Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RayCun wrote: »
    claralara doesn't want to lose that bet :pac:

CL doesn’t want to listen to a man with a 6 month dose of man flu, or a man who’s run flat out, injured his knee and jeopardised his Connemara race… to name but a few examples as to why I think Digdig is full of bad decisions re running at the minute..! I give up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Super run last weekend Clara, you're one tough cookie :)

And of course you too digger :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I won't do 10/12 on Saturday as I signed up last night for msb 5k...

I'll most likely do both, but am still not 100% sure about MSB as the legs aren't fully recovered yet.
    I did a 12 miler at 9;30 pace the day before raheny and it served me well, seemed to loosen out the legs. I'll be using it as a guage of the state of the legs and if I'm running MSB I'll have to pay the extra fiver to sign up on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara doesn't want to lose that bet :pac:

I have a sneaking decision she does.... It sort of makes the decision for her... Sure don't all girls want that :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Super run last weekend Clara, you're one tough cookie :)

And of course you too digger :-)

Here Ruby... She has her own log for all the followers ;)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    CL doesn’t want to listen to a man with a 6 month dose of man flu, or a man who’s run flat out, injured his knee and jeopardised his Connemara race… to name but a few examples as to why I think Digdig is full of bad decisions re running at the minute..! I give up. :mad:

It's New Moany Eh actually ;)

Here Ruby... She has her own log for all the followers ;)

I certainly do! Gehen sie hier gerade aus und nehmen sie die erste strasse links… ;) Thereupon, you will find a log filled with proper, sensible and productive training. It is a far better waste of your time than the muck on this log!

Thanks Ruby :D

The plan for this race was that there was no plan. I was being asked to trot around at 8 min miles and just enjoy the day and focus on Conn. To that end I had 5 cans of delicious Guinness and a load of crisps, popcorn and peanuts on the Friday night. Saturday morning, up bright and early and got the bus into town with CL. The only time she'd previously shared transport with the 'public' before was on Concorde:D We registered and then a while later met marthastew and her speedy Garmin wearing son M. We also bumped into Rach, RK and Digi at the bag drop area and Belcarra and Philip whilst warming up.

Had a good warm up and decided to try run around the 21 minute mark. I reckoned this would be productive in the greater scheme of things and wouldn't push things into injury territory. Saw Meno on the way to the line and took position fairly close to the front. With a 7 minute first mile in mind we started and I hoored off to my first .75 miles at 5.55 pace :eek: What in the name of fook was I up to.... I copped on but really started to pay for my over exuberance up along the canal. I had the normal negative thoughts of ''what the hell are you up to'', ''Why are you doing this, you are injured'', ''Why didn't I listen to advice'' ....My average pace continued to fall and the only thing that actually kept me going was the bet I had with CL and a stubborn streak that lurks beneath. Turning back from Earlsfort Terrace into Leeson St. and I was too slow for sub 20 but too fast for 21 so I just tried to consolidate - I had 6:32 average pace at this stage. I started to get some legs back along the bottom of Pembroke and back onto Baggot St. which I suspect is a good sign, I stretched out toward The Shelbourne and going around the corner of Dawson St. I had a good bit of pace in me and sprinted (sort of) to the line in 20:17 and an average of 6:27.

1. I had a pretty good race despite the recent issues.
    2. I will learn from the 5.55 start.
    3. I won my bet :D
    4. CL smashed her PB:)
    5. With some 5k specific training I have a pretty good time in my locker.

MSB - Well done, first time I've run this race but not the last. A great opportunity to run in the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

To that end I had 5 cans of delicious Guinness and a load of crisps, popcorn and peanuts on the Friday night. Saturday morning, up bright and early and got the bus into town with CL.

