I don't think that doing a 30 miler the weekend before (or in my case racing a marathon) is exactly ideal 5k race preparation either :P

Racing a marathon isn't ideal preparation for anything :pac::P

• Advertisement

30 Mile Howth to Bray

Myself and CL headed off to Bray yesterday morning, ditched the car and jumped on the 7.54 Dart. During the journey we started to realise the actual distance we had to run back, much the same feeling as the first timers the week before. We set off within minutes of our arrival in Howth and found ourselves running into a strong breeze pretty much until we arrived at Westwood for a quick lady loo stop. Off we went again and didn't quite get the correct route around Poolbeg so we knew we'd have half a mile or so to tag on at the end...... The next bunch of miles went by ok, I had decided to be very disciplined with pace as finishing the 30 was the number one goal so we were bang on 9:45 pace as planned.

When we got toward Sandycove we weren't sure which way to go so we just kept as close to the coast as possible. Killiney saw a long long drag of a hill which seemed to go on forever. At this point we thought we thought the lads last week may have been more inland so we calculated we'd need an extra mile in Bray but that was ok. Uneventful miles followed and around Shankill I felt quite strong although I was aware the legs were getting tighter and tighter. CL was looking like she'd just done 3 x 10 minute miles such was the ease with which she was running.

I had been avoiding looking at my Garmin other than to keep an eye on the 9:45 pace, that was until we got into Bray and headed down toward the coast. I was running low physically at this point and the realisation that we still had ove 4 miles to go was pretty crushing. Not having an actual visual finishing point was playing on my mind and by mile 28 my legs were very close to cramping. The last mile was all about keeping form and concentrating on the achievement of doing my longest run ever after such a difficult month with very little training - Then "bing" 30 miles and the feeling was not of elation but of relief.

This morning the legs are tender but better than I thought they'd be. Not making a decision on the 5k for another few days but feeling quite positive about the Ultra, well, positive in that I think I can do it. I reckon some antibiotics may be needed as i just cant shake this chesty crap i have so all in all another week might see me much stronger. Much thanks must go to CL during this run as she knew which buttons to press and which ones to stay well away from.... She's becoming scary good at these long runs by the way!

30.07 miles in 4:52 - 9:44 average pace per mile and elevation of 975 feet.

Good man, well done.

If I can offer a small bit of advice? If you are on antibiotics this week forget about racing next Sunday, you'll be at a low ebb and redlining even for a short period is a bad idea. Focus on the goal, just keep ticking over til then.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done A, fabulous running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I prefer my account of Saturday's run better.... you're in much more pain in my version of events than in your's. Makes for far better TV :D

claralara wrote: »
    I prefer my account of Saturday's run better.... you're in much more pain in my version of events than in your's. Makes for far better TV :D

Well I was so fooked that I can't remember most of the last 5 miles so I'll have to go with your version ;)

Sunday - Rest
    Monday - 3 miles at 9:36, slow, careful recovery run, 4 mile cycle, 4 mile walk.
    Tuesday - 5 miles at 8:28... Faster than planned but didn't want to look like I was training for the Mini Marathon ;)

Legs still feel wrecked, still haven't gone to the Doctor about my chest (most likely won't as I want to be a big man hero and recover all on my own)..... Still have a funny feeling that all will be ok for Conn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great character building run, well done.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Great character building run, well done.

Cheers mate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sunday - Rest
    Monday - 3 miles at 9:36, slow, careful recovery run, 4 mile cycle, 4 mile walk.
    Tuesday - 5 miles at 8:28... Faster than planned but didn't want to look like I was training for the Mini Marathon ;)

Legs still feel wrecked, still haven't gone to the Doctor about my chest (most likely won't as I want to be a big man hero and recover all on my own)..... Still have a funny feeling that all will be ok for Conn.

If you have a chest infection and you're bringing up gunk you shouldn't be running.

Well done on the 30 miler. Surely someone of your age needs about 6 months to recover from such a distance though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Haha, I've noticed a lot of that on the road too this week.

Well done on the 30M on the weekend, I'm sure the beers during the match helped the recovery somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done on the 30 miles digdig. Mind yourself with that chest- typical man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So jealous of your 30 mile jaunt about the coast. You've got a great drill sergeant!

If you have a chest infection and you're bringing up gunk you shouldn't be running.

Well done on the 30 miler. Surely someone of your age needs about 6 months to recover from such a distance though?

Haha...

I've been bringing up gunk on and off since I cleared out my Mother's house back in October - God only knows what I could have picked up doing that :eek:

Aimman wrote: »
    Haha, I've noticed a lot of that on the road too this week.

Well done on the 30M on the weekend, I'm sure the beers during the match helped the recovery somewhat.

Yep, there's a lot of slow birds wearing brand new Reebok zig zags or whatever they're called.... ;)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done on the 30 miles digdig. Mind yourself with that chest- typical man!!

Maybe I took a gel that didn't agree with me ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So jealous of your 30 mile jaunt about the coast. You've got a great drill sergeant!

Well, I wouldn't call it a jaunt ;) but it was a visually lovely run for the first 26 miles, thereafter I just looked at my feet and/or Garmin willing both to move forward. I'll have to name her GI Jane now :)

Wednesday - 5 miles at 8:12 - Just felt like a faster run...

Thursday - 10 miles at 9:14 - Legs are absolutely wrecked and I ate too close to this run, I spent most of it trying to stop chucking up :(

Thursday - 10 miles at 9:14 - Legs are absolutely wrecked and I ate too close to this run, I spent most of it trying to stop chucking up :(

Are you using you 5 mile loop for all these runs? Those undulating pavements would't be the best for the knees.....If you fancy a slow mlr on saturday (10-12 miles) there'll be a few of us in the Park.

Are you using you 5 mile loop for all these runs? Those undulating pavements would't be the best for the knees.....If you fancy a slow mlr on saturday (10-12 miles) there'll be a few of us in the Park.

Not for the 10 miler but I have been using the loop for the 5 milers and you are right, it's like running along the inside of an egg carton!
    I won't do 10/12 on Saturday as I signed up last night for msb 5k... I'm under strict instructions to 'fun run' it at 8 minute miles :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not for the 10 miler but I have been using the loop for the 5 milers and you are right, it's like running along the inside of an egg carton!
    I won't do 10/12 on Saturday as I signed up last night for msb 5k... I'm under strict instructions to 'fun run' it at 8 minute miles :/

claralara doesn't want to lose that bet :pac:

You should run down to Tymon for your regular runs - it's only a mile or two from your place. Or through Bushy and along the Dodder?

Advertisement