Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't see the problem in reintroducing some light speedwork :confused:

Good stuff digger. Now answer your text ;)

Text answered :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Run with the 2 hr Guys :confused:

You should definitely give the Wexford half a good Bash, your PB is long overdue being rewritten. Besides I'm not giving you my free entry if you are just gonna run along with Aimman.

It's also far enough away so as not to affect Kildare.
    Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Are you serious?

An yeah, it's 3 weeks away from Kildare. He may as well give the race a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You trying to injure yourself?

I don't see the problem in reintroducing some light speedwork :confused:

Good stuff digger. Now answer your text ;)

Without getting into a debate I'm just thinking he's run an ultra where his legs weren't fully prepared and 10 days later he's out of the blocks @ 7:30 pace with hill reps. Just a thought is all.

Went down to Sportsworld AC last night and had a chat with some of the members, volunteers and Emily Dowling. Very helpful and nice crowd.... Myself and CL did a good Fartlek session with them and more than held our own.

1 mile warm up - 4 miles Fartlek (averaged 7.30 per mile) 1 mile warm down.

Afterwards Emily suggested not to worry about joining fees for another few weeks to make sure we're both happy with the set up etc. :)

• Advertisement

Saturday - Sunny South East - Myself and CL headed out for a slow one... 5 miles at 9:24 pace, this consisted of .8 of a mile downhill to the beach, about 3.2 on the beach itself which probably wasn't a great idea as it's at quite an angle and the only reasonably firm spots were covered in stones so it made for tricky underfoot conditions and it was also very very windy. The .8 back up the hill felt very tough and I was blowing harder than I should have been :(..... Tagged on an extra .2 at the top to make it an even 5 miles.

The 100m thing in Morton Stadium has been moved from Saturday next to the Sunday which is a shame as I won't be able to do it so next weekend I'll be watching CL blow away her PB in The K Club 10k on the Saturday and I'll be running the Wexford Half on the Sunday. I'm yet to make up my mind whether I'll do it as a training run or actually race it. If I race it I'd want a 1:39:something....but I still feel a bit leggy from Conn so it might be smarter to do it as a training run and race the half in Kildare instead.

You may as well race both Digger. 3 weeks after Conn is plenty and you'll have 3 more weeks to recover from Wexford which is more than ample. Wexford will give you a time to aim to break in Kildare.

You may as well race both Digger. 3 weeks after Conn is plenty and you'll have 3 more weeks to recover from Wexford which is more than ample. Wexford will give you a time to aim to break in Kildare.

Dude, I'm 76 years of age ;)

Sunday - Back in Dublin - 5.5 miles 8:41 pace down by the Dodder and back up, had my usual Kenyan running partner with me for what was a lovely evening. Felt better than yesterday but have a few dodgy trigger points in both calf muscles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Digger, when are you gonna change the log title?
    And to what??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    And to what??

"Pipe, slippers and brittle bones but I'm still going"

And to what??

I'll work on that today...;)

And to what??
    "Pipe, slippers and brittle bones but I'm still going"

Has CL been telling stories?? :eek:

Tuesday

Club session
    1.9 miles w/up at 8:34 pace
    Trial session 2.42 mile loop in 15:23 mins
    1.73 mile w/down at 9.14 pace

Good session, extrapolated it comes in around a 19.34 5k and I'm pretty sure I could have kept going for the extra .68 so quite happy with that pace. :)

digger2d2 wrote: »

Good session, extrapolated it comes in around a 19.34 5k and I'm pretty sure I could have kept going for the extra .68 so quite happy with that pace. :)

Good stuff. There's life in the old dog yet :D

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Was at a conference and stayed over, got 3 miles in at 7:45 pace

Friday - Up early for 3 miles at 8.30 pace before breakfast in the hotel followed by golf. Carried the clubs and between that and the first time I've played in about 9 months I was pretty tired afterwards.

Saturday - Up and out to watch CL and the other boardsies in the KClub 10k. Delighted for CL with a super PB in 42:29... There is a sub 40 there no doubt! Was amazed by Donadea Charlotte who trotted the first 5k with her black Labrador, then handed him off to someone to mind to give him a rest and herself a chance to make up some time on the second loop.....before picking him up again with maybe 1.5km nd going on to still finish 3rd in the ladies race... She's some character!

Wexford half tomorrow... Have to target a PB but I'm still a little brittle from Conn and achy from the golf on Friday... That said will head out with the 1:45 guys until the uphill bits are over and will try take a few seconds off the average pace from that point until the end. We'll see how I get on but I haven't run a double figure distance since April the 1st :eek:

You're selling yourself short there A. You'll pb wihout doubt but it will be very soft, when's your A race for a solid pb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck tomorrow dig, sur a half is nothing to you now :)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You're selling yourself short there A. You'll pb wihout doubt but it will be very soft, when's your A race for a solid pb?

Kildare is the target

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow dig, sur a half is nothing to you now :)

Hopefully ;)

• Advertisement

I like the new title but do you know how it could have been better?....

I like the new title but do you know how it could have been better?....

Haha :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I know the feeling.

How did Wexford go?

I know the feeling.

How did Wexford go?

I believe he is now actually qualified to pace Half Marathons (over a variety of time bands).

I know the feeling.

How did Wexford go?

It went quite well apart from the 20 seconds lost due to my lace opening.. 1:36:57 (with a little bit left in the tank ;))

digger2d2 wrote: »
    It went quite well apart from the 20 seconds lost due to my lace opening.. 1:36:57 (with a little bit left in the tank ;))

I told you so! :P Well done!

The plan was to run with Meno and Martha for the first 6-7k until the course levelled off a bit, as usual I changed my mind on the line and decided to try get a little something in the bank on the tough first 6/7 km's. I was going well as the first couple of miles went by, picking off people until my freakin lace opened...Rookie mistake. It was open and flailing around but still had a knot stuck...It took me 20 ish seconds to sort it out :mad:

Anyway, on I went and by the 7 mile mark I was running strongly and had the pace back around the required 7:30.... I pushed on and then started to think about getting into the 1:38's but still held back a little as the hamstrings and quads are still not right... Set my sights on passing people and kicking on so they wouldn't try stay with me and finished strongly all the same in 1:36:57:D

Splits as follows...

Mile 1 - 7:31
    Mile 2 - 7:51
    Mile 3 - 7:52
    Mile 4 - 7:41
    Mile 5 - 7:24
    Mile 6 - 7:26
    Mile 7 - 7:13
    Mile 8 - 7:15
    Mile 9 - 7:11
    Mile 10 - 7:15
    Mile 11 - 7:05
    Mile 12 - 7:19
    Mile 13 - 7:14
    Mile .1 - 6:15

Well done Digger - Cracking time and sounds like you might even have more for next time out!
    Sub 1:35 here you come!

Good man. I'm glad my free entry didn't go to waste ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very nice work! Well done!!! :)

Advertisement