You've lost a day here somewhere - exactly how much Guinness did you have? :p

You've lost a day here somewhere - exactly how much Guinness did you have? :p

Ha ha... It's all about preparation... I had a 24 hour warm up ;)

• Advertisement

Just back from a recovery run with CL, well, it started as a recovery run and then turned into one of those ''run as you feel'' type things. Hamstrings felt a little tender this morning so gave them a good go of the stick. Tried to do the ITB's on the foam roller but gave up. Anyway, back to the run, started off at around 10 minute pace and ran up to Tymon Park... Did a loop and a bit, took in that nice little hill and then back home. 7 miles at average of 9:13 pace. Beautiful day for a run, even nicer if you had an LSR planned.

Off now for a coffee followed by dinner in CL's oul wans and back home for a couple of cold cans to wash away the memories of the 'stout' I had with CL and Meno in the Porter House after yesterday's race:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Saturday morning, up bright and early and got the bus into town with CL.

I know you said you were waiting around a while before the race, but that's just ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Delighted it went so well for you, you're in great shape now for Conn.:):):)

4. CL smashed her PB:)

Well done CL, not a bother to you. I think we'll be seeing more and more of this from now on....

Marthastew wrote: »

Well done CL, not a bother to you. I think we'll be seeing more and more of this from now on....

You'd want to start putting on some decent performances if you want people to read your log for interest in what you're doing… For now, I'm happy to be of assistance in your quest for popularity.. :)

Well done again. You survived a CL chicking. Just don't get too comfortable… Maybe I was letting you beat me.. ;)

Well done again. You survived a CL chicking. Just don't get too comfortable… Maybe I was letting you beat me.. ;)

Well, you'll need to dip well under 20 mins in the next 5k to be anywhere near me... Better go get those Kinvara's / do those intervals ;)

Monday - 5 miles at 8:47 - This is the first of these types of runs in ages that I felt quite good and it was easy. Legs are still a bit meh but hopefully taper and a sports massage will sort that out. I'm still toying with one more 20 miler, I know it's way too close to the Ultra but.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm still toying with one more 20 miler, I know it's way too close to the Ultra but.......

Don't be stupid.

Well done on Sunday. I'd better get my arse in gear, you've oap'd me a couple of times over 5k at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well, you'll need to dip well under 20 mins in the next 5k to be anywhere near me... Better go get those Kinvara's / do those intervals ;)

We'll hold onto this post for when the inevitable happens! ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    We'll hold onto this post for when the inevitable happens! ;)

:D

Don't be stupid.

Well done on Sunday. I'd better get my arse in gear, you've oap'd me a couple of times over 5k at this stage.

Have you been talking with CL this morning, I just got the ''20 miles at this stage - are you fooking mad'' phone call:)

I finished 14th in my category, I was however OAP'd myself by quite a few seriously good runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I finished 14th in my category, I was however OAP'd myself by quite a few seriously good runners.

Two M60s under 19 minutes, very impressive

Two M60s under 19 minutes, very impressive

I know... It's nuts, I wonder what times those guys were running 35 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know... It's nuts, I wonder what times those guys were running 35 years ago

Buy them a pint and you'd probably hear more than you ever wanted to know about their glory days :pac:

Have you been talking with CL this morning, I just got the ''20 miles at this stage - are you fooking mad'' phone call:)

Selective memory?! I do believe that's the mild version of the conversation…

Selective memory?! I do believe that's the mild version of the conversation…

I didn't want to 'out' you as a moany bollix ;):D

Tuesday - 5 miles at 8:42
    Wednesday - 6 miles at 9:10
    Thursday - 6 miles at 8:59

My short taper begins tomorrow :)

Friday - Start of taper - 2 miles at 8:25 pace in my new understated Asics Noosa Tri 7's :D

Saturday - 10 Miles at 9:12 pace I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Friday - Start of taper - 2 miles at 8:25 pace in my new understated Asics Noosa Tri 7's :D

Tri shoes. Interesting...

• Advertisement

Tri shoes. Interesting...

Well.... I have the carbon road bike but could do with webbed feet ;)

Advertisement